Rolling Stone's 100 Best Sitcoms of All Time

Justin

Ken had another Lucy post over the weekend. The comments section is pretty good.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2021/05/weekend-post_0335712146.html

Does anyone know what Desi show this was?

"I spent a good hour under a car with him shooting some long-forgotten show. He was a mechanic, I was his goofy assistant. I was in awe the entire time. Still am."

• Like 1

Love this anonymous comment 

"Unimportant side-note (but I think noteworthy, at any rate): when I was a kid, my family went on one of those invasive Tour of the Star's Homes. You know, rubes in the big city, what can I say? Apologies to anyone who actually lives there and has to sit behind a big old bus on one of your narrow streets. Anyway, a lot of those tours are bullshit. They have no idea where anybody lives. But this was the 80s and, sure enough, we stopped outside Mlle. Ball's mansion and there she was in her front yard. That kind of thing is a terrible invasion of privacy and wouldn't happen nowadays, wouldn't be received well at all but she came to her gate, waved, posed for pictures, talked with us. And she had clearly not gotten ready for her day, was in her robe - just an amazing lady."

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 8:44 AM, Luvsbway said:

Ken had another Lucy post over the weekend. The comments section is pretty good.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2021/05/weekend-post_0335712146.html

Does anyone know what Desi show this was?

"I spent a good hour under a car with him shooting some long-forgotten show. He was a mechanic, I was his goofy assistant. I was in awe the entire time. Still am."

Desi Sr. or Jr.? J(unio)r. had the lead in ABC"s short-lived Automan, correct? Would that have involved the car repair scene referenced?? (I don't think I ever watched it, despite young Mr. Arnaz's presence :HALKING:)

1 hour ago, JoeySoCal said:

Desi Sr. or Jr.? J(unio)r. had the lead in ABC"s short-lived Automan, correct? Would that have involved the car repair scene referenced?? (I don't think I ever watched it, despite young Mr. Arnaz's presence :HALKING:)

Sr based on the rest of his post. There is a scene in Ironside where Desi is in a car crash due to a tie rod cut. I think there was a mechanic in that. Its the only thing that made sense to me based on Desi's post 1960s work I've seen. But Desi wasn't a mechanic, he was a doctor.

• Like 1

Like a lot of these All-Time Best Lists, this one is top heavy with more recent shows some of which I've never seen and an alarming number I've never heard of.  I was glad to see Burns & Allen made the list even if it was only #85.   Some series might have made the list if you just looked at their first two seasons: Bewitched (did I miss it on the list?), The Lucy Show and The Beverly Hillbillies, whose first season is hilarious in no small part due to the presence of Bea Benedaret as Pearl Bodine. 

On 5/13/2021 at 4:49 PM, Luvsbway said:

Sr based on the rest of his post. There is a scene in Ironside where Desi is in a car crash due to a tie rod cut. I think there was a mechanic in that. Its the only thing that made sense to me based on Desi's post 1960s work I've seen. But Desi wasn't a mechanic, he was a doctor.

Ok makes sense...couldn't remember Desi Jr.'s role as I don't recall that I ever even watched that show..and given its premise, probably not! (despite hunky Jr.'s presence!). :HALKING:

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2021 at 7:09 AM, Neil said:

Like a lot of these All-Time Best Lists, this one is top heavy with more recent shows some of which I've never seen and an alarming number I've never heard of.  I was glad to see Burns & Allen made the list even if it was only #85.   Some series might have made the list if you just looked at their first two seasons: Bewitched (did I miss it on the list?), The Lucy Show and The Beverly Hillbillies, whose first season is hilarious in no small part due to the presence of Bea Benedaret as Pearl Bodine. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if a good portion of those who made that list were under the age of 40. It's quite evident. I think it would be better to have each generation (Silent Generation, Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millennials, Generation Z, etc.) compile their own list of the 100 greatest sitcoms and then go from there in making the "100 Greatest Sitcoms" list. That way each generation gets equal input on the list.

• Like 1