UPDATED: Mary Tyler Moore "recovering nicely" from brain surgery

Brock

Thankfully the tumour is benign, but with her existing health problems I certainly hope this is indeed a routine procedure. :(

Mary Tyler Moore has elected to undergo surgery to remove a meningioma, a benign tumor of the lining tissue of the brain, her rep tells PEOPLE exclusively.

"At the recommendation of her neurologist, who has been monitoring this for years, and a neurosurgeon, Mary decided to proceed with this fairly routine procedure," says the rep.

The veteran star – who in the '60s as Laura Petrie on the The Dick Van Dyke Show was TV's first sexy suburban housewife, and then in the '70s as Mary Richards on The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the prototypical single career woman – most recently did a guest spot opposite her friend (and MTM Show costar) Betty White on the season premiere of Hot in Cleveland.

In March, Moore, 73, appeared in Vanity Fair's annual Hollywood Issue, marking the 30th anniversary of the movie Ordinary People, for which she was Oscar-nominated for her role as the icy mother, by reuniting with its cast and director Robert Redford.

On Thursday's Rachael Ray Show, which was taped on May 5, Moore makes a surprise appearance during an interview with her friend and former costar Dick Van Dyke.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20488830,00.html

Get well soon, Mare!

I hope she is all right. She looked great on Rachael Ray this morning. I really hope her surgery goes well because of all her health problems. :(

Did she mention it on RR? This certainly came as a shock to me!! Looking forward to seeing her appearance. :)

And if she can survive all those plastic surgeries she underwent, hopefully this'll be a a breeze!! ;)

I thought it was a bit unfortunate for Entertainment Tonight to choose Elizabeth Taylor, George Harrison, and Ted Kennedy rather than brain tumour survivors who are still with us like Sandy Duncan, Lance Armstrong, Mark Ruffalo, and one of the older Osmonds.

Did she mention it on RR? This certainly came as a shock to me!! Looking forward to seeing her appearance. :)

And if she can survive all those plastic surgeries she underwent, hopefully this'll be a a breeze!! ;)

My co-workers were trying to tell me yesterday that she hasn't had any plastic surgeries, she's just "aged well." LOL.

I'll definitely be keeping Mary in my thoughts, maybe watch some MTMS later today...

Mare made it through the surgery and is "recovering nicely" according to the Associated Press:

56 mins ago

NEW YORK – A representative for Mary Tyler Moore says the veteran sitcom star is "recovering nicely" after surgery to remove a benign tumor on the lining of her brain.

Spokeswoman Erica Tarin says Moore will require no additional treatment after the four-hour procedure. Tarin would not specify when the surgery took place or where.

The procedure was to remove a meningioma (meh-NIN'-jee-OH'-muh), a slow-growing tumor in the membranes that cover the brain. Meningiomas usually occur in older adults and are mostly benign.

The 74-year-old Moore won fame as housewife Laura Petrie on "The Dick Van Dyke" show in the 1960s, then went on to even greater success starring in her own long-running sitcom.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110514/ap_en_ot/us_people_mary_tyler_moore

:lucywow:

Archived