Merv Griffin -- Lucy, Ginger Rogers, Ethel Merman

Brock

I have the 60 minute version of this interview and this story was cut out. Thanks, Brock! Jerry, Jule Styne, and Hal David are the other guests.

Also, note to Ginger, White Plains is in Westchester (Let's go UP to Westchester), not Long Island.

To quote Lucy, "What the hell does it matter?"

LOL

Was Merv still offering 60 and 90 minute versions of his show at this point?

With Jerry there, do he and Lucy have any exchanges about "Mame"?

I have the 60 minute version of this interview and this story was cut out. Thanks, Brock! Jerry, Jule Styne, and Hal David are the other guests.

Also, note to Ginger, White Plains is in Westchester (Let's go UP to Westchester), not Long Island.

... and is that Jerry Herman sitting over with Lucy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHwcv_WxBNQ

"What the hell difference does it make?! :rolleyes: " :marionstrong:

I HAVE that Merv Griffin show, one of my all time favorites, but i dun't have that particular part of it, no wonder they cut it out, not that thrilling or funny a story, LOL! But still nice to see something different from it. Must be the 60 minute version of the 90 minute show like someone said here.

Was Merv still offering 60 and 90 minute versions of his show at this point?

With Jerry there, do he and Lucy have any exchanges about "Mame"?

The Merv Griffith Show actually went to just 60 minutes earlier that year. I guess I just have an edited copy.

I'm loving this Ginger Rogers channel!

This must have been one of Ethel's last tv appearances, didn't she pass away a year or two later?

Yeah, i too was shocked to read that she died shortly after this interview, glad it was a great trbute to her, she got the Pied Piper award from the songwriters and did a few numbers or rather BELTED OUT a few numbers, no microphone needed for that lady! :lucythrill:

This must have been one of Ethel's last tv appearances, didn't she pass away a year or two later?

This was indeed one of Ethel's final TV appearances, but she was extremely busy in the months that followed. This show was taped in May 1982. In April 1983, Ethel collapsed in her apartment. It was thought she had a stroke, but it turned out to be a brain tumor. She died the following February. Ethel was working constantly between the Merv Griffith appearance and her hospitalization. Ethel performed at a Royal Variety performance for the Queen Mother in late 1982 and she sang "Before the Parade Passes By" on The Texico Star Theater special in 1983. Merman was booked to perform on the Oscars, Tonys, and Emmys when she was hospitalized.

Leave it to Lucy to cut the crap and tell it like it is. :marionstrong:

Thanks for posting this! I have always wanted to see this interview and have never been able to. I hope the rest is uploaded sometime soon!

Yeah, this is my second favorite Lucy knock out punch after the Michele Lee one on the Joan Rivers show, YOU'RE NOT GONNA READ ALL OF THAT, ARE YOU??? :lucythrill::lucythrill::lucythrill:

• 3 weeks later...

All of the women look nice, but they look older- Lucy looks svelte, sexy- hair still hair, close still lose- figure and body still petite.

I LOVE this- shows how much Lucy was a true STAR- thanks for sharing.

...Why did Lucy always accent the H lol She does it all the time. "why the hhhHHhhell!" lol

All of the women look nice, but they look older- Lucy looks svelte, sexy- hair still hair, close still lose- figure and body still petite.

I LOVE this- shows how much Lucy was a true STAR- thanks for sharing.

...Why did Lucy always accent the H lol She does it all the time. "why the hhhHHhhell!" lol

LOL. I've noticed that too. Hopefully she used breath mints, especially if she'd been eating onions or something. That could be bad. :lucythrill:

Archived