Frances Fisher vs. Rachel York

Mot Morenzi

They actually did put a lot of effort into the 2nd one at least. The producers have said on several occasions that if they hadn't found Rachel York, they would've been sunk. True, York may not have been a mirror image of Ball, but I found her performance commendable overall.

I give Frances Fisher a break considering the material she had to work with. Under different circumstances, I think she could've been a stellar Lucy! Maurice Benard....eh, not so much!

I agree. Frances Fisher is a terrific actress who was sunk by a laughably and offensively rotten script! She was a little old to be playing Lucy in the pre-"Lucy" years, but there are some shots where she looks amazingly like Lucy. I can't even begin to take Maurice Bernard's performance seriously. Most of the time I just want to burst out laughing! Like that scene when FF kicks him out of the house over the magazine article - "I sorry Lucy"...ay yi yi yi YI! :marionstrong:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They actually did put a lot of effort into the 2nd one at least. The producers have said on several occasions that if they hadn't found Rachel York, they would've been sunk. True, York may not have been a mirror image of Ball, but I found her performance commendable overall.

I give Frances Fisher a break considering the material she had to work with. Under different circumstances, I think she could've been a stellar Lucy! Maurice Benard....eh, not so much!

That is so true, BOTH actresses did very nice work in those terrible movies and Bernard, as much as i like him was just terrible here.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Meryl's a bit too old to play Lucy nowadays. I'm sorry, I do not see that happening.

I KNOW it will never happen but i thought if they had Meryl they would also have a decent script for that one. It was my dream or fantasy about a BIG SCREEN Lucy project, when i heard of Julia Roberts considered for a Lucy big screen movie i said the same things you guys are saying now. And she could have done it in soft focus a la Mame for the early years or could have been the older Lucy reminiscing about her life on the fascinating life she has led, one of the richest for material but not evidenced by the two movies we are talking about here.

I agree. Frances Fisher is a terrific actress who was sunk by a laughably and offensively rotten script! She was a little old to be playing Lucy in the pre-"Lucy" years, but there are some shots where she looks amazingly like Lucy. I can't even begin to take Maurice Bernard's performance seriously. Most of the time I just want to burst out laughing! Like that scene when FF kicks him out of the house over the magazine article - "I sorry Lucy"...ay yi yi yi YI! :marionstrong:

I know, his portrayal was definitely laughable. And yes, Frances looked so much like Lucy in some scenes and from certain angles. But even watching the great performer who DOES Lucy, we talk about her all the time and now i can't think of her name, in certain pictures you think it IS Lucy and other times, not so much.

MAYBE if the did a movie about Lucy's later years but we all know that will never happen since Lucy's life came to a screeching halt after I Love Lucy! :blink:

Yes, were they to focus on Lucy's later years, then I can see Streep taking a crack at it. However, they'll want to capitalize on the familiar (aka I Love Lucy), so the chances of that happening are slim.

But a film structured along the lines of the Jackie Gleason biopic (with the older Gleason being interviewed recalling his past), I could really see Streep doing.

I know, his portrayal was definitely laughable. And yes, Frances looked so much like Lucy in some scenes and from certain angles. But even watching the great performer who DOES Lucy, we talk about her all the time and now i can't think of her name, in certain pictures you think it IS Lucy and other times, not so much.

Suzanne LaRusch?

Suzanne LaRusch?

NOW YOUR TALKING.

I think both girls did a good job, BUT I totally dismissed Rachel York as playing Lucy.

She just didn't seem right for the part. Yes she played emotions very well, but that's what makes a good actor, not necessarily a good "Lucy"

I prefer Francis over Rachel and not only because of her looks- but because of her handling of the Lucille character she played.

She was tender, she was rough, but the bad one liners and corny dialogue casted a shadow over a lot of the performances, but

even the reenactments were well done. I can take the first Desi, but the second just seemed so out of place and so odd.

The ENTIRE new Lucy movie was a big fail to me- It did an ok job, but it wasn't as nearly believable as the first movie- that is cast wise.

NOW YOUR TALKING.

I think both girls did a good job, BUT I totally dismissed Rachel York as playing Lucy.

She just didn't seem right for the part. Yes she played emotions very well, but that's what makes a good actor, not necessarily a good "Lucy"

I prefer Francis over Rachel and not only because of her looks- but because of her handling of the Lucille character she played.

She was tender, she was rough, but the bad one liners and corny dialogue casted a shadow over a lot of the performances, but

even the reenactments were well done. I can take the first Desi, but the second just seemed so out of place and so odd.

The ENTIRE new Lucy movie was a big fail to me- It did an ok job, but it wasn't as nearly believable as the first movie- that is cast wise.

Oh i love your NEW Lucy montage at the bottom of your post, some great ones in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh :huh: I must have been so traumatized by seeing the first movie that I completely blocked out the second one! I literally have no memory of it! It's not like me to totally ignore a Lucy-related project, but I had no idea another bio had been filmed. Thanks for the Youtube promo. Proof!

Huh :huh: I must have been so traumatized by seeing the first movie that I completely blocked out the second one! I literally have no memory of it! It's not like me to totally ignore a Lucy-related project, but I had no idea another bio had been filmed. Thanks for the Youtube promo. Proof!

How on earth you could forget these two genuine masterpieces i'll never understand, LOL! Forty two Emmy nominations they got, a Pulitzer Prize and they made the list for AFI's best tv movies of all time. N O T !

I saw an Argentine film about Eva Peron that I think must've been inspired by Before the Laughter. It used the same corny flashback framing device. Painful!

Hey, where ya been Vivvy? I find the more the flashback thing is used, the more annoying it gets, and as it was used all through this one, that made me hate the movie.

Archived