Lucy rumours & stories - true or false?

Caewi

Hopefully, one day, we wil get AWAY FROM THIS 'STUFF' - no need to keep it UP FRONT AND PERSONAL.... 

And, you are ALL probably just guessing; since it is all behind ALL of us....

Lucille had to live with her own 'stuff' - as WE ALL DO!!!!  She, in a word, MADE IT GOOD - how many of US can say the same?  She overcame her demons and publicly did it well!

That [STUFF] is something for the local (here) GOSSIP TRAIN, which should stop (here)  - and will when Celoron gossip (yes, there remains one) dies.  Just so you realize, this 'person' (can't really call her human) - lived in MY NEIGHBORHOOD when I was a tot and growing up; so, I know, gossiped about EVERYONE [all on this Lounge should know she has some STUFF that could be talked about of her own to hide; but, none of us wants to stoop to HER LEVEL!!!!]  - SHE STILL gossips about everyone!!!! [and she is approaching +90 her own self!!!!]

Lucille loved (as a friend; but, called him her 'boyfriend') and, he was this woman's (above) father when she was a younger-than-teenager, growing up in Celoron; when he was an unmaried pre-teen himself!!.  HE was a good person; a popular Celoron young man; and had a couple of 'other' nice children, - ones I grew up with - except for this woman, his daughter.  He died many years before Lucille, or would probably have killed his own child if he knew what stuff she puts out there.  That's just my guess. 

Let's try to, PLEASE???, steer ourselves AWAY from this STUFF from now on.....  Rrespectfully submitted, JK

This woman wouldn't happen to be related to a tour guide at one of the museums there in Jamestown, would she?  LOL.  The guide who took us on a tour of the cemetery was spreading this gossip too, even going so far as reiterating the rumor that Lucy had had an abortion or she'd gone to an unwed mother's home to give birth and gave the baby up for adoption or the baby wasn't born "right" (meaning mentally retarded or something) and died in an institution.  But I couldn't believe this woman was telling the tourists this, some of them little kids, and one little girl in front of us turned to her mom and asked, "What's an abortion?"  Very tacky and awkward.  So I can see what you're saying about the Jamestown and Celoron gossips.  It's still alive today more than 80 years after the fact.  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucy did not have an abortion, she instead put up the baby for adoption and this KING family took him in as their own and today, all these decades later, Larry King, still won't tell the world about his mom, Lucille.  And he never had her on his show so as to not have the truth come out.  Regardless, Lucy never forgot him and every birthday and Christmas would send him some gift suspenders that he wore proudly knowing where they came from, his beloved MAH.  

No relation to 'tour guide'; the woman I refer to is the now nearly 95-year-old daughter of one of Celoron male youngsters Lucille was friends with in their pre- and teen years. 

As to the last cuppla 'ideas', hogwash; like Marion, I take it with me to the other world, though there were several in the Museum/Gift Shop employ who talked about it during the 5 years I was there.....   A LOT!!!

No relation to 'tour guide'; the woman I refer to is the now nearly 95-year-old daughter of one of Celoron male youngsters Lucille was friends with in their pre- and teen years. 

As to the last cuppla 'ideas', hogwash; like Marion, I take it with me to the other world, though there were several in the Museum/Gift Shop employ who talked about it during the 5 years I was there.....   A LOT!!!

Well, be prepared, BECAUSE when YOU get to that other world, i'll be bugging you to hear everything you knew.

Well, be prepared, BECAUSE when YOU get to that other world, i'll be bugging you to hear everything you knew.

Let's make a pact, then; when one or the other of us, or both, get there; I'll get Lucille herself to give you the true word(s)!!!!

tee hee..............Loving you, JK

Angela Lansbury's two children did have big drug problems during this era. Lansbury's daughter was also involved with the Manson family. When their home was destroyed by a fire, Angela decided to move her family to Ireland to straighten out her children. When Lucy was asked why Angela Lansbury was not doing the movie of Mame, Lucy said Angela was not interested. She had moved to Ireland and was taking care of her son who was ill. Lucy did not specify drugs. It would have been undiplomatic if Lucy told the truth: Warner Bros. would never have made the picture with Angela Lansbury.

Oh wow, thanks for that Harry, loved every word of your comments.

Great info. She seemed to be quite focused on death as a solution throughout her life, hopefully just an impulsive, young flight of ideas. Here's a new one to add to the fray, did Desi and Edie nearly get a divorce? I've found two newspaper articles (from the 70's) that made brief mention of it in there gossip columns. Other than, I haven't turned up anything. I can't find much on Edie's marriage or how happy she was. Any info or confirmation of this rumour would be great. Thanks all.

Desi and Edie were separated for a time around 1974. Marcella Rabwin said that it was hard for Edie to deal with Desi's health problems. I don't know if that was the major cause of their separation.

