Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 4 - March

leenorman

March 23

Phil Ober, actor and Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), husband/co-star, The Secret Fury, 1950; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1951, 1955; Desilu Productions’, Whirlybirds, (unknown year); Desilu Studios'-filmed The Dick Van Dyke Show, 2 episodes, 1956-63, guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; co-star, Lucille Ball film, The Facts of Life, 1960, as well as guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Family Affair, 1 episode, 1966; is born this date in 1902.

Joan Crawford, guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1962; Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1968; as well as archivally, with Lucille, That's Dancing, 1985, is born this date in 1908.

Paula Winslow guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Our Miss Brooks, 9 episodes, 1952-1955; cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1956; as well as guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1961, is born this date in 1910.

Maurice Marsac, guest cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1952, 1956; Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks four episodes, 1953; Desilu Productions’, Angel, pilot, 1960; as well as Glynis, 1963, is born this date in 1915.

Kenneth Tobey, guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1954; Sheriff of Cochise, 1957; as well as Whirlybirds, 111 episodes, 1957-1963, is born this date in 1917.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “ . . . Lucille Ball, blonde RKO star, stopped one marriage last week. Her cousin, Cleo Manning, was at the license bureau with Arthur Auerbach of the Jack Haley program. Lucille found out about it and persuaded them to wait. Cleo isn’t of age yet,” published this date in 1938.

Hollywood Citizen News, Frederick C. Othman: “Lucille Ball went to the LA’s incredible Skid Row, which is today what NY’s Bowery must have been 40 years ago, last night to learn the striptease from experts for upcoming work as Tiger Lily, queen of burlesque. I’ll take off a lot of clothes it’s true, but, still be dressed as modestly as grandmother. My costume is six dozen pieces of chiffon, a sort of dance of the seven veils, multiplied,” published this date in 1940.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “It’s worth a $50 Defense Bond to anybody finding and returning Lucille Ball’s diary. It’s a 12x15-inch book bound in red Morocco leather with Lucille’s name on the front. The book dropped out of the RKO star’s car. Lucille Ball will add another $50 Bond if the finder will return the diary without breaking the lock on the cover. She’s not ashamed of anything inside, but it’s an intimate record of her life ever since she was a child,” published this date in 1942.

Yank (USA) - Lucille Ball is pictured, on this date in 1945.

(“I Love Lucy”) “The Séance,” is a re-run of Episode #7, with new footage, airing this date in 1953.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “Chain of Command” 1959, starring John Doucette, Martin Milner and Hugh O’Brian, airs this date in 1959.

Desilu Productions', Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Texan, “Letter of The Law” - Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer; Rory Calhoun, Producer; starring Rory Calhoun, as Bill Longley; Ralph Dumke, as Doc Fry; and Richard Reeves, as Montana, among others; W. Argyle Nelson, long-time associate of the Arnazes, as Production Supervisor, 31 episodes, 1958-1960, and James A. Paisley, Production Manager, 23 episodes, 1958-59; Bill Heath, Editorial Supervisor, Ralph Berger, Art Direction, Original Music, E. C. Norton, Kerwin Coughlin, Casting; airs this date in 1959.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Goes Into Politics”, Lucy and Viv work Mooney’s campaign for city comptroller, airing this date in 1964.

Lucie Arnaz appears, as guest star, on Rhodes Productions', The Virginia Graham Show, airing this date in 1971.

Lucie Arnaz guest stars on Walt Disney Productions', Welcome to the World, as herself, co-starring Lyle Waggoner, airing this date in 1975.

Desi Arnaz’ second wife, Edith 'Edie' Hirsh Arnaz, 68, dies this date in 1985.

Dayton Lummis, supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”) 1953, 1954, 1955; co-star, guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, 1953-59; as well as Desilu Productions’, Angel, 1960, dies this date in 1988.

NY Times, Randal C. Archibold: “In a Small Upstate City, They Love Lucy,” article published this date in 2002.

Providence, Journal (Rhode Island): “For Sale: Lucille Ball Childhood Home,” article published this date in 2002.

Press-Enterprise (Riverside, California), Shannon Starr, “Celebrities Starred in Parade,” article published this date in 2002.

The Latest From Everything Lucy Website: (“Here's Lucy”) Season 3 DVD - “ The third season of (“Here's Lucy”) (CBS-TV 1970-71) features all 24 color episodes, uncut; plus a wealth of new, never-before-seen special features. Guest stars include: Jack Benny, Richard Burton, Carol Burnett, Wally Cox, Sammy Davis Jr., Art Linkletter, Vincent Price, Buddy Rich, Elizabeth Taylor, Rudy Vallee, and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz). MPI Home Video is scheduling (“Here's Lucy”) - Season 3, DVD for June 15th. Extensive bonus material; i.e. an episode of Make Room for Granddaddy, titled "Lucy Carter, Houseguest" is included! New Episode Introductions by Lucie Arnaz & Desi Arnaz, Jr.; Featurette: (“Here's Lucy”) “Uncle Harry; Let's Talk To Lucy”; A Lost interview with Vivian Vance; “Lucy and Jack Benny”; Lucie and Desi Jr. Sing; Lucy Guest Stars on Make Room For Granddaddy as Lucille Carter; Treasures From Lucy's Vault: Lucy Blooper Reel; Lucy's Hawaiian Home Movies; Behind The Scenes; On The Set; (“Here's Lucy”) Slide Show; Series Production Files; Syndication Promos”, and posted this date in 2010.

Elizabeth Taylor, with husband, Richard Burton, Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1970; appears with Lucille, Happy Birthday, Bob, 1978; with Lucille, Bob Hope’s, Women I Love: Beautiful, But Funny, and Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, 1983; with Lucie Arnaz; Unrehearsed Antics of the Stars, 1984, with Lucille, Bob Hope’s High-Flying Birthday, 1986, as well as with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, dies this date in 2011.

March 24

Gene Nelson, appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1947; appears with Lucille Ball, That's Dancing, 1985; Actor/Choreographer and Choreography, Desilu Productions' Shower of Stars, 1954, 3 episodes, 1955; as well as Star Trek, 1968, is born this date in 1920.

Lucille Ball appears in Fox Films, Hold That Girl, released this date in 1934.

