Popping the Lucille Bubble

Irene Kampen Tripp

Some of my friends love .. LOVE to tear Lucille down.. (most of the time jokingly just to get a reaction from me).... HOWEVER.. I was told a while back (about 2 weeks ago) about a Lucy story that wasn't the most flattering toward Miss Ball.

It seems there was a kid (must have been back in the 70's or early 80's) who went up to Miss Ball.. who was signing pictures and autographs.. (don't know why.. she just was) and when this kid approached her with his picture of her (and it was his property.. a photo taken at some award ceremony).. When he gave it to her to sign.. she looked at it.. and complained that it was a lousy shot of her (maybe not professional quality or something she didn't approve .. or maybe showed her in unflattering light.. i dunno.. ).. Lucille ripped the picture in pieces and sent the kid on his way...

Wow.. I heard she was a bitch.. but wow.. a kid's photograph?? But then again.. when I see unflattering pictures of myself.. I rip em up.. so I can't really fault her! Any other stories to share?? Or do you believe this story??

Some of my friends love .. LOVE to tear Lucille down.. (most of the time jokingly just to get a reaction from me).... HOWEVER.. I was told a while back (about 2 weeks ago) about a Lucy story that wasn't the most flattering toward Miss Ball.

It seems there was a kid (must have been back in the 70's or early 80's) who went up to Miss Ball.. who was signing pictures and autographs.. (don't know why.. she just was) and when this kid approached her with his picture of her (and it was his property.. a photo taken at some award ceremony).. When he gave it to her to sign.. she looked at it.. and complained that it was a lousy shot of her (maybe not professional quality or something she didn't approve .. or maybe showed her in unflattering light.. i dunno.. ).. Lucille ripped the picture in pieces and sent the kid on his way...

Wow.. I heard she was a bitch.. but wow.. a kid's photograph?? But then again.. when I see unflattering pictures of myself.. I rip em up.. so I can't really fault her! Any other stories to share?? Or do you believe this story??

Oh God, of course another "Lucy was a giant c***" story. She did say it was an unflattering pic (it was a stock photo, not a pic the kid had taken). She picked up a better one that she liked and signed it for him. She didn't rip it up and tell him to f*** off. What a load of BS. :lucyshock::angry:

Do you actually believe these kinds of stories? Lucy was always very grateful to her fans and very polite when they approached her for autographs. She felt it was her duty to give them what they wanted, after all without them she wouldn't have become famous. So no, the story isn't true and anyone who perpetuates such crap as the truth is a tardo.

Nuff said.

The bigger the star the more people who try to knock them down. You will not find anybody famous in show business who doesn't have people gossiping about them and trashing them and probably in 99 percent of the cases the story is not true and they've never even met the star. And often the tale of terror is some stupid little story like this one. Even if it were true is that really so horrendous? Do these people cry when cashiers slightly snap at them, someone refuses to let them pass, or sales clerks ignore them for them to think a star being less than best-friendly is so awful? It's pretty presumptous in the first place to walk up to a stranger (albeit a star) and expect them to give you something that is worth money (and don't kid yourself into not thinking the majority of autograph collectors aren't aware of that and are eventually hoping to sell it). Mind you, I love autographs myself and would certainly have asked Lucy for one if I had ever met her but one has to realize the star does not owe anyone ANYTHING. And there are plenty of stars I can assure you who will not sign certain items and certain photos.

There's as much jealousy out there as adoration for the very famous stars if not more so. Click on any star's board at Internet Movie Database and you'll no doubt read scores of posts full of venom. Look at Tom Cruise, just what has this guy done that is so terrible other than acting like a hammy actor on a talk show once yet a lot of people trash him like he's public menace #1. Lucy gets raked over the coals by her "non-fans" like she was Cruella De Ville on wheels and really what did she ever do that was controversial other than insisting guest stars act professional and give their best on her show which they should have done in the first place.

Oh God, of course another "Lucy was a giant c***" story. She did say it was an unflattering pic (it was a stock photo, not a pic the kid had taken). She picked up a better one that she liked and signed it for him. She didn't rip it up and tell him to f*** off. What a load of BS. :lucyshock::angry:

Do you actually believe these kinds of stories? Lucy was always very grateful to her fans and very polite when they approached her for autographs. She felt it was her duty to give them what they wanted, after all without them she wouldn't have become famous. So no, the story isn't true and anyone who perpetuates such crap as the truth is a tardo.

Nuff said.

Hear Hear and that's all I'm saying on this issue! What a load of crap!

Only half true... I was standing right next to her at the time...

