Lucy 1967 Emmy Win with Nominees

Neil

The nominees are announced in this clip

WOW, SO NICE TO SEE THAT. This is so much better than the Merv Griffin clip we keep seeing, i notice the GLITCH less but in the same place, she looked so incredibly beautiful there and spoke so well, thanks for posting that Neil.

LOVE THIS!!! This is one of my all-time FAVORITE Lucy moments. She is so sweet and real here, not to mention that she looks positively gorgeous!! It's so nice to see an expanded and slightly better quality version of this very special moment. Thanks for sharing!

LOVE THIS!!! This is one of my all-time FAVORITE Lucy moments. She is so sweet and real here, not to mention that she looks positively gorgeous!! It's so nice to see an expanded and slightly better quality version of this very special moment. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, her shock at winning is genuine all right, but she made a mistake, she says she hasn't won in 14 years but she had won in '55, couldn't attend because of a sponsor conflict and Madelyn accepted for her.

Yeah, her shock at winning is genuine all right, but she made a mistake, she says she hasn't won in 14 years but she had won in '55, couldn't attend because of a sponsor conflict and Madelyn accepted for her.

Thanks for the info, never knew that xx

Thanks for the info, never knew that xx

Well, if SHE didn't even know it, why would YOU be expected to know, LOL! The only reason i know is because it was written up like that in a book i read on her. So she won in '53, '55, '67 and '68, but there's always confusion as to what year is it as it has the calendar year or the year the trophies were given out, just like the Oscars. To make things even more confusing, she won as best comedienne one time and best lead actress in a comedy series twice.

Well, if SHE didn't even know it, why would YOU be expected to know, LOL! The only reason i know is because it was written up like that in a book i read on her. So she won in '53, '55, '67 and '68, but there's always confusion as to what year is it as it has the calendar year or the year the trophies were given out, just like the Oscars. To make things even more confusing, she won as best comedienne one time and best lead actress in a comedy series twice.

It always bothered me that she never won an Emmy for Here's Lucy............you would've thought at least ONE! :lucyhehe:

It always bothered me that she never won an Emmy for Here's Lucy............you would've thought at least ONE! :lucyhehe:

I lived through those years, she was not the BELOVED Queen we all remember at that time, they thought she had been on long enough and kept repeating herself so when she died, they suddenly realized who they had lost and this big resurgeance happened and with the internet and her priceless shows out on dvd came this Queen of Comdey status back and intact. Back in the here's Lucy days, she was competing with herself on I Love Lucy and the two did not compare well, today of course we look at those shows as the Queen acting and doing comedy and we see them as classics, that's not the way they were perceived back in the day.

Or at LEAST a nomination. Especially for the early years considering the weak competition. Her 66-67 win was applauded, but the second win 67-68 made it two in a row and that generated some "Enough already!" backlash from the press. So I think it was because of that that she was shut out of the next two years 68-69 and 69-70. The winner of both years was Hope Lange, an actress with some charm but not 'outstanding' in her role in the extremely light-weight and only occasionally enjoyable "Ghost and Mrs. Muir". Other nominees were Elizabeth Montgomery, but Bewitched had really run its course by then and she was resorting to schtick and didn't excel in that; Diahnn Carroll who was fine, but DULL in the equally dull "Julia". I would have picked other nominee Marlo Thomas over Hope Lange. Once the 70s rolled around, the competition for Comedy Series Actress was stiffer with Mary Tyler Moore, Jean Stapleton, and later Bea Arthur in Maude.

From 1962 through 1970 the Best Comedy Actress was won by the same person 2 years in a row: Shirley Booth, followed by Mary Tyler Moore, Lucy, then Lange.

When she won her 66-67 Emmy (in May 1967) it had technically been only 11 years since she last won. Her 1955 win was presented in March of 1956. Notice that the announcement of her previous wins as she walks to the podium leaves out the 1955 award too and just mentions the two I Love Lucy Best Comedy wins and her 1952 Best Comedienne award.