LA Examiner, Louella O. Parsons: “Lucille Ball is mistaken for Hazel Forbes, who has been mistaken for Lucille, seemingly being seen out with the wrong man,” published this date in 1934.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Lucille Ball, for role in Dance, Girl, Dance,bleached her auburn hair blonde as contrast to co-star’s red tresses,” published this date in 1940.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Ensenada . . . Reporters are invited by the Hollywood Victory Committee on a good-will tribute to the soldiers of our sister republic, Mexico, a three-hour show unit of top-notch acts, functions smoothly and with ease, entertain more than 1000 Mexican soldiers, sailors and military school lads packed into a 750-seat theater. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz are part of the entertainment,” published this date in 1942.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude, “I Love Lucy” which made history and will perpetuate.] Variety: “Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball plan an ‘Eastern vaude string,’ [although no mention is made that the personal-appearance tour is, a city-by-city audition for a proposed network-television series, the success of which might well salvage their marriage and perhaps resurrect waning careers], published this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Iris’ and Liz’ Easter,” - episode 123, with veteran supporting cast members, Shirley Mitchell and Frank Nelson – the basis for (“I Love Lucy”) “The Diet” – which airs this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucy”) “The Gossip”, in which Lucille Ball wears a gold medallion, a favorite piece she owns and will wear until 1986, the first of many (“I Love Lucy”), episodes revolving around a bet, and is based on CBS Radio’s My Favorite Husband “The Gossip,” cast members, Robert Jellison and Richard J. Reeves, as Bill Foster, airing this date in 1952.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV(“I Love Lucy”), Episode #124, which is filmed this date in 1955.

CBS’ The Lucy Show – 30-minutes, black & white – this is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball’s classic 1960’s sitcom. The re-runs of (“I Love Lucy”) on Sundays had done so well for CBS, it decides to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucy”) re-runs on Saturdays in the very early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “Rosetta”, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring, William Demarest, Annette Funicello, Dwayne Hickman, and Cecil Kellaway, among others, airs this date in 1964.

CBS’ The Lucy Show - While each of Lucille Ball’s series has always gone on summer hiatus, selected re-runs of the show are aired in prime time instead of a replacement series, commencing March 24, 1969. The first week features “Lucy and the Ceramic Cat,” a Vivian Vance years’ episode, #74, for the first time in color, this date in 1969.

Desi Arnaz IV stars in MGM TV Medical Center, Season 6, Episode 24, “The Rip-Off”, airing this date in 1975.

Sam Jaffe, stars in Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse 1959 and Desilu Productions’ The Untouchables 1961, dies this date in 1984.

Daily Variety: “Death of Ray Katz, Manager to Lucie Arnaz and Lily Tomlin,” published this date in 2000.

Richard Widmark, Lucille Ball guest co-star (“I Love Lucy”) 1955, dies this date in 2008.

Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum - “We are saddened to hear of the passing of Harry Harris. Mr. Harris died died Thursday, March 19th, in LA, of complications of myelodsplasia. Mr. Harris began at Desilu Productions as an assistant film editor. He then became an editor; and while editing The Texan, Desi gave him a chance to direct for Desilu. Mr. Harris was 86,” posted this date in 2009.

Robert Culp, guest, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood. 1961; star, as Kelly Robinson, I Spy, 82 episodes, 1965-1968, director, 1 episode, 1966; writer, 7 episodes, 1965-68; Desilu Studios-filmed, 4 episodes, 1965; as well as appears with Lucille Ball, The Dean Martin Show 1966, dies this date in 2010.

Drake and Josh, TV sit-com, perform, in tribute to Lucille Ball, their version of 'Job Switching', 'I Love Sushi, Part 3', at The Ball and Vance Fish Corporation, coincidentally, having next-door neighbors named Carmichael”, airing this date in 2010.

The Post-Journal – Information Center – In Years Past – Fifty Years Ago - “In 1961, Jamestown's most-famous citizen, Lucille Ball, graced the cover of The Post-Journal's Family Weekly magazine. The red-headed star of Wildcat modeled her Easter chapeau as cover girl. In addition, the magazine continued a special article and several full-color pictures of Lucille and her dark-haired , and lovely, daughter, Lucie Desiree Arnaz, in a variety of Easter bonnets. All the hats were products of famous designers,” published this date in 2011.

March 25

Ed Begley, Sr., Oscar Award-winning character actor; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1960, and Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1966, is born this date in 1901.

Dan White, one of the co-stars in Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ first movie, RKO Radio’s Too Many Girls, 1940; Desilu Productions’ Cavalcade of America, 1956, Sheriff of Cochise, 1957, The Californians, 1959; The Texan, 3 episodes, 1959-60; as well as appearing with Lucille Ball in Swing Out, Sweet Land, with many other stars, 1970; is born this date in 1908.

Howard Cosell, appears with Lucille Ball, Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast: Danny Thomas, 1976, as well as with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982, is born this date in 1918.

The NY Times: “Twentieth Century comes to a ‘halt’ due to disagreements between managers and stagehands - star, William Frawley, (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) goes golfing,” published this date in 1933.

Jamestown Post Journal: “Lucille’s Gown has Rural Flavor” – Hollywood – (UP) – “ . . . amazed her fans in Jamestown, N.Y., her hometown, when she purchased a $1.29 gingham dress while visiting that city on a bond tour recently, MGM studio said today. A week later, the star was deluged with letters from Jamestown inquiring whether she really wears such frocks. Miss Ball admitted she intended to use the frock to milk the cow on her five-acre ranch, a studio press agent said,” published this date in 1944.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband - “Old Jokes and Old Stories”, with regular cast member, Bea Benaderet, and veteran supporting cast member, from this show on, Gale Gordon; produced and directed by Jess Oppenheimer; written by Jess Oppenheimer, Madelyn Pugh & Bob Carroll, Jr., featuring Ruth Perrott, as Katy the Maid, original music by Marlin Skiles; conducted by Wilbur Hatch; announcer, Bob LeMond, sponsored by General Foods, JELL-O; airing this date in 1949.

William Frawley (“I Love Lucy’s Fred Mertz) appears on TV, The Ed Wynn Show, co-guesting with The Three Stooges, airing this date in 1950.

(“I Love Lucy”) “The Diner,” an episode wherein Ricky is disgusted with show business and the two couples buy a diner, is filmed this date in 1954.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy’s Night in Town,” [The Most Happy Fella, a 1956 Desilu-backed Broadway hit musical, which ran for 676 performances and is mentioned in Broadway Musicals 101, revised edition - “Greatest Shows Of All Time”, Lucille Ball mentioned in three different sections of the Book] and involves buying tickets to a play, showing up for evening performance, sadly discovering that the tickets are for the matinee, with veteran cast members, John Eldredge, Joseph Kearns, Louis A. Nicoletti, Doris Packer, and Paul Power,airing this date in 1957.

Lucille Ball appears at the end of CBS’ Buick Electra Playhouse: “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” to promote the following week’s Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “Lucy Meets the Moustache,” airing this date in 1960.

