Jackie Cooper dies at 88

Brock

Jackie Cooper, friend of Lucy and Desi, co-star to both (Lucy: The Bowery; Desi: The Navy Comes Through), and interviewee in Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie has died at 88.

Actor and director Jackie Cooper passed away on Tuesday (May 3) at 88-years-old, TMZ has learned.

The actor began working at just 3-years-old alongside his grandmother and was able to successfully transition into adult stardom. He is perhaps best known for his role as Perry White, the "Daily Planet" no-nonsense editor in 1978's "Superman," and its three sequels.

Cooper remains the youngest actor to ever be nominated for an Academy Award in a leading role. In 1931 at just 9-years-old, he was nominated for his work in "Skippy."

In his later years, Cooper developed into a well respected director, winning Emmy awards for his work on "M*A*S*H*" and "The White Shadow."

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/05/jackie-cooper-superman-actor-dies-at-88.html

Jackie Cooper was the first star Lucy met in Hollywood.

He also starred in the sitcom The People's Choice, in which his basset hound, Cleo, was voiced by Mary Jane.

He also ran Screen Gems, the TV arm of Columbia Pictures for years, the studio that gave us such childhood faves as Bewitched, Jeannie, Dennis the Menace, Donna Reed Show, Flying Nun, Gidget, Hazel, Father Knows Best, The Monkees and The Partridge Family among countless others.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cooper.

Really? Where'd you read that? And what pray tell were the circumstances?

I thought it was in Love, Lucy, but it doesn't seem to be there. I have absolutely no idea how I know that now. It's a first person recollection from Lucy and now I don't know where it's from.

I thought it was in Love, Lucy, but it doesn't seem to be there. I have absolutely no idea how I know that now. It's a first person recollection from Lucy and now I don't know where it's from.

Well, it doesn't matter, if YOU say it, i know it's true, you have to be remembering it from somewhere. Wasn't he in the original movie about the old boxer and his kid, i forget the title, the one that got remade with Ricky Shroeder in Mr Cooper's part?

Archived