Things obviously worked out in the end as they had eleven more years together after that,

Thanks for the information Harry.  I thought it was then too.  The 2 newspapers articles I have come across make a passing reference to a divorce and so does the Desilu book.  Just speculating here as to health problems being the reported hospital stays or wondering if that alludes to addiction problems (not that the effects of that wasn’t causing the health issues).   I believe this first article clipping could be from around this time. Also there is the story that Lucy chartered a plane to fly from Snow Mass with her broken leg to keep him company in the hospital when Desi was in with a bad cold. 

I’m always fascinated with anything Edie.  Just got this (second clipping below) from1977 during the book tour.   A more detailed description of how they first met.  In the book article he says she was a cigarette girl and in his Another Book letter he says it was at Santa Anita 25 years before he married her.  I didn’t even know he was in CA in 1937.  

cleardot.gif
untitled.JPG

reading%20eagle.JPG

I love those clippings.  How open and honest they are and witty too.  I love how they all got along together and you can see here again their love lasted despite a divorce. 

Yeah, that is one terrific article and both Lucy and Desi would write exactly the way they spoke.  They were real genuine people, flawed like the rest of us but special in the way they lived their lives, enjoying every minute of their success and loving their family and friends and all the other things one is supposed to do in life.

2. During LWL while Desi was dying, he called her nightly in a delirium and begged her for her forgiveness for his cheating. This as published on a website that seemed associated with Michael Stern. I know that Lucy has a tough time as he was dying but this is extreme. I'd love someone to be able to confirm or deny.

I think there was remorse on his part at this time and I think I had heard he expressed this. I also heard about him doing a similar thing around the time the book came out. As for calling nightly I have no idea. What I do know confirmed by Stu on one of his shows is that during Life With Lucy’s continuing failure she called him frequently for advise on how to fix the show. I’d have to go back and check Mike’s book to see if anything is mentioned about this, but offhand I don’t recall that it is.

I just read a discussion board it have poster claiming to have worked on life with lucy. The poet was quite relevant and interesting:

The saddest story I can remember: one particular week, Lucy looked real haggard in dailies, and I asked the editor what was going on. He sighed and told me that Desi Arnaz was dying of throat cancer at his house in Palm Springs and was calling her every night in a delirium, begging forgiveness for his years of cheating, and crying on the phone. Despite Lucy being married to Gary Morton, she still had affection for Desi, and comforted him as best she could... at the expense of her own sleep. The results didn't help her performance. But it shows what a trouper she was to at least try to keep the show going. Desi died in December of '86, I think just a few months after Life with Lucy was cancelled.

More evidence that the calls were regular and quite sad :( that must have been very hard for her

I just read a discussion board it have poster claiming to have worked on life with lucy. The poet was quite relevant and interesting:

The saddest story I can remember: one particular week, Lucy looked real haggard in dailies, and I asked the editor what was going on. He sighed and told me that Desi Arnaz was dying of throat cancer at his house in Palm Springs and was calling her every night in a delirium, begging forgiveness for his years of cheating, and crying on the phone. Despite Lucy being married to Gary Morton, she still had affection for Desi, and comforted him as best she could... at the expense of her own sleep. The results didn't help her performance. But it shows what a trouper she was to at least try to keep the show going. Desi died in December of '86, I think just a few months after Life with Lucy was cancelled.

More evidence that the calls were regular and quite sad :( that must have been very hard for her

Yeah, no kidding, although i had read that before, it still is a stunning example of their deep love for each other, sad, so damned sad.

Wow thanks every one for the wonderful info on Desi and Edie. I had no idea an actual separation had occurred. I assumed the papers were rumours so that's a shock. I wonder if the timing is related to his book and some particularly strong declarations of love for lucy around this time. A couple of articles, books and TV appearances around this time might have brought it home and added to simmering tensions. Edie is just so clouded in mystery, I wish we knew more.

Here's a new one. On a Dick Cavett interview in 1974, Lucy appears to mention that she had enjoyed gambling in Havana. Doers this mean she's actually gone to Cuba? I've never heard anything like this before and would love to know if she's been or meant something else by that comment?

Here's a new one. On a Dick Cavett interview in 1974, Lucy appears to mention that she had enjoyed gambling in Havana. Doers this mean she's actually gone to Cuba? I've never heard anything like this before and would love to know if she's been or meant something else by that comment?

I think Lucy might have gone to Cuba with Desi many times when they were young marrieds, the revolution and all only happened in '59.

I think Lucy might have gone to Cuba with Desi many times when they were young marrieds, the revolution and all only happened in '59.

I was under the impression that Desi himself had never gone back? I hope they did together, no doubt it would have meant a lot to their families. I'm reasonably sure that Lucie confirmed she had never been in the Archive interview.

In his book Desi talks about one trip back in the early 40s. I’m not sure if he was in the Army yet or if it was pre-army, but I think it involved a trip to Guantanamo. While there he had someone fly him back to his hometown and he met up with some uncles, cousins, etc…

I once heard Lucie mention that for the ILL 50th anniversary special her and her brother were going to go to her dad’s hometown and feature it the same way they did Jamestown. She said they had the visas but then 9/11 happened and the trip got scrapped. I wonder now with the recent news of relaxed travel to the country if they would eventually make the trip.

Archived