Lucille Ball appears on Family Weekly cover: “Lucy Loves Easter Hats,” published this date in 1962.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Visits The White House” - Season 1, Episode 25 - veteran supporting cast member, Frank Nelson, makes his last appearance with Lucille; co-starring veteran cast member, Elliot Reid; as well as a guest appearance by Desi IV, revolving around a cub-scout sugar cube recreation of the White House, and President Kennedy’s invitation to visit, make up this episode, airing this date in 1963.

Douglas Evans, Lucille Ball co-star, 1942; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1950; guest cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1954; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1956, 1958; as well as, guest, Desilu Productions' Sheriff of Cochise, 1957, dies this date in 1968.

Time, Jay Cocks: “Review of ‘Mame’: ‘Maimed’”, article published this date in 1974.

Lucille Ball performs her Sophie Tucker 'tribute', in costume, on NBC, Texaco Presents Bob Hope’s All Star Comedy Tribute to Vaudeville, Bob Hope, Executive Producer, with Jack Albertson, Vanda Barra, and Sid Gould, among others, airing this date in 1977.

Gloria Blondell, Lucille Ball guest co-star (“I Love Lucy”), 1952, dies this date in 1986.

Al Schwartz, Writer, Stars in the Eye, guest starring, Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, William Frawley, and Vivian Vance (Lucy's The Mertzes), among many others, 1952; writer, 28 episodes, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Hour, 1957-1960; as well as writer, two episodes, (“Here's Lucy”), 1970, 1971, dies this date in 1988.

The Post-Journal: Heart, Health And Style Raises Thousands – Money Supports Ice Arena Walking Track, Health Education – “A recent event [2/28] attended by 550 women, sponsored by the WCA Hospital and several other businesses, including the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, with Keynote Speaker, Lucie Arnaz, actress, singer, dancer, business executive, Emmy award-winning producer, and daughter of Jamestown’s Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, will bring $4,000 to the Ice Arena walking track and community heart education, the Heart Association being co-chaired by her parents during several years in the 1950’s,” published this date in 2006.

Marilyn Borden, one-half of sister team, "Teensy" & "Weensy" (“I Love Lucy”) 1955, dies this date in 2009.

March 26

Will Wright, veteran character actor, Lucille Ball, 1949; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1952, 1955; Desilu Productions’, Willy, 1954; December Bride, 1954, 1957; Our Miss Brooks, 1956; Desilu Studios-filmed The Jack Benny Program, 1962; and Desilu Productions' Official Detective, 1958, is born this date in 1891.

Strother Martin, uncredited co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1952; guest co-star, (“I Love Lucy”), 1956; Desilu Productions’ Whirlybirds, unknown year; The Walter Winchell File, unknown year; The Texan, 1959; and Glynis, 1963, is born this date in 1919.

Leonard Nimoy, uncredited co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1952; co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1961, co-star, Star Trek, 80 episodes, 1966-1969; Mission: Impossible, 49 episodes, 1969-1971; as well as with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars 1982, is born this date in 1931.

Audience Research Institute – In an audience survey, Desi Arnaz’ photo was compared to other young actors, and Desi was judged the most appealing, although RKO’s new management did not share that view, this date in 1941.

Johnny Crawford, of The Rifleman fame; guest co-star Desilu Productions’ Cavalcade of America,2 episodes, 1956; Sheriff of Cochise, 1957; Wire Service, 1957, and Whirlybirds, 2 episodes, 1957, 1 episode, 1958, is born this date in 1946.

LA Examiner, Behind the Makeup, Harry Crocker: “Lucille Ball is wearing one of the most unusual novelties – the gift of band leader husband, Desi Arnaz. The red-headed star of Her Husband’s Affairs, received a solid gold charm bracelet from Desi. Attached to the bracelet are tiny discs, each of them a miniature reproduction of a song Arnaz has recorded, and exact enough to include song titles and brand names,” published this date in 1947.

Vicki Lawrence, a comedienne and friend Lucille Ball greatly admired; co-star on the Carol Burnett Show, is born this date in 1949.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Liz’ Radio Script” - episode 81, Mary Jane Croft, veteran supporting cast member, in her first appearance, airs this date in 1950.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra perform (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy In The Swiss Alps,” the Ricardos and Mertzes snowbound, a mix-up in directions with the Band; mayhem occurs, with veteran supporting player, Torben Meyer, airing this date in 1956.

Moberly Evening Democrat: (MO) - by Bob Thomas (AP) - “We weren't the happiest pair in the world,” says William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), being interviewed by Thomas,” published this date in 1960.

Lucille Ball makes a second guest appearance on Dinah’s Place, The Dinah Shore Show, on this date in 1974.

Lucille Ball appears, with many other stars, NBC, “A Tribute to ‘Mr. Television’, Milton Berle’”, paying tribute to Milton’s early television work, and his thirtieth anniversary, airing this date in 1978.

Lucille Ball appears, as Guest Hostess, Part II, on CBS: “On the Air”, a seven-part series celebrating the first 50 years of CBS broadcasting; also guesting many friends and Lucy/Desilu co-stars: Eve Arden, Bea Arthur, Ed Asner, Ken Berry, Carol Burnett, Art Carney, Mike Connors, Ellen Corby, Andy Griffith, Danny Kaye, Art Linkletter, Richard Crenna, Danny Thomas, Phil Silvers, and many other top CBS' stars and co-stars, airing this date in 1978.

Desi Arnaz IV stars as Walter Nebicher in 20th Century Fox TV’s Automan, “Zippers”, starring Chuck Wagner, as Automan, Robert Lansing and Gerald S. O'Loughlin; co-starring Dennis Cole, - Desi's partner - Dino, Desi & Billy combo - Billy Hinsche, composer, theme music, airing this date in 1984.

Walter Abel, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1935, 1940; guest, Desilu Productions', Sheriff of Cochise, 1957; as well as appears with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, via archival footage, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage documentary, uncredited, as himself, 1983, is born this date in 1898.

Tristram Coffin, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1952; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1957, dies this date in 1990.

Jan Sterling, co-stars with William Frawley, 1952; guest, Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1960; guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1960; Desilu Productions', Mannix, 1968; as well as co-stars with Desi Arnaz IV, Having Babies, 1976; dies this date in 2004.

The Post-Journal – Information Center - In Years Past – 10 Years Ago: “Bob Newhart will bring his dry wit and wry smile to Jamestown to close May’s Hometown Celebration Weekend. The Jamestown Urban Renewal Agency and Arts Council for Chautauqua County announced Newhart would perform for the Reg Lenna Civic Center crowd at the weekend celebration, formerly called LucyFest. It is also announced comedian George Wallace will headline the Lighten Up! Festival of New Comedy, to be held September 20 and 21,” published this date in 2006.

March 27

Gloria Swanson, Desi Arnaz co-star, 1941; as well as with Lucille Ball on Hedda Hopper’s Hollywood, 1960; is born this date in 1897.

