Ethel's Kitchen!!! Where does Lucy do her laundrey?

This is probably the only time that we see Ethel's kitchen. I have always wondered why it is different from the rest of the apartments in that building or the Ricardo's two apartments that they rented in that building. Ethel gets enough room in her kitchen to have a washer installed to use and possibly a dryer as well. I was shocked to see that Ethel is still using an icebox. Where is Ethel's stove and oven?

Ricky buys a new washer and dryer for Lucy in this episode. Where is it placed for Lucy to use? It certainly not in Lucy's small compact kitchen. I thought it would be placed outside Lucy's kitchen door on the ledge.

Why hang clothes in the kitchen that would take forever to dry? The kitchen probably doesn't have vents for the furnace. Doesn't Lucy have room outside the kitchen door?

This is probably the only time that we see Ethel's kitchen. I have always wondered why it is different from the rest of the apartments in that building or the Ricardo's two apartments that they rented in that building. Ethel gets enough room in her kitchen to have a washer installed to use and possibly a dryer as well. I was shocked to see that Ethel is still using an icebox. Where is Ethel's stove and oven?

Ricky buys a new washer and dryer for Lucy in this episode. Where is it placed for Lucy to use? It certainly not in Lucy's small compact kitchen. I thought it would be placed outside Lucy's kitchen door on the ledge.

Why hang clothes in the kitchen that would take forever to dry? The kitchen probably doesn't have vents for the furnace. Doesn't Lucy have room outside the kitchen door?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wonders about things like this. And this particular thing has always bothered me!

Hey this thread reminds me...I haven't done my "annual" "BENSON APARTMENT" rant in a couple years! :marionstrong::marionstrong: The main point of which being the nursery. Which used to be the Benson's daughter's bedroom. The grown daughter would have to have walked through her parents' bedroom to get to her own, teeny tiny bedroom! Not to mention how absurd it was to have Lucy and the Mertzes ALONE moving/swapping all the Benson's and the Ricardos' personal things in so little time! :P But back to Teri's topic...I guess Lucy hand washed everything?? Her back porch would have been a good place for an old fashioned clothes-line. When they moved to CT, I think the washer and dryer are pretty evident. Off the kitchen?

Lucy's washing machine is in the basement ("up and down the stairs... tote those shirts, lift those sheets!") She presumably usually hangs the clothes on the balcony, but can't at the beginning of the episode because it looks like rain.

Harry....your memory is....SCARY!! I mean that in a good way! ;)

Lucy's washing machine is in the basement ("up and down the stairs... tote those shirts, lift those sheets!") She presumably usually hangs the clothes on the balcony, but can't at the beginning of the episode because it looks like rain.

As a lifetime renter, I am assuming that Fred has a special room in that basement for those washer machines and that he is leasing them out for the tenant's to use. The impression I am getting is that the tenant's have to buy their own washers to place in that room to use. Which means that anyone in that building can use that machine when no one else is around. How many tenant's in that building have their washing machine's installed there? There shouldn't be any room for that. I can believe that there is a coin operated laudramat nearby for Lucy to do her clothes. I am guessing that is the reason why Lucy is going up and down those stairs everyday.

I am guessing that Ethel's handy dandy washer actually broked down and was discarded. I wanted to say that it was stolen but since Ethel has an oversized kitchen more grandeur than Lucy's than that couldn't happened. Maybe Fred sold the handy dandy for an old used one to get some fast cash. I am more surprised that he bought Ethel a washer at all.

As a lifetime renter, I am assuming that Fred has a special room in that basement for those washer machines and that he is leasing them out for the tenant's to use. The impression I am getting is that the tenant's have to buy their own washers to place in that room to use. Which means that anyone in that building can use that machine when no one else is around. How many tenant's in that building have their washing machine's installed there? There shouldn't be any room for that. I can believe that there is a coin operated laudramat nearby for Lucy to do her clothes. I am guessing that is the reason why Lucy is going up and down those stairs everyday.

I am guessing that Ethel's handy dandy washer actually broked down and was discarded. I wanted to say that it was stolen but since Ethel has an oversized kitchen more grandeur than Lucy's than that couldn't happened. Maybe Fred sold the handy dandy for an old used one to get some fast cash. I am more surprised that he bought Ethel a washer at all.

