Bill Asher Passed Away Today

tjw

Just heard the sad news that William ("Bill" / "Billy") Asher passed away this morning (July 16). Do not have any of the details, but know he has been ailing for a few months... He was 90. Am sure various obits and bios will be published soon...

Just wanted everyone to know...

tjw

Just heard the sad news that William ("Bill" / "Billy") Asher passed away this morning (July 16). Do not have any of the details, but know he has been ailing for a few months... He was 90. Am sure various obits and bios will be published soon...

Just wanted everyone to know...

tjw

Oh, no! :( Thanks for the news, Tom, however sad. He seemed like such a nice guy while in Jamestown and his wife, Meredith, was equally lovely.

He leaves behind a huge legacy.

R.I.P. Bill. :( :( :(

Here is the first article from MyDesert.com:

Bill Asher, director of such legendary early television shows as "I Love Lucy," "Bewitched" and "Gidget," died early today at a Palm Desert board and care facility with his wife, Meredith, by his side.

Asher had lived in La Quinta and Indian Wells since retiring from film and television in 1991. He was 90.

Asher is best remembered as the primary director of “I Love Lucy,” named by TV Guide the second best television comedy ever. But he also was nominated for four Emmy Awards for directing and producing “Bewitched” with his then-wife Elizabeth Montgomery. He won the Emmy for Best Director of that show in 1966.

Asher also directed such "beach blanket" films as "Beach Party, " "Beach Blanket Bingo” and “How To Stuff A Wild Bikini.”

A memorial service is scheduled Sept. 29 at Desert Springs Church in Palm Desert. Besides his wife, Meredith, Asher is survived by his daughters Liane Sears and Rebecca Asher, sons Brian, Bill Jr., Robert and John, four step-children, nine grandchildren and and eight step-grandchildren.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120716/LIFESTYLES0103/120716010/Famed-Love-Lucy-director-dies-Palm-Desert?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

:(

So very sad to hear about this. I hate to say "Another legend" has gone, but...I guess its expected, seeing that so many of the legends and greats were all born around the same time

and enjoyed so many prime times in their lives together. Kind of makes you forget that death is involved in the whole equation...RIP BILL ASHER

Maybe a bit off topic for this thread.. If TVGuide voted I Love Lucy the "second" best comedy... what did they choose as the number one comedy? Anyone know? Also, Bill Asher was a pioneer (along with the rest of the I Love Lucy crew) in early television.. RIP Bill.

You mean the list they did about 10 years ago? I believe Seinfeld came in first place.

Very sad to hear about Bill, I'll have a Lucy marathon in his honor later today.

:'( Seems like they are all dying!

... and Minnie, TV Guide named stupid Seinfeld the best show of all time. They did, however, acknowledge that there were more Lucy fans than there were Seinfeld fans. They named Seinfeld no. 1 supposedly because they didn't want to list all older shows as favorites, but wanted a more current mix. I don't think I ever bought a TV Guide since then.

Maybe a bit off topic for this thread.. If TVGuide voted I Love Lucy the "second" best comedy... what did they choose as the number one comedy? Anyone know? Also, Bill Asher was a pioneer (along with the rest of the I Love Lucy crew) in early television.. RIP Bill.

:'( Seems like they are all dying!

... and Minnie, TV Guide named stupid Seinfeld the best show of all time. They did, however, acknowledge that there were more Lucy fans than there were Seinfeld fans. They named Seinfeld no. 1 supposedly because they didn't want to list all older shows as favorites, but wanted a more current mix. I don't think I ever bought a TV Guide since then.

Just saw Bill Asher this year with Dann Cahn. Very sad indeed!

• 2 months later...

William Asher's granddaughter, Alexandra, has just posted a beautiful tribute to her grandfather to coincide with the Emmys:

http://www.blogher.com/memoriam-emmys-and-saying-goodbye-my-grandfather?wrap=blogher-topics/entertainment/celebrity-news&crumb=106861

Great family photos too.

I guess that means Bill will be part of the Emmy In Memoriam segment this year.

Archived