Life With Lucy

Honey, i can still love ya to pieces but disagree with you totally on this. LWL was the last straw that broke Lucy's back. How can you say something like she enjoyed being at home, she never did, she lived for performing and that's all she cared about at the end as her kids were gone, her husband ruined what was left of her career and now she felt even her reputation was tainted or soiled.

Lucy loved her home life. Yes she loved loved loved performing, but she also loved balance.

She admitted many times that she wasn't a work-a-holic and enjoyed her home life, WHO WOULDN'T? IN BEVERLY HILLS? AS A MILLIONAIRE LOL

I think we keep mixing our emotions with what Lucy might have felt.

Her surroundings and reality was so far different than ours. We don't know of the life that she led behind the scenes to keep her motivated and encouraged.

I think it took her a while to come back from LWL and Desi's death, however, after some time, she did. She handled it, and being over 75 her body and heart

got tired and eventually she passed away.

I don't even think it was in her character to stop doing what she loved in her career.

After the stroke, she had an even more will to live and to enjoy, rather than going into hiding like many people had done.

Yes there were sad times, but I just wish to think that those weren't all of the times.

you KNOW I love you Claudy and i know we're just debating. I love it! I CERTAINLY see all of your points though, I like reading them, I just have a hard time believing them lol

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pictures can be deceiving too. Just because she smiled once in a while doesn't mean she was okay on the inside. Plenty of people with depression (myself included) smile and joke around once in a while. I too think LWL crushed Lucy pretty good, and maybe if that hadn't happened she would've lived a few more years. She really felt like she had nothing left to live for after that. She believed her career was done. Her kids were grown and gone, Desi Sr. died right around that time, and as for Gary...well, didn't some friends say they were having problems at the end, especially after LWL was cancelled?? There is such a thing as being so depressed it can kill you eventually. JMO.

True, i've suffered from depression for decades and agree with that.

Lucy loved her home life. Yes she loved loved loved performing, but she also loved balance.

She admitted many times that she wasn't a work-a-holic and enjoyed her home life, WHO WOULDN'T? IN BEVERLY HILLS? AS A MILLIONAIRE LOL

Her surroundings and reality was so far different than ours. We don't know of the life that she led behind the scenes to keep her motivated and encouraged.

I think it took her a while to come back from LWL and Desi's death, however, after some time, she did. She handled it, and being over 75 her body and heart

I don't even think it was in her character to stop doing what she loved in her career.

After the stroke, she had an even more will to live and to enjoy, rather than going into hiding like many people had done.

Yes there were sad times, but I just wish to think that those weren't all of the times.

you KNOW I love you Claudy and i know we're just debating. I love it! I CERTAINLY see all of your points though, I like reading them, I just have a hard time believing them lol

Living in Beverly Hills my ass, the life she was living she could have been in Poughkipsee. She was a simple woman, loving beans and franks and playing those stupid board games all the time. No wonder she yearned to have work to go to, LOL!

I do understand THAT and don't call me Shirley! :) I just mean there were other shows on the air at the time that were far worse! I just watched "World's Greatest Grandma" an unaird episode of LIFE WITH LUCY on youtube and I have to say, her recitation of "Sunrise Sunset" was very moving... She is a wonderful actress and if this show was given some time to adjust it would have found its footing and become great! I think Gary made a deal with ABC that LUCY would get ONE MILLION DOLLARS if ABC pulled the plug so he probably hoped the show would tank!

I love her recitation of Sunrise Sunset. It is so dramatic and touching. Lucy was a great actress and the show did need more time and a new timeslot. I hope this is released I would buy it. I love Mother of the Bride too. It is so touching, funny, and realistic.

