Ginger Coaxes the Blues Right Out of the Horn

Neil

:lucyhaha:

Great video! Did they still use the Lansbury caricature for Ginger's Mame posters/programs?

The Mame caricature doesn't really resemble Angela and as far as I know, they used it for all the Broadway Mames.

So there's a Ginger recording out there somewhere? Along with the Ann Sothern tapes?

Hopefully both will surface someday.

If they recorded Ann's on video and it's released on DVD, the title in the scene selections for the "Man in the Moon"-mounting chapter might be "Lunar Eclipse".

(I hate to make Ann Sothern fat jokes, because like Ethel Mertz she wasn't all THAT big. She was short and busty so a little weight went a long ways, but people seem to obsess about her weight.)

The Mame caricature doesn't really resemble Angela and as far as I know, they used it for all the Broadway Mames.

So there's a Ginger recording out there somewhere? Along with the Ann Sothern tapes?

Hopefully both will surface someday.

If they recorded Ann's on video and it's released on DVD, the title in the scene selections for the "Man in the Moon"-mounting chapter might be "Lunar Eclipse".

(I hate to make Ann Sothern fat jokes, because like Ethel Mertz she wasn't all THAT big. She was short and busty so a little weight went a long ways, but people seem to obsess about her weight.)

Yes, we all do, including Ann herself but it sure looked great on her, she was round but gorgeous, zovtic in the best sense, she looked the same all through her life, gorgeous to the end, even in Whales of August, she looked terrific.

• 2 months later...

Ginger in the title number from Mame:

That's great! It's amazing how much Ginger looks like Lucy in Mame. Ginger and Lucy were born 3 weeks apart in 1911. She is 4 years younger here than Lucy doing the same number. The choreography is almost exactly the same, except shouldn't the line be revised to say "You've brought the goose-step back into style"? Ginger's fast high kicks look like "Springtime for Hitler" choreography. And doesn't the tempo of the whole number seem sort of FAST?

That's great! It's amazing how much Ginger looks like Lucy in Mame. Ginger and Lucy were born 3 weeks apart in 1911. She is 4 years younger here than Lucy doing the same number. The choreography is almost exactly the same, except shouldn't the line be revised to say "You've brought the goose-step back into style"? Ginger's fast high kicks look like "Springtime for Hitler" choreography. And doesn't the tempo of the whole number seem sort of FAST?

My thoughts exactly, i was wondering why she was goosestepping instead of cakewalking, and she looks EXACTLY like Lucy did in Mame. The number sure is less impressive on stage huh? But it was still great to see, i was looking for something special for my 30 thousanth post.

One more Ginger/Mame video: From "The Dean Martin Show," Ginger does a bit of "That's How Young I Feel" and then joins Dean on "Dancing" from her other Jerry Herman musical, "Hello, Dolly!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM1qACb_9cQ

Now if someone could find the video of Carol Channing's hilariously horrifying version of "That How Young I Feel" from "The Dean Martin Show," I would be eternally grateful. http://www.lucylounge.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/marionstrong.gif

Another LATER YEAR Ginger Rogers number to fawn over would be the one she did on Night of 100 Stars, introduced by yet another of your favorite entertainers, Dick Van Dyke, who participates in the number all the way through along with most of the famous dancers who have ever done the twinkletoes BIT. AND they had to redo the number due to some technical difficulties and yet still got the biggest hand of the night from the Radio City Music Hall audience. :lucyhorror:

Another LATER YEAR Ginger Rogers number to fawn over would be the one she did on Night of 100 Stars, introduced by yet another of your favorite entertainers, Dick Van Dyke, who participates in the number all the way through along with most of the famous dancers who have ever done the twinkletoes BIT. AND they had to redo the number due to some technical difficulties and yet still got the biggest hand of the night from the Radio City Music Hall audience. :lucyhorror:

And speaking of Radio City, here's Ginger rehearsing a number for her show there with her back up group The Claude Courval Dancers

Ginger trivia: For 2 years her married name was "Ginger Pepper".

And speaking of Radio City, here's Ginger rehearsing a number for her show there with her back up group The Claude Courval Dancers

Ginger trivia: For 2 years her married name was "Ginger Pepper".

Ah yes, i looked so young back then, i remember when i choreographed that number and had to CATCH da pepper, i dropped her at first, i knew that when you drop salt you throw some over your shoulder, but with Ms pepper, i threw one of the dancers under my legs instead, i was engaged to three of those guys at one time or another, yeah, those were great times. She looked terrific back then and danced like a dream.

• 2 years later...

Here's the pilot for proposed Ginger Rogers Show. Also featuring Umberrrto Fabrrrani.

I think this could have been a good series. It does, however, have kind of a static feel to it like many shows of this period that weren't filmed in front of a live audience. Of course, it would have been impossible to have filmed this in front of an audience. I like the fact that most of the episodes would only concentrate on one of the twins and the episodes would encompass a variety of genres. It think it was produced for CBS in 1961 and the shows they did pick up that year weren't too successful. The low rated new series The Dick Van Dyke Show took a year to become a hit.

Should have been called "The Twin-ger Rogers Show"

The only thing missing was having RG Brown and William Lanteau as rival "Spikes",fiercely loyal to their respective Gingers.

I read somewhere that it was deemed too expensive to produce, though I don't know why since they did the same with Patty Duke.

This ran at least once as a segment of "Vacation Playhouse", Lucy's summer replacement which made me assume it was a Desilu show but it wasn't.

Hmm...I'm not sure how I feel about the pilot itself, but the premise and future potential is quite interesting. Thanks for digging this out!

(Elizabeth and Margaret, eh? That's a bit on the nose. lol)

Archived