OCTOBER 9: The Lucy Show: Official Sixth & Final Season -- COVER ART!

Mr. Wilson

You people seem to forget we are talking about two top ten series with the First Lady of Television and Queen of Comedy here, i always knew they would all eventually come out. Maybe they were just a little faster out of the gate than i expected.

I Know I know I know, I feel bad I felt like that lol but I didnt think people of today would embrace that funny and gorgeous Lucy Carmichael of the loopy 1960s.

I guess its because I was kinda use to hearing relatives or friends say "Is this the one with Ricky in it?", they kinda shun it off as a funny show, but not as good as ILL, I DIDNT THINK theyd see what I saw in the show enough to buy the series, but Im glad they did, and glad they do lol

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Know I know I know, I feel bad I felt like that lol but I didnt think people of today would embrace that funny and gorgeous Lucy Carmichael of the loopy 1960s.

I guess its because I was kinda use to hearing relatives or friends say "Is this the one with Ricky in it?", they kinda shun it off as a funny show, but not as good as ILL, I DIDNT THINK theyd see what I saw in the show enough to buy the series, but Im glad they did, and glad they do lol

Like i said, a top ten series and a very good one too. It was perfectly normal that once I Love Lucy was finished being released that they would then concentrate on her other series, same thing happened with her specials and now that they won't have any more series or specials to release, i'm also sure that Life with Lucy will be next and then compilations of her guest appearances on other people's shows, her game show stints and her interviews and many tributes will follow. There's a market out there for all of her work in television as she was the Queen of the medium AND she's always been this icon revered by generation after generation. That's the thing, yes she's from another era and some youngsters today have never even heard of her or don't love her like we do BUT there are also millions around the world who become new fans every day and every year as the show still reaches people of all ages with it's timeless comedic situations and her awesome talent. As has been said many times before, she is to television what Chaplin was to movies. AND more people know her priceless material than they do Chaplin's.

• 3 weeks later...

So has anybody heard if there are any additional bonus features on this besides the usual production notes and cast biographies?

No - nothing yet but look at what Amazon have written about the season: "Lucy continues to go on wacky misadventures with her reluctant best friend and her cantankerous Bob" I never knew there was a Bob in The Lucy Show! :lucyhorror:

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the usual bonus content, this set will also feature the following bonus features:

Clip from "The Carol Burnett Show"

Clip from 1968 Emmy Awards

Funny Outtakes

"Lucy Gets Her Diploma" with Italian audio and opening graphics

Fashions by Stevenson (costume sketches)

Besides the usual bonus content, this set will also feature the following bonus features:

Funny Outtakes

YES!!!!! Can't wait to see the Emmy Award!!!

Funny Outtakes

Ooooooooh, i just luvs your avatar picture!!!!!

Haven't you seen it already? But it'll still be in black and white though, they never saved the one in color. DAMNIT! Thank God, the color pics of her with Cosby and Don Adams is circulating, she was in BLUE, her best color.

I might have seen it - I don't recall - damn! B&W? :( Oh well, better than nothing!

Oh yes! Just watched it on YouTube then! Why didn't they save that one in colour? :(

I love the way she says "I Love You - Thank You" at the end - it's so Lucy Ricardo the way she says it! LOL!

I might have seen it - I don't recall - damn! B&W? :( Oh well, better than nothing!

Oh yes! Just watched it on YouTube then! Why didn't they save that one in colour? :(

I love the way she says "I Love You - Thank You" at the end - it's so Lucy Ricardo the way she says it! LOL!

Yeah, i think it was TJW who just said recently that The Academy didn't save these shows so all they have now is the black and white footage, but at least we saw pics of it in color and she looks even more sensational in color. If she was saying her thanks as Lucy Ricardo she'd do a pratfall while saying it, LOL! Or at least black out her teeth.

Yeah, i think it was TJW who just said recently that The Academy didn't save these shows so all they have now is the black and white footage, but at least we saw pics of it in color and she looks even more sensational in color. If she was saying her thanks as Lucy Ricardo she'd do a pratfall while saying it, LOL! Or at least black out her teeth.

The nominees are:

Elizabeth Montgomery-Bewitched

Marlo Thomas-That Girl

Lucille Ball-The Lucy Show

Paula Prentiss-He and She

Barbara Feldon-Get Smart

and the winner is.........

The expected winner was either Marlo or Paula Prentiss. The 4 top series acting awards were an exact repeat of the previous year and that caused some backlash, though Lucy was the only one to suffer: she never received another series nomination. There was even talk of changing the Emmy rules to avoid repeated wins.