Frankly, I think you're overthinking it. These were written 60 years ago with no thought or earthly idea that we'd be picking them apart and analyzing all this minutuae all these years later! Shit, they didn't even know they'd be RERUN let alone transferred to every eventual video format known to man!!

Plus, as we all know, they weren't exactly forerunners of continuity -- something I think that DID come into play with the advent of repeats and the films being sold into syndication. Remember, this was unchartered territory back then..... hard to believe in this day and age where you can watch lots of things "On Demand", by popping in a DVD or Blu-Ray or even over the internet in various forms, e.g. YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Voodoo, Who Do? and Hee -Haw, for that matter! The mind boggles!!! :HALKING:

Frankly, I think you're overthinking it. These were written 60 years ago with no thought or earthly idea that we'd be picking them apart and analyzing all this minutuae all these years later! Shit, they didn't even know they'd be RERUN let alone transferred to every eventual video format known to man!!

Plus, as we all know, they weren't exactly forerunners of continuity -- something I think that DID come into play with the advent of repeats and the films being sold into syndication. Remember, this was unchartered territory back then..... hard to believe in this day and age where you can watch lots of things "On Demand", by popping in a DVD or Blu-Ray or even over the internet in various forms, e.g. YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Voodoo, Who Do? and Hee -Haw, for that matter! The mind boggles!!! :HALKING:

Thank you for stating that fact yet again, i was just too tired, LOL!

Frankly, I think you're overthinking it.

I don't think Teri's "overthinking" anything--just stating the obvious. I personally think it's fun to bring up all these silly discrepancies and incontinuities. Whether the show wasn't expected to be analyed some 60 years later is irrelevant. There are some ILL plots that are just utterly assine, and totally implausible. I mean...how stupid was it to write a scene with a 12 foot ? loaf of bread coming out of an oven with about three feet of depth?? Even when I was six, I thought that was retarded! :marionstrong::lucythrill:

I don't think Teri's "overthinking" anything--just stating the obvious. I personally think it's fun to bring up all these silly discrepancies and incontinuities. Whether the show wasn't expected to be analyed some 60 years later is irrelevant. There are some ILL plots that are just utterly assine, and totally implausible. I mean...how stupid was it to write a scene with a 12 foot ? loaf of bread coming out of an oven with about three feet of depth?? Even when I was six, I thought that was retarded! :marionstrong::lucythrill:

You know, i can see BOTH sides of this coin. On the one hand, we've discussed absolutely everything about the show over the decades so it's always nice when someone brings up something different we never thought about before, thank you Teri, BUT, we've seen the shows much too often and we know them by heart and then take the time to find these little plot points or things nobody ever thought about in each episode as we pick them apart to finally find something new and interesting about them to talk about, THERE WAS THIS FLOWER POT WITH NINETEEN FLOWERS AND ON THE PICK UP SHOT THERE WERE ONLY SEVENTEEN FLOWERS, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TWO FLOWERS????? They were created to entertain, to make people laugh, they thought the show would run a year, instead 60 years later, they are still being watched, and analyzed to death and picked apart and searched for logic, they were also originally made to be seen on small screens in grainy black and white images, so the actors overemphasized their every reaction, the bread was SUPPOSED to be seen as gigantic, common sense went out the window above that stove to get the bloody laughs. Yes, they ditched continuity, sometimes even credulity, thank God the topical references were few but they also don't get the same laughs sixty years later. But the original humor was funny then and it's still funny now, that's enough for me. What other shows are funny decades later, the new ones today aren't funny at all. As much as i love finding out new things about the show, i was aghast when told Lucy was seen standing in a doorway when she was supposed to be sleeping backstage in the Vitameatavegamin show, how could goofs like that survive filming? Well, because back then it was a new medium, it was done fast and they did 35 of them in a season, not 22 or in some cases now, T E N ! If they had known they were filming the Citizen Kane of television, they would have examined everything with a fine tooth comb, instead they got out the best comedy show on television in four or five days, they got it all in the can regardless of that can being dented or not. For the pick up shots, the actors were not told, ok, you were crying before when Ricky was told he was going to be a father, so fake crying now an hour later as the audience is gone but we're filming some close ups, so now, as we watch decades later, we wonder, hey, why are those people not showing any emotion? But more important we are laughing our heads off, not analyzing every single scene with a magnefying glass and jotting them on paper. It's supposed to be escapism, not realism. Ok, i guess i did have the strength to say that again, LOL!