Or at LEAST a nomination. Especially for the early years considering the weak competition. Her 66-67 win was applauded, but the second win 67-68 made it two in a row and that generated some "Enough already!" backlash from the press. So I think it was because of that that she was shut out of the next two years 68-69 and 69-70. The winner of both years was Hope Lange, an actress with some charm but not 'outstanding' in her role in the extremely light-weight and only occasionally enjoyable "Ghost and Mrs. Muir". Other nominees were Elizabeth Montgomery, but Bewitched had really run its course by then and she was resorting to schtick and didn't excel in that; Diahnn Carroll who was fine, but DULL in the equally dull "Julia". I would have picked other nominee Marlo Thomas over Hope Lange. Once the 70s rolled around, the competition for Comedy Series Actress was stiffer with Mary Tyler Moore, Jean Stapleton, and later Bea Arthur in Maude.

From 1962 through 1970 the Best Comedy Actress was won by the same person 2 years in a row: Shirley Booth, followed by Mary Tyler Moore, Lucy, then Lange.

When she won her 66-67 Emmy (in May 1967) it had technically been only 11 years since she last won. Her 1955 win was presented in March of 1956. Notice that the announcement of her previous wins as she walks to the podium leaves out the 1955 award too and just mentions the two I Love Lucy Best Comedy wins and her 1952 Best Comedienne award.

I agree with absolutely everything you said, i remember even Joyce Haber, whom we got to see IN PERSON on the Liz/Dick ep of Here's Lucy had been one of those LOUD VOICES complaining about not only Lucy but also Don Adams for Get Smart repeating two years in a row, where were these people when Carol O'connor, Jean Stapleton, Mary Tyler moore, Candice Bergen and so many others won year after year after year making the Emmy a lousy show with the same damned winners all the time, by that logic, then Lucy should have won six in a row for I Love Lucy. Hope Lange was classy and a very good actress but you're right, her show was extremely lightweight, as was Julia. The Emmys just always nominated the same people, it took decades for them to change a bit, when the Golden Globes would single someone out and then they'd get the Emmy nomination the following year. You have to wonder why she never got nominated for her specials or even Stone Pillow, but yet they included PILLOW in their retrospective of the best tv movies of all time on a recent Emmy broadcast. It's like i said before, Lucy went through a tough period where she was lumped with Hope and Berle and others as old time relics who did those horrible unfunny sketches on variety specials when Lucy at least should have been paired with someone who was top echelon in the biz giving her material suited to her talents instead of the shlock she was saddled with. What i'd love to hear now from you all is what shows of Here's Lucy would you have nominated her for? Classic old time slapstick like Lucy the Fixer? I hope to God they did not submit the Goorboona episode for her. They had to choose her best show and offer that to the Academy as a For Your Consideration hoopla, the Liz and Dick ep sure would have been worthy. Lucy did get noms for this series at the Globes though, didn't she?

I agree with absolutely everything you said, i remember even Joyce Haber, whom we got to see IN PERSON on the Liz/Dick ep of Here's Lucy had been one of those LOUD VOICES complaining about not only Lucy but also Don Adams for Get Smart repeating two years in a row, where were these people when Carol O'connor, Jean Stapleton, Mary Tyler moore, Candice Bergen and so many others won year after year after year making the Emmy a lousy show with the same damned winners all the time, by that logic, then Lucy should have won six in a row for I Love Lucy. Hope Lange was classy and a very good actress but you're right, her show was extremely lightweight, as was Julia. The Emmys just always nominated the same people, it took decades for them to change a bit, when the Golden Globes would single someone out and then they'd get the Emmy nomination the following year. You have to wonder why she never got nominated for her specials or even Stone Pillow, but yet they included PILLOW in their retrospective of the best tv movies of all time on a recent Emmy broadcast. It's like i said before, Lucy went through a tough period where she was lumped with Hope and Berle and others as old time relics who did those horrible unfunny sketches on variety specials when Lucy at least should have been paired with someone who was top echelon in the biz giving her material suited to her talents instead of the shlock she was saddled with. What i'd love to hear now from you all is what shows of Here's Lucy would you have nominated her for? Classic old time slapstick like Lucy the Fixer? I hope to God they did not submit the Goorboona episode for her. They had to choose her best show and offer that to the Academy as a For Your Consideration hoopla, the Liz and Dick ep sure would have been worthy. Lucy did get noms for this series at the Globes though, didn't she?

