I Love Lucy stage show goes on tour!

Brock

As per this press release:

The World Premiere of "I Love Lucy® Live on Stage"

>PRWEB.COM Newswire< div="">

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) August 29, 2011

Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel: America’s favorite foursome... live on stage and in color for the very first time! The world premiere of I Love Lucy® Live on Stage, a musical comedy tribute to one of the most popular television shows, opens at the Greenway Court Theatre on October 1. Click here to see the teaser video!

Travel back to the 1950s and the Desilu Studios where Rick Sparks directs the “filming” of two episodes of the iconic and beloved sitcom, complete with a television studio host and vintage-style live musical commercials. In addition to the classic comedy that takes place in Lucy and Ricky Ricardo’s New York apartment, musical director Wayne Moore conducts The Ricky Ricardo Orchestra live from the “Tropicana Nightclub.”

Sirena Irwin (previously directed by Sparks in Where’s My Money?), stars as Lucy Ricardo; Bill Mendieta (a member of L.A.’s prestigious Antaeus Company) is Ricky Ricardo; Bill Chott (a writer/performer on The Dana Carvey Show and Saturday Night Live cartoons with Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell) plays Fred Mertz; and Lisa Joffrey (the Rick Sparks-directed Dead Bride Running) is Ethel Mertz. Also featured in the cast, playing multiple roles, are Noel Britton, Tom Christensen, Steven Connor, Gregory Franklin, Ed Martin, Denise Moses, Cindy Sciacca, Amy Tolsky, Gina Torrecilla and Mark Christopher Tracy.

“There will never be another television character like Lucy Ricardo,” acknowledges Sparks. “We recognize that there was only one original cast, so we’re not going to attempt any impersonation of their immense talents. Our task is to send a valentine to the unforgettable residents of 623 E 68th Street, as well as to the fresh style and commercial awakening of early 1950s television. Our plan is to honor and celebrate this iconic show, and that experience will begin the moment audiences step onto the sidewalk in front of the theater.”

This fall marks the 60th anniversary of I Love Lucy, which aired its first episode on October 15, 1951, and went on to become an American institution. It established the sitcom as TV's dominant genre, pioneering the production of TV shows on film in front of a live audience. All 179 episodes still air regularly in the U.S.

I Love Lucy® Live on Stage is staged and directed by Rick Sparks. The stage adaption and additional new material are by Kim Flagg and Rick Sparks. Set design is by Aaron Henderson; lighting design is by Jeremy Pivnick; sound design is by Cricket S. Myers; costume design is by Shon LeBlanc; wigs and hair are by Byron Batista; and the production stage manager is Justine Baldwin. I Love Lucy® Live on Stage is presented by S. Kahn Presents and Millrock Company. Hyra George and Kim Flagg produce, and executive producers are David George and Stephen Kahn.

Rick Sparks (Director, Co-Adaptor) is the winner of 16 Los Angeles theater awards. He most recently directed the Ovation-recommended Daddy at the Hudson Mainstage and Trio at Lounge 2. Rick's other directing credits include the long running Divorce! The Musical; the critically acclaimed L.A. premiere of Psycho Beach Party by Charles Busch; his own multiple award-winning adaptation and staging of They Shoot Horses, Don't They?; a rock 'n roll adaptation of A Clockwork Orange; Down South, which moved to New York after a long L.A. run; The Nothing Boys (produced by TV's 'Entourage' producer Rob Weiss); Laguna Playhouse's West Coast premiere of Don't Talk to the Actors; the Colony Theater's critically acclaimed production of Clutter; and the West Coast premiere of John Patrick Shanley's Where's My Money?

Kim Flagg (Co-Adaptor) is currently writing on ABC’s new 2011 fall comedy Last Man Standing. Kim was a writer and story editor for the Tim Allen series Home Improvement. She has collaborated with Allen for fifteen years as his ghostwriter, head comedy writer, speechwriter and creative design director, developing and writing a wide array of material for his stand-up comedy, award show appearances, comedy concerts, public engagements, hosting events, and talk show appearances including The Tonight Show, Letterman, Regis, Rosie, Oprah and The Montreal Comedy Festival. She collaborated with Allen on his two books, “Don’t Stand Too Close to a Naked Man” and “I’m Not Really Here,” developed two sitcom pilots while heading up the television development for his company, Boxing Cat Productions, and is credited with writing the ABC primetime live special The User’s Guide to Home Improvement and the 8th annual TV Land Awards. Kim has done punch-up writing for several feature films and has been published in numerous magazines. She co-wrote, directed and produced Life on Mars, a one-man musical comedy that was performed at the HBO Work Space in Los Angeles, and most recently co-developed a one-man show for Mr. Allen, currently running in Vegas.