I don't remember much about He and She, but if it was so great why did it only last one seasons and (more telling) not get an Emmy nom as Best Comedy Series? (Get Smart won over Bewitched, THE LUCY SHOW, Hogan's Heroes, and that laugh fest: Family Affair.)

He and She got acting noms for Paula, Richard Benjamin and Jack Cassidy and a win for Best Comedy Writing over another H&S episode, a That Girl script and one for MILT JOSEFSBURG and Ray Singer for the (IMO over-rated) "Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account" (There was a GORILLA, fergodsake) . "Get Smart" was clever for 1965 but it goes to show how few funny comedies there were at the time when it won Best Comedy THREE years in a row as did Adams, for the show's 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. You'd think the originality would have worn off by then. In fact NBC did cancel it after that 4th season (CBS picked it up for one more).

Best Comedy Lead Actor was won again by Don Adams over Dick York, Benjamin, and Brian Keith and Sebastian Cabot both of Family Affair.

If Feldon, York and Cabot were considered "leads" (and for that matter Mary Tyler Moore for her Dick Van Dyke years) then why not Gale Gordon? He got his 2nd nom for supporting but lost to Werner Klemperer of Hogan's Heroes. Other nominees: William Demarest, Jack Cassidy. Funny that the previous year Agnes Moorehead was up for Lead and this year she was in Supporting category, losing to Marion Lorne, the 2nd posthumous supporting actress award won by a Bewitched actress. By this time, Marion Lorne was the only reason to watch Bewitched. The show had lost a lot of its charm because it turned into more of a cartoon; and without Lorne and Alice Pearce, Elizabeth spread her wings as an actual out-and-out comedienne, wings that maybe should have remained unspread. (and not really knocking Liz who was stupendous in the first 2 Bewitched seasons). I don't know why but I've never seen one episode of "Hogan's Heroes": the concept just never appealed to me, but "Family Affair" must have been produced by a pharmaceutical company to promote the use of insulin. It was a show that made my teeth ache. Talk about your "sickening sweetness"!!! but my grandmother loved it.

Irma really outdid herself with Lucy's 1968 Emmy wig! I'm surprised there wasn't a bird cage in it.

The nominees are:

Elizabeth Montgomery-Bewitched

Marlo Thomas-That Girl

Lucille Ball-The Lucy Show

Paula Prentiss-He and She

Barbara Feldon-Get Smart

and the winner is.........

The expected winner was either Marlo or Paula Prentiss. The 4 top series acting awards were an exact repeat of the previous year and that caused some backlash, though Lucy was the only one to suffer: she never received another series nomination. There was even talk of changing the Emmy rules to avoid repeated wins.

I don't remember much about He and She, but if it was so great why did it only last one seasons and (more telling) not get an Emmy nom as Best Comedy Series? (Get Smart won over Bewitched, THE LUCY SHOW, Hogan's Heroes, and that laugh fest: Family Affair.)

He and She got acting noms for Paula, Richard Benjamin and Jack Cassidy and a win for Best Comedy Writing over another H&S episode, a That Girl script and one for MILT JOSEFSBURG and Ray Singer for the (IMO over-rated) "Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account" (There was a GORILLA, fergodsake) . "Get Smart" was clever for 1965 but it goes to show how few funny comedies there were at the time when it won Best Comedy THREE years in a row as did Adams, for the show's 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. You'd think the originality would have worn off by then. In fact NBC did cancel it after that 4th season (CBS picked it up for one more).

Best Comedy Lead Actor was won again by Don Adams over Dick York, Benjamin, and Brian Keith and Sebastian Cabot both of Family Affair.

If Feldon, York and Cabot were considered "leads" (and for that matter Mary Tyler Moore for her Dick Van Dyke years) then why not Gale Gordon? He got his 2nd nom for supporting but lost to Werner Klemperer of Hogan's Heroes. Other nominees: William Demarest, Jack Cassidy. Funny that the previous year Agnes Moorehead was up for Lead and this year she was in Supporting category, losing to Marion Lorne, the 2nd posthumous supporting actress award won by a Bewitched actress. By this time, Marion Lorne was the only reason to watch Bewitched. The show had lost a lot of its charm because it turned into more of a cartoon; and without Lorne and Alice Pearce, Elizabeth spread her wings as an actual out-and-out comedienne, wings that maybe should have remained unspread. (and not really knocking Liz who was stupendous in the first 2 Bewitched seasons). I don't know why but I've never seen one episode of "Hogan's Heroes": the concept just never appealed to me, but "Family Affair" must have been produced by a pharmaceutical company to promote the use of insulin. It was a show that made my teeth ache. Talk about your "sickening sweetness"!!! but my grandmother loved it.

