Andy Griffith

rickee

Yep, its so sad :( Hate seeing all the greats go, we will miss them all

Entertainment Tonight, was a disapointment this evening. Wouldn't you think the whole half-hour should have been devoted to Andy Griffith's passing? Things sure have changed since 1988, when Lucille Ball passed away. Tom Cruise and Katy Holmes split got more coverage than Andy. Surely, that could have been put off one day! And I sure miss Larry King, who would have had a panel discussing this legendary man.

Man, June and July are proving to be bad months for beloved TV stars. So sad. :( :( :( RIP, Andy.

This whole year has been terrible for CBS 60s lineup:

- George Lindsay

- Frank Cady

- Doris :(

- Don Grady

- Richard Dawson

- Mike Wallace

- Andy

...I'm sure I'm missing two or three. And, if you want to get technical, Cleo for HL, Earl Scruggs for BHillbillies...

R.I.P. Andy. :(

Looks like Tvland replaced the I'LL marathon today with an Andy Griffith Show marathon today.

Well, that's appropriate, IMHO. Random thoughts and responses to some of the above:

Yes, ET is a shadow of its former self and it is pathetic that they'd spend twice as much time on TomKat and their contrived marriage and inevitable separation as they would on one of TV's legends. Pitiful.

Great banner -- once again -- Brock, in Andy's honor. Who's caricature artwork is that?? Very impressive.

This banner brings up one of those curiosities I often get -- and feel weird even mentioning, since it probably falls under the "is it just me but...." category but I've often wondered what someone like Griffith, Mike Connors and others in their position thought/felt when they got to appear alongside their "boss" since they and others essentially worked for La Red being residents for years at Desilu? Just wondering....

Funny we all think of Andy from his eponymous 60's series and yet in his role as Matlock, that series actually ran longer (9 seasons).

Does anyone else remember his late 70s series called "Salvage 1"?? lucyhorror.JPG

Thanks for the memories, Andy. Say "hi" to Aunt Bea and Don Knotts. Rest in peace.

professor.JPG

Great banner -- once again -- Brock, in Andy's honor. Who's caricature artwork is that?? Very impressive.

professor.JPG

Agreed. Brock does such nice work and salutes the TV greats as should the industry!

The caricature of Andy & Lucy is part of a threesome that included Danny Thomas. It was painted by Chicago Tribune staff artist, William Sajovic. Here is the original Chicago Tribune TV Week cover from May 16-22, 1964.

5.16.64_ChicTrib.jpg

Sad news. Andy was (with the possible exception of Dick Van Dyke) the biggest male tv star of the 1960's. He was terrific in MATLOCK as well. I remember that he shared the the last TV GUIDE cover of Lucy's life (although it was obviously two separate photos that had been "combined".) Hmm, just realized that with Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, and Carroll O'Connor having big success in hour-dramas during this period perhaps Lucy should have tried that as well rather than another sitcom.

Archived