Executive producers David George and Steve Kahn created the “I Love Lucy 50th Anniversary Experience” in 2001, for which they toured full-size, exact replicas of the original I Love Lucy sets, complete with props and other memorabilia, to venues across the U.S. for over two years. Viewed by millions, it was the largest collection of I Love Lucy material ever assembled, and is now housed in the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnez Center in Jamestown, NY.

With I Love Lucy® Live on Stage, the Greenway Arts Alliance continues its rich tradition of providing the greater Los Angeles community with excellence in professional theatrical programming. The Greenway mission is to unite the community through art, education and enterprise. A true innovator, Greenway has created a world class model of how a non-profit arts organization can partner with a public high school, providing unmatched opportunities and support for both professional artists and students alike.

I Love Lucy® Live on Stage opens for press on October 1 and continues through December 30. Performances take place Fridays @ 8 pm; Saturdays @ 3 pm & 8 pm; and Sundays @ 7 pm. There will be four preview performances on Saturday, September 24 @ 8 pm; Sunday, September 25 @ 7 pm; Thursday, September 29 @ 8 pm and Friday, September 30 @ 8 pm. All tickets are $34. The Greenway Court Theatre is located at 544 N. Fairfax Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90036. To purchase tickets, call 800-595-4TIX (800-595-4849) or go to http://www.ilovelucylive.com.'>http://www.ilovelucylive.com. Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ILoveLucyLiveOnStage.

Details for Calendar Listings

I Love Lucy® Live On Stage

WHAT:

I Love Lucy® Live on Stage – The world premiere of a musical comedy tribute to the most popular and longest-running television show in history. Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel: America’s favorite foursome... live on stage and in color for the very first time! Travel back to the 1950s and the Desilu Studios to watch the “filming” of two episodes of the iconic and beloved sitcom, I Love Lucy. Enjoy vintage-style live musical commercials and be entertained by the music of the ‘Ricky Ricardo Orchestra’ live. Ba-ba-luuuuuu!

WHO:

Staged and Directed by Rick Sparks

Musical Director Wayne Moore

Starring Sirena Irwin as Lucy Ricardo; Bill Mendieta as Ricky Ricardo,

Bill Chott as Fred Mertz and Lisa Joffrey as Ethel Mertz

Also featuring Noel Britton, Tom Christensen, Steven Connor,

Gregory Franklin, Ed Martin, Denise Moses, Cindy Sciacca,

Amy Tolsky, Gina Torrecilla, Mark Christopher Tracy

Adapted for the stage and new material by Kim Flagg and Rick Sparks

Presented by S. Kahn Presents and Millrock Company

Produced by Hyra George and Kim Flagg

Executive Producers David George and Stephen Kahn

WHEN:

Previews: September 24, 25, 29, 30

Performances: October 1-December 30

Fridays @ 8 pm

Saturdays @ 3 pm & 8 pm

Sundays @ 7 pm

WHERE:

Greenway Court Theatre

544 N. Fairfax Ave.

Los Angeles CA 90036

HOW:

800-595-4TIX (800-595-4849) or http://www.ilovelucylive.com

Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ILoveLucyLiveOnStage.

TICKETS:

$34

###

<>

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/404011#ixzz1WRjJLCEQ

Hell naw, they need to bring it to Las Vegas, Denver, or Minneapolis, cuz they'd never bring it to my podunk state, but at least those places are close to where I live. New York is too far away from me. lol

BUT, doesn't New York and STAGE SHOW go together like Lucy and Desi? :lucythrill:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a photo and video from the stage show:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/the-scene/events/I-Love-Lucy-Live-130674683.html

It looks like one of the episodes they're doing is "Lucy Has Her Eyes Examined"...

I liked the teaser! This actually looks like it's pretty well done. Definitely saw lots of bits from "Lucy Has Her Eyes Examined"...one of my favorites! Too bad I live in New York!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like Mr. Ricardo at the Tropicana, I Love Lucy on Stage has been held over! It must be gaining quite a following.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) November 22, 2011

Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel are set to return to the Greenway Court Theatre in 2012. I Love Lucy® Live on Stage has extended its run for an additional seven weeks of performances through February 26.

I Love Lucy® Live on Stage has been the “must-see” musical comedy in Los Angeles since it opened on October 1 to rave reviews. Audiences travel back to the 1950s and the Desilu Studios to watch the “filming” of two episodes of the iconic and beloved sitcom, complete with a television studio host, vintage-style live musical commercials, and The Ricky Ricardo Orchestra playing live from the “Tropicana Nightclub.”