The 1968 Emmy winners were all repeats of the previous year: Lucy, Don Adams, Barbara Bain, and Bill Cosby, which is really what the whole backlash was about. There was talk about possibly only making shows in their first season eligible for the following year's awards, but this didn't happen. From 1963 to 1974, the Best Actress in a Comedy Series winner won two years in a row: Shirley Booth, Mary Tyler Moore (there was no category in 1965, but Mary won in '64 and '66), Lucy, Hope Lange, Mary Tyler Moore again, and Jean Stapleton. Valerie Harper won in 1975, but lost to Mary in 1976.

The Best Actress category went from five nominees in 1968 (Lucy's last win) to four the following year to three in 1970. It remained at three until 1976. This made it harder for Lucy to be nominated. From 1971 to 1975, the three nominees consisted of Mary Tyler Moore, Jean Stapleton, and one other woman (Marlo Thomas, Sandy Duncan, Bea Arthur - twice, and Valerie Harper).

Lucy was nominated for at the Golden Globes for Here's Lucy in 1970 (lost in a tie between Carol Burnett and The Governor & JJ's Julie Sommars), 1971 (lost to Mary Tyler Moore), and 1972 (lost to Carol again).

The 1968 Emmy winners were all repeats of the previous year: Lucy, Don Adams, Barbara Bain, and Bill Cosby, which is really what the whole backlash was about. There was talk about possibly only making shows in their first season eligible for the following year's awards, but this didn't happen. From 1963 to 1974, the Best Actress in a Comedy Series winner won two years in a row: Shirley Booth, Mary Tyler Moore (there was no category in 1965, but Mary won in '64 and '66), Lucy, Hope Lange, Mary Tyler Moore again, and Jean Stapleton. Valerie Harper won in 1975, but lost to Mary in 1976.

The Best Actress category went from five nominees in 1968 (Lucy's last win) to four the following year to three in 1970. It remained at three until 1976. This made it harder for Lucy to be nominated. From 1971 to 1975, the three nominees consisted of Mary Tyler Moore, Jean Stapleton, and one other woman (Marlo Thomas, Sandy Duncan, Bea Arthur - twice, and Valerie Harper).

Lucy was nominated for at the Golden Globes for Here's Lucy in 1970 (lost in a tie between Carol Burnett and The Governor & JJ's Julie Sommars), 1971 (lost to Mary Tyler Moore), and 1972 (lost to Carol again).

I'm curious, did you get all that out of your new upcoming BOOK on Lucy? LOL!

Speaking of awards, i laughed out loud when in the Desilu documentary from Bravo, they mention the line, DESI WAS PRESENTED WITH THE PRESTIGIOUS PHOTOPLAY AWARD FOR HIS PERFORMANCE IN BATAAN! Only the Nobel prize would have topped that, at least that's what Lucie said at the time. :lucythrill:

Lucy was the only one to suffer from the 66-67/67-68 repeat wins backlash. The other 3 1968 winners were nominated again in 68-69. Don Adams and Barbara Bain won their third in a row.

I hadn't taken the 2 wins in a row Best Comedy Actress tally into the 70s but you're right, the trend did continue through 1974, although the order of the last two was Stapleton then MTM not the other way around.

I don't understand the 3 nominee situation because there were more nominations in other categories.

I'll use this opportunity to carp again about Mary in the Best Lead Actress category for Dick Van Dyke's show. Though she was the focus of some episodes and had a lot of screen time in others, there were many episodes that focused on Rob and/or the office.

Since Lucy wasn't nominated in 63-64, I would have picked Patty Duke over MTM. Talk about a workload! She was on-screen for virtually the whole "Patty Duke Show" co-starring with herself and creating two distinctly different characters.

And if Lucy couldn't win in 65-66, I would have given it to Elizabeth Montgomery, who was still charming at this point (before she made the switch to 'comedienne'). Poor Elizabeth lost her real shot at an Emmy because of the 64-65 Emmy revamp that did away with nominees. This was Bewitched's debut year. Lucy probably would have gotten a nomination in 64-65 too.

