Desi in 1970

Wow! He looks REALLY good here! So much better than he looked in the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour specials! He looks like he looked in I Love Lucy, just a bit older.

I know, dyed his hair and everything! And later he banged every one of those chorus girls in his dressing room.

I wish that they could remix this song for club dancing. Can you imagine this sondg on "Dancing With The Stars".

Actually they could use any of his songs whenever they do a samba type dance. Every time they do a TANGO on the show i think of him and Lucy.

On "Jimmy Durante Presents the Lennon Sisters".

Another clip from this posted in the Desi section.

Neil: Any chance you have some dates on these performances; I tried IMDb, and Desi is NOT listed in any Durante show episode; not, Lennons or on his own personal Durante Show....Thanks....Is it possible they were together on some OTHER show???

Thanks....Regards, Joyce

Neil: Any chance you have some dates on these performances; I tried IMDb, and Desi is NOT listed in any Durante show episode; not, Lennons or on his own personal Durante Show....Thanks....Is it possible they were together on some OTHER show???

Thanks....Regards, Joyce

Something's not right. According to TV com,the air date was May 6, 1969 but the series didn't debut until the fall on Sept. 26, 1969. The last first-run show ran April 4, 1970. All the other episodes are numbered but not Desi's. At first I thought maybe it never aired at all, but JDPLS did go into reruns for the summer so that doesn't make sense either.

I wonder if this was around the same time Desi visited the Here's Lucy Sammy Davis Jr. set, because he had colored his hair for something.

It's amazing how much difference hair color makes, how much older Desi looks with his naturally gray hair. This is just after "The Mothers In Law" and Desi looks so much better here. On "MIL" he looks bloated and haggard. Here he looks the most like Ricky Ricardo than I ever saw him post LDCH.

His performance of "Cumachero" is part of a long finale where Desi is a nightclub owner trying to get producer Durante to finance the show. I'm really impressed with Desi's performance. He's in command of his scenes and handles them with spontaneity without ever glancing at cue cards.

I don't know if he didn't want to work or what, but since his TV appearances in the 60s were rare this might have been the case. There's no reason he couldn't have put an act together and played Vegas or toured. He's obviously still "got it": that on-stage charm.

And if Sonny Bono could get his own show, I wonder if a variety show with Desi was ever proposed. Or at least him being a more frequent guest when variety series were still flourishing.

By the time of JDPLS, the format was gasping, having had all the life sucked out of it by the George Schlatter concept: pre-recording most of the singing, editing segments shot at different times together, and worst: over-sweetening the audience response. I don't think the death of variety shows had to do with audience's getting tired of them. They were just getting so un-watchable.

Another maybe: Desi was only interested in capturing some of his Desilu-days power by being a producer/creator.

And speaking of Desi appearances, I was not aware that his SNL stint was so early on, the 14th episode. Desi was an odd choice considering the other hosts were 'hipper': Paul simon, George Carling, Lily Tomlin, people like that.

And speaking of Desi appearances, I was not aware that his SNL stint was so early on, the 14th episode. Desi was an odd choice considering the other hosts were 'hipper': Paul simon, George Carling, Lily Tomlin, people like that.

But having Desi on sure made it much easier for the writers to have sketch ideas as was proven by the onslaught of Lucy/ILL/Desilu related ones.

Something's not right. According to TV com,the air date was May 6, 1969 but the series didn't debut until the fall on Sept. 26, 1969. The last first-run show ran April 4, 1970. All the other episodes are numbered but not Desi's. At first I thought maybe it never aired at all, but JDPLS did go into reruns for the summer so that doesn't make sense either.

I wonder if this was around the same time Desi visited the Here's Lucy Sammy Davis Jr. set, because he had colored his hair for something.

It's amazing how much difference hair color makes, how much older Desi looks with his naturally gray hair. This is just after "The Mothers In Law" and Desi looks so much better here. On "MIL" he looks bloated and haggard. Here he looks the most like Ricky Ricardo than I ever saw him post LDCH.

His performance of "Cumachero" is part of a long finale where Desi is a nightclub owner trying to get producer Durante to finance the show. I'm really impressed with Desi's performance. He's in command of his scenes and handles them with spontaneity without ever glancing at cue cards.

I don't know if he didn't want to work or what, but since his TV appearances in the 60s were rare this might have been the case. There's no reason he couldn't have put an act together and played Vegas or toured. He's obviously still "got it": that on-stage charm.

And if Sonny Bono could get his own show, I wonder if a variety show with Desi was ever proposed. Or at least him being a more frequent guest when variety series were still flourishing.

By the time of JDPLS, the format was gasping, having had all the life sucked out of it by the George Schlatter concept: pre-recording most of the singing, editing segments shot at different times together, and worst: over-sweetening the audience response. I don't think the death of variety shows had to do with audience's getting tired of them. They were just getting so un-watchable.

Another maybe: Desi was only interested in capturing some of his Desilu-days power by being a producer/creator.

According to the New York Times, Desi's Jimmy Durante Presents the Lennon Sisters aired on March 21, 1970. Desi's hair was also dyed black for his stint as co-host of The Mike Douglas Show in 1970 and for his lost Kraft Music Hall episode that same year. Desi appeared on Laugh-In that year too. It aired opposite "Lucy and Jack Benny's Biography," so at least he wasn't competing against his own children.

I wonder if his ill health during much of this time prevented him from accepting more work. His stamina seems great here.

According to the New York Times, Desi's Jimmy Durante Presents the Lennon Sisters aired on March 21, 1970. Desi's hair was also dyed black for his stint as co-host of The Mike Douglas Show in 1970 and for his lost Kraft Music Hall episode that same year. Desi appeared on Laugh-In that year too. It aired opposite "Lucy and Jack Benny's Biography," so at least he wasn't competing against his own children.

I wonder if his ill health during much of this time prevented him from accepting more work. His stamina seems great here.

Did he make any TV appearances before these (except Mo-in-law)? I've never heard of any. I think the people were a bit shocked by his appearance on MIL, because he had aged a lot (for a celebrity) and had done it out of the public eye. I was always disappointed that "A Book" ended with the divorce and we never saw "Another Book" because I was always interested in his post-Lucy life. It must have been hard to have gone from one of the most powerful men in town to relative anonymity-----at the age of 45 yet!

Did he make any TV appearances before these (except Mo-in-law)? I've never heard of any. I think the people were a bit shocked by his appearance on MIL, because he had aged a lot (for a celebrity) and had done it out of the public eye. I was always disappointed that "A Book" ended with the divorce and we never saw "Another Book" because I was always interested in his post-Lucy life. It must have been hard to have gone from one of the most powerful men in town to relative anonymity-----at the age of 45 yet!

Yeah, we were all looking forward to that second book called ANOTHER BOOK which he had planned and due to the success of A BOOK would have had no trouble producing BUT, i fear it might have been more a pamphlet career wise.

Archived