Audrey Meadows

OK Audrey Meadows is best known today as Alice Kramden in the various Honeymooners incarnations. But she also guested on LIFE WITH LUCY playing Lucy's sister. I'm curious as to the rumours that surrounded the making of the episode - there was some serious disagreements or arguements. Can anyone shed any light on this or is it still hush-hush.

I've heard there were some hurt feelings between Lucy and Audrey during that time, but I don't know over what it had to do with. Jayne Meadows made some cryptic comment about Lucy and Audrey too, something like "what happened between them I'll never divulge." Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Everyone who worked on the show said there was no problem between Audrey and Lucy during this show. I believe the only moment where there was any kind of incident was during dress rehearsal. Audrey was already in full makeup for the show and when they rehearsed the cake fight scene, Lucy got frosting all over Audrey's face. Lucy realized that Audrey would have to be made up again and felt terrible. There might be people here who were there at the time who could shed more light on all this. Audrey was one of the people Lucy invited to see Lucie perform on one of Lucy's last nights on the town in March 1989, so they must have remained friends. Audrey also was part of Lucy's memorial picnic. I don't think they knew each other well prior to the Life with Lucy episode. I really don't believe there were any problems.

Everyone who worked on the show said there was no problem between Audrey and Lucy during this show. I believe the only moment where there was any kind of incident was during dress rehearsal. Audrey was already in full makeup for the show and when they rehearsed the cake fight scene, Lucy got frosting all over Audrey's face. Lucy realized that Audrey would have to be made up again and felt terrible. There might be people here who were there at the time who could shed more light on all this. Audrey was one of the people Lucy invited to see Lucie perform on one of Lucy's last nights on the town in March 1989, so they must have remained friends. Audrey also was part of Lucy's memorial picnic. I don't think they knew each other well prior to the Life with Lucy episode. I really don't believe there were any problems.

But can you SPLAIN Jayne's comment about something deep down in their relationship that Audrey took to her grave?

I've brought this up before but there are those out there who want to make Lucy out to be difficult. And then there are those who accept what they say without considering they may have had an ax to grind. (In fact, I'm surprised there was any blade left on Herbert Kenwith's ax..)

If you read Jayne's comments about "Stops a Marriage" she mentions that Lucie Arnaz had more of a sense of humor and would explain to a skeptical Lucy what was funny about the script. Jayne seems to be indicating that Lucy couldn't tell what was funny. But Lucy was right to be leery of this crummy script. There's very little funny in "Marriage".

Really? I thought the Allens were good friends with Lucy. Hmm.

No, definitely NOT. Stevie was someone who thought he was so much better than he actually was and Jayne got all offended when she appeared on the Here's Lucy filmed right after the Burtons and the budget was small for hers as they spent everything on the Burton one, well, was she supposed to be this great actress or something? Audrey made a splash in the business, Jayne never did. She did however tell this great story of her going on a trip to the place she was born, CHINA, and seeing people on the roads all huddled in front of TV sets and laughing uproariously and she finally stopped to see what they were doing, and of course, they were watching Lucy.

Can't say I know Jayne Meadows from ANYTHING as her name is unfamiliar espcially here in the UK, but I couldn't put a face to it, and couldn't link a performance to her. Maybe she was peeved at Audrey being more famous than her thanks to the Honeymooners and possibly invented a story about Audrey/Lucy. :lucyhorror:

Have been recently watching the MPI color Honeymooner sets, and Audrey's replacement - Sheila Macrae is terrible as Alice, awful actress bawling out each line. Very unconvincing. Audrey was so much better. Hope MPI does release the final Honeymooners special from the 70s with Gale Gordon (I did email them last week, but no reply)

Can't say I know Jayne Meadows from ANYTHING as her name is unfamiliar espcially here in the UK, but I couldn't put a face to it, and couldn't link a performance to her. Maybe she was peeved at Audrey being more famous than her thanks to the Honeymooners and possibly invented a story about Audrey/Lucy. :lucyhorror:

Jayne replaced one of the regular panelists on one game show one time where either Lucy Desi or both was on there. She did some variety shows and talk shows too. BUT, she was NEVER in the same league as gifted actress Audrey.

Archived