Lucy on "Donnie & Marie"

Brock

I adore her wig during this appearance! Very different. And oh yes the Mae West bit! How can one be so spectacular? Lol.

The only annoying thing about the number is those frequent cutaways to the grinning Osmonds reacting to her number, looks like a TOOTH festival or something. :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

Yes, the Osmonds need to be hit in the face with a very large stick. So annoying. :peachonthebeach:

Or as Woody Allen says in Annie Hall when they're standing in a movie line and some guy is expounding about Marshall McCluen:

"What I wouldn't give for a giant sock filled with manure!"

Although, while no threat to Carol Burnett, I think the Osmonds are not TOO bad in their skits...

Talk about making sirloin out of hamburger, Lucy certainly rises to the occasion in this appearance. Too late for the Mame arrangements, but the background singers are a big help to her musical talents.

Didn't the "No Business Like Show Business" segment get cut when they released this on a Here's Lucy set? Irving Berlin's estate probably wanted too much for the rights.

I've stated this before, but "Leading Lady" got an Emmy nomination as Best Original Song, one of two nominated songs introduced by Lucy.

Or as Woody Allen says in Annie Hall when they're standing in a movie line and some guy is expounding about Marshall McCluen:

"What I wouldn't give for a giant sock filled with manure!"

I've stated this before, but "Leading Lady" got an Emmy nomination as Best Original Song, one of two nominated songs introduced by Lucy.

Well, what do you expect, this woman taught Merman how to sing! What was the other song that got nominated? Always loved that song she did with Ann Margret on HER special. By the way, talking about old variety programs, the other day i said on a post that Sonny and Cher's shows did not hold up well, i was wrong, i loved those, they are saved by Cher's presence, it was the two volumes of Rowan and Martin's Laugh In that i was only able to get through two shows and then got bored as they did not hold up at all.

Well, what do you expect, this woman taught Merman how to sing! What was the other song that got nominated? Always loved that song she did with Ann Margret on HER special.

Oh man, one of my favorite Lucy tv appearances outside of her series! So good, it should shut anyone up who says she couldn't sing.

Love hearing all that 30s/40s stars name dropping and this was right before the nostalgia boom of the early 70s! We need to watch that one again though to get some more names for our classy ladies lists :lucycoy:

The other nominated song was Comedy Ain't No Joke which is Lucy's best post Here's Lucy performance besides Stone Pillow. Leading Lady too has Lucy looking much younger than she is. Lucy is such a great dancer and comedian here and her singing is enjoyable. You can see Lucy relax and enjoy herself during these musical productions (Leading Lady, Comedy, and Autograph Annie) All are great numbers. I find the Osmonds okay in the skits but they do stare too much at Lucy at the beginning but maybe they were nervous having such a big star in front of them. Check out on Youtube the Wizard of Oz number with Lucy, Ray Bolger and them. It is very strange but comical spoof.

I like Joanna Kearns. LOL And Leonardo Di Caprio didn't do so bad for himself. HAHA

Not to mention that greatest of thespians, kirk "head Christian" cameron. He's busy hating people nowadays. Every time he says something stupid in his crusade against gay people i remember Lucy smashing that pie in his face. :marionstrong:

The other nominated song was Comedy Ain't No Joke which is Lucy's best post Here's Lucy performance besides Stone Pillow. Leading Lady too has Lucy looking much younger than she is. Lucy is such a great dancer and comedian here and her singing is enjoyable. You can see Lucy relax and enjoy herself during these musical productions (Leading Lady, Comedy, and Autograph Annie) All are great numbers. I find the Osmonds okay in the skits but they do stare too much at Lucy at the beginning but maybe they were nervous having such a big star in front of them. Check out on Youtube the Wizard of Oz number with Lucy, Ray Bolger and them. It is very strange but comical spoof.

The staring was not their idea, it was planned that way, why the hell did we need to see their smirking faces anyhoo? :lucydisgust:

Oh man, one of my favorite Lucy tv appearances outside of her series! So good, it should shut anyone up who says she couldn't sing.

Love hearing all that 30s/40s stars name dropping and this was right before the nostalgia boom of the early 70s! We need to watch that one again though to get some more names for our classy ladies lists :lucycoy:

That whole COULN'T sing business was due to the constant references on ILL that were in there for comedic purposes only.

I know, i thought of that today, we did not list many of them who starred with her over the years, Ida Lupino to name just one.

Well, what do you expect, this woman taught Merman how to sing! What was the other song that got nominated? Always loved that song she did with Ann Margret on HER special. By the way, talking about old variety programs, the other day i said on a post that Sonny and Cher's shows did not hold up well, i was wrong, i loved those, they are saved by Cher's presence, it was the two volumes of Rowan and Martin's Laugh In that i was only able to get through two shows and then got bored as they did not hold up at all.

"Comedy is No Joke" was the other song. Pretty impressive record for a non-singer.

I was never a big "Sonney and Cher" fan when it was on, but maybe I should give it another look.

Got my "Van Dyke and Company" disc today. And yes, Harry, I did notice that on the "Let's Talk to Lucy" interview, she pronounced his "Dick Van Dyke" show character Pee-trie and Dick, ever the gentleman pronounced it that way too, to avoid embarrassing her I guess.

Dick certainly had plenty of talent for a variety show, so....why does this one miss the mark? I think because it has that manufactured phoney feel that killed variety shows. Only "Carol Burnett" kept that LIVE feeling intact because she insisted that it be taped in sequence with very little time in between--like she had learned on "The Garry Moore Show". I attended 2 or 3 Carol Burnett tapings and they were the entire show and never longer than 90 mintes. By the time of "Van Dyke" (76 or 77?), the producers took the easy way out: rehearsing the show one segment at a time, taping it, sometimes with an audience, sometimes without (and adding audience response that was TOO enthusiastic); and then piecing the product together. Like the difference between live singing and pre-recorded vocals they didn't think we would notice the difference. Even as a kid, I could tell there was something off.

"Van Dyke" won the Emmy as Best Variety Series and I remember Dick's 'you're kidding??' reaction caught on camera as it was announced, because the series had long been canceled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived