Cleo Smith 1919-2012

PasadenaTrenton

So saddened to report the news of Cleo Smith's passing. :(

From Lucie -

One of my favorite people in the whole world, my Aunt Cleo Smith, passed away yesterday afternoon in Moro Bay, CA. She would have been 93 in May. She was actually my mother's cousin, but, Cleo's mother died very young and so my grandmother,... Dede Ball, raised her as her own and Mom always referred to Cleo as "my baby sister". She adored her. We all did.

Cleo was the Producer of our "Here's Lucy" shows from 1968-1974 and of most of my mother's television specials after that. She was a beautiful, bright, fun loving, witty woman who was smart and savvy before it was expected of women in business. She was married for over 45 years to journalist and renowned theatre and television critic, Cecil Smith, who passed away just a couple of years ago, also in his 90's. Cleo is survived by three children (Scott Morgan of Portland, Oregon, Tina Smith of Carpentaria, CA. and Marcus Smith of Morro Bay, CA.- who has been the guardian angel watching over both his parents for the better part of his life) and two, beautiful grandchildren, Amanda Morgan and Joshua Smith.

God hold and keep her close. And, "Clohie", I hope the party is loud and full of song tonight when you get there. But, we're sure gonna miss your laugh around here.

Blessings, Little Lu

I'm so sad to hear this. :( Cleo was a wonderful woman. It was so great to meet Cleo, Cecil, and Marcus at various Jamestown festivals. They were a great family. Cleo probably could have written the most interesting book about Lucy and I think she had a fascinating life herself.

tumblr_l9wxef7e6X1qd76iqo1_500.jpg

Who's Marcus? Was that her son?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read it. That'll teach me to read the whole thing before commenting...

I'm so sad to hear this. :( Cleo was a wonderful woman. It was so great to meet Cleo, Cecil, and Marcus at various Jamestown festivals. They were a great family. Cleo probably could have written the most interesting book about Lucy and I think she had a fascinating life herself.

tumblr_l9wxef7e6X1qd76iqo1_500.jpg

Very sad news. She could have written the most interesting book about Lucy, but I'm so glad she was able to share her stories with us -- and it was a thrill to hear so many of them in person. She, Cecil, and Marcus were so wonderful during the Jamestown festivals and Cleo was so generous of herself with the fans and very sweet. Lucie's comment about Marcus is spot on -- his attentiveness to his mother and Aunt Zo (on what was to be Cleo's last visit to Jamestown) was clear for all to see.

R.I.P. Cleo. :(

I wanted to add as well that she was a very funny lady herself, as displayed in her many events during the festivals. One of my personal favourite Jamestown memories was her re-enactment of getting trapped in the locked car earlier in the day as Cecil, Lucie, etc., went into Kaldi's Coffee Shop without realising she was stranded in the vehicle, and of her efforts to attract the attention of passers-by. LOL

Very sad news. She could have written the most interesting book about Lucy, but I'm so glad she was able to share her stories with us -- and it was a thrill to hear so many of them in person. She, Cecil, and Marcus were so wonderful during the Jamestown festivals and Cleo was so generous of herself with the fans and very sweet. Lucie's comment about Marcus is spot on -- his attentiveness to his mother and Aunt Zo (on what was to be Cleo's last visit to Jamestown) was clear for all to see.

R.I.P. Cleo. :(

I agree with all of this. The Jamestown event with Lucie, the Balls, and the Smiths is something I'll never forget.

Great logo too, Brock!

Yes, great banner Brock for a beautiful lady, inside and out, have never heard one negative word about this lady, everybody loved her, including Lucy who loved her so much. Talented too, her producing of so many shows and specials for Lucy over the years. Yes, wish we had gotten that book from her about Lucy, but i guess she was just too classy to exploit her sister like relationship with Lucy. She will be missed, there are so few people left in this world like her, lovely lady indeed.

Sad news, RIP Miss Cleo.

Thanks for adding the picture of Lucy and Cleo which I've never seen before, obviously taken on the set of 1946's TWO SMART PEOPLE in which Cleo has an unbilled part as "Cleopatra" (obviously in the Mardi Gras segment). She also has unbilled bits in one of Lucy's RKO films HAVING WONDERFUL TIME (1938) (as a camper) and Desi's CUBAN PETE (1946) as a nurse.