Mary Treen, veteran of 100s of films and much television; Desi Arnaz co-star, 1941; Lucille Ball co-star, 1950; Desilu Productions’, Willy, 1954, The Ann Sothern Show, 2 episodes, 1959-1960; Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, cast member, 35 episodes, 1962-1965; and Lucille Ball guest co-star, final episode of (“Here’s Lucy”), 1974, is born this date in 1907.

Richard Denning, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) J. Edgar Hoover, FBI Director; written book for film, Persons in Hiding, and Ambush, 1939; Lucille Ball’s co-star, ‘husband’ in CBS Radio’s 30-minute Situation Comedy, My Favorite Husband; later television roles in Mr. & Mrs. North, 1952-54; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1952; as well as 12 years on Hawaii Five-O, 1968-80; is born this date in 1914.

David Janssen, televisions’s Harry O, O’Hara, U.S. Treasury, Richard Diamond, and The Fugitive; Desilu Productions’, Sheriff of Cochise, 1956, U.S. Marshal, one episode, unknown year; and Here’s Hollywood, 1961; co-star, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958; as well as guest, Kraft Mystery Theater, 1962, is born this date 1931.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio film, Farmer in the Dell, released this date in 1936.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Lucille Ball is added to the cast of RKO’s Five Who Came Back, published this date in 1939.

Hollywood Citizen News, RKO-Radio has signed practically the whole stage cast of Too Many Girls now for the screen production of the play. Desi Arnaz, known as the Cuban ‘personality’ boy one of the few male members of the Broadway show, is the latest to agree to come to Hollywood for the picturization,” published this date in 1940.

Desi Arnaz is inducted into the Army this date in 1943.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Lucille Ball stars in a lavish Technicolor musical, MGM’s The Girl From Rectors - 1900’s period piece, receives rave reviews from jaded critics in Without Love, with La Hepburn,” published this date in 1945.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Lucille Ball, who was offered a lead in a Broadway production of My Sister Eileen - Rosalind Russell finally cast in the Columbia screen version, finally will do a serialized version of the play on the Radio,” published this date in 1946.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Lucille Ball goes to NY with Desi Arnaz for the summer,” published this date in 1946.

Lucille Ball, as Maggie, The Lux Radio Theater: “The Man Who Came To Dinner,” starring Clifton Webb, airs this date in 1950.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Hires a Maid,” an episode wherein Ricky hires a maid to assist Lucy with the new baby, is filmed this date in 1953.

Lucille Ball appears in Warner Brothers’, Mame, released this date in 1974.

LA Times, Charles Champlin: Review of Mame: ‘Lucy Stars as ‘Mame’,” published this date in 1974.

Desi Arnaz IV, stars in Aycee Productions’ Flight To Holocaust, as Rick Bender, co-starring Patrick Wayne, Christopher Mitchum; Sid Caesar, Rory Calhoun, and Lloyd Nolan, as well as Bill Baldwin, the TV commentator, airing this date in 1977.

Lucille Ball appears in “CBS’ On the Air: A Celebration of 50 Years,” performs with Bea Arthur and George Burns, while Desi Arnaz and Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) watch, unacknowledged, on the star-studded commencement of the celebratory week-long event, for its fifty years in radio and television; also starring Arthur Godfrey, on this date in 1978.

Jack Donahue, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, dance director, 1943, 1944, and 1946; guest co-star, producer, director, The Lucy Show and (“Here’s Lucy”), 1962-1974; as well as director of Lucille TV specials, 1974, 1975 and 1980, dies this date in 1984.

Aldo Ray, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz guest co-star, 1958, dies this date in 1991.

Parade Magazine (LA): “He Said, She Said,” published this date in 1994.

Parade Magazine (LA), Boze Hadleigh: “Review of Hollywood Babble On,” published this date in 1994.

Milton Berle, “Mr. Television,” Lucille Ball’s early-career friend, and five-time Lucille-Desi Arnaz guest co-star, as himself, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1959; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1964; guest, The Lucy Show, 1965, 1967; appears with Desi Arnaz, IV, 1972; guest, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1969, 1974; appears, CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, and Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast: Danny Thomas, 1976; with Lucille, Bob Hope's 30th Anniversary Special, 1981; appears, as a winner, with Lucille, NBC’s The First Academy of TV Arts and Sciences Television Hall of Fame, 1984; with Lucille, archivally, The 41st Annual Prime Time Emmy Awards, 1989; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; and (“I Love Lucy”) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001, (Lucille reciprocates as guest co-star with Milton), dies this date in 2002.

Billy Wilder, Writer, Producer, Director; as Guest of Honor, appears with Lucille Ball, AFI Life Achievement Award: A Tribute to Billy Wilder; 1986; as well as with Lucille, archivally, Moguls & Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood, 2010, dies this date in 2002.

Gregg Peters, Assistant Director, The Lucy Show, 2 episodes 1965, 1966; Assistant Director, Desilu Productions', Mission Impossible, 1966; Assistant Director, 13 episodes; Unit Manager, Unit Productions Manager, Desilu Productions', Star Trek, 28 episodes, 1966-67; as well as Assistant Director, (“Here's Lucy”) 1971, 1974, dies this date in 2010.

March 28

Pandro S. Berman, Producer, Lucille Ball friend, early film-career, 3 films, 1935, and one in which (William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) also stars; 4 films,1936, one film, 1937, 2 films, 1938, produced with Desi Arnaz, The Long, Long Trailer, 1953; as well as Hollywood, the Golden Years: The RKO Story “A Woman's Lot”, 1987, is born this date in 1905.

Frank Lovejoy, of The Adventures of McGraw fame, 1957-8; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1957; as well as Desilu Studios-filmed, The Red Skelton Hour, 1959, is born this date in 1912.

Jay Livingston, nominated, 1958 Tony Award; inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, 1977; Academy-Award-winning partnership with Ray Evans, western NY native and major supporter, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum, Jamestown NY, composer of many songs for the movies; i.e. “To Each His Own” 1946; “Buttons and Bows” 1948, “Mona Lisa” 1950, “Que Sera Sera” 1956; wrote lyrics for Lucille Ball/Bob Hope film, Sorrowful Jones, 1949, “Havin’ a Wonderful Wish (Time You Were Here)”, and Fancy Pants “(Hey) Fancy Pants!”, “Home Cookin” 1950; composer, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz)/Bob Hope film, The Lemon Drop Kid, “It Doesn't Cost A Dime to Dream”, “They Obviously Want Me to Sing” and “Silver Bells” 1951; “Tammy and the Bachelor” 1957; and, the partners collaborated on several TV themes for such as Bonanza, 1959, and Mister Ed, 1961; composer, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Jack Benny Program “Ghost Town Western Sketch”, 1962, is born this date in 1915.

