Roxbury House vs Graceland

vivfantoo*

I read an article about Graceland a few weeks ago & have been wondering something ever since. IF the Roxbury house had been turned into a museum like Graceland, complete with all the original furnishings, would it have been more popular than Elvis' home?

(Forget for a moment all the logistics that make this impossible -- everything original is gone, Gary lived there for years after his death & probably made some changes, no parking for visitors. Never mind the conniptions each neighbor & the city of Beverly Hills would have if anyone tried turning their exclusive community into a tourist trap. Or that the current owner remodeled it.)

The article said that Graceland is the 2nd most visited home in the US (the White House is 1st). I think Lucy's house would be more popular than Elvis'.

What do you think? :)

I don't necasarrily think it would've been more popular. It would be an easier destination though, more things close to Lucy's house than Graceland. Plus Graceland has that factor that Elvis died in that house and he is buried there. Holds a huge mystery in that house, I think. Also in today's standards people know who Elvis is over Lucy anyday. But it would be a huge tourist attraction. But you gotta think Jamestown isn't as close or as popular as Graceland is too. It would be a huge money maker and a great treasure trove for us fans.

Hi Annaleigh, you make some good points. Years ago I visited Graceland & was very impressed with how it was setup -- not just the house but the huge building across the street filled with his costumes, awards, etc. It would have been wonderful to have had the same tribute combination of home & exhibits for Lucy. I've always been curious about her Roxbury house, & thought, like you, what a treasure trove it would be to see it as it was when she lived there. I'm happy that at least we have the Lucy-Desi museum!

But now you've got me thinking of another question :) : IS Elvis really more well known than Lucy today? She was so popular even before Elvis appeared on the scene, her shows have been translated into numerous languages & seen all over the world. The DVDs of her series are selling well enough that season 1-5 of each series has been released. I read somewhere once that I Love Lucy has been on the air continuously for decades.

On the other hand, Elvis' music is still selling, as are tours to his house. They are both firsts in their fields & icons, to be sure.

And now a third question popped into my head :lucythrill: (Maybe our resident Lucy author knows the answer to this).

Did Lucy & Elvis ever meet?

Hi Annaleigh, you make some good points. Years ago I visited Graceland & was very impressed with how it was setup -- not just the house but the huge building across the street filled with his costumes, awards, etc. It would have been wonderful to have had the same tribute combination of home & exhibits for Lucy. I've always been curious about her Roxbury house, & thought, like you, what a treasure trove it would be to see it as it was when she lived there. I'm happy that at least we have the Lucy-Desi museum!

But now you've got me thinking of another question :) : IS Elvis really more well known than Lucy today? She was so popular even before Elvis appeared on the scene, her shows have been translated into numerous languages & seen all over the world. The DVDs of her series are selling well enough that season 1-5 of each series has been released. I read somewhere once that I Love Lucy has been on the air continuously for decades.

On the other hand, Elvis' music is still selling, as are tours to his house. They are both firsts in their fields & icons, to be sure.

And now a third question popped into my head :lucythrill: (Maybe our resident Lucy author knows the answer to this).

I heard they did meet sometime in the early 1970s and Lucy looked at Elvis and said, "What are you on, son?!" Apparently Elvis was pretty high on drugs that day and from then on he didn't like Lucy much. Strange story. lol

I don't think Elvis is more popular than Lucy or vice versa. Like Vivfantoo said, they are both the most popular in their respective fields and still sell a lot of merchandise years after their deaths.

The reason I brought Elvis being more well known is because I'm 19. The people in my age group aren't very keen with classic tv, some don't even know what the hell I Love Lucy is and if they do they only know her name is Lucy. No last name. Or if they do know of Lucy they know her from when they were young and watched Nick at Nite. But everyone, I mean everyone if you went up to them and asked who's the king of rock n roll? They will say Elvis Presley. I can say the same about The Beatles too,(I adore The Beatles, why don't they have a museum or something?) not every one will know the names of each band member but they are certainly the best band and well known band of all time. Music is the universal language, espec to the younger generations. They don't fill theirselves in with television or film history, its all about the music. I have also found many people in the teenager stage HATE black and white. No idea why.

