Facts of Life Awards

Lucy was nominated for movie work at Golden Globes (but never won) for "Facts of Life", "Yours Mine Ours" and "Mame". I'm assuming she would have gotten a nomination for "Long Trailer" but could not find a list of nominees. "Facts of Life" was the only movie she made that got that much Oscar -- and other award-- attention. Its only win was for Costume Designer (for a black and white movie) Edith Head. I don't remember the "costumes" as standouts, but good for Edith! It was also nominated for set decoration and cinematography (both in the b/w category), screenplay AND that (IMO!) dreadful title song. Lucy's most prestigious nomination was one of 5 women nominated as Best Actress by the New York Film Critics Awards, which did not divide its awards between comedy and drama. (I remember reading this at one time but can't find a list of nominees for that year).

For vague reasons still unexplained, the movie was withheld from television except for one network showing so I didn't see it until the late 90s.

Given all these award nominations, I was surprised it was such a trifling. Enjoyable but it could have just as easily been a TV presentation. I guess my expectations were too high. With the nominations, especially that one from NY Critics, I was expecting greatness.

I think her performance in "Critics Choice" is better, but the failure of the movie meant no nominations for anybody.

(Don't know why I posted this. I saw the thread about Lucy's Emmy nominations and thought of this.)

Lucy was nominated for movie work at Golden Globes (but never won) for "Facts of Life", "Yours Mine Ours" and "Mame". I'm assuming she would have gotten a nomination for "Long Trailer" but could not find a list of nominees. "Facts of Life" was the only movie she made that got that much Oscar -- and other award-- attention. Its only win was for Costume Designer (for a black and white movie) Edith Head. I don't remember the "costumes" as standouts, but good for Edith! It was also nominated for set decoration and cinematography (both in the b/w category), screenplay AND that (IMO!) dreadful title song. Lucy's most prestigious nomination was one of 5 women nominated as Best Actress by the New York Film Critics Awards, which did not divide its awards between comedy and drama. (I remember reading this at one time but can't find a list of nominees for that year).

For vague reasons still unexplained, the movie was withheld from television except for one network showing so I didn't see it until the late 90s.

Given all these award nominations, I was surprised it was such a trifling. Enjoyable but it could have just as easily been a TV presentation. I guess my expectations were too high. With the nominations, especially that one from NY Critics, I was expecting greatness.

I think her performance in "Critics Choice" is better, but the failure of the movie meant no nominations for anybody.

(Don't know why I posted this. I saw the thread about Lucy's Emmy nominations and thought of this.)

Lucy was on the ballot for the New York Film Critics Circle Award for the year of 1961. I actually think the film did not open in New York until 1961. I believe it is said in Lucy's January 1, 1961 appearance on What's My Line? that the film hasn't opened in the city yet. So, the winner was announced in 1962. Sophia Loren won for "Two Women." The other nominees were Natalie Wood for "Splendor in the Grass," Piper Laurie for "The Hustler," and Rachel Roberts for "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning."

Lucy also came in second for the Golden Laurel for Best Actress in a Comedy that year. She lost to Janet Leigh who has a cameo in the all-star "Pepe."

Apparently, Lucy and Bob's contracts with United Artists stated that the film could not be shown on television until 1966. I have no idea why. ABC broadcast the movie in 1964 and Lucy and Bob's production companies filed a suit to prevent the film from being shown again. I really have no idea why. They were so proud of the film. I wonder why they wouldn't let it air on television.

Edward Stevenson shared the Oscar with Edith Head for costume design. It was in the black and white category, so I assume that by 1960 there wasn't a whole lot of competition. Out of all of Lucy's films, I think "The Facts of Life" is probably the least deserving of an Oscar nomination for costume design. It's nice to know it won something, though.

I don't think there were announced nominees for the Golden Globes until the late 1950s.

Lucy was on the ballot for the New York Film Critics Circle Award for the year of 1961. I actually think the film did not open in New York until 1961. I believe it is said in Lucy's January 1, 1961 appearance on What's My Line? that the film hasn't opened in the city yet. So, the winner was announced in 1962. Sophia Loren won for "Two Women." The other nominees were Natalie Wood for "Splendor in the Grass," Piper Laurie for "The Hustler," and Rachel Roberts for "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning."