The fellow handed her a very unflattering papparazzi shot that had been blown up to 8x10 size, very grainy... and she gasped... She very politely asked him where he had gotten it, and he said in a movie memorabilia shop up on Hollywood Boulevard. (Another gasp!) She (again very politely) asked if he wouldn't rather have her sign and send him a copy of one of her regular pictures, and he said yes... At which point she ripped the offending photo into pieces... He gave us his name and address, and the following day Lucy signed a beautiful photo and had Wanda, her secretary, send it to the fellow...

And, as Edith Ann would say, that's the truth!

Tjw

The fellow handed her a very unflattering papparazzi shot that had been blown up to 8x10 size, very grainy... and she gasped... She very politely asked him where he had gotten it, and he said in a movie memorabilia shop up on Hollywood Boulevard. (Another gasp!) She (again very politely) asked if he wouldn't rather have her sign and send him a copy of one of her regular pictures, and he said yes... At which point she ripped the offending photo into pieces... He gave us his name and address, and the following day Lucy signed a beautiful photo and had Wanda, her secretary, send it to the fellow...

Tjw

Very nice of you to debunk that load of crap. Now, could you do the same for moron thompson's and little herbie kenwith, why are they both such bitchmen when talking about her?

Tjw

See, I knew I had heard the real story somewhere. Thanks, Tom, for clearing it up a little better. :marionstrong:

Tjw

Thank goodness someone was there to clarify. But the true story seems like a true gesture of who she was. She loved her fans, no way she would've done something that downright rude.

Tjw

Thank you Mr. Watson! I can't wait to tell my friend the truth.. I KNEW he got it from a drama QUEEN!!! So glad you gave me the background on this topic. THANKS VERY MUCH

Thanks, Tom.

Now, can you clear up the stories that my Boss is convinced are true, that Lucy was a "drunk." I like to tell her otherwise, but my boss is sure knows better because she "has friends that knew her." HA.

Oh, she also tells a horrible story about Viv. My boss needs to get a better hobby. :unsure:

Thanks, Tom.

Now, can you clear up the stories that my Boss is convinced are true, that Lucy was a "drunk." I like to tell her otherwise, but my boss is sure knows better because she "has friends that knew her." HA.

Oh, she also tells a horrible story about Viv. My boss needs to get a better hobby. :unsure:

Lemme guess, she has a friend who knows Lucy's gardener's nephew's uncle's brother's neighbor's son, right?

She's probably 'confused' after seeing Vitameatavegamin. LOL. Ridiculous. Lucy enjoyed a drink now and then but she certainly was no drunk.

I'm the son of an alcoholic and that's why i don't drink, Lucy lived with one for twenty years or so, she certainly would not do what she criticized HIM for doing.

• 5 weeks later...

Tjw

I just came across this letter from Eve Arden on eBay and I thought it was interesting that she did more or less the same thing -- in the most courteous way, of course -- when a fan sent her a letter to be autographed:

$T2eC16dHJHoE9n3KgJIKBQYPog6RWQ~~60_57.JPG

(Also of note: Her complete lack of judgement over Grease II. LOL)

I just came across this letter from Eve Arden on eBay and I thought it was interesting that she did more or less the same thing -- in the most courteous way, of course -- when a fan sent her a letter to be autographed:

$T2eC16dHJHoE9n3KgJIKBQYPog6RWQ~~60_57.JPG

(Also of note: Her complete lack of judgement over Grease II. LOL)

I was about to say!! marionstrong.gif Probably because her part was bigger, that's my inkling. Wouldn't you love to have seen the 2 pics to compare?? lucyshock.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Like I have said before.. my friends like to take Lucille down a peg ( I am sure it is in response to my CONSTANT talking about her ).. I remember watching MAME with my buds and commenting on how high Lucille could kick her legs.. especially in the MAIN MAME NUMBER.. and my friends said.. "AW.. she paid those chorus girls 50 bucks a piece to kick lower than her!" AND for the record.. this was back in the day when I hung around straight guys often.. when I realized I was gay.. I was GLAD many appreciated Lucille.. couldn't understand why my buds from high school never quite got her (talk about denile!)

Like I have said before.. my friends like to take Lucille down a peg ( I am sure it is in response to my CONSTANT talking about her ).. I remember watching MAME with my buds and commenting on how high Lucille could kick her legs.. especially in the MAIN MAME NUMBER.. and my friends said.. "AW.. she paid those chorus girls 50 bucks a piece to kick lower than her!" AND for the record.. this was back in the day when I hung around straight guys often.. when I realized I was gay.. I was GLAD many appreciated Lucille.. couldn't understand why my buds from high school never quite got her (talk about denile!)

Boy, you have a lot of dumbass friends! LOL :marionstrong:

Archived