Competition between fans

Annaleigh

Does this bother any of you? It drives me crazy! Why must people compete to be the best Lucy fan or have the biggest Lucy collection? Why can't people enjoy other fans, watch Lucy, talk Lucy, and just love Lucy! Believe it or not but I have a neighbor across the street that also has a Lucy collection. When she saw photos of my collection all she said is 'Oh. I have most of that.' Why can't we just enjoy each others collections? Plus she thinks she's Lucy. Oh! And she thinks she knows all! She didn't even know where she was buried. Lol. She's also just seems to be a fan of the Lucy character. She doesn't collect things vintage Lucy, like TV Guides and all that, mostly just things you find online or tourist spots. So do most of us, but I mostly want that vintage Lucy! Also she's been collecting way longer than me, I'm only on 10-11 years and only 19! But other than all that when I see collections I just sit in awe, see some of the things we have in common and then things I'd wish to have in the future. I know I'm a huge fan of Lucy and know her life quite well. But I will admit so many fans know way more than me, that I hope to know soon! One thing I'm glad about is I never get this vibe from any of you on here! I love you Lucy fanatics! Thanks for being more like friends than competers! Lol.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this bother any of you? It drives me crazy! Why must people compete to be the best Lucy fan or have the biggest Lucy collection? Why can't people enjoy other fans, watch Lucy, talk Lucy, and just love Lucy! Believe it or not but I have a neighbor across the street that also has a Lucy collection. When she saw photos of my collection all she said is 'Oh. I have most of that.' Why can't we just enjoy each others collections? Plus she thinks she's Lucy. Oh! And she thinks she knows all! She didn't even know where she was buried. Lol. She's also just seems to be a fan of the Lucy character. She doesn't collect things vintage Lucy, like TV Guides and all that, mostly just things you find online or tourist spots. So do most of us, but I mostly want that vintage Lucy! Also she's been collecting way longer than me, I'm only on 10-11 years and only 19! But other than all that when I see collections I just sit in awe, see some of the things we have in common and then things I'd wish to have in the future. I know I'm a huge fan of Lucy and know her life quite well. But I will admit so many fans know way more than me, that I hope to know soon! One thing I'm glad about is I never get this vibe from any of you on here! I love you Lucy fanatics! Thanks for being more like friends than competers! Lol.

Some people think they gotta prove they are the best at everything because there's something lacking in their own lives. I don't like those kinds of people and try to stay away from them. I hate that "holier than thou" attitude. :lucyshock:

Some people think they gotta prove they are the best at everything because there's something lacking in their own lives. I don't like those kinds of people and try to stay away from them. I hate that "holier than thou" attitude. :lucyshock:

I know. It's like are we 13 year olds that are Justin Bieber fans?! Hahahaha.

My huband is super into trains, all kinds and the same thing goes on there and the railfans are mostly men 60+.

Well, honey, here's one 60 plus man who couldn't care less about trains except if they could get me downtown faster. Isn't tv character Sheldon Cooper also hooked on trains? LOL!

Not me sweetie, i am always thrilled to see there are others besides US who love her dearly and appreciate her talent and legacy. I just wish all those GREAT fans who go to Jamestown would post on the net. All i own are the dvds of her shows, clips from everything she ever did and those glorious BOOKS, that's all i need. I've added a few little trinkets lately but i always eventually tire of them. I'm still pissed i never got that Lucy watch decades ago but i think they were only female watches anyway.

That's true, there sure is something lacking in my life, always has, Lucy helped raise me, she was my babysitter and like Carol Burnett once said, MY LIFE WOULD HAVE BEEN DECIDEDLY DULLER WITHOUT HER SHINING PRESENCE.

Well, honey, here's one 60 plus man who couldn't care less about trains except if they could get me downtown faster. Isn't tv character Sheldon Cooper also hooked on trains? LOL!

My husband is Sheldon Cooper. For years his geek friends told him about that show and we have finally got around to watching it.

Not me sweetie, i am always thrilled to see there are others besides US who love her dearly and appreciate her talent and legacy. I just wish all those GREAT fans who go to Jamestown would post on the net. All i own are the dvds of her shows, clips from everything she ever did and those glorious BOOKS, that's all i need. I've added a few little trinkets lately but i always eventually tire of them. I'm still pissed i never got that Lucy watch decades ago but i think they were only female watches anyway.

I adore Lucy fans all over the world. But why must it be a competition? Just love Lucy and share your love for her.

My husband is Sheldon Cooper. For years his geek friends told him about that show and we have finally got around to watching it.

I find it to be a very good comedy and i was hooked on it for a while, how can you not be, it's on all the time, BUT, i have now tired of it, have seen the reruns and the same situations much too often, it DOES NOT hold up as Lucy reruns do, Sheldon is now just annoying to me, BUT, when i watch the newer shows, i still get something out of them, all supporting players on that show deserve Emmys or at least nominations.

I find it to be a very good comedy and i was hooked on it for a while, how can you not be, it's on all the time, BUT, i have now tired of it, have seen the reruns and the same situations much too often, it DOES NOT hold up as Lucy reruns do, Sheldon is now just annoying to me, BUT, when i watch the newer shows, i still get soemthing out of them, all supporting players on that show deserve Emmys or at least nominations.

I think collections are FUN to compare, but not to take too seriously.

I dont have much of a collection of garbage pales and trash cans and all of that stuff that reproduces itself on the market today

but my god sister Zena (not the warrior princess) collects all of it. Shell uses it all, wears out her ILL tshirts and the whole thing- for her, she just

likes having the ILL show around her reminding her of the funny moments or sayings from it.