Lucy also came in second for the Golden Laurel for Best Actress in a Comedy that year. She lost to Janet Leigh who has a cameo in the all-star "Pepe."

Apparently, Lucy and Bob's contracts with United Artists stated that the film could not be shown on television until 1966. I have no idea why. ABC broadcast the movie in 1964 and Lucy and Bob's production companies filed a suit to prevent the film from being shown again. I really have no idea why. They were so proud of the film. I wonder why they wouldn't let it air on television.

Edward Stevenson shared the Oscar with Edith Head for costume design. It was in the black and white category, so I assume that by 1960 there wasn't a whole lot of competition. Out of all of Lucy's films, I think "The Facts of Life" is probably the least deserving of an Oscar nomination for costume design. It's nice to know it won something, though.

I don't think there were announced nominees for the Golden Globes until the late 1950s.

Janet Leigh for a CAMEO over lovely (Pepe) lead Shirley Jones or our own Big Red in CC?? Sacrilege!! tongue.gif

But seriously.......Well, it may not have been her most "popular" (fan-wise) film with the masses, but it was perhaps considered rather racy and sophisticated for its time --after all, the subject matter was adultery, not exactly the usual fodder for any film of 1960 (and probably a still touchy subject for our leading lady, to boot!). It was certainly of a different time and perhaps that's one reason why we look at it differently today.

Aside from its dated quality, I still think her performance should be considered one of her best and I love that at that post-ILL stage of her career, how cool is it that she at least was still receiving some kudos for appearing in a "mature", well-regarded film, for which I'm sure (I hope!) she was tickled about to no end.

cool.gif

Janet Leigh for a CAMEO over lovely (Pepe) lead Shirley Jones or our own Big Red in CC?? Sacrilege!! tongue.gif

But seriously.......Well, it may not have been her most "popular" (fan-wise) film with the masses, but it was perhaps considered rather racy and sophisticated for its time --after all, the subject matter was adultery, not exactly the usual fodder for any film of 1960 (and probably a still touchy subject for our leading lady, to boot!). It was certainly of a different time and perhaps that's one reason why we look at it differently today.

Aside from its dated quality, I still think her performance should be considered one of her best and I love that at that post-ILL stage of her career, how cool is it that she at least was still receiving some kudos for appearing in a "mature", well-regarded film, for which I'm sure (I hope!) she was tickled about to no end.

cool.gif

I also thought Lucy and Bob did not want that film on tv because of the adult subject matter, so different from both their images at that time. I too am thrilled to read this thread as i did not know Lucy had gotten THREE Golden Globe nominations, i have NEVER seen that in any Lucy book, you see how incomplete and worthless those damned bios can be? If Doris Day got one for Pillow Talk, then Lucy deserved one for Facts of Life, it's so nice to finally see her in something real and sophisticated for a change and of course if the Oscars treated comedy as well as they do drama, she would have gotten a nod for Yours Mine and Ours. And i assume, studio politics played in the fact that she did not get an Oscar nod for Big Street, she was sleeping with Pam Berman, a married man, at the time, right? Or was it just that the film was a flop at the box office so they never mounted a campaign for it or her?

I also thought Lucy and Bob did not want that film on tv because of the adult subject matter, so different from both their images at that time. I too am thrilled to read this thread as i did not know Lucy had gotten THREE Golden Globe nominations, i have NEVER seen that in any Lucy book, you see how incomplete and worthless those damned bios can be? If Doris Day got one for Pillow Talk, then Lucy deserved one for Facts of Life, it's so nice to finally see her in something real and sophisticated for a change and of course if the Oscars treated comedy as well as they do drama, she would have gotten a nod for Yours Mine and Ours. And i assume, studio politics played in the fact that she did not get an Oscar nod for Big Street, she was sleeping with Pam Berman, a married man, at the time, right? Or was it just that the film was a flop at the box office so they never mounted a campaign for it or her?

Lucy's relationship with Pan Berman was five years before The Big Street. In 1942, she was already married to Desi for two years.RKO had no interest in The Big Street and never publicized it. Henry Fonda was on loan from 20th Century-Fox, producer Damon Runyon left the studio, and director Irving Reis enlisted in the army.