Lucille Ball appears on the front cover of Movie Life, 'Hollywood's Only All-Picture Magazine', with enclosed article, “Movie Life of Lucille Ball”, published for the month of March, 1944.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Does a TV Commercial,” the famous Vitameatavegamin episode, is filmed this date in 1952.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform, (“I Love Lucy”) “Bull Fight Dance,” during which Lucy attempts to break into Ricky’s act being filmed by MGM for the Heart Fund benefit. Lucy, using blackmail involving her upcoming interview by Photoplay Magazine and “What it’s like being married to Ricky Ricardo?” results in her costumed as a bull, with the usual resultant hilarity, airing this date in 1955.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Raises Tulips,” an episode with Lucy and Betty (Mary Jane Croft) rivals in a gardening contest, is filmed this date in 1957.

Dwight David Eisenhower, President of the United States, Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz friend, appears with them twice on Toast of the Town, 1955, 1956; the three via archival footage, ABC 2000: The Millennium 1999; as well as, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, Video Entertainment, 1996, dies this date in 1969.

Richard Arlen, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’ Whirlybirds, 1960, and Here’s Hollywood, 1961, dies this date in 1976.

Dick Haymes, uncredited co-star, as a member of the Pied Pipers; Lucille Ball film, 1943; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of Stars, 2 episodes, 1950, 1951; as well as The Walter Winchell Show, 1956, dies this date in 1980.

American Film “Freeze Frame: 1950 – Lucille Ball and Eddie Albert: The Fuller Brush Girl,” published in 1987.

Gil Perkins, actor/stuntman veteran 160+ films, Lucille Ball co-star, uncredited, 1942; stuntman co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1943; co-star, Frawley, 1947; stunt double, Eddie Albert, Lucille film, 1950; guest, Desilu Productions', Sheriff of Cochise, 1957, The Californians, 1958, The Untouchables, 1960; stunts, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Merz) film, 1965; as well as Lucille's guest, (“Here's Lucy”), 1970, dies this date in 1999.

The Post-Journal: JCC To Host Summer Arts Academy, Dennis Phillips: “For 6 weeks this summer, area junior and senior high school students interested in art will have a home for their creativity. Jamestown Community College and area arts organizations are collaborating on a new education initiative – a summer arts academy. JCC is partnering with the Lucy-Desi Center, among others, and Kathleen Brady, Lucille Ball biographer, will offer biography writing classes,” published this date in 2006.

The Lucy Lounge Website by bweir: “Screen and Television Guide - April 1949 Edition: “Pictures of Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, June Havoc, (Lucille and Desi's long-time friend) and husband, Bill Spier, vacationing in Skyland, while Lucille is filming Sorrowful Jones, with Bob Hope, reveal the two couples having an enjoyable couple of days, with Screen Guides' photographer, along, filming the fest; June is sister to Gypsy (Rose) Lee”, posted date in 2010.

June Havoc, many-year Arnazes close friend; as well as friend to Lucie Arnaz and Larry Luckinbill; Desi Arnaz' co-star, 1942; star, Desilu Productions', Willy, 39 episodes, 1954-55; as well as guest star, The Untouchables, 1960; dies this date in 2010.

March 29

Dennis O’Keefe, Lucille Ball co-star, 2 films, 1933; 3 films, 1934, 2 films, 1935; William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, 2 films, 1936, one film, 1937; Lucille Ball co-star, 1938, 1939; William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, 1944; Lucille Ball co-star, KNX Radio, 1946; as well as guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1961, is born this date in 1908.

Arthur O'Connell, guest star, Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, as well as with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1965, is born this date in 1908.

Pearl Bailey, with guest, Lucille Ball, The Pearl Bailey Show, 1971, and with Lucille Ball many other Times in all things variety, is born this date in 1918.

Chris Warfield, guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956; The Californians, 1958; appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) My Three Sons, 1961, as well as Lucille Ball guest The Lucy Show, 1962, is born this date in 1927.

Theadora Van Runkle, Costume Design, Lucille Ball film, Mame, 1974, is born this date in 1929.

Lucille Ball appears, as Gloria Wilson, in RKO Radio film Farmer In the Dell, also starring Frank Albertson, Moroni Olsen, Jean Parker; in uncredited roles, Tony Martin and Torben Meyer, released this date in 1936.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Paramount Pictures' The Farmer's Daughter, as Scoop Trimble, co-starring William Demarest, Richard Denning, Martha Raye, Charles Ruggles; as well as Darryl Hickman and Janet Waldo (in uncredited roles), among many others, released on this date in 1940.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for Columbia Pictures feature film, Holiday in Havana, Studio One, NYC,NY, this date in 1949.

Desi Arnaz IV is christened at Our Lady of the Valley Catholic Church, LA, this date in 1953.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Is Envious” - Lucy and Ethel appear as women from Mars, and veteran supporting cast member, Mary Jane Croft, in her first television appearance with Lucille Ball, becomes a ‘regular’ in the next three (“I Love Lucy”) shows, with veteran cast members Dick Elliott, Louis A. Nicoletti, and Herb Vigran, and Kay Wiley, airing this date in 1954.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Goes to Monte Carlo,” an episode guest appearance by one-half My Favorite Husband radio and Lucy television writing team, Bob Carroll, Jr., wherein Lucy is forbidden to enter a casino; goes and wins a fortune, is filmed this date in 1956.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and the Stockholder” - Ray Singer, Writer - the last episode where Mooney, Viv and Lucy have a chance to be funny together, airing this date in 1965.

CBS announces it is irrevocably removing all 180 half-hour episodes of (“I Love Lucy”) from its weekday schedule, and offers it in syndication; since, in contrast to other by-then-dated 1950’s TV shows, a new generation was discovering the original (“I Love Lucy”) series, and from the distance of a decade, it was evident that Lucille Ball was becoming a bona fide show-business legend – and more appreciated by the younger generation for her long-past series that for her current efforts, this date in 1967.

Variety: “Desi Arnaz is teaching film techniques and acting at San Diego State College,” published this date in 1972.

Lucille Ball makes her last public appearance, and is particularly pleased she will be paired with long-time friend, Bob Hope, to introduce a salute to young performers. Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, presenting for ABC’s The 61st Annual Academy Award Show; she and Bob receive a heartfelt, and prolonged, ovation, and attends an After-Party at Spago, this date in 1989.

Paul Henreid, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, The Californians, 1958, as well as Here’s Hollywood, 1961, 1962, dies this date in 1992.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz are mentioned during ABC’s World News Tonight, with Peter Jennings: “The Century on Friday,” which is broadcast this date in 1999.

