Lucy A - Z -- E!

Brock

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In honor of HIS birthday:

Gale Gordon 2/20/06 06/30/95

Gale Gordon, Charles T. Aldrich, Jr., actor, 46 films; long-time mentor, friend, actor, co-star, and veteran supporting cast member of every Lucille Ball series; guest, CBS' Radio, My Favorite Husband; Lucille film co-star, A Woman of Distinction, 1950; had his schedule allowed at the time, would have become Lucy’s Fred Mertz - guest, (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy’s Schedule”, and “Ricky Asks for a Raise”, 1952; with Desi Arnaz and Lucille, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy's the Mertzes), among many others, stars, as Hubbell Robinson, CBS Executive, Stars in The Eye, 1952; Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, stars as Osgood Conklin, 130 episodes, 1952-56; with Desi Arnaz, Our Miss Brooks, “The King and Brooks”, 1955; Desilu Productions’, The Brothers, 26 episodes, as Harvey Box, 1956; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 2 episodes, 1961; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “Lucy Makes Room for Danny”, 1958; guest, Desilu Studios''-filmed, The Danny Thomas Show, 7 episodes, 1959-61; guest, Desilu Productions’, Harrigan and Son “On Broadway”, and Angel “Unpopular Mechanics”, 1961; Desilu Productions’-Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Comedy Spot “For the Love of Mike”, 1962; Lucille's Special, Mr. And Mrs., 1964; Lucille's co-star, The Lucy Show - 102 episodes, as Theodore J. Mooney, 1963-68; co-star, unsold pilot - Desilu Productions’, Vacation Playhouse “Where There's Smokey”, 1966; Lucille's co-star, (“Here’s Lucy”), as Harry Carter, one of which, “Lucy and Miss Shelley Winters”, he performs, uncredited, “Shortnin' Bread”, 1968,123 episodes, 1968-74; with Lucille, The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Lucille Ball, 1975, CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976, Lucy Calls the President, 1977, Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; co-star, Bungle Abbey, Lucille-directed pilot, 1981; Life With Lucy, as Curtis McGibbon, - 14 episodes, 1986; guest, Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie , as himself, 1993; with Lucille, each archivally, 50 Years of Funny Females, as himself, 1995; as himself, each archivally, American Masters, “Finding Lucy”, 2000; archivally, The Desilu Story, 2003, Working With Lucy: A Conversation With Gino Conforti, “Harry Carter and the Abbot”, Meet the Carters, and Here's Lucy: On Location, 2009; as well as Working With Lucy: A Conversation With James E. Brodhead, 2010, is born this date in 1906.

Gale Gordon 2/20/06 06/30/95

Gale Gordon, Charles T. Aldrich, Jr., long-time mentor, friend, actor, co-star, and veteran supporting cast member of every Lucille Ball series; co-star, CBS' Radio, My Favorite Husband, 1948 - had his schedule allowed at the time, would have become Lucy’s Fred Mertz; bit part in Lucille's early film-career, A Woman of Distinction, 1950; (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy’s Schedule”, and “Ricky Asks for a Raise”, 1952; stars, as Hubbell Robinson, CBS Executive, with Desi Arnaz and Lucille, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy's the Mertzes), among others, Stars in Their Eye, 1952; Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, as Osgood Conklin - 130 episodes, 1952-56; with Desi Arnaz, Our Miss Brooks, “The King and Brooks”, 1955; Desilu Productions’, The Brothers, 26 episodes, as Harvey Box, 1956; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 2 episodes, 1961; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “Lucy Makes Room for Danny”, 1958; Desilu Productions’, Harrigan and Son “On Broadway”, and Angel “Unpopular Mechanics”, 1961; Desilu Productions’-Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Comedy Spot, 1962; Lucille's Special, Mr. And Mrs., 1964; guest star, The Lucy Show – 45 episodes, as Theodore J. Mooney, 1963-68; co-star, unsold pilot - Desilu Productions’, Vacation Playhouse “Where There's Smokey”, 1966; (“Here’s Lucy”), 41 episodes, as Harry Carter, 1968-74; with Lucille, The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Lucille Ball, 1975, CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976, Lucy Calls the President, 1977, Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; co-starred in Bungle Abbey, Lucille-directed pilot, 1981; Life With Lucy – 3 episodes, as Curtis McGibbon, 1986; guest, Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie , as himself, 1993; with Lucille, both by archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females, as himself, 1995; as well as himself, via archival footage, American Masters, “Finding Lucy”, 2000, and Working With Lucy: A Conversation With James E. Brodhead, 2010, is born this date in 1906.

Okay I know it's early in the morning and not had enough coffee yet but in reading this something's "off" or I'm just not following correctly: the episode counts for the respective series (i.e., The Lucy Show - 45 eps? In 5 years? Can't be right. Same with HL: 41 episodes as Harry Carter?? He was in nearly all if not each of its 140 or so episodes). Just typos perhaps? unsure.gif

What originally had caught my curiousity about this post is the entry that Gale shot a pilot in 1966, which would be during the Hollywood era of TLS eps. With the show now firmly set about the (mis)adventures of secretary Lucy Carmichael and her boss Mr. Mooney, does this mean had this pilot sold -- presuming he was a lead -- that TLS would have undergone yet another format change? Or at the very least, one in casting? Not to say Gale could be replaced but if in fact the pilot was for his own show, he couldn't possibly have done both at once, then what was to become of his role on TLS? Or was he just a "guest star" on said pilot? Do any Gale afficionados out there know anything about this show? Details if so, please. Thank you! :D