I agree with you. Lucy was a fan of positive thinking and she received so much love and outpouring after LWL that she still felt loved. Yes there were problems but Lucy moved on. I think that LWL didn't hurt her as bad as Desi dying because she was outliving a lot of her friends. I feel that Lucy lived a good, happy, normal life full with problems but also many joys. I think Gary shouldn't be blamed because if Lucy didn't really love him she would have left him since she also left Desi due to problems but still loved him to the end of her life. Gary and Lucy's love was evident that after LWL they were seen happy together on Entertainment Tonight attending functions. I think Stone Pillow and filming the heat is what took the most toll on her as well as any lonliness that come from getting older and seeing loved ones die. I do agree that it took Lucy a while to get over LWL but I remember a quote saying Lucy was sadder for the cast than herself. I think the main problem with LWL was the writers. They wrote magic before but didn't keep up with the times and the public comparing an older Lucy to a younger one, which reminded them they were getting older.

I agree with you. Lucy was a fan of positive thinking and she received so much love and outpouring after LWL that she still felt loved. Yes there were problems but Lucy moved on. I think that LWL didn't hurt her as bad as Desi dying because she was outliving a lot of her friends. I feel that Lucy lived a good, happy, normal life full with problems but also many joys. I think Gary shouldn't be blamed because if Lucy didn't really love him she would have left him since she also left Desi due to problems but still loved him to the end of her life. Gary and Lucy's love was evident that after LWL they were seen happy together on Entertainment Tonight attending functions. I think Stone Pillow and filming the heat is what took the most toll on her as well as any lonliness that come from getting older and seeing loved ones die. I do agree that it took Lucy a while to get over LWL but I remember a quote saying Lucy was sadder for the cast than herself. I think the main problem with LWL was the writers. They wrote magic before but didn't keep up with the times and the public comparing an older Lucy to a younger one, which reminded them they were getting older.

But they say the writers wound up writing for Frasier, how could those writers write such crap here? Bob and Madelyn were producers or creators here, not writers per se.

Just, how distraught was she when she found out Desi died, and at the funeral and everything?

Also, I read what Lucie Arnaz wrote in "Love Lucy" and it said he passed just after midnight. I read somewhere else that Lucy was taping an episode of Password the next morning and she didn't find out until then--in between takes. I don't understand how her own daughter didn't call her at that moment in the middle of the night to tell her that the love of her life for (what would've been) 46 years, died.

Also, in 1989, what were her children's reactions to finding out their mother took an unexpected turn for the worse and went? They must have broke down right there after getting the call.

Poor Lucy, 1986 was not a good year for her. And I would've gave her love and support after her series got cancelled. I don't know who to agree with more--Lucypicturelover, or everyone else who thinks it was the cancellation of LWL that "killed" her. I mean there are things that have REALLY upset me, but I've learned to move on and I am still very happy and healthy. But I'm only 22--not 75.

Oh and she WAS happy and beaming during the 1989 Academy Awards. But then the next few weeks were her last and she seemed abstracted and depressed and then got admitted to the hospital.

Just, how distraught was she when she found out Desi died, and at the funeral and everything?

Also, I read what Lucie Arnaz wrote in "Love Lucy" and it said he passed just after midnight. I read somewhere else that Lucy was taping an episode of Password the next morning and she didn't find out until then--in between takes. I don't understand how her own daughter didn't call her at that moment in the middle of the night to tell her that the love of her life for (what would've been) 46 years, died.

Also, in 1989, what were her children's reactions to finding out their mother took an unexpected turn for the worse and went? They must have broke down right there after getting the call.

Poor Lucy, 1986 was not a good year for her. And I would've gave her love and support after her series got cancelled. I don't know who to agree with more--Lucypicturelover, or everyone else who thinks it was the cancellation of LWL that "killed" her. I mean there are things that have REALLY upset me, but I've learned to move on and I am still very happy and healthy. But I'm only 22--not 75.

Oh and she WAS happy and beaming during the 1989 Academy Awards. But then the next few weeks were her last and she seemed abstracted and depressed and then got admitted to the hospital.

Ched, Lucy was a pro, she never appeared depressed when she went out anywhere, she saved that for home, not sleeping well and getting up early and going with her dog in the garden trimming bushes and plants.

Even though Lucy appeared pretty stoic in public at Desi's funeral, privately, according to Lee Tannen and others she was grief-stricken and practically inconsolable when she learned of Desi's death. I would assume that Lucie would have called her mom and that Lucy knew of Desi's death prior to the Password taping. Perhaps Betty White was referencing that during the break of the show, Lucy was thinking about Desi's death and reflecting on the fact that it affected her even more than she thought it would. I think Betty said Lucy's words were something like, "I didn't think I'd get this upset. Damnit, there he goes," and she (Betty) called it a "lovely, private" moment.

Even though Lucy appeared pretty stoic in public at Desi's funeral, privately, according to Lee Tannen and others she was grief-stricken and practically inconsolable when she learned of Desi's death. I would assume that Lucie would have called her mom and that Lucy knew of Desi's death prior to the Password taping. Perhaps Betty White was referencing that during the break of the show, Lucy was thinking about Desi's death and reflecting on the fact that it affected her even more than she thought it would. I think Betty said Lucy's words were something like, "I didn't think I'd get this upset. Damnit, there he goes," and she (Betty) called it a "lovely, private" moment.

I gotta say, you have a great way with words and state things perfectly.

We were not there but others WERE! And read the books and see what they said about him, then maybe it'll wake you up to the the way things really were.

Yes, but there are contradictory accounts out there. One has to look at the whole picture and not just whatever account suits our fancy. Although Howard Rayfiel DOES tell some doozies! LOL

I disagree here as she gave up on life when she got cancelled for the very first time

Technically though it was the second time she got cancelled. Technically.

How can you say something like she enjoyed being at home, she never did, she lived for performing and that's all she cared about at the end as her kids were gone, her husband ruined what was left of her career and now she felt even her reputation was tainted or soiled.

Living in Beverly Hills my ass, the life she was living she could have been in Poughkipsee. She was a simple woman, loving beans and franks and playing those stupid board games all the time. No wonder she yearned to have work to go to, LOL!

Ched, Lucy was a pro, she never appeared depressed when she went out anywhere, she saved that for home, not sleeping well and getting up early and going with her dog in the garden trimming bushes and plants.

You make it sound like all Lucy did from 1974 - 1986 and from 1986 - 1989 was wallow around the house playing backgammon, feeling sorry for herself wondering why work wasn't being thrown her way. I can't think of any time (barring illness) when the woman didn't have SOME project or activity on the go. Take a look at this roundup of a few months of Lucy's life between 1980 and 1981 from the April 1981 edition of Celebrating Lucy:

busylucy.jpg

And remember, after LWL she still had projects and appearances coming out of her ears, tons of awards to collect, and gaggles of friends to fete.

I just discovered recently that the Super Password taping

Was in November. Desi was still alive. Lucy must have been referring to the fact that Desi was dying. I believe Betty's quote comes from the People Magazine tribute to Lucy. Betty must have been remembering incorrectly and, unfortunately, this version keeps getting repeated and repeated.

Was in November. Desi was still alive. Lucy must have been referring to the fact that Desi was dying. I believe Betty's quote comes from the People Magazine tribute to Lucy. Betty must have been remembering incorrectly and, unfortunately, this version keeps getting repeated and repeated.

Yeah, that's what i thought also, especially lately as Betty is saying she did not know that Lucy did not invent the three camera system like she always thought she had, she even mentionned this on the Hope Love affair with Lucy special, lately she's been correcting it to they adapted the three camera system for a comedy series.

Yes, but there are contradictory accounts out there. One has to look at the whole picture and not just whatever account suits our fancy. Although Howard Rayfiel DOES tell some doozies! LOL

YES, MY FAVORITE BOOK FOR ANTI GARY THINGS, FOR ONCE SOMEONE NOT AFRAID TO SAY THINGS OUT LOUD, INSTEAD OF BEHIND HIS BACK.