The reason I brought Elvis being more well known is because I'm 19. The people in my age group aren't very keen with classic tv, some don't even know what the hell I Love Lucy is and if they do they only know her name is Lucy. No last name. Or if they do know of Lucy they know her from when they were young and watched Nick at Nite. But everyone, I mean everyone if you went up to them and asked who's the king of rock n roll? They will say Elvis Presley. I can say the same about The Beatles too,(I adore The Beatles, why don't they have a museum or something?) not every one will know the names of each band member but they are certainly the best band and well known band of all time. Music is the universal language, espec to the younger generations. They don't fill theirselves in with television or film history, its all about the music. I have also found many people in the teenager stage HATE black and white. No idea why.

I also find a lot of people that hate black and white so much that they refuse to even give it a chance. Most people of our generation don't know or appreciate the amazing talent that was Lucille Ball. Someone even tried to argue with me saying that "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" is a better show than "I Love Lucy." I argued him down, but it just shows the lack of respect the younger generation has for the show that paved the way for the television we watch today. I also agree that many people enjoy music a lot more than television, because people are always on the go. I've always like television more myself, but music does seem to be more popular than television. As far as I'm concerned, there should be a class in middle school for the sole purpose of educating students on who Lucille Ball is and what she did. But, some people don't seem to agree with that. :lucyshock:

I also find a lot of people that hate black and white so much that they refuse to even give it a chance. Most people of our generation don't know or appreciate the amazing talent that was Lucille Ball. Someone even tried to argue with me saying that "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" is a better show than "I Love Lucy." I argued him down, but it just shows the lack of respect the younger generation has for the show that paved the way for the television we watch today. I also agree that many people enjoy music a lot more than television, because people are always on the go. I've always like television more myself, but music does seem to be more popular than television. As far as I'm concerned, there should be a class in middle school for the sole purpose of educating students on who Lucille Ball is and what she did. But, some people don't seem to agree with that. :lucyshock:

They don't they really don't. Like when we watched To Kill A Mockingbird in school everyone is like "THIS IS SO BORING" or "BLACK AND WHITE IS SO LAME" as I sat there and enjoyed every minute of it. But in my school district in our middle school we had generation day. So history class we had each day dedicated to a different generation. Mostly 50s and 60s though. One day we had a TV day we watched an excerpt on I Love Lucy, Dragnet, and Leave it to Beaver. The next we had a music day, played Elvis music and one of the teachers who was a teen in the 50s did some popular dances from those days. I loved it, it was awesome. Then in junior year we learned about the prejudices of the 50s, the baby boom, and birth of TV. My teacher called me Lucy all year and anytime we played a history game he named my group The Ricardo's. People in my group would ask who are these Ricardo's and my history teacher just nodded and said "I should've named your group Retardos." Funny but rude all at the same time. Also we had a day where we watched "Lucy's Schedule" not only to show ILL but also the prejudices of woman in that era. That teacher was like "Annaleigh, brace yourself." LUCKILY people did laugh. Also in 5th grade my main teacher knew I loved Lucy and asked me to bring in some classic episodes in to watch since everyday we had TV time. People enjoyed it fully, thank goodness! I still have people in that class saying "Remember when Mrs Carr told you to bring in Lucy?" and I sit there proudly glad I did that. Haha. But also I got made fun of it greatly, I held my love for Lucy in for awhile after that, then decided you know what? I love Lucy screw everyone else! Haha.

But everyone knows who Elvis is, everyone knows Jailhouse Rock or Hound Dog. That's life. Music is the world to this generation. Also reality TV is too. Which is the saddest realization ever.

We should be glad though the world is still being introduced to Elvis, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc.

Only actresses or actors really well known from classic era are Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Judy Garland (who hasn't seen The Wizard of Oz?), and James Dean. Soley based on looks though.

Not saying Lucille Ball isn't as well known, she is well known. But seems as though she needs to be given more of a chance in today's generation.

Everyone that knows me knows I love Lucy but I held it in a lot, too. I remember one time I wished her a happy birthday on Facebook I think 2 years ago (I had already graduated from my small town high school) and someone from high school still had something smart to say about it. Now, I don't care, I let my Lucy flag fly! And don't get me started on reality t.v.! :lucydisgust:

Everyone that knows me knows I love Lucy but I held it in a lot, too. I remember one time I wished her a happy birthday on Facebook I think 2 years ago (I had already graduated from my small town high school) and someone from high school still had something smart to say about it. Now, I don't care, I let my Lucy flag fly! And don't get me started on reality t.v.! :lucydisgust:

So glad you did! It was one of the best things! On her birthday this year I posted a photo of her and someone said "Too bad. SHE'S DEAD." Which is one of the rudest things you can say to a super fan you know? Plus one of my friends has said that before just to give me crap, but it's still annoying and insulting in so many ways.

