Life With Lucy: Mother of the Bride

Will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0VZwps6O-8

This is classic Lucy and match the best The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy. Lucy and Audrey play wonderful together. The cake fight is realistic; the emotions between the two redheads (who do look like sisters) is very touching and heartfelt; and Curtis isn't yelling at Lucy but helping her. If all the Life With Lucy were like this one the show would have lasted for seasons. I love the following parts as well.

Lucy (after calling for help and no one came until she said “Dinner’s ready.â€) “Now I know what to say when I get mugged.â€

Margo: “Things got out of hand.â€

Lucy winks: “She means I got out of hand.â€

Margo: “We’re not even Catholic.â€

Lucy: “I go to Bingo.â€

Kevin: “Great I didn’t go to your first wedding.â€

Curtis (funny look) “Thank goodness.â€

I love the look Lucy gives when Margo goes to hug Audrey after she mentions the white tea roses

Oh, please! She and Meadows worked well together but no one would, could EVER take Viv's place! :P

Lucy needed a sidekick, A N Y sidekick would have worked out fine. Her co conspirator and sometimes person to fight with would have been ideal as Audrey, as Viv was no longer alive bubbela. Same as Gale replaced Desi as her father figure authority stumbling block, Audrey would have been perfect as her co hort, i'm surprised she was even available for the one show and looking so young and vibrant when both had started out in tv in the early days.

Thanks for posting this -- I've never seen it before & really enjoyed it! :D

I picked up on some things that are associated with Lucy Ricardo -- references to her playing the saxaphone, & (Audrey) playing a petunia. Think these were intentional?

Her writers ALWAYS did that, insert real or old things in the script and Bob and Madelyn were producers or head writers or something so . . .

Her writers ALWAYS did that, insert real or old things in the script and Bob and Madelyn were producers or head writers or something so . . .

I'll just never get over the fact that it was cancelled and wasn't even given a chance to last a full season................it honestly upsets me to no end and I'm not exgaerrating!

I'll just never get over the fact that it was cancelled and wasn't even given a chance to last a full season................it honestly upsets me to no end and I'm not exgaerrating!

When a new show starts, they USUALLY put it on AFTER an established show, for it to build an audience. They did not do that with LWL, they expected it to lead the night and it was followed by other NEW shows and it was on BUSY Saturday night, opposite Facts of Life and other shows. More importantly, there was no PILOT, they just rushed this thing out of the gate instead of giving it proper time and care and also, they used OLD people who were not made to write and produce and direct shows in 1986, they were used to '56. People were so thrilled to see her IN PERSON that they laughed at her straight lines even, but all of this did NOT translate onto the filming, the audience at home wanted laughs from her, not cliched old routines, other shows when they get off to a rocky start, CHEERS and DICK VAN DYKE were almost cancelled in their first few weeks and many others also, shows get retooled and this one never got a chance, gary was in a hurry to get his NO CANCELLATION clause, they HAD to pay for a full season and he got his million dollars and was happy, the fact that she got the worst reviews and publicity in her life and got those QUEEN IS DEAD newspaper headlines did not matter to him. That's why she confronted him later with the WHY DID YOU PUSH SO HARD FOR THIS? Well, money was all that mattered to him, her reputation was what mattered to HER! Imagine how great the show could have been with NEW and WITH IT writers, producers and director, not to mention the cast, those sacharine kids even Bob and Madelyn did not like. Lucy had attained such a status at this point that she should have pulled a Mary Tyler Moore and just surrounded herself with other great stars who could have done the heavy lifting and she could have been the focal point but had less work, less lines, sort of what they are doing with Betty White today.

ABC was running a business, the show was so unfunny that the ratings got worse week to week and as a lead in, the shows that followed were suffering also, hence the cancellation.

• 2 years later...

Archived