I wanted to add as well that she was a very funny lady herself, as displayed in her many events during the festivals. One of my personal favourite Jamestown memories was her re-enactment of getting trapped in the locked car earlier in the day as Cecil, Lucie, etc., went into Kaldi's Coffee Shop without realising she was stranded in the vehicle, and of her efforts to attract the attention of passers-by. LOL

When you said 're-enactment', I thought you were going to say you were at the Lucy Lane home when Cleo re-enacted the 'shooting' incident, when they were all children - been trying to remember who told me they were there, and that it gave them chills; apparently, although in her late 80's, Cleo, as the Erickson child, fell down in the yard, in the exact spot she remembers it happening....was it you, Brock?

That would be a great story, right about now, if we all could hear it from THAT person....

P.S. How in 'corn's sake' can someone lock themselves IN a car? Was she pulling a 'lucy'?

When you said 're-enactment', I thought you were going to say you were at the Lucy Lane home when Cleo re-enacted the 'shooting' incident, when they were all children - been trying to remember who told me they were there, and that it gave them chills; apparently, although in her late 80's, Cleo, as the Erickson child, fell down in the yard, in the exact spot she remembers it happening....was it you, Brock?

That would be a great story, right about now, if we all could hear it from THAT person....

P.S. How in 'corn's sake' can someone lock themselves IN a car? Was she pulling a 'lucy'?

I have that story on DVD, Joyce. You are welcome to come to Lucy Lane sometime and watch it. Then you can tell the story:)

That is creepy about her falling in the yard where it happened. Coincidence? Hmm. :lucyhorror:

I'd love to see that DVD too.

It had a remote control lock so when Cecil, Lucie, etc., got out of the car they hit the lock button when they were out of the car -- or so she told it -- thus trapping her in the back seat. LOL I guess it had child lock.

Sad news in the Lucy world indeed. I briefly met Cleo in Jamestown and she was so polite and kind. Wish we would have been able to talk more. Cleo's now with her "big sister". My condolences to all family and friends. May she rest in peace.

Oh my gosh. :marionstrong:

I was reminiscing with Zo about the May 2005 Jamestown weekend recently and she laughed "Can you imagine? Her own husband forgot her!"

My condolences and warm sympathy go out to the family. She was a lady ahead of her time to help get Lucy in London together and was very classy and respectful of Lucy. I love what Lucie wrote about her you can sense her affection for her.

That is creepy about her falling in the yard where it happened. Coincidence? Hmm. :lucyhorror:

I'd love to see that DVD too.

Cleo was reenacting the scene from 70+ years prior. She fell on that spot with purpose, to physically show what happened to the Ericksson that day. Mary was able to tape all their retellings on DVD, preserving their stories from the revisit and these great pieces of history.

Cleo was reenacting the scene from 70+ years prior. She fell on that spot with purpose, to physically show what happened to the Ericksson that day. Mary was able to tape all their retellings on DVD, preserving their stories from the revisit and these great pieces of history.

Oh I see, thought she might've tripped or something. Well she was pretty spry for her age then, no doubt. Wow. ^_^

I have that story on DVD, Joyce. You are welcome to come to Lucy Lane sometime and watch it. Then you can tell the story:)

I KNEW I heard someone talking about it; now, I recall it was you!!!! Would LOVE LOVE to see the DVD; let me know when you are going to be 'around'....I'll meet you there. JK

It had a remote control lock so when Cecil, Lucie, etc., got out of the car they hit the lock button when they were out of the car -- or so she told it -- thus trapping her in the back seat. LOL I guess it had child lock.

Thanks, Brock; I had a cuppla similar incidents with the last car I had; only it locked ME out; car running, only set of keys in the ignition; right in front of the Celoron Post Office....embarrassing. I just told folks passing by I'd had a 'lucy' moment....

Thanks, Brock; I had a cuppla similar incidents with the last car I had; only it locked ME out; car running, only set of keys in the ignition; right in front of the Celoron Post Office....embarrassing. I just told folks passing by I'd had a 'lucy' moment....

Secret to that dilemma is T W O sets of keys on you at all times.

Oh no!! :( :( :( I've been away on a trip for the past few days and this is such sad news to come home to. :( :( :( I never got to meet Cleo or see her in person, but she's always been one of my favorite Lucy people just from the fantastic stories I've read and seen her tell. A truly special, wonderful person who lived a long and fulfilling life. RIP, beautiful Cleo!

Oh no!! :( :( :( I've been away on a trip for the past few days and this is such sad news to come home to. :( :( :( I never got to meet Cleo or see her in person, but she's always been one of my favorite Lucy people just from the fantastic stories I've read and seen her tell. A truly special, wonderful person who lived a long and fulfilling life. RIP, beautiful Cleo!

I just think that now she's with Lucy and everything's okay. She lived a long life and it seemed a very happy, fulfilling one. :)

Archived