Here's Lucy Award Won

I always felt it was a sign of changing times and generation gap bias Lucy didn't win any of her nominations or got more for Here's Lucy.  I came across a website with old magazines some Lucy related.  I was happy to see Lucy won Best Actress-Comedy at the Seventh Annual Hollywood Festival of World TV for Here's Lucy see https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Magazines/Archive-BC-IDX/71-OCR/1971-09-27-BC-OCR-Page-0021.pdf#search="lucille ball".  Besides the 2 Emmy & 2 Golden Globe nominations did the show or Lucy win any award?  Despite some high ratings, I doubt her 70s specials did either

2 hours ago, Will said:

I always felt it was a sign of changing times and generation gap bias Lucy didn't win any of her nominations or got more for Here's Lucy.  I came across a website with old magazines some Lucy related.  I was happy to see Lucy won Best Actress-Comedy at the Seventh Annual Hollywood Festival of World TV for Here's Lucy see https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Magazines/Archive-BC-IDX/71-OCR/1971-09-27-BC-OCR-Page-0021.pdf#search="lucille ball".  Besides the 2 Emmy & 2 Golden Globe nominations did the show or Lucy win any award?  Despite some high ratings, I doubt her 70s specials did either

No...sadly the "Emmy love" for Lucy seemed to dip precipitously (sp?) after her 2nd win for "The Lucy Show", and didn't return (as far as I recall) (although I will always feel "Stone Pillow" should have garnered her not only an nomination, but a win for Best Dramatic Actress - TV Drama/Special or whatever applicable category it would have been in all those years ago... 😎

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, JoeySoCal said:

No...sadly the "Emmy love" for Lucy seemed to dip precipitously (sp?) after her 2nd win for "The Lucy Show", and didn't return (as far as I recall) (although I will always feel "Stone Pillow" should have garnered her not only an nomination, but a win for Best Dramatic Actress - TV Drama/Special or whatever applicable category it would have been in all those years ago... 😎

Agree that at least a nomination for "Pillow" seemed appropriate, if for nothing else being a trouper, forging ahead in layered winter clothes despite the unseasonable NYC heat wave.   "Here's Lucy" won as Best TV Comedy in 1971 from some TV association.  I can't find the Variety clipping right now.  I don't know what the Emmy nomination criteria is, but when Lucy won in 1968, there were 5 nominees.  For 70-71, there were only three for Best Actress in a Comedy while there were 5 for Best Actor.  This was the only season HL got any Emmy recognition that I know of.  Gale and Bob&Madelyn's Burton script.  Both lost to MTM people.   In the seasons in between, Lucy was passed over for lesser performers.  The winner for both years, Hope Lange was as good a choice as any given the other none-outstanding nominees.  Hope won despite her series being cancelled TWICE.  First by NBC, then by ABC.  I don't remember much about "Ghost & Mrs. Muir" but it didn't seem like much was required from Hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

I always felt it was a sign of changing times and generation gap bias Lucy didn't win any of her nominations or got more for Here's Lucy.  

I'm sure ageism was a big part of it. To be fair, Lucille Ball was also phoning it in quite a bit by the time Here's Lucy came around - obviously looking at cue cards, hamming it up for the audience, doing broad takes, etc. There wasn't the same level of nuance and subtlety that she had during I Love Lucy or the first few seasons of The Lucy Show. 

To be honest, if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't have given Lucille Ball the Outstanding Continuing Performance Emmy in 1968, either - I think it should have gone to Elizabeth Montgomery in Bewitched, which was still in its prime (creatively) at that point. But I'm sure others will disagree. 

All that being said, I definitely think Lucille Ball deserved an award for What Now, Catherine Curtis? I think she was great in that. 

• Like 3

On 5/24/2021 at 7:18 PM, teenageluminary said:

I'm sure ageism was a big part of it. To be fair, Lucille Ball was also phoning it in quite a bit by the time Here's Lucy came around - obviously looking at cue cards, hamming it up for the audience, doing broad takes, etc. There wasn't the same level of nuance and subtlety that she had during I Love Lucy or the first few seasons of The Lucy Show. 

To be honest, if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't have given Lucille Ball the Outstanding Continuing Performance Emmy in 1968, either - I think it should have gone to Elizabeth Montgomery in Bewitched, which was still in its prime (creatively) at that point. But I'm sure others will disagree. 

All that being said, I definitely think Lucille Ball deserved an award for What Now, Catherine Curtis? I think she was great in that. 

Ahhh the dichotomy of being both a HUGE, life-long fan of both Lucy/I Love Lucy et. al. AND Liz Montgomery/Bewitched and feeling she too deserved Emmy love, despite several well-deserved nominations, should have won at least for the first two seasons of BW (1964-65 and 1965-66) if not 1968 as well... she virtually carried the show in the 5th season (1968-69) what with York's exacerbated back injury, several MIA episodes and his eventual literally being carried off the set, never to return... but I don't want to appear at all disloyal to Lucy either as any Emmy win she had was also well deserved IMHO... :HALKING:

16 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Ahhh the dichotomy of being both a HUGE, life-long fan of both Lucy/I Love Lucy et. al. AND Liz Montgomery/Bewitched and feeling she too deserved Emmy love, despite several well-deserved nominations, should have won at least for the first two seasons of BW (1964-65 and 1965-66) if not 1968 as well... she virtually carried the show in the 5th season (1968-69) what with York's exacerbated back injury, several MIA episodes and his eventual literally being carried off the set, never to return

Always nice to meet a fellow Bewitched fan! Since the pandemic, I've been watching a lot of episodes at home. The first few seasons were so good, particularly when Dick York was on the show. William Asher (who also worked on I Love Lucy,) produced Bewitched, and there were a couple of episodes that "borrowed" from I Love Lucy. There was one episode where Samantha's cousin Serena and her Uncle Arthur lost their powers and ended up making banana splits at the local ice cream parlor. The whole scene was a homage to the candy factory episode from ILL, and it was hilarious! 

In real life, Agnes Moorehead (who played Endora) and Lucille Ball were friends, dating back to when they did The Big Street together in 1942, and Agnes invited Lucy to the lavish Christmas parties she threw at her house every year. The entire Bewitched cast would attend those as well. Kasey Rogers, who played Louise Tate on Bewitched, said she first met Lucy at one of Agnes' Christmas parties. Later on, Kasey ended up guest starring in an episode of The Lucy Show, where she played Phil Harris' love interest. In the interview I read, Kasey had nothing but the nicest things to say about working with Lucy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 7:04 AM, teenageluminary said:

There was one episode where Samantha's cousin Serena and her Uncle Arthur lost their powers and ended up making banana splits at the local ice cream parlor. The whole scene was a homage to the candy factory episode from ILL, and it was hilarious!  

What makes that particular Bewitched episode even more unique is that it is the only one in the entire series to feature BOTH cousin Serena and Uncle Arthur together.

• Like 1