Lucy's relationship with Pan Berman was five years before The Big Street. In 1942, she was already married to Desi for two years.RKO had no interest in The Big Street and never publicized it. Henry Fonda was on loan from 20th Century-Fox, producer Damon Runyon left the studio, and director Irving Reis enlisted in the army.

Yeah, i KNEW Lucy and Pan was done by that point but i'm sure it was still NEWS at RKO in 1942, apparently his wife did Lucy's career some harm according to the books. Doers anybody know what Lucy got in acting noms for her TV work at the Globes?

Yeah, i KNEW Lucy and Pan was done by that point but i'm sure it was still NEWS at RKO in 1942, apparently his wife did Lucy's career some harm according to the books. Doers anybody know what Lucy got in acting noms for her TV work at the Globes?

Berman moved to MGM in 1940, so he didn't have any power at the studio. I don't think Lucy's lack of an Oscar nom was a result of that, but rather because RKO completely ignored the film.

Lucy and Desi won a Golden Globe in 1956, the first year the Globes honored TV. Lucy lost every other time she was nominated - 1968 (Carol Burnett won), 1970 (tie: Carol and The Governor & JJ's Julie Sommers), 1971 (Mary Tyler Moore), and 1972 (Carol again).

And I don't know if anyone else has pointed out the irony that 26 years after her movie "The Facts of Life", Lucy's new TV series would be opposite (and be bested in the ratings) by a TV show called....."The Facts of Life".

I have to admit I never saw an episode of FOL, but I know the concept and what has if got to do with the title?? Unless that "Joe" girl ever came out as a lesbian, I don't detect any 'facts of life'.

For that matter, "Facts of Life" movie title has little to do with the movie's subject matter, other than a man and woman thrown together might develop a relationship, albeit unconsumated as dictated by 1960 movie morals. It could have been called virtually anything and I'll bet there were other titles under considerations. Perhaps

"Kitty's Litter"?

"Ruth's Husband and the Hussey"?

"DeFore and After"?

"Bob Hopes to Score"?

What "The Facts of Life" TV series had over "The Facts of Life" movie is a BETTER theme song!

And I don't know if anyone else has pointed out the irony that 26 years after her movie "The Facts of Life", Lucy's new TV series would be opposite (and be bested in the ratings) by a TV show called....."The Facts of Life".

I have to admit I never saw an episode of FOL, but I know the concept and what has if got to do with the title?? Unless that "Joe" girl ever came out as a lesbian, I don't detect any 'facts of life'.

For that matter, "Facts of Life" movie title has little to do with the movie's subject matter, other than a man and woman thrown together might develop a relationship, albeit unconsumated as dictated by 1960 movie morals. It could have been called virtually anything and I'll bet there were other titles under considerations. Perhaps

"Kitty's Litter"?

"DeFore and After"?

"Bob Hopes to Score"?

What "The Facts of Life" TV series had over "The Facts of Life" movie is a BETTER theme song!

"Kitty's Litter"?

"DeFore and After"?

"Bob Hopes to Score"?

Yeah, i remember them beating Lucy with their trip somewhere, i never watched that crappy show either, i guess teen girls did. Now you all have me wondering what the theme song from the movie was that you all call it bad, the ne from the tv show gets into your head and you're singing it for days, damn them!

And maybe the reason Lucy did not get a nomination for Big Street was because she treated it as a comedy. Yeah, if you listen to her Let's Talk to Lucy with Mary Tyler Moore interview, Lucy tells her that she never did drama before she got into tv, only comedies.

She never refers to the movie as a drama, which is so strange to me. In her book, she refers to it as "a light and gay comedy, but with tragic overtones." When she and Carol Burnett were on The David Frost Show together in 1970, Carol tried to convince it was a drama, but Lucy didn't seem to want to go along with it. lol. Although, a lot of the supporting characters are comedic (Eugene Pallete and Sam Levene, especially), neither of the two leads do anything funny.