The Lucy Lounge Website by JoeySoCal: “Looks like many books and products will be surfacing in 2011; the One Hundredth Birthday of Lucille Ball, and the 60th Anniversary of the premiere of (“I Love Lucy”). I came across something about a "new" book coming out; but, couldn't find out much more than a title; "vintage" Hollywood and preserving its history, has already been involved in a "Lucy" project and that is Tony Maietta, who interviewed Lucie Arnaz for the bonus features of the recent 1st official TLS DVD release by CBS. Along with his "silent partner", Jeffrey Vance, they're working on a new Lucy-themed book called "Lucy: The Life and Art of Lucille Ball”, which is listed as being "in progress" on their website. According to Amazon, there's also something coming next month called "I Love Lucy (TV Milestones)", which is a paperback, by Lori Landay, a college professor; and which will be focused entirely on the series”, posted date in 2010.

The New York Times - by Anita Gates - “June Havoc, has died in Stamford, Connecticut. In the 30's, Ms. Havoc established a firm career on Broadway and in Hollywood, most of her screen work was accomplished in suppporting roles. Until his death in 1973, June was married from 1947 to Bill Spier, and lost a daughter to death, April in 1998”, published this date in 2010.

March 30

John Astin, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Harrigan and Son, 1961; as well as The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963, is born this date in 1930.

Peter Marshall, of legendary, original Hollywood Squares’ fame; Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1963; appears with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, 1972; one of Lucille and Art Carney’s co-stars in Happy Anniversary and Goodbye, 1974; co-star, with Desi Arnaz, IV, Automan, 1984; as well as with Lucille, via archival footage, GAB Entertainment's, You Know The Face, 2009, is born this date in 1930.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Lucille Ball copped the lead in RKO’s Menial Star, published this date in 1938.

Lucille Ball appears on Picturegoer (England) Magazine cover this date in 1946.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Changes Her Mind” veteran supporting cast member, Frank Nelson, in his parallel role from My Favorite Husband, “Liz Changes Her Mind,” with cast members, Phil Arnold, and John L.Hart - both episodes actually taking place based on writers, Pugh, Carroll, and Oppenheimer’s actual restaurant experiences, airing this date in 1953.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “The Hard Road” 1959, guest co-starring Cliff Robertson, Barry Sullivan, John Larch, and Patricia Barry, airs this date in 1959.

(The Lucy Show) “Lucy and the Scout Trip” Season 2, Episode 26, Lucy and Viv show up and ruin the troop chances to win a trip to the World’s Fair, guest co-starring Desi IV, airing this date in 1964.

Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, starring Joey Bishop, as Joey Barnes, co-starring 'regulars' Joe Besser, Abby Dalton, Corbett Monida, and Mary Treen, “Joey Discovers Jackie Clark”, the final of 123 episodes, airs this date in 1965.

TV Guide cover: Lucille appears, in long coat and walking stick - “Four revealing Days with Lucille Ball”: Lucille: “Desi enjoyed building houses. I prefer living in homes. Gary has made this a home for the first time,” interview conducted for the magazine published this week in 1968.

Lucille Ball, Executive Producer, produced by Gary Morton, appears on CBS, A Lucille Ball Special: “What Now Catherine Curtis?”, co-starring Art Carney and Joseph Bologna, reportedly, co-written with wife, Renee Taylor; as well as Irma Kusely, Hair Stylist, and Nelson Riddle, Music, airing this date in 1976.

Madelyn Pugh-Davis, with Bob Carroll, Jr., Lucille’s many-year writing team, pens a letter to Desi Arnaz: “As you know, Lucy is to do another series, and Bob and I have been asked to go along on the voyage; . . . brought back a lot of memories; . . . you should know how many times your name comes up in our conversations; . . . I’m getting to the point in life when I think you should say something nice about someone out loud, instead of assuming they know how you feel; we realize how lucky we are to work with you,” . . . dated this day in 1986.

James Cagney, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1937, 1941, 1950; appears with Lucille Ball, 1943; appears with Lucille, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy's The Mertzes), 1956; with Lucie Arnaz, 1982; with Lucille and Desi, via archival footages, 1983; archivally, with Lucille, 1985; as well as with Lucille, both via archival footages, 1994, dies this date in 1986.

CBS’ Special: Lucie Arnaz is host/narrator from a re-creation of the first Ricardo apartment, - The Show’s Screen Test – Pilot for (“I Love Lucy,”) Episode #181 (“I Love Lucy”): “The Very First Show,” the first network broadcast of the original (“I Love Lucy”) pilot, kinescoped in March of 1951, airing this date in 1990.

Gary Morton, comedian, actor, avid golfer, Lucille Ball’s second husband, 28 years; appears, with Lucille, her children, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), and Peter Lawford, 5 episodes, Password All-Stars, 1963-65; guest star, The Lucy Show, 3 episodes, 1965; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Bing Crosby Show, and with Lucille, (“I've Got A Secret”), 1965; various executive and acting positions, The Lucy Show, 1965-68, Executive Producer, (“Here's Lucy”), 1968-74; Producer, Happy Anniversary and Goodbye, 1974; Lucy Gets Lucky; A Lucille Ball Special Starring Lucille Ball and Jackie Gleason; with Lucille, The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Lucille Ball, all 1975; Producer, CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, and TV Movie, What Now, Catherine Curtis?, 1976; Producer, TV Movie, Lucy Calls the President; and with Lucille, The Barbara Walters Summer Special, 1977; with Lucille, The Mike Douglas Show, and AFI Life Achievement Award: A Tribute to Henry Fonda, 1978; Executive Producer, TV Movie, Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; with Lucille, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; Executive Producer, 14 episodes, Life With Lucy, 1986; as well as appears, archivally, Memorial Tribute, 51st Prime Time Emmy Awards, 1999; dies of lung cancer at 74, on this date in 1999.

NY Post, Dan Kaplan: “Oh, Ricky, Lucy’s Family is Homeless,” published this date in 2002.

Ted Jordan, of Gunsmoke fame, 1961-1975; Lucille Ball co-star, 1949; guest, Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell File, 1958; as well as Mission: Impossible, 1966, dies this date in 2005.

The Post-Journal – Area News – Desilu Playhouse Enhances Offerings – Indianapolis Company Installs New Sound system in Radio Exhibit – “ . . . Desilu Playhouse visitors devoted to (“I Love Lucy”) and Jamestown’s own, Lucille Ball, recently had an opportunity to see a work in progress. The Desilu Playhouse tells the story of one of the most-recognized sitcoms ever on television through recreated studio sets and authentic memorabilia from the 1950s. The visitor experience is enhanced with TV clips by monitors of the shows filmed on the sets. Lucille’s CBS Radio’s My Favorite Husband exhibit received a new sound system enhancing that exhibit’s audio portion, with head sets, enabling visitors to listen to clips from the radio program without distracting other visitors within the Playhouse itself,” published this date in 2006.