The I Love Lucy® Live on Stage facebook page has nearly 6,000 friends, and fans have traveled to see the show from Florida, Chicago, New York, Colorado, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico, Canada, England, France, Germany, Italy, Australia and even Kuala Lampur, Malasia. No one leaves disappointed. “Most entertaining stage production I've seen in years - including Broadway!” said TV Guide columnist William Keck. “The period sets, dialogue, and costumes contribute to a fun, throwback atmosphere, but this fizzing production almost entirely turns on the cast,” wrote Tanner Stransky in Entertainment Weekly. Flavorpill raves, “make it easy to love Lucy once again,” and the LA Weekly says, “GO! Rick Sparks' terrific cast channels [Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel] with charm, intelligence and energy in this fun-filled musical comedy.” The production, which features a 13-member cast in addition to a 7-piece band, will graduate from Actors’ Equity 99-seat plan to a HAT (Hollywood Area Theater) contract beginning with its 61st performance on December 14.

I Love Lucy® Live on Stage stars Sirena Irwin (Lucy), Bill Mendieta (Ricky), Bill Chott (Fred) and Lisa Joffrey (Ethel). Also featured in the cast, playing multiple roles, are Tom Christensen, Steven Connor, Gregory Franklin, Kerri-Anne Lavin, Ed Martin, Denise Moses, Cindy Sciacca, Amy Tolsky, Gina Torrecilla and Mark Christopher Tracy. Direction and staging are by Rick Sparks. The stage adaption and additional new material are by Kim Flagg and Rick Sparks. Set design is by Aaron Henderson; lighting design is by Jeremy Pivnick; sound design is by Cricket S. Myers; costume design is by Shon LeBlanc; and the production stage manager is Justine Baldwin. I Love Lucy® Live on Stage is presented by S. Kahn Presents and Millrock Company. Hyra George and Kim Flagg produce, and executive producers are David George and Stephen Kahn.

Performances of I Love Lucy® Live on Stage take place Wednesday, Thursdays, and Fridays @ 8 pm, Saturdays @ 3 pm & 8 pm, and Sundays @ 7 pm through February 26 (dark Dec. 21-25 and Dec. 31-Jan. 10). Tickets are $45. The Greenway Court Theatre is located at 544 N. Fairfax Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90036. To purchase tickets, call 800-595-4TIX (800-595-4849) or go to http://www.ilovelucylive.com.'>http://www.ilovelucylive.com. Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ILoveLucyLiveOnStage.

Details for Calendar Listings

I Love Lucy® Live On Stage

WHAT:

I Love Lucy® Live on Stage – Extended through February 26. The world premiere of a musical comedy tribute to the most popular and longest-running television show in history. Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel: America’s favorite foursome... live on stage and in color for the very first time! Travel back to the 1950s and the Desilu Studios to watch the “filming” of two episodes of the iconic and beloved sitcom, I Love Lucy. Enjoy vintage-style live musical commercials and be entertained by the music of the ‘Ricky Ricardo Orchestra’ live. Ba-ba-luuuuuu!

WHO:

Staged and Directed by Rick Sparks

Musical Director Wayne Moore

Starring Sirena Irwin as Lucy Ricardo; Bill Mendieta as Ricky Ricardo, Bill Chott as Fred Mertz and Lisa Joffrey as Ethel Mertz

Also featuring Tom Christensen, Steven Connor, Gregory Franklin, Kerri-Anne Lavin¸ Ed Martin, Denise Moses,Cindy Sciacca, Amy Tolsky, Gina Torrecilla, Mark Christopher Tracy

Adapted for the stage and new material by Kim Flagg and Rick Sparks

Presented by S. Kahn Presents and Millrock Company

Produced by Hyra George and Kim Flagg

Executive Producers David George and Stephen Kahn

WHEN:

Continues through February 26

Wednesdays @ 8 pm: Nov. 23, 30; Dec. 14, 28; Jan. 11, 18, 25; Feb. 8, 15, 22 (Dark: Dec. 7, 21; Jan. 4; Feb 1)

Thursdays @ 8pm: Dec.1, 8, 15, 29; Jan. 12, 19, 26; Feb. 2, 9, 16, 23 (Dark: Nov. 24; Dec. 22; Jan. 5)

Fridays @ 8 pm: Nov. 25; Dec. 2, 9, 16, 30; Jan. 13, 20, 27; Feb. 3, 10. 17, 24 (Dark: Dec, 23; Jan. 6)

Saturdays @ 3 pm & 8 pm: Nov. 26; Dec. 3, 10, 17; Jan. 14, 21, 28; Feb. 4, 11, 18, 25 (Dark: Dec. 24, 31; Jan 7)

Sundays @ 7 pm: Nov. 27; Dec. 4, 11, 18; Jan. 15, 22, 29; Feb. 5, 12, 19, 26

(Dark: Dec. 25; Jan 1, 8)

WHERE:

Greenway Court Theatre

544 N. Fairfax Ave.

Los Angeles CA 90036

HOW:

800-595-4TIX (800-595-4849) or http://www.ilovelucylive.com

Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ILoveLucyLiveOnStage.

TICKETS:

$45

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/500100#ixzz1eXm2hkTC

• 2 weeks later...

Archived