NEWSFLASH from NATIONAL EXAMINER

Neil

AND it makes the cover no less, with pictures:

"LIZ AND DICK HATED LUCY" sub-headline "Burton's vicious Blast!"

The story recounts Burton's impatience with Lucy during the filming of THAT show.

It's so easy for people to take Burton's side, but celebrity or not, Liz and Dick had to understand that Lucy was in charge.

The only thing current about this article is that it states that Burton's diaries will be published in the fall, where "he devoted 4 pages written about his disgust". I thought they already had, but maybe this is the complete version. Burton, by most accounts, was a hard person to work with and was certainly not used to what had to be accomplished in 4 days to prepare a half hour show for filming in front of an audience. Liz and Dick were most likely used to being pampered.

The 'news' article doesn't stop there but quotes other Lucy-hating stars: Jack Benny, John Wayne, Dean Martin and.... Joan Crawford!

Other than Joan, the main complaint is that she shoved them on to their marks, but the general tone of the article as you might guess is anti-Lucy.

Probably nothing we have not heard before -- in places like the Fidelman book...

What kills me is the fact that no attempt is made to balance the story... While one celeb may have had an awful experience, usually caused, as Neil says, by the fact that the celeb could not or would not adjust to a fast-paced four-day work week, another celeb may have had a wonderful experience... The latter, apparently, does not sell trashy newspapers...

Readers should consider the source...

Jack Benny, John Wayne, and Dean Martin did not hate Lucy! WTF? At least they got Joan Crawford right but that feeling was mutual. Wonder why they have an article out now, is it THAT slow of a news day? Lindsay isn't flashing her crotch critters to the world this week? They are hard up. :angry:

Jack Benny, John Wayne, and Dean Martin did not hate Lucy! WTF? At least they got Joan Crawford right but that feeling was mutual. Wonder why they have an article out now, is it THAT slow of a news day? Lindsay isn't flashing her crotch critters to the world this week? They are hard up. :angry:

The examiner is the weakest, trashiest of the tabloids so i expected nothing less from them, to sell newspapers, if you can call them that. In my day, when i used to buy them i mean, it was the two best ones, STAR and Enquirer, then the Globe, then the examiner and NEWS, the two worst ones.

I don't believe a lot of these stories to the extent they have been told. Watching the doc footage from Here's Lucy which includes the Burtons, you see Lucy as a dedicated worker, task masyet and someone there helping her co-stars. What might come across as bitchy is just her tone. Lucy from what I'm able to see in this footage and on many of her interviews is someone who is to the point, dosn't beat around the bush and wants to get down to business. I feel that I personally have these same qualities and it's taken me sometime to realize that this can be rather off-putting to some. Once you know me it's a diffetrent story. Life's to short, just get to the point. I am not a warm and fuzzy feeling giving person.

Probably nothing we have not heard before -- in places like the Fidelman book...

What kills me is the fact that no attempt is made to balance the story... While one celeb may have had an awful experience, usually caused, as Neil says, by the fact that the celeb could not or would not adjust to a fast-paced four-day work week, another celeb may have had a wonderful experience... The latter, apparently, does not sell trashy newspapers...

Actually, the burtons would be the first to admit that they were used to having smoke blown up their respective asses, pampered, spoiled and rarely exhibiting any acting prowess. When performing together i mean, in those long boring movies they made. For which they were paid a fortune and yet you rarely hear anything good about their many movies together, including their own MAME, Cleopatra.

AND it makes the cover no less, with pictures:

"LIZ AND DICK HATED LUCY" sub-headline "Burton's vicious Blast!"

The story recounts Burton's impatience with Lucy during the filming of THAT show.

It's so easy for people to take Burton's side, but celebrity or not, Liz and Dick had to understand that Lucy was in charge.

The only thing current about this article is that it states that Burton's diaries will be published in the fall, where "he devoted 4 pages written about his disgust". I thought they already had, but maybe this is the complete version. Burton, by most accounts, was a hard person to work with and was certainly not used to what had to be accomplished in 4 days to prepare a half hour show for filming in front of an audience. Liz and Dick were most likely used to being pampered.