You make it sound like all Lucy did from 1974 - 1986 and from 1986 - 1989 was wallow around the house playing backgammon, feeling sorry for herself wondering why work wasn't being thrown her way. I can't think of any time (barring illness) when the woman didn't have SOME project or activity on the go. Take a look at this roundup of a few months of Lucy's life between 1980 and 1981 from the April 1981 edition of Celebrating Lucy:

busylucy.jpg

And remember, after LWL she still had projects and appearances coming out of her ears, tons of awards to collect, and gaggles of friends to fete.

I'm sorry Brock, but one Hope special per year and one award ceremony per year does not a busy person make. This woman used to work non stop, on her show, other people's shows, interviews, even running a studio, so working once a year on a Hope special made her feel nobody wanted her at the end and getting those awards only reminded her of when she was busy. I especially was saddened by that Edie Adams story of Lucy getting to a party and greeting another guest by saying YOU NOT WORKING EITHER HUH? Because Lucy always said no to Denise Minnelli parties with the excuse that people who attended were all out of work.

Ah! Thanks for clearing this up. I always thought Betty's timeline seemed a little "off." If the show was taped in November, Lucy's comments and Betty's story make a lot more sense.

• 1 month later...

A note on the 25th Anniversary of the Series Finale (on air) from tvseriesfinale.com:

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the end of Life with Lucy. It ended up being the last TV series that legendary comedienne Lucille Ball ever did. She long resisted returning to television, reasoning that she couldn’t top what she’d already done. It turned out that she was right.

Life with Lucy debuted on Saturday, September 20, 1986 and reunited Ball with her longtime co-star, Gale Gordon. In the new series, Ball plays a widowed grandmother named Lucille Barker who’d inherited her husband’s half-interest in a small Pasadena hardware store. The other half is owned by grumpy Curtis McGibbon (Gordon). While Curtis is away on vacation, his helper Leonard Stoner (Donovan Scott) becomes ill so silent-partner Lucy steps in and decides she likes being active in the business.

She’s also moved in with her daughter, Margo (Ann Dusenberry), and her husband Ted (Larry Anderson), who also happens to be Curtis’ son. They have two cute kids — played by Jenny Lewis and Philip J. Amelio II — and Lucy plans to help take care of them and ease the financial burden while Ted attends law school. After a disastrous week at the hardware store with Lucille, Curtis announces that he’s moving in because he doesn’t trust his grandchildren will be safe with her in the house.

ABC committed to a full season order without seeing a pilot. The ratings were positive for the first week but the critics savaged the show, viewers fled, and the numbers fell. Thirteen installments were produced but only eight aired before ABC pulled the plug. The last airing was on November 15, 1986.

In retrospect, it’s easy to see why the show failed. Written by I Love Lucy writers Bob Carroll Jr. and Madelyn Davis, the series seemed very quaint and dated, especially when compared to modern competitors like The Golden Girls. Tastes had changed and Ball couldn’t compete with memories of her younger self. It was the only time that one of her shows was cancelled.

SOURCE: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/life-with-lucy-last-episode-21415/

Couldn't agree more Joey! I think she would have lived well into the 90's had it continued. She fell apart once it was cancelled and almost gave up, which in turn made her health "give up". Very sad indeed. Let's celebrate the 25 years of LWL and look at the positive side of things, that Lucy came back to our screens one last time, albeit short :(

Yeah, I always believed the cancellation of Life With Lucy, just broke her heart.

Why? The other Lucy shows are bestsellers as far as I understand. This would only make sense. Plus they can play up its rarity, as it's so seldom seen, plus it's much shorter, so what, only two DVDs would do, probably? Can't wait to have a complete Lucy TV library.

I believe that considering MPI is completing Here's Lucy plus the Lucy Specials, I have to believe they'll follow up with Life With Lucy. Or maybe CBS will release it after finishing The Lucy Show.

Aaron Spelling ceded his rights to LWL to the Lucy Desi Museum a year or two before he died.

Saw the little girl on Golden Girls tonight, the one where she gets Betty's bear, and she acted much better which proves that it was the writing and directing that were mostly at fault with this show. Not necessarily the cast.

Archived