Tiger Lily and Rusty Martin

Neil

25 years separate these two clips.

Did we conclude that her "My Mother Told Me" vocals (not included here) were indeed her own?

Sure sounds like her, circa 1940. Almost too good considering her limited singing talents, but not good enough for a dubber.

The lady could sing..don't tell me they dubbed her without real proof. I loved her voice!

:lucyhmm:

I always loved Lucy's singing as well. It was entertaining and good enough. I feel as she got older it did get a little off key at times but she was a star so no one who is a fan cares. I am amazed how much Lucy's high pitch was lost between 1965 and 1974.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1335423682' post='37884]

I always thought it was her voice in Dance Girl Dance. You can just tell. I'm also a firm believer that it was Lucy's voice in Mame.

Yes, it was Lucy's voice in Mame. She even said on Merv Griffin that the girl whose voice everyone thought it to be should be offended because "No one can duplicate my voice." She, of course, was backhandedly complimenting this other girl. :)

Lucille's voice is great! Just because there aren't a huge following of people who adore her voice doesn't mean she wasn't great! I don't care for opera music..doesn't mean it sucks! Lucy's voice was one in a million..it's great. I wouldn't want to sound like everyone else and am glad she knew she was outstanding, and her fans can always tell it's her. She had a good set of lungs too! :D:peachonthebeach: :peachonthebeach:

One of my favorite versions of 'Hey Look Me Over' is for Bob Hope at the Kennedy Center Honors. The notes when she sings 'And you'll be up like a rose but high on the vine' she sounded so good. Gave me chills for some reason. But for Mame I LOVEDDDDD her voice in 'My Best Girl' Truly a unique voice.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1335686251' post='38020]

One of my favorite versions of 'Hey Look Me Over' is for Bob Hope at the Kennedy Center Honors. The notes when she sings 'And you'll be up like a rose but high on the vine' she sounded so good. Gave me chills for some reason. But for Mame I LOVEDDDDD her voice in 'My Best Girl' Truly a unique voice.

My Best Girl is perhaps (well, at least for me) her finest (song) performance in the film but I think it's because it's "married" to the visuals of her superb acting in this scene, essentially singing a love song to the little boy she never thought she'd have......and it gets me every time!

lucyblah.JPG

I also fondly remember it because on the Merv Griffin show where they showed clips before the film opened, I always thought this one stood out. lucycoy.JPG

My Best Girl is one of Lucy's vocal best in Mame. It also shoe her emotion and the scenry and lighting is perfect so it makes for a great moment in the movie. I love "Hey Look Me Over" and it is a song that was Lucy's and fit her vocal range to a tee.

I think that "We Need A Little Christmas" is Lucy's best vocally in Mame. It sounds to be the least pieced together on the soundtrack. My favorite number overall, however, is "It's Today!" - one of my very favorite moments in Lucy's whole career.

"Today" is a great,rousing upbeat start to the film which should have set the tone for the next two hours; sadly, it doesn't quite work out that way, despite several highlights -- the high-spirited main title production number chief among them --along the way! lucyhaha.JPG

My Best Girl is perhaps (well, at least for me) her finest (song) performance in the film but I think it's because it's "married" to the visuals of her superb acting in this scene, essentially singing a love song to the little boy she never thought she'd have......and it gets me every time!

lucyblah.JPG

I also fondly remember it because on the Merv Griffin show where they showed clips before the film opened, I always thought this one stood out. lucycoy.JPG

She sounded so sensational. Everytime I tear up, not only because of how remarkable she was in that very scene but also just to think that wonderful talent is gone. That gets me at times.

Thanks. Nice dress but she didn't need that vest/cape thing, it just added volume and she looked pretty trim there. I bet Bob's joke writers wrote that routine for her.

No doubt Bob's writers wrote that for her because it wasn't that funny LOL. But she pulled it off well.

Thanks. Nice dress but she didn't need that vest/cape thing, it just added volume and she looked pretty trim there. I bet Bob's joke writers wrote that routine for her.

She sang the same exact number five years earlier for Bob's 75th birthday too. I think this rendition from Bob's 80th is a little better.

Archived