She never refers to the movie as a drama, which is so strange to me. In her book, she refers to it as "a light and gay comedy, but with tragic overtones." When she and Carol Burnett were on The David Frost Show together in 1970, Carol tried to convince it was a drama, but Lucy didn't seem to want to go along with it. lol. Although, a lot of the supporting characters are comedic (Eugene Pallete and Sam Levene, especially), neither of the two leads do anything funny.

Thanks for the information on the New York Film Critic's nomination. I never knew that. I know I Love Lucy won a lot of awards and Here's Lucy and The Lucy Show's Golden Globe and Emmy info. is public knowledge but other awards and nominations seem loss to general knowledge. Did Lucy get any other awards for her movies? Did any of her TV specials get awards beside the Danny Kaye Show one she guest starred on? (That one got 3 emmy Nods (Outstanding Program in Achievement in the Field of Humor, Program of the Year, and Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Musical Program or Series (Danny Kaye) and 1 Director's Guild Award nomiation.) I can never find again online but didn't Lucy win a Alexandra's (what was this award?) for Stage Door for Best Supporting Actress. Lucy got a lot of honors but not enough compare to others that came later.

Maybe she never got over Fonda telling her after that dance while in bed, moving her legs, YOU'RE NOT GONNA DO IT THAT WAY ARE YOU? So she figured that scene was comedy, LOL! And then when she struggles to get up at the end, stands on his feet as he whirls her around the room while everybody sobs, and then she dies in his arms, well, i've never seen anything so hilarious put on film, LOL! It's the way he climbs the stairs probably about to throw her off the ledge when he gets upstairs, man that was so friggin funny i nearly bust a gut!

I just figured despite her excellent turn they didn't think to push an Oscar nom for her because it was still considered a "B" picture. In reading this thread, I have to wonder now too if Lucy herself didn't consider it mainly a drama, then how would the Academy possibly know what to make of it?

Still, I find it to be one of if not THE finest dramatic turns proving to any doubter once and for all that she really had the chops and what I like about is she's got plenty of great comedic lines too.

I need to watch this again!! It's been too long! :o

I just figured despite her excellent turn they didn't think to push an Oscar nom for her because it was still considered a "B" picture. In reading this thread, I have to wonder now too if Lucy herself didn't consider it mainly a drama, then how would the Academy possibly know what to make of it?

Still, I find it to be one of if not THE finest dramatic turns proving to any doubter once and for all that she really had the chops and what I like about is she's got plenty of great comedic lines too.

I need to watch this again!! It's been too long! :o

Her BEST dramatic performance E V E R and maybe her finest acting E V E R and she N E V E R looked more beautiful on film, angelic, and that's the bitchiest bitch there e v e r was. Unless you count the days on the set with peter marshall.

Thanks for the information on the New York Film Critic's nomination. I never knew that. I know I Love Lucy won a lot of awards and Here's Lucy and The Lucy Show's Golden Globe and Emmy info. is public knowledge but other awards and nominations seem loss to general knowledge. Did Lucy get any other awards for her movies? Did any of her TV specials get awards beside the Danny Kaye Show one she guest starred on? (That one got 3 emmy Nods (Outstanding Program in Achievement in the Field of Humor, Program of the Year, and Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Musical Program or Series (Danny Kaye) and 1 Director's Guild Award nomiation.) I can never find again online but didn't Lucy win a Alexandra's (what was this award?) for Stage Door for Best Supporting Actress. Lucy got a lot of honors but not enough compare to others that came later.

It appears that the Alexandria Award was made up by some guy. It's not a real award. It's some film fan's personal picks for the best of that year. He nominated Lucy for Stage Door, but picked Dame May Whitty for Night Must Fall as the winner.

I found his list here: My link

And this kind of explains about the guy who made the award: My link

Another award she received for her film work was the 1951 Laurel Award given by Motion Picture Exhibitor magazine for "Best Comedienne of 1950" for Fancy Pants. Judy Holliday also won for Born Yesterday.

It's avaliable as part of a Bob Hope DVD collection, but not seperately. Personally, I would have put The Facts of Life on Lucy's DVD collection and Critic's Choice in Bob's.

Good point although from what they said about the movie i dun't thin either one wanted Critic's Choice on anything pertaining to them, LOL!

Archived