Who's Selling Lucy Stuff?

Even though there's no Lucy-Desi Days Festival, I can't seem to stay away from Jamestown on Memorial Day weekend. I still get to shop at the Center and visit the two museum, and I also get to visit/catch up with friends in the area that I otherwise wouldn't get to see on a regular festival weekend.

I had an interesting experience yesterday when I was out shopping around town. I had visited the Episcopal Church's Thrift Store on Pine Street and was going to head out to Fairmount Street to visit a few other stores. I noticed that the frame shop on the corner of 4th and Main Streets had a Lucy display in the window so I turned left onto Main (I was on 4th street going towards Fairmount), and I saw someone unloading a car who looked eerily familiar. I didn't stop, but continued on out of town to Fairmount.

On my way back to town, I made a detour to the frame shop because my curiosity got the better of me. I went inside and looked around a bit There were several books for sale (most out of print, but a few are in print currently) as well as several other items including (but not limited to) glassware, Christmas ornaments, posters (Lucy movies as well as 1990s Lucy Fest posters), mugs, one trunk (orange trunk with the stick figures from The Lucy Show and NO autographs), and some other times. I got talking with the store owner and he said that he had just finished setting up the display, "With the guy that wrote this book [pointing to For the Love of Lucy]." I learned that the items came from RW's collection and the guy I saw who looked familiar is RW. (His hair and glasses were different than I remembered, so I wasn't sure at first if it were indeed he.) I looked around the store and chatted with the owner a bit. I said that I've been attending festivals and visiting the Center for several years - I did not mention my name or specifically where I was from - and that I knew RW when he worked at the Center, but I did not go much further about him other than to ask what he's doing right now. The owner didn't give any substantial details other than "a little bit of this and that," so I didn't push further. Apparently, he and RW are friends and he's selling some of RW's stuff in his shop.

All of the items currently in the shop can be classified as merchandise and are not items that Lucy personally owned; although, I get the sense that RW may sell some of his Lucy artifacts, as the owner said that RW considered bringing several things in to the frame shop to sell, but chose no artifacts (at least not as this point). The owner specifically mentioned that RW had acquired some kitchenware and other items of Lucy's property from the estate sale of her Palm Springs home that was held after Gary Morton's death. (I wouldn't be suprised if RW had more artifacts than just things from the estate sale, but I don't know his collection.)

This is something interesting to watch and see how it progresses. I don't know if RW just started selling stuff in Jamestown since his "departure" from the Center or if it's been going on for a while (I've heard rumors of the latter from a reliable source). In any case, it's definitely going on now, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with this venture as time goes on. I dare say, though, that none of the income from sales of this merchandise would go to the Center.

Mary Jane Fan

VERY INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT!

I wonder if he will be selling some of his items in the Lucy-Desi silent auction in August, particularly the items that are supposedly from "the estate of Lucille Ball." Keep us posted and have fun! If your parents are with you, give them a big hello for me!

When I went to my first festival in August of 2003 Ric was walking out of that shop as I was walking in, so I'd dare say this has been going on since he was at the museum. And it was mostly the same kind of merch you mentioned, all horribly overpriced.

What's The Lucy Show trunk you mentioned??

Even though there's no Lucy-Desi Days Festival, I can't seem to stay away from Jamestown on Memorial Day weekend. I still get to shop at the Center and visit the two museum, and I also get to visit/catch up with friends in the area that I otherwise wouldn't get to see on a regular festival weekend.

I had an interesting experience yesterday when I was out shopping around town. I had visited the Episcopal Church's Thrift Store on Pine Street and was going to head out to Fairmount Street to visit a few other stores. I noticed that the frame shop on the corner of 4th and Main Streets had a Lucy display in the window so I turned left onto Main (I was on 4th street going towards Fairmount), and I saw someone unloading a car who looked eerily familiar. I didn't stop, but continued on out of town to Fairmount.

On my way back to town, I made a detour to the frame shop because my curiosity got the better of me. I went inside and looked around a bit There were several books for sale (most out of print, but a few are in print currently) as well as several other items including (but not limited to) glassware, Christmas ornaments, posters (Lucy movies as well as 1990s Lucy Fest posters), mugs, one trunk (orange trunk with the stick figures from The Lucy Show and NO autographs), and some other times. I got talking with the store owner and he said that he had just finished setting up the display, "With the guy that wrote this book [pointing to For the Love of Lucy]." I learned that the items came from RW's collection and the guy I saw who looked familiar is RW. (His hair and glasses were different than I remembered, so I wasn't sure at first if it were indeed he.) I looked around the store and chatted with the owner a bit. I said that I've been attending festivals and visiting the Center for several years - I did not mention my name or specifically where I was from - and that I knew RW when he worked at the Center, but I did not go much further about him other than to ask what he's doing right now. The owner didn't give any substantial details other than "a little bit of this and that," so I didn't push further. Apparently, he and RW are friends and he's selling some of RW's stuff in his shop.