Irma really outdid herself with Lucy's 1968 Emmy wig! I'm surprised there wasn't a bird cage in it.

Ok, i wanted my 40 thousandth post to be better than my usual crap so i picked this one to celebrate, what a wealth of info you provide. I don't know where to begin, yes, my family deemed a comedy show about a prisoner of war camp, Hogan's Heroes, very inappropriate, but we watched it anyway, it was not great but the lead actors were. It's not that Werner Klemperer was better than Gale, maybe he just had a better acting role to play with. He and She WAS very good, as were the actors, i would have given it to Jack Cassidy who was terrific, he was a real life Ted Baxter it seems. I don't remember that much about Bewitched except we loved it, Liz was excellent, but we adored the great Alice Pierce AND Marion Lorne. Agness Moorehead too of course, BUT, one year for lead actress and one for supporting actress is just Television Academy nonsense as usual. The only ones i've seen in decades are the Christmas episodes and they were sacharine and not so funny. Family Affair getting any kind of award or even nomination is ridiculous, God how we hated that show, it was better in those times of course but you couldn't pay me to watch that sweetfest today. Yes, i remember the backlash Lucy got for winning two years i a row, what would those critics say NOW? When they repeat five years in a row or even 14 as in the case of The Amazing Race. I guess the Emmys are like the Oscars, they get it wrong more often than get it right. A popularity contest that rarely acknowledges greatness, looks like lazy voters just picking out the more obvious name and not looking at all the shows and making rational choices in a few seconds. They DID get it RIGHT with Lucy though, LOL! I think the Lucy/Jack Benny bank account one is an all time fave as it was two great comedyicons doing their shtick better than anyone else. The fact that they were my all time two favorite comedians is a factor too, BUT i tolerated the absurdness of the gorilla and all the other ridiculousness as i was watching two of the greatest performers who ever lived together again showing the youngins how it's done. Get Smart got too much recognition as Mel Brooks was associated with it, it was clever and funny, though very repetitive but again, you wouldn't get me to buy it or even watch it, i would like to see The Monkees from around that time though, although i've seen some and very little from that era holds up forty or more years later, Lucy being the one exception in my book.

Ok, i wanted my 40 thousandth post to be better than my usual crap so i picked this one to celebrate, what a wealth of info you provide. I don't know where to begin, yes, my family deemed a comedy show about a prisoner of war camp, Hogan's Heroes, very inappropriate, but we watched it anyway, it was not great but the lead actors were. It's not that Werner Klemperer was better than Gale, maybe he just had a better acting role to play with. He and She WAS very good, as were the actors, i would have given it to Jack Cassidy who was terrific, he was a real life Ted Baxter it seems. I don't remember that much about Bewitched except we loved it, Liz was excellent, but we adored the great Alice Pierce AND Marion Lorne. Agness Moorehead too of course, BUT, one year for lead actress and one for supporting actress is just Television Academy nonsense as usual. The only ones i've seen in decades are the Christmas episodes and they were sacharine and not so funny. Family Affair getting any kind of award or even nomination is ridiculous, God how we hated that show, it was better in those times of course but you couldn't pay me to watch that sweetfest today. Yes, i remember the backlash Lucy got for winning two years i a row, what would those critics say NOW? When they repeat five years in a row or even 14 as in the case of The Amazing Race. I guess the Emmys are like the Oscars, they get it wrong more often than get it right. A popularity contest that rarely acknowledges greatness, looks like lazy voters just picking out the more obvious name and not looking at all the shows and making rational choices in a few seconds. They DID get it RIGHT with Lucy though, LOL! I think the Lucy/Jack Benny bank account one is an all time fave as it was two great comedyicons doing their shtick better than anyone else. The fact that they were my all time two favorite comedians is a factor too, BUT i tolerated the absurdness of the gorilla and all the other ridiculousness as i was watching two of the greatest performers who ever lived together again showing the youngins how it's done. Get Smart got too much recognition as Mel Brooks was associated with it, it was clever and funny, though very repetitive but again, you wouldn't get me to buy it or even watch it, i would like to see The Monkees from around that time though, although i've seen some and very little from that era holds up forty or more years later, Lucy being the one exception in my book.

Congratulations on 40,000!

Don't miss this terrific Q&A on Season 6 from TJW himself -- http://www.lucyfan.com/stillweek120932.html

:lucywow:

Listen, not kissing a$$ here but Tom Watson has to be the very best when it comes to talking about anyting Lucyish, he knows it all, he's seen it all and he conveys it all so eloquently. I'm so glad you posted this Brock, although i'll be frequenting his site again as of tonight just to see more of those great pieces he so beautifully presents to us Lucy fans. He's just the best i tell you!

Archived