CBS Salutes Lucy DVD

Does anyone know if the DVD of the special “CBS Salutes Lucy – The First 25 Years” from 1976 is available anywhere? For some reason, I just never picked up this DVD and just went looking for it on Amazon and Ebay, but Amazon has some VHS copies available at inflatable prices – new used ones for around $75. Now, I remember this special was fun but nothing extraordinary. Not sure if CBS put this out or not, does anyone have any info on it or know where I can maybe find a copy.

Thanks, Mickie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if the DVD of the special “CBS Salutes Lucy – The First 25 Years” from 1976 is available anywhere? For some reason, I just never picked up this DVD and just went looking for it on Amazon and Ebay, but Amazon has some VHS copies available at inflatable prices – new used ones for around $75. Now, I remember this special was fun but nothing extraordinary. Not sure if CBS put this out or not, does anyone have any info on it or know where I can maybe find a copy.

Thanks, Mickie

Oh you are so wrong, it's one of the all time best Lucy things out in the marketplace. I bought it when it first came out on dvd, YEARS ago and play it often, i'd put it up there with the Home Movies and Finding Lucy, it's a great special celebrating the best work she ever did and the hosts introducing segments include everybody from Desi and Viv to her favorite actor Richard Burton. Haven't seen it in a long time in stores though.

Oh you are so wrong, it's one of the all time best Lucy things out in the marketplace. I bought it when it first came out on dvd, YEARS ago and play it often, i'd put it up there with the Home Movies and Finding Lucy, it's a great special celebrating the best work she ever did and the hosts introducing segments include everybody from Desi and Viv to her favorite actor Richard Burton. Haven't seen it in a long time in stores though.

Thats why I need to check it out again - just did not think it was worth $75. to get a video tape, but will keep looking out for it - it will turn up eventually.

Thats why I need to check it out again - just did not think it was worth $75. to get a video tape, but will keep looking out for it - it will turn up eventually.

Oh i agree about the cost, went through that yesterday as all these gay themed movies i looked at were close to forty bucks a piece and Rich Man poor Man miniseries went for close to your 75 bucks with tax and all, i refuse to pay that also. I think i paid close to fifty, again with tax, for CBS Salutes Lucy, the first 25 years BECAUSE i had it in VHS and knew it was something i would play forever and was terrific from start to finish and how many things can you say that about nowadays? It helps that even the cover is perfect showing Lucy at the Emmys in that beautiful dress and looking her best in '67.

Oh i agree about the cost, went through that yesterday as all these gay themed movies i looked at were close to forty bucks a piece and Rich Man poor Man miniseries went for close to your 75 bucks with tax and all, i refuse to pay that also. I think i paid close to fifty, again with tax, for CBS Salutes Lucy, the first 25 years BECAUSE i had it in VHS and knew it was something i would play forever and was terrific from start to finish and how many things can you say that about nowadays? It helps that even the cover is perfect showing Lucy at the Emmys in that beautiful dress and looking her best in '67.

Should have picked up the DVD back then when I used to see it in Best Buy or B&N for under $20.

Thanks Mark, I just checked it out and a new DVD is listed at Euro 90.95 which I believe comes out to around $120. US Dollars.

Wow, kinda makes that 75 look more reasonable now huh? I hate it here when they know they are rare or limited appeal dvds as opposed to hot movies that will sell millions of copies and they charge and arm and a leg for them, it's all about how many copies they think they'll sell. Then you see a great film like Ordinary People going for 5 dollars and a piece of crap that you never want to sit through again going for twenty. There's just something wrong there.

It's a shame the DVD reportedly cut out some segments from the broadcast version.

It's a shame the DVD reportedly cut out some segments from the broadcast version.

They definitely did. It's mostly from the musical segment. Also deleted was a tribute to Bill Frawley introduced by Gale, presumably because the clip they used was "Carolina in the Mornin'" - another music clearance issue. A couple of brief clips were altered in the opening montage. I don't know what the reasoning behind that was.

They definitely did. It's mostly from the musical segment. Also deleted was a tribute to Bill Frawley introduced by Gale, presumably because the clip they used was "Carolina in the Mornin'" - another music clearance issue. A couple of brief clips were altered in the opening montage. I don't know what the reasoning behind that was.

Oh of course, it would be for musical reasons. Pity Gale's intro didn't make it. Are there copies of the broadcast version circulating anywhere?

Thanks, Mickie

No, it is so worth it, i picked up one that was practically brand new, with not one scratch last month for $33.00 on Amazon. My old copy was on VHS and was getting very worn out. The special itself is great, but sadly no Special Features, but it was from 2000 or 01' so storage was not as high on 1 disc. Either way, it is worth it. :professor:

They edited the scene from "Here's Lucy" w/Eddie Albert singing By the Light of the Silvery Moon. One of the best episodes of season six.

Also cut from that sequence was Lucy and Dan Dailey doing I Want to Be Happy and a number from Lucy and Carol Burnett (first season).

Thanks Mark, I just checked it out and a new DVD is listed at Euro 90.95 which I believe comes out to around $120. US Dollars.

Any reason why you wouldn't want a used one? and the 90.95 is not euro by the way, it's pound sterling and is about $145. The used one works out at $21

Archived