All of the items currently in the shop can be classified as merchandise and are not items that Lucy personally owned; although, I get the sense that RW may sell some of his Lucy artifacts, as the owner said that RW considered bringing several things in to the frame shop to sell, but chose no artifacts (at least not as this point). The owner specifically mentioned that RW had acquired some kitchenware and other items of Lucy's property from the estate sale of her Palm Springs home that was held after Gary Morton's death. (I wouldn't be suprised if RW had more artifacts than just things from the estate sale, but I don't know his collection.)

This is something interesting to watch and see how it progresses. I don't know if RW just started selling stuff in Jamestown since his "departure" from the Center or if it's been going on for a while (I've heard rumors of the latter from a reliable source). In any case, it's definitely going on now, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with this venture as time goes on. I dare say, though, that none of the income from sales of this merchandise would go to the Center.

Mary Jane Fan

MJane: Received an interesting e-mail last evening that 'fits in' with this 'selling' of 'whatever' - waiting this morning for permission to 'spill it', and I choose here to do it if the permission arrives....stay tuned! Love, JK

When I went to my first festival in August of 2003 Ric was walking out of that shop as I was walking in, so I'd dare say this has been going on since he was at the museum. And it was mostly the same kind of merch you mentioned, all horribly overpriced.

What's The Lucy Show trunk you mentioned??

The trunk is orange with no autographs. The only markins (that I recall) was on the top of the lid: the stick figures of Lucy and Vivian nailing up the letters to "The Lucy Show." The price was $600, which I think is a little steep, especially since there are no autographs.

On a similar note, he's apparently selling items in other auctions too. I received the attached flyer in the mail yesterday from Hake's auction. I'm not sure why I received it since I've never received anything from that auction house before, but it's interesting to see that he's selling in other places too. To check out the items to go Hake's Auction and do a search for Lucy. It will note in the discription that which items come from his collection. (I tried uploading the flyer, but the file's too big.)

Mary Jane Fan

The trunk is orange with no autographs. The only markins (that I recall) was on the top of the lid: the stick figures of Lucy and Vivian nailing up the letters to "The Lucy Show." The price was $600, which I think is a little steep, especially since there are no autographs.

On a similar note, he's apparently selling items in other auctions too. I received the attached flyer in the mail yesterday from Hake's auction. I'm not sure why I received it since I've never received anything from that auction house before, but it's interesting to see that he's selling in other places too. To check out the items to go Hake's Auction and do a search for Lucy. It will note in the discription that which items come from his collection. (I tried uploading the flyer, but the file's too big.)

Mary Jane Fan

M.J. - Just WONDERING, out loud, since it would be certain death otherwise, that there may be 'other things' available; and once a person has 'purchased' something legitimately, there might be information available how to purchase 'OTHER THINGS' by personal contact with the seller. What think ye'???? Some clever person might 'stumble' on certain artifacts which properly belong in the Museum, and were 'donated' for just that purpose. Wishing, out loud, again, that we could be sure

This auction 'site' you mention was sent to me via e-mail, as I spoke of the other week; but, so far, no 'word' from the person whether it was for print; still waiting; thanks for posting what was sent you; I checked the 'site' given me; but, the 'stuff' seemed legit that was pictured there for sale/auction.... Love, JK

There have been several Lucy trunks sold at the festival auctions. I remember a Lucy Show one, an I Love Lucy, a Lucille Ball Productions, and a Mame trunk. They were brand new trunks created for the auction. They were not from Lucy's time. They all sold for hundreds of dollars. $600 wouldn't surprise me.

There have been several Lucy trunks sold at the festival auctions. I remember a Lucy Show one, an I Love Lucy, a Lucille Ball Productions, and a Mame trunk. They were brand new trunks created for the auction. They were not from Lucy's time. They all sold for hundreds of dollars. $600 wouldn't surprise me.

I remember the trunks you mentioned being sold at the auctions during the May and August festivals. Some of them went for big $$, and they're all great. (In fact, I purchased one of them.) Those that were autographed were more appealing to me, but all are lovely and I would image they're good hands.

Mary Jane Fan

• 2 weeks later...

Which trunk did you get? :lucywow:

THE STORY BEHIND THE TRUNKS GOES AS FOLLOWS. I ACTUALLY MADE THE CONTACT FOR THE CENTER TO BUY THOSE TRUNKS FOR 50 BUCKS EACH. JOHN HITCHCOCK PUT THE GRAPHICS ON THEM. I WONDER HOW RW MANAGED TO GET ONE! THE ONE I HAVE WAS $1000.00. INTERESTING.

THE STUFF RW HAS FOR SALE IS IN DAN'S FRAME SHOP. STUFF HAS BEEN THERE, REMOVED AND NOW PUT BACK AGAIN. I RAN INTO RW THERE AS WELL. SEEMS HE HAS QUITE THE LITTLE BUSINESS GOING ON. HE IS PURCHASING LOTS ON EBAY-JUST PAID 250.00 FOR A LUCY HALLOWEEN COSTUME. BIG BUCKS! I AM STILL ON THE LOOK OUT FOR MISSING ARTIFACTS FROM THE MUSEUM:) I WILL WATCH-FOREVER!

Archived