The Post-Journal – Information Center - In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “Desi Arnaz formally opened, in Palm Springs, California, the Desi Arnaz’ West Hills Hotel, which adjoins the Indian Wells Country Club, both Arnaz’enterprises,” published this date in 2007.

The Post-Journal – Lucy-Desi Museum Receives New Items – by Luke Anderson – “The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center received a shipment of items Friday to add to its collection of memorabilia, according to a Center official. The items, on indefinite ‘loan’, were made available by the couple’s daughter, Lucie Arnaz, part of a display at Universal Studios in Hollywood, as special tribute to Lucille Ball since the 1990’s, and now closed. The couple’s children resigned as President and Vice President of the Center Board of Directors in December 2007, citing ‘conflicts we are unable to resolve,’” published this date in 2008.

The Lucy Lounge Website by Harry Carter: “Lucie Arnaz Website - 'For June, With Love From Lucie, 3/28/10 Early this morning, the legendary actress, writer, director animal rights' champion and theatre icon, June Havoc, made her blessed journey home. A stunning woman, even at 97 years of age, who was never less than scandalous and witty and so wondrously wise, she was my adopted mother, the only grandmother my kids ever had and my best friend. Please hold a place for her in your thoughts today as she makes her entrance to the only stage that really matters. God bless you, Havoc. You were loved'”, posted this date in 2010.

The Lucy Lounge Website - bweir: “The Gay Divorcees from 1962: Associated Press (AP) (Wirephoto), Hollywood L.A. - Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, pictured: Lucy and Desi Team Up Again - '. . . although no longer Mr. and Mrs., and no longer television teammates, he is still her favorite director. Here, Desi, called in by Lucille to direct her scenes, coaches her during filming of her starring role in a segment of the Victor Borga Comedy Show. She's drinking champagne in her seat on an airplane'”, posted this date in 2010.

The Lucy Lounge Website - rickee: “TV Guide: Darling! A surprised Lucille Ball greets an old friend 3000 miles from home....and then they go to work. While in Philadelphia, taping Lucille's guest appearance on The Mike Douglas Show, 1968 - Two-page article, reviewing Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) surprise visit to Lucille”, posted this date in 2010.

March 31

Eddie Quillan, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, 1941; guest, Desilu Productions’ The Texan, 1959; guest star, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Lucy Show, 1962; guest, Desilu Productions’, Glynis, 1963; co-star, Lucille Ball film,, 1967, guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Guns of Will Sonnett, 1967; guest, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1970; with Desi Arnaz IV, film, 1973; as well as guest, with Lucie Arnaz, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1974, is born this date in 1907.

Henry Morgan, guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1954; panelist of (“I've Got A Secret”), 1952-1976, 216 episodes, panelist, 1972, 1976; (“What's My Line?”), 1956-1967, 8 episodes, as well as 4 episodes, 1971-72, fame, on which Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz have appeared at one time, or another; is born this date in 1915.

Peggy Rea, veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”) 4 episodes, 1953, and one of the original members of the Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Family Affair, 1966, Desilu Productions', Mission: Impossible, 1968; and guest, Mannix, 2 episodes, 1968; as well as GAB Entertainment's, You Know The Face, Lucille Ball appearing archivally, 2009, is born this date in 1921.

Shirley Jones, of The Partridge Family fame, guest star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Danny Thomas Show, 1959; Desilu Productions' Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Comedy Spot, 1962; guest, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood, 1962; appears with Lucille, Women I Love: Beautiful But Funny, 1982, and Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope's Bag Full of Christmas Memories, 1993; as well as with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope at 100, 2003; is born this date in 1934.

The NYer: “Luxury, Inc.,” – “Lucille Ball worked modeling clothing for Hattie Carnegie; but was unable to support herself; so, returned home to Jamestown via the Erie Railroad and re-enrolled in high school, as a sophomore,” published this date in 1934.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy” which made history and will perpetuate.] The rehearsal and taping schedule of My Favorite Husband, “The Silk Stockings” - episode #125 was flexible enough to allow Lucille Ball freedom to accept outside roles until the series went off the air; resulting in (“I Love Lucy”) cast - Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley, appearing in the 30-minute, Situation Comedy - final script for My Favorite Husband “The April Fool Joke” CBS Radio’s live Network, broadcast this date in 1951.

Ralph Forbes, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1935, 1937; 1938, dies this date in 1951.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucy”) “Pioneer Women,” which has many production problems solved by Union-Made Bakery, which actually “bakes” the “loaf” - episode also calls for Ricky to ride a horse, which is too large to get into apartment 'set'; so, is filmed on the back porch set, with veteran supporting cast member (of many episodes of My Favorite Husband), Ruth Perrott, then, Katie, the maid, becomes part of this episode; character names taken from actual CBS and Philip Morris personnel, revolving around another “bet” between the couples that the women are getting soft, and can’t do the things their grandmothers did, with supporting cast member, Florence Bates, airing this date in 1952.

Television Columnist, Jack Gould: “What’s happened to (‘I Love Lucy?’) At the rate the program’s going the last few weeks, it’s surely jeopardizing its exalted place in the popularity charts. Where once the show was a recognizable and hilarious farce on married life, it currently seems bent on succumbing to the most pedestrian and sophomoric slapstick,” this date in 1954.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucy”), Episode #125, which is filmed this date in 1955.

CBS’ The Lucy Show – 30-minutes, black & white – this is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball’s classic 1960’s sitcom. Re-runs of (“I Love Lucy”) Sundays had done so well for CBS, it decides to add an extra night of (“I Love Lucy”) re-runs Saturdays in the early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucy”), in spite of Desi’s desire to move on to larger projects and constant pumping for an hour-long “Lucy” show, it had, for the four-week period, shot once again to number one position in the Nielsen ratings, (the fifth time the Series had achieved this height, as well as number two spot for the entire season) in March 1956.

Gene Lockhart, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1937; Lucille Ball’s early film-career co-star, 1947; as well as, co-star, William Frawley, 1952; dies this date in 1957.

Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Betty Hutton Show “Gullible Goldie”, Ralph Goodman, teleplay and story; James Paisley, Productions Supervisor, starring, Betty Hutton, Gigi Perreau, guest starring, Ellen Corby, among others, airing this date in 1960.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “The Glorious Days of the Used to Be”, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring, Don Ameche and Betty Hutton, among others, airs this date in 1964.

CBS’ The Lucy Show - While each of Lucille Ball’s series has always gone on summer hiatus, selected re-runs of the show are aired in prime time instead of a summer replacement series, commencing March 24. The remaining weeks are re-runs for the first time in color from the series’ last three seasons (1965-68) on this date in 1969.

