ELIZABETH TAYLOR DEAD :(

mikidiki

FYI: Claude, I just saw a promo that tonight's CTV National News with Lloyd R. will have a feature on Liz and Dick's Montreal wedding!

Yes, i saw it on the 6 o'clock news, short feature and i wasn't even shown in the crowd so what's the point? LOL! It IS a sign of the times though, the beautiful Ritz Carlton Hotel where it all happenned in the Royal Suite, they ordered a case of champagne and two dozen champagne glasses for their twenty guests. The place has been torn up for months now, they are turning it into a ritzy still but much smaller hotel with some condos replacing many of the gigantic rooms, it's like nothing ever lasts any more. The place used to look like the Pierre hotel in NY where Lucy and Desi once stayed, it had that rooftop garden and fancy rooms, Jack Benny stayed in their suite three years later and joked about it in his act at Expo 67's Expo Theater. Kings and Queens, Presidents and Prime Ministers, film and TV stars have stayed there, it's Royal suite was THE fanciest suite of rooms to stay in here and mucho expensivo of course. Liz looked incredibly lovely that day with yellow flowers adorning her hair and cascading down her back, she wore a yellow chiffon dress to match, i'm sure we'll see that picture everywhere.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, i saw it on the 6 o'clock news, short feature and i wasn't even shown in the crowd so what's the point? LOL! It IS a sign of the times though, the beautiful Ritz Carlton Hotel where it all happenned in the Royal Suite, they ordered a case of champagne and two dozen champagne glasses for their twenty guests. The place has been torn up for months now, they are turning it into a ritzy still but much smaller hotel with some condos replacing many of the gigantic rooms, it's like nothing ever lasts any more. The place used to look like the Pierre hotel in NY where Lucy and Desi once stayed, it had that rooftop garden and fancy rooms, Jack Benny stayed in their suite three years later and joked about it in his act at Expo 67's Expo Theater. Kings and Queens, Presidents and Prime Ministers, film and TV stars have stayed there, it's Royal suite was THE fanciest suite of rooms to stay in here and mucho expensivo of course. Liz looked incredibly lovely that day with yellow flowers adorning her hair and cascading down her back, she wore a yellow chiffon dress to match, i'm sure we'll see that picture everywhere.

Can't find a new thread button so i'll retell this story here . . .

Can't find a new thread button so i'll retell this story here . . .

Howard Rafayel's great LUCY book called WHERE THE HELL IS DESILU? tells this terrific story about Liz and Dick's appearance on Here's Lucy . . . we all know how they were too tired and wanted to go home, Lucy and gary that is, but they were convinced to go to this Embassy party nearby and that's where they saw Liz and Dick. Dick yelled across the room WHY HAVEN'T YOU EVER HAD US ON YOUR SHOW? Lucy was stunned but got to work immediately getting Howard to check with the drunken Richard to see if he meant what he said, he WAS drunk, but he did like the thought of doing comedy for a change. Lucy got her writers to churn out yet another rehash of the ring stuck on the finger routine and they pulled out all the stops in getting anything the Burtons could want including wardrobe, gifts, cars at their disposal, suites at the Beverly Hills Hotel and so on . . . we all know the story of how it went down, a mite difficult at times as these were actors not used to doing comedy and in front of an audience yet, they enjoyed it so much though that they embarked on a tour with a play, a comedy, shortly thereafter. My favorite part of the story follows and involves Liz though . . .

Howard Rafayel's great LUCY book called WHERE THE HELL IS DESILU? tells this terrific story about Liz and Dick's appearance on Here's Lucy . . . we all know how they were too tired and wanted to go home, Lucy and gary that is, but they were convinced to go to this Embassy party nearby and that's where they saw Liz and Dick. Dick yelled across the room WHY HAVEN'T YOU EVER HAD US ON YOUR SHOW? Lucy was stunned but got to work immediately getting Howard to check with the drunken Richard to see if he meant what he said, he WAS drunk, but he did like the thought of doing comedy for a change. Lucy got her writers to churn out yet another rehash of the ring stuck on the finger routine and they pulled out all the stops in getting anything the Burtons could want including wardrobe, gifts, cars at their disposal, suites at the Beverly Hills Hotel and so on . . . we all know the story of how it went down, a mite difficult at times as these were actors not used to doing comedy and in front of an audience yet, they enjoyed it so much though that they embarked on a tour with a play, a comedy, shortly thereafter. My favorite part of the story follows and involves Liz though . . .

For her work on the show, they got Liz the STREISAND trailer, as it was known, she had this humongous and fancy trailer built for her for one of her recent gigantic films, so Lucy and gary got it for Lizzie. Liz loved it so much that when they were all celebrating after the taping of the show, and all in good spirits as they drank the night away at this gigantic and very ritzy and not typical Lucy show party, Liz sat at gary's table while Lucy sat with Richard and others. So at one point Liz mentions that she LOVED the trailer, so pompous ass gary, wanting to impress the crowd says to her, YOU LIKED IT, IT'S YOURS, he promises the trailer anywhere she wants it, so she says "home", in Switzerland, can you imagine how much the trailer cost, let alone how much it would cost to get it all the way there, in Europe? So, when Lucy found out the next day, she had Howard call them and say that gary had NOT offered the trailer, Howard kept repeating that he HAD and Lucy kept saying NO HE DID NOT! Much later, the trailer was brought over for Lucy on a lot somwhere she was shooting a movie and these gigantic cranes lifting it dropped it and the beautiful expensive trailer was no more, in two gigantic pieces and all the mirrors and accoutrements inside in shreds, all in tatters like gary's ego.

