NAME THAT BOOK COMPETITION

leenorman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your "Looking Back" idea, JK, & have one suggestion. Consider including Lucy's name somewhere in the title for easier recognition that it is about her. This just came to me: "The Lucy Chronicles: Dates, Places & Other Famous Faces".

I've been trying to think of a snappy 'come-back' for this 'hi-lighted' suggestion; and all, so far, have been set aside in my mind; since, don't you think that with Lucille's picture on the cover, maybe the artist's shot of her I want (looking over her shoulder, by LaMarr - are you listening, LaMarr?), as in 'looking back' would be enough without her name included in the title? since she is, without doubt, the most-pictured woman in the world for over 70, or so, years? Also love the 'dates, places, and other famous faces' idea.... we're getting 'closer' Thanks to ALL for your input; it's been a journey; and hope we can all enjoy it one day....SOON! Regards, JK

OMG, i just love that LOOKING BACK idea!

Nice touch, Claude! I like it!

Well, seeing as Lucy was famous for sending everybody gifts of watches and clocks and the like with inscriptions like LOVED SPENDING TIME WITH YOU or I'LL ALWAYS HAVE TIME FOR YOU which she had enscribed on the watch she gave her hairdresser, maybe TIME should be in the title. Spending time with Lucy. Lucy all the time. Geez, there are so many possibilities.

Playing off of Lucyilove's idea of Life With Lucy 365, maybe a simpler yet blunt version: Lucy: 365

SORRY...........366

You are forgetting Leap Year, making a 366th day! Here, to refresh your memory, is what I have for THAT day! I MAY have taken some 'researcher's license' on a couple of dates I wasn't entirely sure about in articles' publication(s), for instance; BUT..... Regards, JK

February 29

Dinah Shore, leap-year baby, guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy, 2 episodes, 1957-58; Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucy”) “Someone’s on The Ski Lift With Dinah”, 1971; with Desi Arnaz, IV, Salute to Oscar Hammerstein II, 1972; with Lucille and Desi Arnaz IV, on TV-The Fabulous Fifties, 1978; with Lucille, Desi, IV, and Keith Thibodeaux (“I Love Lucy” Little Ricky) guest on The Dinah Shore Chevy Show, 1960, as well as Dinah! 1974 & 1975, in a rare interview ‘appearance’, with Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) making ‘visit’ to both Dinah and Lucille; with Lucille, again in 1976 and 1977 on Dinah!; with Lucille, The Bob Hope American Youth Awards, 1979; with Lucille, co-hostess, The 33rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1981; with Lucille, and others, Bob Hope Special: Women I Love: Beautiful, But Funny, 1982, with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille; Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, with Lucille, NBC’s Happy Birthday, Bob (Hope’s 85th birthday and his 50th Anniversary with NBC), 1988; with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, as well as with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, is born this date in 1916.

Arthur Franz, leap-year baby, appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Red Light, 1949, and Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man, 1951; as well as guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America “No Greater Love”, 1952, and “Date with a Stranger”, 1956; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Bing Crosby Show, “The Gifted Child”, and Slattery's People “Question: What Did You Do Al Day, Mr. Slattery?”, 1965, is born this date in 1920.

Lucille Ball, after Room Service with the Marx Brothers, outdoes herself in radio during February, when she begins appearing in Jack Haley’s weekly CBS’ show. Lucille also makes appearances on Phil Baker’s Radio Show, and Variety observes: “Her material was only so-so; but, her timing and knock-em-dead emphasis italicized humor . . .” is published in 1938.

NY Times, Jack Gould: “’I Love Lucy’ is probably the most misleading title imaginable. For once, all available statistics are in agreement: Millions love Lucy,” published in February 1953.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears on Calvin Company's Better Football, Robert Altman, Director and Writer, in 1954.

Lucille Ball, residing in NYC, Hampshire House, during February; personally invited to see Bob Fosse’s Wildcat; is introduced as part of the audience, in 1959.

Frank Albertson, b. 2/2; Lucille Ball/Richard Denning, CBS' radio co-star, My Favorite Husband, 1948; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1935; Lucille early film-career co-star, 1936, 1938; guest, Desilu Productions', Official Detective, 1957; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1959; Desilu Productions’, The Californians, 1959; with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Deputy, 1959, as well as Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1960, dies this date in 1964.

Lucille Ball flies to Miami, Florida, to speak with Jackie Gleason regarding their doing a movie together - an excuse to get away, due to her hesitancy in making a decision about signing the papers necessary for a shareholder vote to sell Desilu, in late February 1967.

Lucie Arnaz played the starring role in Jackie Gleason’s Theater, Theater of the Performing Arts, playing the starring role in the new theater’s first production, Mack & Mabel, with both Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in the opening-night audience, in 1976.

Gregg Oppenheimer, son of the legendary Jess Oppenheimer, makes an appearance on the Donny and Marie Show to present a “lost” scene episode in its entirety (“I Love Lucy”) not seen since October 1, 1952, this date in 2000.

Good Housekeeping – “Married Romance”, by Kathleen Renda: “Sex, Lies, & TV – Bedroom lessons we’ve learned – for better and for worse – from America’s favorite couples [Research Notes: (“I Love Lucy”) was first in the article, of course!!!]: (“I Love Lucy”) (1951-1957) – “What we learned: Couples who squabble can also sizzle. What we saw: “This Eisenhower-era sitcom never shows more than a chaste peck, but the sexual chemistry between real-life husband and wife, Ricky and Lucy, is muy Caliente. Lucy – the original desperate housewife – is always scheming to break out of her subservient role and into showbiz, and the ensuing zaniness leads to Ricky’s trademark bellow: ‘Lucy! You got some ‘splainin to do!’ A spanking sometimes follows. Really. Reality check: Lucy and Ricky’s disputes are outlandish, but conflict-as-foreplay is as common today as it was in the fifties,” published in 2007.

Lucie Arnaz appears in David Foster Productions', Second Thoughts, as Amy, co-starring Larry David, Ken Howard and Peggy McCay, among others, in 1983.

Well, these are excellent, this really shows up your Gone with the wind one, LOL!

REALLY GONE WITH THE WIND was just a playful suggestion - and it's the title of Lucy Ricardo's awesomely bad book in LUCY WRITE A NOVEL (did anyone remember?) - but obviously no one would want to use it for just that reason.

SORRY...........366

You are forgetting Leap Year, making a 366th day! Here, to refresh your memory, is what I have for THAT day! I MAY have taken some 'researcher's license' on a couple of dates I wasn't entirely sure about in articles' publication(s), for instance; BUT..... Regards, JK

I didn't forget about February 29th however I think most people would immediately know LIFE WITH LUCY 365 would be about a full year of Lucy but LIFE WITH LUCY 366 might not quite register, however knowing there had to be a Feb 29th in the book (and had no idea Dinah was born on the day, making it a "must") I guess 365 wouldn't work too well in the title.

REALLY GONE WITH THE WIND was just a playful suggestion - and it's the title of Lucy Ricardo's awesomely bad book in LUCY WRITE A NOVEL (did anyone remember?) - but obviously no one would want to use it for just that reason.

I got your joke and it made me laugh! :lucyhaha: In that same vein, maybe Joyce should call her book "A Tree Grows in Jamestown" or "Sugar Caine (Henna Rinse?) Mutiny"? :lucythrill: :lucythrill:

Archived