Others care to own Lucy-significant or personal items like clothing, accessories, props, scripts, pics etc. cus those personal items hold some sentimental and nostalgic values that

I assume makes the person feel more connected to Lucille Ball because she and her talent was so infectious and so warm it just draws one in! lol

So with all that said, collections are comparable, but kinda not. WHO CARES, like I say, sometimes random fan collection zeal has to be excused

I think collections are FUN to compare, but not to take too seriously.

I dont have much of a collection of garbage pales and trash cans and all of that stuff that reproduces itself on the market today

but my god sister Zena (not the warrior princess) collects all of it. Shell uses it all, wears out her ILL tshirts and the whole thing- for her, she just

likes having the ILL show around her reminding her of the funny moments or sayings from it.

Others care to own Lucy-significant or personal items like clothing, accessories, props, scripts, pics etc. cus those personal items hold some sentimental and nostalgic values that

I assume makes the person feel more connected to Lucille Ball because she and her talent was so infectious and so warm it just draws one in! lol

So with all that said, collections are comparable, but kinda not. WHO CARES, like I say, sometimes random fan collection zeal has to be excused

Agreed, many of those people are just holding those scripts and such for the value of them. Not sentimental as much as monatary.

EXACTLY. I never understood that. It's always and forever will be in fandoms. It's sad really.

aw dont leet it getchya down. At the end of the day, its only Lucy stuff, its not that serious.

We cant waste good energy, happy thoughts, and a positive state of mind just because some one wants to prove the point that they have more Lucy stuff?...

Just ignore it and let her gloat, Lucy and Ricky did it with The Applebees, and when Lucy couldn't you see where it got her loll

I adore Lucy fans all over the world. But why must it be a competition? Just love Lucy and share your love for her.

You're taking all of this a bit too seriously. People share their collection as a way to display their love for Lucy, I've posted mine for pure fun and others have shared theirs on my site. But nobody ever said, "Here's my collection, I bet it's larger than yours." You're interpreting this all wrong, it's all for fun, to compare and show our appreciation.

You're taking all of this a bit too seriously. People share their collection as a way to display their love for Lucy, I've posted mine for pure fun and others have shared theirs on my site. But nobody ever said, "Here's my collection, I bet it's larger than yours." You're interpreting this all wrong, it's all for fun, to compare and show our appreciation.

I'm not getting mad or sad. It's just immature how fans compete on who's collection is bigger, who knows more, who met the person, its all the same to all of us. We all love Lucy that's it. Trust me like I said about the person above. I love comparing collections and sharing my love for Lucy. But why rub it in my face? Ya know? Share your love, share your collections, just enjoy each other.

I just put my Lucy books and dvds in the living room and prominently displayed in the hutch on shelves, but i did this for ME, i was tired of having them in a cupboard because now i can see them instead of protecting them from dust and wear and tear. Then, i realized, hey wait a minute, i'll be dead in a few years, why not enjoy them while i have them and why not SEE THEM every day and take one out and read it or put the dvd on whenever i need a Lucy fix. A collection is to enjoy, not to hide and protect and i certainly did not put them out to show them off as any friends and relatives who come to my apartment KNOW that i'm a huge fan and they won't give it a second thought as to WHY i put them up. I'm doing this for ME, nobody else.

I just put my Lucy books and dvds in the living room and prominently displayed in the hutch on shelves, but i did this for ME, i was tired of having them in a cupboard because now i can see them instead of protecting them from dust and wear and tear. Then, i realized, hey wait a minute, i'll be dead in a few years, why not enjoy them while i have them and why not SEE THEM every day and take one out and read it or put the dvd on whenever i need a Lucy fix. A collection is to enjoy, not to hide and protect and i certainly did not put them out to show them off as any friends and relatives who come to my apartment KNOW that i'm a huge fan and they won't give it a second thought as to WHY i put them up. I'm doing this for ME, nobody else.

EXACTLY. I love my collection, everything Lucy I have is on display. I've posted photos of them on Tumblr and my mom has posted photos of it on Facebook. I've gotten compliments and likes. I've exchanged them with others because they wanted to seem them. I like that people enjoy my collection and I always love theirs equally. I'll sometimes even ask where you got a certain thing and they'll openly tell you. That's a good friendship between fans and a great way to share the love about someone we look up to. Competition is in all fandoms, it's just extremely annoying to me. Maybe that is because I'm to nice to judge someone's pride in something. :lucyblah: It's great to have people that love the same person, musician, band, TV show, etc as you as you can appreciate it all together. But that's just my personal opinion. :lucyhorror:

EXACTLY. I love my collection, everything Lucy I have is on display. I've posted photos of them on Tumblr and my mom has posted photos of it on Facebook. I've gotten compliments and likes. I've exchanged them with others because they wanted to seem them. I like that people enjoy my collection and I always love theirs equally. I'll sometimes even ask where you got a certain thing and they'll openly tell you. That's a good friendship between fans and a great way to share the love about someone we look up to. Competition is in all fandoms, it's just extremely annoying to me. Maybe that is because I'm to nice to judge someone's pride in something. :lucyblah: It's great to have people that love the same person, musician, band, TV show, etc as you as you can appreciate it all together. But that's just my personal opinion. :lucyhorror:

I'm an equal opportunity collector also, i am buying the DEXTER bobble head and the Sheldon Cooper one too, this weekend. Then, if i can find a Lucy bobble head soon, they can all have a threesome together.

I'm an equal opportunity collector also, i am buying the DEXTER bobble head and the Sheldon Cooper one too, this weekend. Then, if i can find a Lucy bobble head soon, they can all have a threesome together.

Trust me I'm equal opportunity on everything. Just saying. Lol. That's why I dislike rude people. Lol.

Archived