I was very sad to hear this news today. Rest in Peace, Elizabeth Taylor! One of the very last of the great movie stars, and such a wonderful charity activist as well.

Yeah i'm surprised there was no Enquirer cover saying she was dying, guess all their reporters were covering Zsa Zsa. Wasn't Liz the star most often mentionned on various Lucy shows? They both were at MGM together although Liz was a child then and went to school in the little schoolhouse on the lot. Lucy and Desi were the biggest star couple in the fifties and Liz and Dick were the ones to follow in the sixties. I wonder if Carol Burnett who worked with her and considered her a friend will mention her tonight on leno. I think i just heard Debbie Reynolds might be on Joy Behar so there's another mention by someone who felt her hubby was stolen away by Liz in one of the biggest stories of that time. Lucy and Liz also shared the dubious distinction of appearing more than once on Mr Blackwell's worst dressed list.

I am so saddened by Elizabeth Taylor's passing. The tributes on "The View" and "The Joy Behar Show" were terrific. Debbie Reynolds was phoned in on Joy's show. I have two of her films on DVD: "The Last Time I Saw Paris" and "Father's Little Dividend". The films that stand out for me are "Sudddenly Last Summer", "Cat On The Hot Tin Roof", and "Who Is Affraid Of Virginia Wolf".

The Here's Lucy documentary of the Burtons episode features a man who said, "You did NOT mention the name STREISAND in front of Elizabeth Taylor"

Can someone shed some light on this. Did Liz have a distaste for BIG NOSE?

Hey, watch those BIG NOSE comments, ok? LOL! Streisand said some very nice words when commenting on her passing so i doubt there was anything other than Liz losing the Streisand trailer gary had promised her, LOL!

I just saw a promo for tonight's Entertainment Tonight and they will be featuring clips from Liz and Dick's appearance on a "lost" Lucy episode. LOL

I was wondering WHY nobody had brought that up in the media, no wonder, it was LOST huh? LOL! I expected Carol Burnett to bring it up on leno last night, she was the one who introduced it at Liz' American Film Institute tribute and we all know Carol only has TWO Lucy stories, the Liz Here's Lucy ep and the one about IT WAS THE SECOND NIGHT OF A SHOW I WAS DOING CALLED ONCE UPON A MATTRESS, I SAW HER RED HAIR IN THE AUDIENCE, . . . . lol!

The old broads always seem to have trouble in their dottage with these thins huh? Lucy, Bette, Lizzie and even the old bro Kirk Douglas, it's not been their finest hour by any means. As for the first clip of Liz, whatever she was ON, I'LL HAVE SOME OF WHAT SHE'S HAVING! Just think, she's probably UP THERE right now, showing Michael Jackson how to create those mahvelous RACCOON EYES.

Lost???? LOL!

Exactly. :lucythrill: Maybe they mislabelled their tape? LOL

I saw a short segment of people going in and leaving Forest Lawn today on KTLA and thought it was hilarious that Liz made special arrangements to "arrive 15 minutes late" for her own funeral. LOL

Exactly. :lucythrill: Maybe they mislabelled their tape? LOL

I saw a short segment of people going in and leaving Forest Lawn today on KTLA and thought it was hilarious that Liz made special arrangements to "arrive 15 minutes late" for her own funeral. LOL

Now THAT's funny!!! She was famous for ALWAYS being late wherever she went, keeping people waiting for hours on end, that is friggin hilarious! I wonder if she was late on the Here's Lucy set. And i wonsder if she was given a gift every day of shooting as was requested in her contract, how pampered this diva was!

Another special where Lucy and Lizzie were on together but were interviewed seperately. Just watched the Dinah show where she paid tribute to the First Ladies, Lucy for Tv and Lizzie for cinema as well as Ella Fitzgerald for jazz and Beverly Sills for opera, great interview, Lucy is asked stuff all the way through, even in the other ladies' segments. Liz was in a remote interview after the others, on screen only but looked gorgeous. Did you see the pic of Liz at her Kennedy Center Honors tribute, sitting next to Paul Simon? I can see where she was considered WORST DRESSED all those years. Yellow sparkly number cut down to her navel and hair done by Blender of Hollywood. Liz ia another perfect example of a great beauty who could not age well, at least at the very end. I know, i know, her beauty INSIDE more than made up for it. Same as Lucy.

I was wondering WHY nobody had brought that up in the media, no wonder, it was LOST huh? LOL! I expected Carol Burnett to bring it up on leno last night, she was the one who introduced it at Liz' American Film Institute tribute and we all know Carol only has TWO Lucy stories, the Liz Here's Lucy ep and the one about IT WAS THE SECOND NIGHT OF A SHOW I WAS DOING CALLED ONCE UPON A MATTRESS, I SAW HER RED HAIR IN THE AUDIENCE, . . . . lol!

I wish they told me it was "lost" I have this episode on DVD! :marionstrong:

Ever since the long lost pilot for I Love Lucy was uncovered, everything is promoted "long lost".

I wish they told me it was "lost" I have this episode on DVD! :marionstrong:

Ever since the long lost pilot for I Love Lucy was uncovered, everything is promoted "long lost".

I guess they mean they haven't aired it on tv as a regular show on a network in over 40 years so that carried more weight to look like something really special, not realizing that it was the second BIGGEST rated Lucy show of all time, after little Ricky's birth, so that's special enough for most people, LOL! I'm glad ET went on that archeological DIG and FOUND the darn thing, LOL!

Archived