Life With Lucy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope a DVD release will come about.

From the copies I have seen Lucille and Gale are in teriffic comic mode, the rest of the regular cast leaves a lot to be desired with awful loud voices and overacting beyond belief.

Lack of scenery due to all that chewing too. They must have saved a fortune on craft services.

As Metallica once said - sad, but true :(

Well, let's all just blame that lousy manager of hers, who was just out to make a killing for himself making money off of her for a change and not giving a shit if it ruined her career and status as the Queen of comedy with one bad decision. He wasn't executive producer, popooper was more like it, he was so full of the stuff. But his main purpose was achieved, to fatten his bank account.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL This isnt to relevant but its reminded me of a dream I had once where Lucy took the show round the world as a stage play and I went....

Yeah, i too would have killed to attend a show where she would have shown clips and taken questions from the audience and shared a few Lucy stories, Bette Davis and quite a few others did that at the end of their careers, Lucy could have also, she would have done great business.

I think I woke up screaming when he appeared ;)

How many of you are old enough to have watched it when it originally broadcast? I sure wasn't because I wasn't even conceived until 1988! My sister was still in my mom's belly. I'm sure I would've tried to contact ABC and beg them not to pull the plug. What did the critics say about the "Pilot?"

Poor Lucy, she deserved much better. And like I said before, it probably would've only lasted until 1988 or so because of her stroke. And then she died in 1989. One of my favorite quotes was Lucy tapping Curtis on his sunburned nose because he didn't bring her a gift from Hawaii.

:gale1: I hope I haven't hurt your feelings

:lucy2::angry::( "NOT . . . AT . . . ALL!" then her pouty face.

Margo: Mom might live here for 25 years and there's just a vague chance Dad might bump into her!

Ted: 25 YEARS?! MARGO DID YOU SAY 25 YEARS?

How many of you are old enough to have watched it when it originally broadcast? I sure wasn't because I wasn't even conceived until 1988! My sister was still in my mom's belly. I'm sure I would've tried to contact ABC and beg them not to pull the plug. What did the critics say about the "Pilot?"

Poor Lucy, she deserved much better. And like I said before, it probably would've only lasted until 1988 or so because of her stroke. And then she died in 1989.

Well..that's where I'd disagree with you: she was happiest and conceivably healthiest working regularly and I'm convinced that her poor heatlh was caused in large degree by over 50 years of heavy smoking (unfiltered, yet!), some drink -- she was no alcholic by any stretch but still....) and then enduring that heat shooting Stone Pillow and the aftermath, having to be hospitalized, etc., compounded by the devastation of being cancelled after production of only 13 episodes. Had the show run at least a full season, found it's "legs" and if possible, been given a better timeslot, I think she would have lived much longer and the show run at least 3 seasons.

But that's perhaps just wishful thinking on my part. We'll never know. :lucyblah:

Couldn't agree more Joey! I think she would have lived well into the 90's had it continued. She fell apart once it was cancelled and almost gave up, which in turn made her health "give up". Very sad indeed. Let's celebrate the 25 years of LWL and look at the positive side of things, that Lucy came back to our screens one last time, albeit short :(

Thanks, senor Brock, for one of the best banners you've ever created! :D

It takes me back to the summer of '86 and one of the highlights of my life! Despite how things turned out, it would be really, really difficult to give up those memories, that experience, that glorious evening when The First Lady of Television returned to her beloved "arena" and graced us with her perhaps "aged" but sage, inimitable talent....cue cards and all, stepped onto the stage and was welcomed back with sustained, gregarious, enthusiastic applause. What a night!

I will nevah forget it, ya know!?! :lucythrill:

Archived