I have been watching alot of the Lucy reruns recently and since I have seen them many times before, my mind strays to certain areas of the shows that I didn't pay too much attention before. Like today I was watching "Ricky Sells The Car" and I was always irritated that the Mertzes overreacted to Ricky selling the car and forgetting to buy the train tickets. Watching it today I felt that Ricky was being a jerk in only confiding in Lucy his intentions to sell the car. You would think that he would confide in Fred before Lucy. He usually does and in this case he didn't. Plus forgetting those tickets because he had too much on his mind. Well, I thought it was a lame excuse. I loved how the writers used Marlon Brando's film "The Wild One" for Fred and Ethel's motorbicycle solution to get back to New York City. I wouldn't have gotten the connection with that scene and "The Wild One" if I didn't see that film a couple of years ago.

I have been watching alot of the Lucy reruns recently and since I have seen them many times before, my mind strays to certain areas of the shows that I didn't pay too much attention before. Like today I was watching "Ricky Sells The Car" and I was always irritated that the Mertzes overreacted to Ricky selling the car and forgetting to buy the train tickets. Watching it today I felt that Ricky was being a jerk in only confiding in Lucy his intentions to sell the car. You would think that he would confide in Fred before Lucy. He usually does and in this case he didn't. Plus forgetting those tickets because he had too much on his mind. Well, I thought it was a lame excuse. I loved how the writers used Marlon Brando's film "The Wild One" for Fred and Ethel's motorbicycle solution to get back to New York City. I wouldn't have gotten the connection with that scene and "The Wild One" if I didn't see that film a couple of years ago.

And as for me, the thing that bugged me about that car and most cars at that time on tv was the fact that it didn't have a windshield and how about those lame backdrops which were so obvious in their fakeness.

And as for me, the thing that bugged me about that car and most cars at that time on tv was the fact that it didn't have a windshield and how about those lame backdrops which were so obvious in their fakeness.

I don't know if Lucy would have wanted to be blocked by a windshield while they were singing away to California. I have always liked seeing the television backdrop improve while the series became more successful. Who could watch the Ricardos go back to that dreary apartment in New York after the beautiful hotel room in Hollywood and the many nice hotel rooms in Europe. If you want to see a great MGM film with poor scenery background just check out "Brigadoon". I heard that Gene Kelly wanted to do this film on location but coouldn't muster the money for it from the studio. When I think of "Brigadoon", I think of "Lucy Goes To Scotland".

Plus forgetting those tickets because he had too much on his mind. Well, I thought it was a lame excuse.

I really like the character continuity of Ricky. He was forgetful many times! (Not knowing the date of their anniversary, thinking it was Lucy's birthday when it wasn't) So this plot point is part of who Ricky is.

I really like the character continuity of Ricky. He was forgetful many times! (Not knowing the date of their anniversary, thinking it was Lucy's birthday when it wasn't) So this plot point is part of who Ricky is.

Yeah that is a consistant theme with Ricky forgetting his wedding anniversary like in "The Fur Coat" when Lucy tricked him into thinking it was their wedding anniversary and on "Ethel's Birthday" Ricky thought he forgot Lucy's birthday. They also show some episodes that he remembers both Lucy's birthday and anniversary. The episodes "The Anniversary Present" when he surprises Lucy with a special gift and "Lucy's Birthday" when he surprises Lucy with a party. Plus, the episodes "The Sentimental Anniversary" on which both plan together an intimate evening with each other even though the Mertzes attempt to throw them a surpise party and Ricky buys her the Westport home for their anniversary gift in "Lucy Wants To Move To The Country".

Yeah that is a consistant theme with Ricky forgetting his wedding anniversary like in "The Fur Coat" when Lucy tricked him into thinking it was their wedding anniversary and on "Ethel's Birthday" Ricky thought he forgot Lucy's birthday. They also show some episodes that he remembers both Lucy's birthday and anniversary. The episodes "The Anniversary Present" when he surprises Lucy with a special gift and "Lucy's Birthday" when he surprises Lucy with a party. Plus, the episodes "The Sentimental Anniversary" on which both plan together an intimate evening with each other even though the Mertzes attempt to throw them a surpise party and Ricky buys her the Westport home for their anniversary gift in "Lucy Wants To Move To The Country".

"Well...he's a man, isn't he?" ;)

Archived