A question for the experts . . .

Whatever happened to all of them? We all know Bob and Madelyn went on to other shows which they even produced but what happened to her other writers over the decades . . . the other two Bobs went on to All in the Family and other shows, any others? Gary Marshall went on to become a famous comedy movie director . . .

Whatever happened to all of them? We all know Bob and Madelyn went on to other shows which they even produced but what happened to her other writers over the decades . . . the other two Bobs went on to All in the Family and other shows, any others? Gary Marshall went on to become a famous comedy movie director . . .

Bobs Schiller and Weiskopf were producers on Maude.

Fred S. Fox and Seaman Jacobs wrote for Bob Hope, among others.

I don't think Bob O'Brien had a regular writing job after Lucy, did he?

Milt Josefsberg worked on All in the Family and then the Garry Marshall shows (Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy)

Lou Derman and Larry Rhine also wrote for All in the Family.

Dick Chevillat was head writer on Green Acres.

Life with Lucy's Vic Rauseo and Linda Morris were writer/producers on Frasier.

Milt Josefsberg worked on All in the Family and then the Garry Marshall shows (Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy)

Oy vey, how on earth did they go from Life with Loosil to Frasier?????

Thanks for the info Harry. I was on one of the gay sites that was featuring something about MAME on Broadway and was surprised that it ended there just four years before the movie came out. But i was totally stunned to find out Gene Sachs was the director of the Broadway show, no wonder they picked HIM when George Cukor had to bow out due to the delay in filming because of Lucy's skiing accident.

Oy vey, how on earth did they go from Life with Loosil to Frasier?????

Well...they'd worked on Alice and Private Benjamin with Bob & Madelyn and did write couple of the better eps, my fave probably being the "Wacky Glue" episode, which featured perhaps her last great physical "bit" when she fixed the lounge chair and it went beserk. :D

Well...they'd worked on Alice and Private Benjamin with Bob & Madelyn and did write couple of the better eps, my fave probably being the "Wacky Glue" episode, which featured perhaps her last great physical "bit" when she fixed the lounge chair and it went beserk. :D

I thought that GLUE ep went nowhere but if it's the same one that had her in the chair run amuk, then you're right, that part was good.

Here's what I have in the chonology:

Lucy-Desi Museum News - The Newsletter for Museum Members Vol. 6, Issue 2 Winter 2006 Wildcat Co.- Lucy-Desi News Briefs - Bob O'Brien, birthdate unknown; comedy writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 3 episodes, 1954-58; The Lucy Show, 1964; and co-writer, Lucille Ball film, Fancy Pants. Tom Watson, Lucille Ball Fan Club President, salutes O'Brien: “Bob wrote Lucille's favorite episode, “Lucy & Dean Martin”. O'Brien is also responsible for episodes of the (“Here's Lucy”) television series and one of the writers of the 1980, TV Special, Lucy Moves to NBC, dies after a long illness this date in 2005.

Regards, JK

Here's what I have in the chonology:

Lucy-Desi Museum News - The Newsletter for Museum Members Vol. 6, Issue 2 Winter 2006 Wildcat Co.- Lucy-Desi News Briefs - Bob O'Brien, birthdate unknown; comedy writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 3 episodes, 1954-58; The Lucy Show, 1964; and co-writer, Lucille Ball film, Fancy Pants. Tom Watson, Lucille Ball Fan Club President, salutes O'Brien: “Bob wrote Lucille's favorite episode, “Lucy & Dean Martin”. O'Brien is also responsible for episodes of the (“Here's Lucy”) television series and one of the writers of the 1980, TV Special, Lucy Moves to NBC, dies after a long illness this date in 2005.

Regards, JK

Yeah, guess I blocked out that other stellar credit: he co-wrote LMTN with another comedy vet, Hal Kanter.

(I thought he also wrote TLBS where she goes to Vegas, but not sure off the top of my head.)

From the Dean Martin fave ep to LMTN....whoa! :lucydisgust:

Yeah, guess I blocked out that other stellar credit: he co-wrote LMTN with another comedy vet, Hal Kanter.

(I thought he also wrote TLBS where she goes to Vegas, but not sure off the top of my head.)

From the Dean Martin fave ep to LMTN....whoa! :lucydisgust:

Ah well, if the man wrote the greatest Lucy show E V E R , the one with Dean Martin, he is a genius comedy writer! Er W A S !

Ah well, if the man wrote the greatest Lucy show E V E R , the one with Dean Martin, he is a genius comedy writer! Er W A S !

This last entry has me intrigued; I had made the entry of his death [11/7/05], from the Center's Newsletter, as you can see, several years ago; so, went back in and found a birthdate, and further information on Bob O'Brien; patience, while I add the information and relay it here on the Lounge. You asked about 'things' AFTER Lucy; so, I'll include that, as well. JK

He also wrote "Lucy's Safari," so it wasn't that far a jump.

Yes, Bob O'Brien also wrote "Lucy Gets Lucky."

