Popping the Lucille Bubble

Irene Kampen Tripp

Like I have said before.. my friends like to take Lucille down a peg ( I am sure it is in response to my CONSTANT talking about her ).. I remember watching MAME with my buds and commenting on how high Lucille could kick her legs.. especially in the MAIN MAME NUMBER.. and my friends said.. "AW.. she paid those chorus girls 50 bucks a piece to kick lower than her!" AND for the record.. this was back in the day when I hung around straight guys often.. when I realized I was gay.. I was GLAD many appreciated Lucille.. couldn't understand why my buds from high school never quite got her (talk about denile!)

Again, maybe just straight dinosaurs who just cannot take a strong powerful woman, Lucy dealt with idiots like that her whole life. Gay men however gravitate towards and admire strong independent women.

Like I have said before.. my friends like to take Lucille down a peg ( I am sure it is in response to my CONSTANT talking about her ).. I remember watching MAME with my buds and commenting on how high Lucille could kick her legs.. especially in the MAIN MAME NUMBER.. and my friends said.. "AW.. she paid those chorus girls 50 bucks a piece to kick lower than her!" AND for the record.. this was back in the day when I hung around straight guys often.. when I realized I was gay.. I was GLAD many appreciated Lucille.. couldn't understand why my buds from high school never quite got her (talk about denile!)

That's unusual that you have friends who like to take Lucy down a peg. They are just jealous! I mean, I thought most people like Lucy. I know that it used to be embarrassing to love ABBA back in the 90's and people either loved them or hated them but never heard that about Lucy.

That's unusual that you have friends who like to take Lucy down a peg. They are just jealous! I mean, I thought most people like Lucy. I know that it used to be embarrassing to love ABBA back in the 90's and people either loved them or hated them but never heard that about Lucy.

That idiot at Sitcoms Online, brain damage, what an appropriate name huh? He used to call her a communist, can you imagine, that's what he remembered the most about her, being an army veteran.

If that's what comes to mind when the name Lucille Ball comes up, that's pretty sad! :lucyshock:

[/quoteNo, it wasn't really that, he only lashed out to me about that as i had just said something negative about his racist and idiotic ignorant views of the right. So, it wasn't about knocking Lucy as much as getting back at ME. I think his real name is brian, i just feel that brain damage describes him so much better.

Now that's why you can't judge a person's preference and what they are a fan of. Like I get shat on for my Gaga love, Backstreet Boys love, Michael Jackson love, use to for my Lucy love. You can't tell a fan that there is something wrong with someone they idolize, it's just wrong. One thing I never understood.

Welllllllllllllllllllll, as is the case with Michael, some people may have issues with the things that happened in his life that they find troubling, so as his fan, it's your job to make them understand that his talent superceded some of his quirks and you sorta succeeded with me, also, time plays a factor and the realization that it's certainly not up to me to judge the man as i wouldn't want anyone judging me. Never thought of this but maybe OUR fawning over Lucy is looked upon the same way by people the way i looked at him.

Welllllllllllllllllllll, as is the case with Michael, some people may have issues with the things that happened in his life that they find troubling, so as his fan, it's your job to make them understand that his talent superceded some of his quirks and you sorta succeeded with me, also, time plays a factor and the realization that it's certainly not up to me to judge the man as i wouldn't want anyone judging me. Never thought of this but maybe OUR fawning over Lucy is looked upon the same way by people the way i looked at him.

Ooooh yes, the old Lounge and that Michael issue with us. He was and continues to be extremely misunderstood.

But with Lucy I've looked at some random blogs with threads about her and I was disgusted by the crap that was said. Like did they just make this shit up on their lunch break? I could not believe it. I have no idea how any one can judge something they know nothing about. Like Gaga for instance people think she is the leader of the illuminati and her Little Monsters are her cult. Are you kidding me?! People need to read into things before saying any damn thing you want. It's degrading to people who care and know their information, plus the actual idol.

You should have been around back in the day, when this lady, Jane, who i used to love, said everything without worrying. She started this thread with a very provocative title, WAS LUCY A SLUT? I know you must be mortified just reading this but it was one of THE most interesting Lucy threads ever. Everybody knows that Hollywood dames did it all, slept with everybody, it was no big secret back then, maybe only when they had babies or abortions, that they kept quiet. Every major Hollywood star has some skeletons in their closet, or they were IN the closet themselves, or they slept with this one or that one to get ahead. I'll betcha Kate Smith and Pat Boone even had them, LOL!

