Jerry Herman bio

Neil

In the original Rosalind Russell verson, Gooch is two different characters: Patrick's nanny Nora and Gooch who's the stenographer hired to help Mame write her book. It's Mame's collaborator, a handsome writer named O'Banyon that Mame sends Gooch to the party with and impregnates her. This character is also eliminated from the Angela Broadway version. I think not having his character leaves a hole in the plot. He has the hots for Mame and him chasing Lucy around would have been fun. Also Mame has to talk him into taking Gooch to the party. Here it's very unclear where she's sending Gooch all dolled up (an orgy?) and exactly what she's been doing for 9 months. Mame doesn't seem all that concerned and there's NO connection between adult Patrick and Gooch, who in this version was his beloved childhood nanny. There's not one pleasant exchange between adult Patrick and Gooch. Also missing from the movie version is Babcock popping up along the way. When the Upson's rush out of the party, Mame has a confrontation with Babcock that spells out what the movie is all about.

But here's an idea that I just thought of!! Since we don't have O'Banyon, Mame could have sent Gooch to the 'party' with Babcock and HE'S the one who gets her pregnant, revealing his hypocracy. (A child by John mcGiver and Jane Connell: what a horrible thought.) Mame has invited people from Patrick's past to the Upson party in an effort to show him what uppity snobs the Upsons are. All that has been cut to the detriment of the movie. I remember one reviewer who liked the movie OK but made a couple of apropos statements: "This version tells the Auntie Mame story with considerable stuffing knocked out of it" and "A lot of the effectiveness of what's going on depends on your memory of the original." (and I'm paraphrasing from memory).

Good God, where have you been for most of my life's 140 viewings of this film, everything you say makes sense now and i see the movie in a whole different light, please, go on . . .

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay guys, now I wanna talk about what I do like about the movie.. I like her hair color/style in the "It's Today" segment... I like the roller skating scene.. LOVE every minute at that little 'ol plantation in Peckerwood, Gerogia.. "Mother of Jefferson Davis! She's passin' the fox!"... I really like the hair color and outfit she wears when in the buggy meeting Sally... Mame looks stunning in that outfit... I do like the way Lucille sings "If He Walked into My Life".. and I like when she pulls a pad and pencil out of her muff to give to Peter! And I absolutely love every minute Bea Arthur is on the screen.. watching MAME with a new big screen LCD tv, Vera's expressions durring "The Man in the Moon" segment are PRICELESS!!!! ILL FATED! I like when MAME admires herself in the mirror and applys just a bit more lipstick before hearing.. "MOOONN LADY YOU'RE ON!" YEAH.. so many fun moments.. that I wish happened all the way through the movie.. but hell I love Lucille, so I like most everything she does!

Okay guys, now I wanna talk about what I do like about the movie.. I like her hair color/style in the "It's Today" segment... I like the roller skating scene.. LOVE every minute at that little 'ol plantation in Peckerwood, Gerogia.. "Mother of Jefferson Davis! She's passin' the fox!"... I really like the hair color and outfit she wears when in the buggy meeting Sally... Mame looks stunning in that outfit... I do like the way Lucille sings "If He Walked into My Life".. and I like when she pulls a pad and pencil out of her muff to give to Peter! And I absolutely love every minute Bea Arthur is on the screen.. watching MAME with a new big screen LCD tv, Vera's expressions durring "The Man in the Moon" segment are PRICELESS!!!! ILL FATED! I like when MAME admires herself in the mirror and applys just a bit more lipstick before hearing.. "MOOONN LADY YOU'RE ON!" YEAH.. so many fun moments.. that I wish happened all the way through the movie.. but hell I love Lucille, so I like most everything she does!

Exactly, Lucy shines all through Mame, in spite of the material, thank God for the music and her wardrobe and her bigger than life personality that shines through the role.

Archived