I HAD A BALL: My Friendship with Lucille Ball

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes no worries

Just to bump this thread up and remind folks in and around LA that TONIGHT is Mikey's book signing at The Grove next to Farmer's Market & CBS Television City here in LA, which is on Fairfax and West 3rd Street @ 7 PM.

Hope to see ya there!! :D

WUNDAFUL turnout last night at Barnes & Noble at the Grove (Farmer's Market) in warm Los Angeles!

Not only was Michael funny and charming, but there were several familiar faces in the crowd and not only that, but some fun surprises as well -- celebrities even! :D

The setup was off in a far rear corner of the third floor of the store, with seats set up for approximately 70 people. Well, by the time Michael was introduced at about 7:10, not only was every seat filled but about 20 - 25 of us were standing in the back behind those seated. After being introduced by actor/comedian Rip Taylor, who shot off confetti into the crowd on his way up to the "stage" (as is his trademark), MS took a few questions from the audience, perhaps the most articulate and bittersweet one of the bunch posed by longtime friend and artist extraordinaire Rick Carl, who -- forgive me, I won't even attempt to repeat it as I can't recall the exact wording as he asked it, so I certainly wouldn't do it justice (perhaps Rick will jump in here sometime and share it himself!)

He then sat behind a large desk set up for the event and began to greet folks and sign their books and was still going strong at least an hour later. (Apparently, 100 books had been shipped for this event and they all sold out!)

Other luminaries in attendance, aside from a verrrrrrry familiar redhead, included former Entertainment Tonight reporter Bill Harris, The Lucy Show's Jimmy Garrett, adorable Aussie wife Laura (along with their two little ones in tow); Lucy's own "major domo" Frank Gorey; Gregg Oppenheimer, son of the late Jess Oppenheimer, ILL's producer/writer, who produced most of CBS' DVD releases of I Love Lucy; current The Lucy Show CBS DVD releases producer Tom Watson, charming partner Richard Brock and co-producer Larry Pane; GAB guys George Ridjaneck and Garret Boyajian, producers of MPI's Here's Lucy and The Lucille Ball Specials on DVD, the last of which, Lucy Moves to NBC being released next (this summer!); and many others I recognized but couldn't name.

Also, most of MS's family and folks he works with at Dr. Phil and The Doctors as audience coordinator.

All in all, a wonderful and supportive turnout for a very nice, deserving fellow.

Oh, and yours truly.... who happened to be accosted upon arrival by some kooky redhead! ;)

Diane%2BVincent%2B%2526%2Bme%2B%2540%2BB%2526N%2Bat%2BThe%2BGrove%252C%2BLos%2BAngeles%252C%2BMonday%2BMay%2B2%252C%2B2011.jpg

I am now working on book signings in Palm Springs, Las Vegas, New York City and Jamestown, NY. I Have a book signing this Wednesday at Paramount Studios the formal home of Desilu Studios on Melrose Ave. I might even be on a national talk show but that I will keep you all posted. You can still buy a book on my website at WWW.THELUCYFAN.COM

Thank you.

Michael

I am now working on book signings in Palm Springs, Las Vegas, New York City and Jamestown, NY. I Have a book signing this Wednesday at Paramount Studios the formal home of Desilu Studios on Melrose Ave. I might even be on a national talk show but that I will keep you all posted. You can still buy a book on my website at WWW.THELUCYFAN.COM

Thank you.

Michael

Great news! How about working in a signing or two amongst your fellow Canadians? ;)

(Winnipeg's too far and cold though. Toronto is lovely this time of year! lol)

Michael, I just finished reading your book & really enjoyed it. It was so interesting to get a glimpse into Lucy's real life in her later years.

What a smart kid you were to approach DeDe with your Lucy scrapbook ;)! Very sweet how your life & Lucy's were intertwined for the rest of her life.

Thanks for writing down your memories & sharing them with us. I think every Lucy fan should read it. :lucy1:

• 1 month later...

I am now signing books at the Hollywood Collectors Show in Burbank, CA on July 16 & 17. (Home of the Lucy conventions 10 years ago). I am excited to attend as Eric Shea from Yours, Mine and Ours will be signing autographs this weekend as well. Also, Bart Braverman "She's a my birthday too" will be signing.

I have just signed on to be in Jamestown, NY for Lucy's birthday August 4-7.

Michael

I am now signing books at the Hollywood Collectors Show in Burbank, CA on July 16 & 17. (Home of the Lucy conventions 10 years ago). I am excited to attend as Eric Shea from Yours, Mine and Ours will be signing autographs this weekend as well. Also, Bart Braverman "She's a my birthday too" will be signing.

That's fantastic! You should sit them down and get them to share their stories -- Eric especially has I don't think he has participated in Lucy gatherings before.

• 1 month later...

Why are you so surprised Mikey? You were there, not like those other books based on rehash of older books and opinions from senile people who were there fifty or sixty years ago, LOL! I'm sure it's one terrific read written by her second biggest fan, after all, i have to be number one as i was her biggest fan while you were still a twinkle in your mommy's eye. I'll give you that you might have been her number one stalker though, LOL!

That has to be the funniest line I've read in quite a while! Thanks for the laugh!

You're welcome. I didn't much care for the book after all, it was more about HIM than HER so who cares?

I didn't find that it was more about him than her at all. The book was about their relationship so how could it go any other way but be equal parts Lucy and Michael? I thoroughly enjoyed this unique glance into the last decade or two of Lucy's life from a very unique and privileged perspective.

I didn't find that it was more about him than her at all. The book was about their relationship so how could it go any other way but be equal parts Lucy and Michael? I thoroughly enjoyed this unique glance into the last decade or two of Lucy's life from a very unique and privileged perspective.

Really? Must have read a different book, mine was all about an autograph hound and his SPERIENCES stalking stars to get them to autograph everything he owned, i was looking for something about LUCY that i hadn't heard or read about before, the only thing i found in there was that she ordered white shag carpeting in her house in Beverly Hills. Maybe i was just expecting too much, he'd been promising that book for years so i had great expectations.

• 1 month later...

Archived