So glad you did! It was one of the best things! On her birthday this year I posted a photo of her and someone said "Too bad. SHE'S DEAD." Which is one of the rudest things you can say to a super fan you know? Plus one of my friends has said that before just to give me crap, but it's still annoying and insulting in so many ways.

Yeah, well, kinda hard to argue with that one, she IS dead you know, LOL! As far as the Lucy/Elvis popularity goes. they are at the top of their respective fields, she in TV and movies and he in music, he may have an edge as they have that Graceland house and like someone said, he is interred there, AND, like Monroe, his heirs are milking his likeness on everything and that music revenue NEVER stops either. I think she's a much bigger ICON though, and is always at the top of any favorite deceased celebrities lists. She was BELOVED the world over, generation after generation, and if you compare their movies, his are dreck, compared to even her weakest B movie.

I would love it if any of you would go vote for her at DEEP DISH, it's that vote for your faves to have dinner with. AND because it's a gay site, Anderson Cooper keeps beating her, but not by much, I get there through Greg in Hollywood, Deep Dish is one of the links on the right of the news items.

Yeah, well, kinda hard to argue with that one, she IS dead you know, LOL! As far as the Lucy/Elvis popularity goes. they are at the top of their respective fields, she in TV and movies and he in music, he may have an edge as they have that Graceland house and like someone said, he is interred there, AND, like Monroe, his heirs are milking his likeness on everything and that music revenue NEVER stops either. I think she's a much bigger ICON though, and is always at the top of any favorite deceased celebrities lists. She was BELOVED the world over, generation after generation, and if you compare their movies, his are dreck, compared to even her weakest B movie.

It is hard to argue with it, but way to throw it in someone's face you know? I don't think of her as deceased, she's still well and alive forever to me. To me Lucy is tops before anybody of course. She is a huge icon with loads and loads of talent and millions adore her. Elvis is just more well known I think in today's world.

It is hard to argue with it, but way to throw it in someone's face you know? I don't think of her as deceased, she's still well and alive forever to me. To me Lucy is tops before anybody of course. She is a huge icon with loads and loads of talent and millions adore her. Elvis is just more well known I think in today's world.

Well, yeah, it's like they said when she passed on . . she's gone but she's still with us, the material she left behind continues to entertain generation after generation.

I don't personally believe the Roxbury house would have eclipsed Graceland in terms of popular tourist destination. The mystique that Graceland has is that this was Elvis had lived for many, many years and the place itself has its own legend. Graceland to Elvis was like The Fotress of Solitutde to Superman. All the fans knew how special Graceland was to Elvis. All the stories that have come out of that house from the hijinx in the Jungle Room to the parties in the living room/den area...were all part of the legend. Visiting Graceland is always a special place for Elvis fans because they knew how much went on in this house, including his death.

The Roxbury house would be a cool place to visit but it just doesn't hold as much legend and mystique as Graceland. The area I probably would've wanted to have seen would have been where she played backgammon since I know how much she loved that. The closest I came was seeing her backgammon table set up at the Lucy Tribute Exhibit at Universal Studios before it was removed. That was pretty cool--along with seeing the other related Lucy artifacts.

While there isn't a house fans can visit, Jamestown to Lucy fans is what Memphis is to Elvis fans. The festival they have each year seems to be growing and growing and it's a great place to celebrate all things Lucy. I actually haven't been there yet but from what I'm seeing there each year--they seem to be expanding the festivities each year.

I don't personally believe the Roxbury house would have eclipsed Graceland in terms of popular tourist destination. The mystique that Graceland has is that this was Elvis had lived for many, many years and the place itself has its own legend. Graceland to Elvis was like The Fotress of Solitutde to Superman. All the fans knew how special Graceland was to Elvis. All the stories that have come out of that house from the hijinx in the Jungle Room to the parties in the living room/den area...were all part of the legend. Visiting Graceland is always a special place for Elvis fans because they knew how much went on in this house, including his death.

The Roxbury house would be a cool place to visit but it just doesn't hold as much legend and mystique as Graceland. The area I probably would've wanted to have seen would have been where she played backgammon since I know how much she loved that. The closest I came was seeing her backgammon table set up at the Lucy Tribute Exhibit at Universal Studios before it was removed. That was pretty cool--along with seeing the other related Lucy artifacts.