I should have known it'd be in HC's book! Eeeesh! If you ever wanna know anything, just refer to your handy dandy copy of "Lucille Ball FAQ" by Sheridan & Monush. Thanks fellas!!! ;)

Okay I know it's early in the morning and not had enough coffee yet but in reading this something's "off" or I'm just not following correctly: the episode counts for the respective series (i.e., The Lucy Show - 45 eps? In 5 years? Can't be right. Same with HL: 41 episodes as Harry Carter?? He was in nearly all if not each of its 140 or so episodes). Just typos perhaps? unsure.gif

What originally had caught my curiousity about this post is the entry that Gale shot a pilot in 1966, which would be during the Hollywood era of TLS eps. With the show now firmly set about the (mis)adventures of secretary Lucy Carmichael and her boss Mr. Mooney, does this mean had this pilot sold -- presuming he was a lead -- that TLS would have undergone yet another format change? Or at the very least, one in casting? Not to say Gale could be replaced but if in fact the pilot was for his own show, he couldn't possibly have done both at once, then what was to become of his role on TLS? Or was he just a "guest star" on said pilot? Do any Gale afficionados out there know anything about this show? Details if so, please. Thank you! :D

I should have known it'd be in HC's book! Eeeesh! If you ever wanna know anything, just refer to your handy dandy copy of "Lucille Ball FAQ" by Sheridan & Monush. Thanks fellas!!! ;)

Thank you! Gale was in 111 episodes of The Lucy Show and 140 of Here's Lucy. "Where There's Smokey" was a pilot starring Soupy Sales and Gale that was filmed in 1959 and didn't sell, but eventually aired as part of Vacation Playhouse in 1966.

MILLION THANKS, guys!

That's why I'm 10 hours a day in the editng process! Thanks for calling this obvious goof to my figures; some of this stuff was entered many years ago; and I had yet to get to 2/20; only up to 2/4 in editing, on this round of editing. Loving you, JK

Ed Sedgwick b. 11/7/1892 d. 3/7/53

Ed Sedgwick, Actor, 29 films; Lucille Ball Mentor and father figure; Writer, 34 films; Director, 79 films; directed Lucille, early film-career, MGM, Easy To Wed, 1946, suggesting that MGM, and later, Columbia, should star her in a major comedy vehicle; greatly assisted Lucille in “polishing' the Arnazes vaudeville tour, pre-(“I Love Lucy”); as well as a large directoral presence in (“I Love Lucy”), including the transformation of an idea Desi had to make a ninety-minute feature film of three half-hour episodes into one to experimentally release in Latin America and the U.S.; is born this date in 1892.

Sheldon Leonard b. 2/22/07 d. 1/10/97

Sheldon Leonard, actor, 103 films; on stage with William Frawley (“Lucy’s Fred Mertz), 20th Century, 1932; in Stage Play, Kiss The Boys Goodbye, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and Phil Ober (Vivian's future husband), 1938; Frawley co-star, Abbott and Costello Meet The Invisible Man, 1951; guest, Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks “Christmas Show”, 1952, as camera director; Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz', long-time friend and supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”) “Sales Resistance”, 1953; camera director, Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks “The Magic Tree”, 1953 and “The Miserable Caballeros”, 1954; director, one episode, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Jimmy Durante Show, “#1.16”, 1955; directed “Californy, Here We Come”, The Real McCoys,(acted in 6 'other' episodes) 1957; produced and directed, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, starring Danny Thomas; produced and directed The Danny Thomas Show: “Lucy Upsets the Williams Household”, 1959; director, Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Favorite Martian, 1963, producer, The Joey Bishop Show, “The Baby Formula”, 1963; The Dick Van Dyke Show, director, 4 episodes, 1961-63, Make Room for Daddy, 1953-1963, The Bill Dana Show, 1963-64, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., 1964, and The Andy Griffith Show, 1960-1965; produced and directed A Danny Thomas Special: “The Wonderful World of Burlesque”, 1965; second, and location unit director, 15 episodes, 1966-67, and star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, I Spy, "Crusade to Limbo", as himself, 1966; and responsible for casting Bill Cosby for his role in the series; writer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 5 episodes, 1963-67; The Lucy Show “Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard”, as himself, 1967; one of the most successful TV producers of many of the above-mentioned Desilu products of all time, as well as with Lucille and Desi, via archival footage, TV Land Moguls: The 50’s, 2004, is born this date in 1907.

MILLION THANKS, guys!

That's why I'm 10 hours a day in the editng process! Thanks for calling this obvious goof to my figures; some of this stuff was entered many years ago; and I had yet to get to 2/20; only up to 2/4 in editing, on this round of editing. Loving you, JK

Thanking you, once again, for the 'heads-up' guys, I have today taken the time to 're-work' Gale's birthday and chronology entry; I have yet to go in and count the episodes of My Favorite Husband; let me know if I'm getting closer - this entry must have been made a very long time ago; glad you brought the errors to my attention; I'm sure it was an entry made before I found the IMDb, which, if not perfect, had a ton of stuff more that I had entered...

You ARE THE BEST.... JK

In honor of HER birthday:

Majel Barrett b. 2/23/32 d. 12/18/08

Majel Barrett, guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “The Desilu Revue”, 1959; Lucille Ball guest, The Lucy Show “Lucy Is A Kangeroo for a Day”, 1962; co-star, Lucille Ball, A Guide For The Married Man, 1967; star, Desilu Productions', Star Trek, 33 episodes, 1966-69, is born this date in 1932.

Archived