You've heard of three men and a baby? How about two winners and two losers, Lucy gets Lucky and the excallent Lucy dates dean Martin but he should be horsewhipped for safari and Lucy moves to NBC, LOL!

You've heard of three men and a baby? How about two winners and two losers, Lucy gets Lucky and the excallent Lucy dates dean Martin but he should be horsewhipped for safari and Lucy moves to NBC, LOL!

I think he also wrote my other fave TLS ep - Hollywood years and that was the Ruta Lee episode, The scene where she's the mod interior decorator is worth its weight in gold alone, not to mention the rest of the stellar episode. Can't wait till we get THAT one on DVD -- so used to it being chopped up, I wonder what we're missng??! :D

I think he also wrote my other fave TLS ep - Hollywood years and that was the Ruta Lee episode, The scene where she's the mod interior decorator is worth its weight in gold alone, not to mention the rest of the stellar episode. Can't wait till we get THAT one on DVD -- so used to it being chopped up, I wonder what we're missng??! :D

For me the best Ruta Lee ep is the one where Milton Berle gets the salad tossed on his head by Lucy, i can't believe Lucy actually left an ad lib by Milton onto the show, i love the way she snaps at him to stay in character but finally loses it herself also when the scene is finally finished, LOL! Wonder who wrote that one?

For me the best Ruta Lee ep is the one where Milton Berle gets the salad tossed on his head by Lucy, i can't believe Lucy actually left an ad lib by Milton onto the show, i love the way she snaps at him to stay in character but finally loses it herself also when the scene is finally finished, LOL! Wonder who wrote that one?

Bob O'Brien again.

I don't remember off hand but what I DO remember about that one is that it was one of the few, if only eps where the audience was either really goosed to applaud or was just so into it as every time anyone entered a scene, LB included, they burst into what seemed to be spontaneous applause. Now that's appreciation! (Would have loved to be at that filming! ;))

:lucyhaha:

I don't remember off hand but what I DO remember about that one is that it was one of the few, if only eps where the audience was either really goosed to applaud or was just so into it as every time anyone entered a scene, LB included, they burst into what seemed to be spontaneous applause. Now that's appreciation! (Would have loved to be at that filming! ;))

:lucyhaha:

Well, The Queen was working with The King, Ruta the movie star was a guest and the plot was terrific, even Mrs Berle was on there, so the audience was appreciative i guess. Remember that Lucy was winning Emmys, her show was at the top and she was the undisputed RULER of the TV medium.

This last entry has me intrigued; I had made the entry of his death [11/7/05], from the Center's Newsletter, as you can see, several years ago; so, went back in and found a birthdate, and further information on Bob O'Brien; patience, while I add the information and relay it here on the Lounge. You asked about 'things' AFTER Lucy; so, I'll include that, as well. JK

Here's what I found IMDb....

May 8 -

Robert (Bob) O'Brien, writer, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) film, The Lemon Drop Kid, 1951; screenplay, Lucille Ball film, Fancy Pants, 1950; writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Danny Thomas Show, 3 episodes, 1954-58; writer, Desilu Productions', New Comedy Showcase “Johnny Come Lately”, 1960; writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Frawley-starring series, My Three Sons “Robbie's Band”, 1961; writer, 42 episodes, The Lucy Show, 1964-68; writer, Lucy Gets Lucky, 1975; writer, Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; as well as writer, 8 episodes, (“Here's Lucy”), 1968-1974, is born this date in 1919.

Here's what I found IMDb....

May 8 -

Robert (Bob) O'Brien, writer, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) film, The Lemon Drop Kid, 1951; screenplay, Lucille Ball film, Fancy Pants, 1950; writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Danny Thomas Show, 3 episodes, 1954-58; writer, Desilu Productions', New Comedy Showcase “Johnny Come Lately”, 1960; writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Frawley-starring series, My Three Sons “Robbie's Band”, 1961; writer, 42 episodes, The Lucy Show, 1964-68; writer, Lucy Gets Lucky, 1975; writer, Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; as well as writer, 8 episodes, (“Here's Lucy”), 1968-1974, is born this date in 1919.

Geez, 50 episodes of both her series, amazing!

Well, The Queen was working with The King, Ruta the movie star was a guest and the plot was terrific, even Mrs Berle was on there, so the audience was appreciative i guess. Remember that Lucy was winning Emmys, her show was at the top and she was the undisputed RULER of the TV medium.

Well that's all true but it doesn't explain really one particular audience's almost (not quite!) "overkill" reaction to everything they saw before them that week, especially since it didn't happen most other times at that point.

Oh well....maybe they were sent from the future and thought they were at a Life WIth Lucy filming!

;)

:lucythrill:

Well that's all true but it doesn't explain really one particular audience's almost (not quite!) "overkill" reaction to everything they saw before them that week, especially since it didn't happen most other times at that point.

Oh well....maybe they were sent from the future and thought they were at a Life WIth Lucy filming!

;)

:lucythrill:

No, seriously, i think the audience got a kick out of two comedy giants working together and enjoyed a great show that was a laugh riot.

Archived