While there isn't a house fans can visit, Jamestown to Lucy fans is what Memphis is to Elvis fans. The festival they have each year seems to be growing and growing and it's a great place to celebrate all things Lucy. I actually haven't been there yet but from what I'm seeing there each year--they seem to be expanding the festivities each year.

It's like someone said at the beginning, Beverly Hills NEVER would have allowed a site to visit for tourists in the middle of Beverly Hills anyway.

Now one place that would have a chance at beating Graceland is if they re-did Neverland in honor of Michael Jackson. Make the house a little museum, got the rides back, the train, movie theatre, everything he had. Then the rest of the land for people to enjoy and walk around. They have enough money to do it and will make the money back and more.

As cool as it would be if the Roxbury house was saved, we still have Jamestown! If only the San Fernando Valley was still around. I would LOVE to see that house live and in original condition.

Now one place that would have a chance at beating Graceland is if they re-did Neverland in honor of Michael Jackson. Make the house a little museum, got the rides back, the train, movie theatre, everything he had. Then the rest of the land for people to enjoy and walk around. They have enough money to do it and will make the money back and more.

I know, imagine getting some oxygen from sleeping in his bed chamber, seeing the bones of the elephant man, playing with Bubbles the chimp, bring your kids and have them sleep in the bed together with a hologram of Michael, tired? Have the doctor on the premises put you to sleep with Provofol. The possibilities are just endless. Maybe even get visits from King, London and little Comforter.

I know, imagine getting some oxygen from sleeping in his bed chamber, seeing the bones of the elephant man, playing with Bubbles the chimp, bring your kids and have them sleep in the bed together with a hologram of Michael, tired? Have the doctor on the premises put you to sleep with Provofol. The possibilities are just endless. Maybe even get visits from King, London and little Comforter.

You would Claude, you would. We already had a disagreement on Michael before but you didn't go to far this time. :) Haha.

As cool as it would be if the Roxbury house was saved, we still have Jamestown! If only the San Fernando Valley was still around. I would LOVE to see that house live and in original condition.

Something happened to the Valley??! Jeez, it was there when I left Burbank for work this morning!! I know it ain't exactly Beverly Hills but say it ain't so!! ;):lucythrill:

Ugh I know! It's like, if you post a picture of a family member on facebook, would friends say the same thing? No, because it's rude. I know I haven't met her or wasn't a friend of hers, but I feel like I know her because I watch anything I find involving her and read her books. I look up to her, she's my idol! So if you wouldn't say it about someone else, don't say it about my Lucy! People are just so ignorant sometimes! (haha our posts have gone a little off the path of Roxbury vs. Graceland, sorry!)

You would Claude, you would. We already had a disagreement on Michael before but you didn't go to far this time. :) Haha.

Yes, i fortunately remembered our little MICHAEL wars so i subdued my post, just for you, LOL! Do the kids go to Latoya's house thinking she's their dad? She looks so much like him, the man had more work done on his face than Joan Rivers and Cher combined.

Ugh I know! It's like, if you post a picture of a family member on facebook, would friends say the same thing? No, because it's rude. I know I haven't met her or wasn't a friend of hers, but I feel like I know her because I watch anything I find involving her and read her books. I look up to her, she's my idol! So if you wouldn't say it about someone else, don't say it about my Lucy! People are just so ignorant sometimes! (haha our posts have gone a little off the path of Roxbury vs. Graceland, sorry!)

Preach it Sydney!

Yes, i fortunately remembered our little MICHAEL wars so i subdued my post, just for you, LOL! Do the kids go to Latoya's house thinking she's their dad? She looks so much like him, the man had more work done on his face than Joan Rivers and Cher combined.

Good! Hahaha!

But yes he did go toooo far on his plastic surgery. He looks like his mother too. I see a little bit of everyone EXCEPT his father, which he was going for.

Good! Hahaha!

But yes he did go toooo far on his plastic surgery. He looks like his mother too. I see a little bit of everyone EXCEPT his father, which he was going for.

I always read that he was aiming for a Diana Ross clone, but he turned out to be the ugliest white woman in show biz, but a great talent nonetheless. Having a huge honker myself, i am just jealous of anyone who gets to see pieces of his nose falling off periodically. :marionstrong:

Archived