You should have been around back in the day, when this lady, Jane, who i used to love, said everything without worrying. She started this thread with a very provocative title, WAS LUCY A SLUT? I know you must be mortified just reading this but it was one of THE most interesting Lucy threads ever. Everybody knows that Hollywood dames did it all, slept with everybody, it was no big secret back then, maybe only when they and babies or abortions, that they kept quiet. Every major Hollywood star has some skeletons in their closet, or they were IN the closet themselves, or they slept with this one or that one to get ahead. I'll betcha Kate Smith and Pat Boone even had them, LOL!

Ah, the good old "Was Lucy a Slut?" thread. I'm being totally un-sarcastic when I say that was, and remains, one of my favorite discussions ever. LOL.

So start a new one then, if anybody can do it well and keep it going with revelations and interesting comments it is YOU, one of my all time faves here or anywhere else where Lucy is discussed.

Ah, the good old "Was Lucy a Slut?" thread. I'm being totally un-sarcastic when I say that was, and remains, one of my favorite discussions ever. LOL.

You should have been around back in the day, when this lady, Jane, who i used to love, said everything without worrying. She started this thread with a very provocative title, WAS LUCY A SLUT? I know you must be mortified just reading this but it was one of THE most interesting Lucy threads ever. Everybody knows that Hollywood dames did it all, slept with everybody, it was no big secret back then, maybe only when they and babies or abortions, that they kept quiet. Every major Hollywood star has some skeletons in their closet, or they were IN the closet themselves, or they slept with this one or that one to get ahead. I'll betcha Kate Smith and Pat Boone even had them, LOL!

I'm intrigued now!

So start a new one then, if anybody can do it well and keep it going with revelations and interesting comments it is YOU, one of my all time faves here or anywhere else where Lucy is discussed.

LOL that might do more harm than good. :marionstrong: But thanks for the compliments, Claude! You're sweet. :)

• 8 months later...

This was just posted on the Lucille Ball Tribute Page on Facebook:

Lucie Arnaz was originally considered to play the role of Rizzo in the 1978 film adaptation of Grease? Producer, Alan Carr wanted her to do a screen test first, but Lucy wouldn't allow it arguing, "I used to own this studio. My daughter doesn't have to test!". Unfortunately, that resulted in Lucie not getting the screen test nor the part. It went to Stockard Channing instead when she walked in the following Monday. And the rest is as they say, "history".

This is bullshit, right? They're posting it as fact which disturbs me.

Yeah, METv's page had some wrong facts up the other week too.

Yeah, as if Lucy would do something like that. She let her kids do their own things with regard to their careers, she didn't want to be a stage mother. Arrghh, see what I'm talking about with ignorance? LOL

This was just posted on the Lucille Ball Tribute Page on Facebook:

Lucie Arnaz was originally considered to play the role of Rizzo in the 1978 film adaptation of Grease? Producer, Alan Carr wanted her to do a screen test first, but Lucy wouldn't allow it arguing, "I used to own this studio. My daughter doesn't have to test!". Unfortunately, that resulted in Lucie not getting the screen test nor the part. It went to Stockard Channing instead when she walked in the following Monday. And the rest is as they say, "history".

This is bullshit, right? They're posting it as fact which disturbs me.

This is on Lucie's IMDB page and it is incorrect. Lucie has said that her mother never got involved in her career like this. What really happened was that Lucie was offered the role of Rizzo by Allan Carr. Carr said that the role was hers, but just as a formality she had to do an audition for the head of the studio. Lucie did and the studio head supposedly liked her for the part, but they were taking a while to actually give her a contact to sign. Lucie was already committed to do a summer stock production of Bye, Bye Birdie and told the Grease people that they had to give her a guaranteed commitment so she could buy out of her Bye, Bye Birdie contract. The Grease team didn't have a firm offer in time, so Lucie did Bye, Bye Birdie instead. Stockard Channing, who had just starred with Lucie in the play Vanities, was cast.

This is on Lucie's IMDB page and it is incorrect. Lucie has said that her mother never got involved in her career like this. What really happened was that Lucie was offered the role of Rizzo by Allan Carr. Carr said that the role was hers, but just as a formality she had to do an audition for the head of the studio. Lucie did and the studio head supposedly liked her for the part, but they were taking a while to actually give her a contact to sign. Lucie was already committed to do a summer stock production of Bye, Bye Birdie and told the Grease people that they had to give her a guaranteed commitment so she could buy out of her Bye, Bye Birdie contract. The Grease team didn't have a firm offer in time, so Lucie did Bye, Bye Birdie instead. Stockard Channing, who had just starred with Lucie in the play Vanities, was cast.

Thanks, Harry. ;)

Archived