TV Guide cover: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz IV: “Lucy and Her $50 Million Baby, 20 Years Later” adorn this week in 1973.

Doris Packer, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz guest cast member, (“I Love Lucy”) 1957, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; Desilu Productions’ Fair Exchange, 1962; as well as Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law, 1968, dies this date in 1979.

Lucie Arnaz is one of the guest performers, “Hooray for Hollywood”, on The 53rd Annual Academy Awards, airing this date in 1981.

Jerry Paris, Happy Days fame, guest co-star, Desilu Productions, Those Whiting Girls, 1955-1957; Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 1959-1960; and Lucille Ball guest co-star, “Here’s Lucy”, 1970, dies this date in 1986.

LA Times, Susan King: “TV Museum – Fountain of Youth Show,” published this date in 2000.

Sun-Times (Chicago), Richard Roeper: “Women Couldn’t Get Arrested for Inciting a Laugh Riot,” published this date in 2000.

The Post-Journal – Wilmer Valderrama To Headline Luci-Desi Days – Jamestown, NY – “Valderrama, star of ‘That ‘70s Show’ and ‘Fast Food Nation’ and the creator and host of MTV’s ‘Yo Momma’ is coming to Jamestown Saturday, May 24, to celebrate Desi Arnaz’ contributions to the world of entertainment”, published this date in 2008.

The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum has announced the availability of Festival Tickets for the upcoming Lucy-Desi Days Fan Appreciation Weekend, set for May 28, 29, and 30, and this year, including Life With Lucy Film Festival; Suzanne LaRusch, Lucille Ball impressionist - An Evening with Lucille Ball: Thank you for Asking, co-written by Lucie Arnaz and her friend, Suzanne LaRusch; Dann Cahn, Lucy Family Picnic and Fan Reunion, and many usual events, such as VIP Cruising Chautauqua Lake on the Summer Wind, Lucy-town Bus Tours; a Guest Photo Opportunity & Breakfast with Lucy and Desi Ricardo (Diane Vincent and Adrian Israel, professional impressionists), and many other events. presented on this day in 2010.

Geez, talk about being totally up to date, you even have Liz Taylor's death on here. :lucyhorror:

Interesting, isn't it, that I mistakenly printed March 23 twice (once last week's), and again, just saving it for this week's readers, for the entry on Elizabeth's death notice!

Seriously, I have also added to March 24, 2011, as well, for those of (you), my faithful readers, who have already read this week's entry. Thanks for being loyal to the work....Love, JK

You could add to March 24th that Joan Blondell was her sister, meaning that one sister did an ILL and the other did a Lucy show.

Back to the theory: If I do one, I have to do all.... [er...... 'additional information', that is...tee hee...]; so, guess we'll just have to be satisfied in the reading of all, that Joan and Gloria were separate in their relation and appearances with Lucille and company....

Sorry.... these are ALL very good suggestions; however, a 900-page document no one will read; I'll be lucky they can stuff this lengthy one down their throats!!! We'll see, though, won't we?

Love, JK :unsure:

Back to the theory: If I do one, I have to do all.... [er...... 'additional information', that is...tee hee...]; so, guess we'll just have to be satisfied in the reading of all, that Joan and Gloria were separate in their relation and appearances with Lucille and company....

Sorry.... these are ALL very good suggestions; however, a 900-page document no one will read; I'll be lucky they can stuff this lengthy one down their throats!!! We'll see, though, won't we?

Love, JK :unsure:

I just meant some of your notations mean nothing to people as the people have been dead fifty years, they are not even known nowadays, the ones i keep pestering you with are some that any Lucy fan can relate to, but i understand your point, however, I WOULD READ a 900 page book about Lucy, LOL! Just ignore it and consider it an addition to your notations here for us to read, i never expected you to change anything in your book, just comments on your chronology here for us to relate to, sorry.

Am i the only one who looks for BIG NAMES as i read these THINS? Gary Morton was on only 3 Lucy shows and only starting in '65? Thought he did more. RKO producer Pam Berman was a Lucy friend? What a nice way to put that relationship, wink wink! You weren't kidding when you said you did not do SMUT huh? And i would add to any Jack Palance mention that Lucy desppised HIM and his diva like behavior, the only star she ever criticized publicly as she guested on his Desilu show to try and save it and was called to his set by Madame President of Deilu too many times by Mr Ego.

14 episodes were scripted though.

Yeah, i thought SHE might come back to me with that fact, LOL! But when you list the number of Lucy shows, you don't mention the basketball one or any others that were scripted but never aired huh? But gary was in more than three episodes of The Lucy Show, right?

Yeah, i thought SHE might come back to me with that fact, LOL! But when you list the number of Lucy shows, you don't mention the basketball one or any others that were scripted but never aired huh? But gary was in more than three episodes of The Lucy Show, right?

But episodes like Basketball were just trashed. They fully intended to proceed with 'Twas The Night Before Christmas.

It feels like Gary was in more than three TLS episodes but only three immediately come to mind: Lucy Takes Up Golf, Lucy Goes to Vegas, and The Boss-of-the-Year award...

But episodes like Basketball were just trashed. They fully intended to proceed with 'Twas The Night Before Christmas.

It feels like Gary was in more than three TLS episodes but only three immediately come to mind: Lucy Takes Up Golf, Lucy Goes to Vegas, and The Boss-of-the-Year award...

Oh ok, i thought she meant the three where they dated and when i watched boss of the year today, i thought hey, this is a later one that he was on on top of the dating ones, i really thought he did more than just three. I'll just go check the Lucy book.

Oh ok, i thought she meant the three where they dated and when i watched boss of the year today, i thought hey, this is a later one that he was on on top of the dating ones, i really thought he did more than just three. I'll just go check the Lucy book.

I just meant some of your notations mean nothing to people as the people have been dead fifty years, they are not even known nowadays, the ones i keep pestering you with are some that any Lucy fan can relate to, but i understand your point, however, I WOULD READ a 900 page book about Lucy, LOL! Just ignore it and consider it an addition to your notations here for us to read, i never expected you to change anything in your book, just comments on your chronology here for us to relate to, sorry.

It's my hope, each person reading the book, if it ever gets to print, will first see the birth of a famous person; they should 'connect' with the thought that, perhaps, the death date is also somewhere within the pages of the 'diary' [did you 'catch' THAT particular notation, March 23, I believe it is; about her loss???]; see the relationship to Lucille and Desi and the huge conglomerate that is Desilu, etc., and read on. Once I've grabbed them with the volume of stars Lucille and Desi, and the others, came into contact with, they will go searching for that birth/death date once they stumble over the death/birth date......capice?!? Or, does that make no sense at all? Love, JK

PS Keep 'editing' and suggesting....I'm loving our daily 'talk'...

Archived