The 'news' article doesn't stop there but quotes other Lucy-hating stars: Jack Benny, John Wayne, Dean Martin and.... Joan Crawford!

Other than Joan, the main complaint is that she shoved them on to their marks, but the general tone of the article as you might guess is anti-Lucy.

I'll give you crawford, the drunk, she could not act in front of an audience and was petrified but the other three adored Lucy and worked with her often, just the usual BILE to sell rags.

Excellent response, Tom; you, as one who knew Lucille well, should be commenting more often. Are YOU writing a book, by the way? I can't help but think it would be wonderfully in demand.... hi to Richard for me; such a gentleman... Fondly, Joyce Kellogg

I don't believe a lot of these stories to the extent they have been told. Watching the doc footage from Here's Lucy which includes the Burtons, you see Lucy as a dedicated worker, task masyet and someone there helping her co-stars. What might come across as bitchy is just her tone. Lucy from what I'm able to see in this footage and on many of her interviews is someone who is to the point, dosn't beat around the bush and wants to get down to business. I feel that I personally have these same qualities and it's taken me sometime to realize that this can be rather off-putting to some. Once you know me it's a diffetrent story. Life's to short, just get to the point. I am not a warm and fuzzy feeling giving person.

I hear ya, i'm the same way too, thought it was mainly a LEO trait though, what sign are YOU?

Excellent response, Tom; you, as one who knew Lucille well, should be commenting more often. Are YOU writing a book, by the way? I can't help but think it would be wonderfully in demand.... hi to Richard for me; such a gentleman... Fondly, Joyce Kellogg

O M G , your're kidding, that's T H E Mr Tom Watson????? Never knew that. :lucyhorror:

I can not believe this OLD story made it to the cover of a 2012 tabloid! It broke back in the 1980's after Burton's death and I remember Gary even made a public comment about it saying something like Burton never gave them any indication of any disatisfaction at the time.

I guess next week's cover story is going to be the big revelation that Desi cheated on Lucy a time or two or three...

I can not believe this OLD story made it to the cover of a 2012 tabloid! It broke back in the 1980's after Burton's death and I remember Gary even made a public comment about it saying something like Burton never gave them any indication of any disatisfaction at the time.

I guess next week's cover story is going to be the big revelation that Desi cheated on Lucy a time or two or three...

No, their cover is all about the fact that Liberace and Rock Hudson might have been GAY.

Other articles in the National Examiner "News":

"Boy Has Lego Piece stuck up Nose for 3 YEARS!"

"Stressed Guys Want BIG Women" quoting a study which "has shown men prefer a heavy body in a partner in poorer environments where resources are scarce" (!!??)

And in the Star sighting Page:

Rose Marie, Carol Channing, Julie Newmar and Tippi Hedren "sent the glamour meter throug the roof when the quartet shows up all at once" (does not say where....to get their AFTRA pension checks?)

Newmar is looking particularly over-sutured, but still retains a pretty good figure and posture at 79. Carol looks great for 91 and Rose Marie....well, looks so FULL.

The real surprise is 82 year old Tippi Hedren who looks wonderful and natural, though the latter is impossible because an 82 year old cannot look THAT young without help.

Other articles in the National Examiner "News":

"Boy Has Lego Piece stuck up Nose for 3 YEARS!"

"Stressed Guys Want BIG Women" quoting a study which "has shown men prefer a heavy body in a partner in poorer environments where resources are scarce" (!!??)

And in the Star sighting Page:

Rose Marie, Carol Channing, Julie Newmar and Tippi Hedren "sent the glamour meter throug the roof when the quartet shows up all at once" (does not say where....to get their AFTRA pension checks?)

Newmar is looking particularly over-sutured, but still retains a pretty good figure and posture at 79. Carol looks great for 91 and Rose Marie....well, looks so FULL.

The real surprise is 82 year old Tippi Hedren who looks wonderful and natural, though the latter is impossible because an 82 year old cannot look THAT young without help.

The four women are doing a series of panel discussions in California on the topic of being a working woman in a man's world. Here they all are at a Smithsonan event in 2008:

1.jpg

Archived