(I'm not knocking MTM---just think she was more supporting than lead)

Also not knocking Hope Lange, but two wins in a row?? These are among the least deserved Emmy wins in the award's history. There was nothing challenging about "Ghost". I'd like to she how SHE would do with the "Gorboona" script!! or how Jean Stapleton would do with a Here's Lucy script revised for "All in the Family", like "The Bunkers Go to the Jungle" or "Edith Makes a Few Extra Dollars".

Lucy was the only one to suffer from the 66-67/67-68 repeat wins backlash. The other 3 1968 winners were nominated again in 68-69. Don Adams and Barbara Bain won their third in a row.

I hadn't taken the 2 wins in a row Best Comedy Actress tally into the 70s but you're right, the trend did continue through 1974, although the order of the last two was Stapleton then MTM not the other way around.

I don't understand the 3 nominee situation because there were more nominations in other categories.

I'll use this opportunity to carp again about Mary in the Best Lead Actress category for Dick Van Dyke's show. Though she was the focus of some episodes and had a lot of screen time in others, there were many episodes that focused on Rob and/or the office.

Since Lucy wasn't nominated in 63-64, I would have picked Patty Duke over MTM. Talk about a workload! She was on-screen for virtually the whole "Patty Duke Show" co-starring with herself and creating two distinctly different characters.

And if Lucy couldn't win in 65-66, I would have given it to Elizabeth Montgomery, who was still charming at this point (before she made the switch to 'comedienne'). Poor Elizabeth lost her real shot at an Emmy because of the 64-65 Emmy revamp that did away with nominees. This was Bewitched's debut year. Lucy probably would have gotten a nomination in 64-65 too.

(I'm not knocking MTM---just think she was more supporting than lead)

Also not knocking Hope Lange, but two wins in a row?? These are among the least deserved Emmy wins in the award's history. There was nothing challenging about "Ghost". I'd like to she how SHE would do with the "Gorboona" script!! or how Jean Stapleton would do with a Here's Lucy script revised for "All in the Family", like "The Bunkers Go to the Jungle" or "Edith Makes a Few Extra Dollars".

I may be totally wrong with this but the Emmys went through a period where they seemed to award only people who LOOKED sophisticated, tired of being Oscar's little baby brother, they went for any performer that showed class instead of irksome slapstick, hence Hope Lange, Lucy in her sophisticated period, Mary, Candice Bergen etc . . . also, since that great injustice aws done to Liz Motgommery, who the hell beat her the year she was nominated for A Case of Rape's tv movie???

also, since that great injustice aws done to Liz Motgommery, who the hell beat her the year she was nominated for A Case of Rape's tv movie???

Cicely Tyson for "The Diary of Miss Jane Pittman." The other unbelievable nominees: Cloris Leachman for "The Migrants," Katharine Hepburn for "The Glass Menagerie," and Carol Burnett for "6 Rms Riv Vu."

Cicely Tyson for "The Diary of Miss Jane Pittman." The other unbelievable nominees: Cloris Leachman for "The Migrants," Katharine Hepburn for "The Glass Menagerie," and Carol Burnett for "6 Rms Riv Vu."

OMG no wonder she lost again, i would have voted for the great Cicely Tyson also, Miss Jane Pittman was the role of a lifetime, i can still see her drinking at that WHITES ONLY fountain. She should also have won the Oscar for Sounder, i know i've said it many times, but i'm old and repeat myself a lot. So, Mr Encyclopedia who knows everything, who beat Cicely for that Oscar that year?

OMG no wonder she lost again, i would have voted for the great Cicely Tyson also, Miss Jane Pittman was the role of a lifetime, i can still see her drinking at that WHITES ONLY fountain. She should also have won the Oscar for Sounder, i know i've said it many times, but i'm old and repeat myself a lot. So, Mr Encyclopedia who knows everything, who beat Cicely for that Oscar that year?

Liza Minnelli for Cabaret. ;)

When we talk about the monopoly certain people had with the EMMY wins, we went from Mary Tyler Moore to Jean Stapleton and then the monotonous multi wins also of Candice Bergen and then Helen Hunt while others like Sarah Jessica Parker had to wait for the Golden Globe win to nudge the Emmy people into waking up that there ARE other actresses working in the business and making a mark with their talent on certain shows. Later, same thing happened with Tina Fey. The Golden Girls had to satisfy themselves with the nominations, as their wins were for two series usually.

Archived