An American in Pasadena

Brock

"No way" my ass. She looked AMAZING here and I don't recall seeing this when it was originally broadcast. Do we have any details (year, network, etc.) of it's origins? Thanks! :D

The Gene Kelly special, that she did as a favor for him doing an appearance on Lucy Moves to NBC so i assunme it's been remastered to be on that release when it finally comes out. Lucy had one other scene where all his leading ladies come in as he serebnades them and they all dance together, as he mentions each movie they made with him. Lucy wore a beautiful pink outfit for that part, love everything about this special, just terrific and she was excellent. Some of the other ladies were Kathryn Grayson, Betty Garrett, Janet Leigh, Cyd Charisse and Tony Martin's wife, her name escapes me at the moment. Must have been around 1977.

The Gene Kelly special, that she did as a favor for him doing an appearance on Lucy Moves to NBC so i assunme it's been remastered to be on that release when it finally comes out. Lucy had one other scene where all his leading ladies come in as he serebnades them and they all dance together, as he mentions each movie they made with him. Lucy wore a beautiful pink outfit for that part, love everything about this special, just terrific and she was excellent. Some of the other ladies were Kathryn Grayson, Betty Garrett, Janet Leigh, Cyd Charisse and Tony Martin's wife, her name escapes me at the moment. Must have been around 1977.

"Moves to NBC" was 1980 so she isn't quite 70 here, which is one reason she looks so fab. Thanks! :D

Gloria DeHaven, Cindy Williams, and (in a pretaped number) Liza Minnelli also appeared in the special. The show aired in 1978.

Thanks for sharing; another 'myth' from the past; we KNOW Lucille is tall; had at least 3-in heels on; and Gene was nearly up there with her - my recollection is thinking he was one of the 'shorter' actors, the likes of so many who had to stand on boxes or ramps, etc., to nose-to-nose-it!!!!

Thanks for sharing; another 'myth' from the past; we KNOW Lucille is tall; had at least 3-in heels on; and Gene was nearly up there with her - my recollection is thinking he was one of the 'shorter' actors, the likes of so many who had to stand on boxes or ramps, etc., to nose-to-nose-it!!!!

Alan Ladd was the worst, they always dug a ditch for his co stars to walk in on some westerns.

'Thanks for sharing; another 'myth' from the past; we KNOW Lucille is tall; had at least 3-in heels on; and Gene was nearly up there with her - my recollection is thinking he was one of the 'shorter' actors, the likes of so many who had to stand on boxes or ramps, etc., to nose-to-nose-it!!!!'....

Alan Ladd was the worst, they always dug a ditch for his co stars to walk in on some westerns.

Inquisitive'ness' got in my way, and I went way overboard today in research from what I should be doing:

Kelly 5'7", - as was Sinatra, O'Connor, Bracken, and Burns (Gracie was 5')

Jack Benny 5'8"

Alan Ladd 5'6"

Rickles 5'6"

Sammy Davis 5'5"

Fred Astaire 5'9" (Ginger 5'4")

Dean Martin 5'11"

Peter Lawford 6'

Randolph Scott 6'2 1/2'

(you can probably surmise, I was watching Roberta, the other night, and wondered about heights; Scott made Astaire look lady-like; so, I got to thinking about seeing Gene Kelly, listed as 5'7" and Lucille, in 3-inch heels, at 5'7 1/2" - Pasadena -!!!!) I've ALWAYS wondered about the others. The camera angles in some pictures, makes these people look much larger....

Archived