Miss Ball's Make up

Annaleigh

If I remember correctly, Lucy had to be convinced to use the "Gene Hibbs' method," and when she came out after having it applied, she asked someone, "does my mouth look like an asshole to you?" That quote was in the Desilu book!

Incidentally, Gene Hibbs worked with many veteran actresses, and he was someone who pioneered using different colored foundations on their faces and necks to achieve a youthful glow. Watch Ann Sothern in the later Lucy episodes--underneath her chin and down her neck are much darker than her actual face. Hibbs also used this method on Bette Davis in "Dead Ringer." It's especially evident on Bette when she's in outside shots, and I assume--in real life--she must've been quite a sight. Almost like she was wearing a kabuki mask!

So true - Lucy and others did wear 1 or 2 shades lighter foundation to make their faces POP under the lights.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember correctly, Lucy had to be convinced to use the "Gene Hibbs' method," and when she came out after having it applied, she asked someone, "does my mouth look like an asshole to you?" That quote was in the Desilu book!

Incidentally, Gene Hibbs worked with many veteran actresses, and he was someone who pioneered using different colored foundations on their faces and necks to achieve a youthful glow. Watch Ann Sothern in the later Lucy episodes--underneath her chin and down her neck are much darker than her actual face. Hibbs also used this method on Bette Davis in "Dead Ringer." It's especially evident on Bette when she's in outside shots, and I assume--in real life--she must've been quite a sight. Almost like she was wearing a kabuki mask!

Well, i own Dead Ringer and i have to say, his make up worked a helluva lot better on Lucy and Ann than it did on Bette.

The whole idea of the Blackglama Legend campaign (which despite today's standards towards fur is still going) was indeed to be instantly recognizable as the star they were. While it would have been great to have Lucy back as the "Queen of the Gypsies" look for the ad, in my mind, it may have been very odd for a woman of her age at that time to try and go back again...all those years later. It may have worked, but when you look at the whole campaign of amazing faces, Lucy may have stuck out like a sore thumb and regretting the decision to do it. Yes, she was known as a beautiful clown and the Queen of Comedy but to have a wacky image represent her as an older woman...just not sure. While Lee Tannen, Peter Rogers and the team wanted her to do it...I think the fact that they ended up with a glamour shot was not a bad idea at all. Let's not forget that Lucy did the glam thing for years and years and those always worked as well.

Agreed. With all that in mind, piggy backing- Lucy, ESPECIALLY at this time, was known as a legendary star. I Love Lucy, and her TV success was, IN THE 80s, only a part of her image.

She also was known as a sophisticated lady. A fine wife and mother in the public eye. She was known as a great Studio head, and considered a master at Comedy, not to mention being known for her seminars and lectures, and- I think thats what the ad was going for -the Overall image of Lucille Ball, and not just the TV clown, and I think they succeeded at doing so.

I personally think its one of Lucys best studio shots of her career! Her own hair, a Modern Smokey eye look, the near Mohawk, priceless. THE ONLY OBJECTION, is the lighting on her lips, I dont know how that passed, since they played such a huge part in her image, I tried to fill them in when drawing em, lol ,nevertheless, its a WUNDAFUL picture

Agreed. With all that in mind, piggy backing- Lucy, ESPECIALLY at this time, was known as a legendary star. I Love Lucy, and her TV success was, IN THE 80s, only a part of her image.

She also was known as a sophisticated lady. A fine wife and mother in the public eye. She was known as a great Studio head, and considered a master at Comedy, not to mention being known for her seminars and lectures, and- I think thats what the ad was going for -the Overall image of Lucille Ball, and not just the TV clown, and I think they succeeded at doing so.

I personally think its one of Lucys best studio shots of her career! Her own hair, a Modern Smokey eye look, the near Mohawk, priceless. THE ONLY OBJECTION, is the lighting on her lips, I dont know how that passed, since they played such a huge part in her image, I tried to fill them in when drawing em, lol ,nevertheless, its a WUNDAFUL picture

I agree - the lighting on her lips doesn't show them off to their full potential!

I think Dodds was gay but found love for Vivian. After all, it was quoted that Viv said "I've used muscles that I've never used before" after their honeymoon! :lucyhaha:

Just because a man had love affairs with another man prior to his marriage to Viv doesn't make him gay. He clearly loved Viv and could get it on with a woman. I wouldn't say bisexual but open-minded. Someone who prefers men but if a woman so extraordinary comes along, he would be with them and love them just the same. I know many people like that.

I find all this fascinating. Thanks for all the pics and info. Mmadluv, did you do a post on the old board about her lips? The wig thing is interesting and with the new DVD's picture quality I have often played wig, or real hair. Anyone know how often wigs were used in real life and maybe for what reason.

I believe so, they were so fun lolol

We did one on her eye brows. One of her lips, one of her eye make up.

Maybe Ill try and do it again soon, because it was so fun and so forthcoming, just breaking down the image, and seeing it for how magnificent her whole look was

Not to mention doing it for Analeigh especially, since we share the same fascination/obsession with her look lol :)

Well, that's the whole POINT of those legends pictures, and her LOOK was legend, it should have been shown intact. Of course it ws in black and white so they couldn't show the RED hair which was her trademark, but the bow lips, arched highbrows, dimples and long lashes were still there.

Just because a man had love affairs with another man prior to his marriage to Viv doesn't make him gay. He clearly loved Viv and could get it on with a woman. I wouldn't say bisexual but open-minded. Someone who prefers men but if a woman so extraordinary comes along, he would be with them and love them just the same. I know many people like that.

He went back to men the minute she passed away also. He was definitely G A Y but made one exception and i've been there, done that got the T shirt and get it completely. A woman who actually turns on a gay guy has to have something really special.

Never heard that. I just know that Phil Ober was a wifebeater. :lucyshock:

I'm not sure but i thought i read she went down that gay road before. As for phil, I think the mental beatings he gave her might even have been worse than the physical ones. A person with mental issues should not keep hearing she's worthless, and that her chumminess with Lucy makes everyone think they're lezzies. I think that took a bigger toll on Viv than any physical damage he caused her over the years. And the guy was living off of her on top of all that.

The moment you find an understanding person like that, give them my email STAT! :)

The moment you find an understanding person like that, give them my email STAT! :)

Yeah, news to us huh Lam? Having sex with men before you marry a woman no longer makes you gay, you're just like FLEXIBLE, LOL! Just to get this back on topic, Lucy had very flexible skin, it had to be to endure make up for like sixty years or more. :lucythrill:

I have a couple of friends that have those views whether gay or straight. I even believe in that and I love me some men. But if a woman blew me away with her personality and all that jazz I would be so willing. People are people could careless about the sex of the person.

Yeah, news to us huh Lam? Having sex with men before you marry a woman no longer makes you gay, you're just like FLEXIBLE, LOL! Just to get this back on topic, Lucy had very flexible skin, it had to be to endure make up for like sixty years or more. :lucythrill:

Not saying he wasnt homosexual. He clearly preferred men but fell in love with a woman and wanted to be with her for 18 years and I'm sure longer if she didn't pass away. Nothing wrong with that. He was open minded.

Are you guys SURE Lucy even wore make up, she always seemed to have that NATURAL look, especially in her later years. I think her big mistake was taking lessons on make up application from Boffo the clown while she appeared on Greatest Show on Earth.

Any photos of her natural in the 80s?

Any photos of her natural after 1970?! Haha.

Archived