Here's Lucy - No Emmy - Why?!

Perhaps someone can enlighten us about the Emmy nominating rules. For Comedy Actress, sometimes there's 3,4 or (in 67-68) 5. I would assume there hasn't to be a certain number of total votes before you're nominated.

The fact that the winners in the top series acting categories in 66-67 and 67-68 caused a bit of a stir. There was talk of changing the Emmy rules to prevent repeat winners. I think Lucy's 68 win caused an unfair backlash against her, especially since the favored nominee Paula Prentiss was so fresh and new and Lucy was considered an old war horse who had won her share, as if she should step aside for someone younger. Of the 4 66-67,67-68 repeat winners, 2 won again in 68-69 and the other winner Bill Cosby's show I Spy had been canceled, so really only Lucy suffered.

1966 to 1970 were NOT good years for comedy on television, evidence by the nominees (winner listed first)

Best Comedy Actress:

1968-69 Hope Lange, Barbara Feldon, Diahann Carroll, Marlo Thomas, Eliz Montgomery

1969-70 Hope, Marlo, Liz

IMO the most glaring omission is the exclusion of the only two women (besides Lucy) who gave us actual COMEDY; Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard of the Mothers In Law. Especially Kaye who I appreciate much more since getting the MIL DVDs last year. She brings much needed energy and a uniqueness that should have been rewarded---with more work at least. Granted MIL was not ground-breaking comedy and could be a bit creaky at times, but you can't fault the two leads.

Nothing against any of these fine women, I would have picked Marlo over Hope. I loved Liz in the early years of Bewitched but by this time the show was already tired (and had 3 seasons to go!) and Liz was mugging and overacting. Hope was appealing but G&Mrs.Muir did not tax anyone's talents. One Emmy maybe, but TWO??

Best Comedy:

68-69 Get Smart, Bewitched, Family Affair, Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Julia

Was GS in its 4th and final NBC year that good? I would guess not. G&Mrs.M had an intriguing concept but it was not one that made for a good series. however it did give us Reta Shaw. Charles Nelson Reilly had the bulk of the comedy in a Mrs. Kravitz like role. Family Affair: REALLY?, I don't know what the fuss was about Julia other than a "colored woman" (which is what Julia called herself in the first episode) was the star of a show. It dealt, very superficially, with race issues so was considered 'relevant', but a comedy? "Julia" faded very quickly after its first high-profile season.

69-70 My World and Welcome To It, Courtship of Eddie's Father, Room 222, Bill Cosby Show, Love American Style

The one-season My World was 'innovative' in that it incorporated James Thurber drawings within the show, but I don't remember ever seeing it. Bill Cosby's first sitcom would have been my pick. In this one he played a PE teacher in this laugh-track-less sitcom perfectly suited to his talents. (By the time of "the Cosby Show" I found him very hard to take). It too fell out of ratings and Emmy favor the next year and was gone after its 2 seasons and I'm not sure why. The other 3 entries, all on ABC, made me cringe. Room 222 was hip and relevant, but a comedy? I don't remember it as such. Courtship and LoveAm: BLEEEHH!

Here's Lucy for all its shortcomings was as good or better than the other nominees in this comedy desert. And more importantly, Lucille Ball's performances were on a par with any of the nominees, because (with the possible exception of Marlo), these ladies simply read their lines, ably but uninspired, because their series gave them no outlet for an actual comedy performance, though Liz aimed for one, but missed!

I don't think these shows and nominees were bad at all, enjoyed them all (except for Room 222 which I didn't watch) some more than others: My World and Welcome to It was terrific, loved The Ghost and Mrs. Muir although I haven't seen either show in 40 years so I don't know how they would play now. Julia was ok and Dinahann Carroll was very appealing on it, not a taxing role but certainly many another later tv star got nominated largely because their show was popular and sometimes even won (Tom Selleck best actor???) loved Barbara Feldon on Get Smart, a well-deserved nomination, always loved Marlo and Elizabeth, they were excellent on their shows, if the scripts often weren't that good, well that's true for Here's Lucy as well. Hope Lange probably had an Emmy edge with her previously established reputation as an actress on film and stage but I thought she was wonderful as Mrs. Muir and deserved at least one Emmy win. I would agree though that the nominees essentially were no better than Here's Lucy - or The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, The Andy Griffith Show, The Doris Day Show, Petticoat Junction, and other popular shows of the day (and some semi-popular shows like The Mothers-in-law or The Debbie Reynolds Show) it's just, as has been noted, they had a more youthful or hip edge that made them more appealing to Emmy voters.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlo Thomas was not nominated for an Emmy during the 1968-69 season. It was just Hope Lange, Barbara Feldon, Diahann Carroll and Elizabeth Montgomery. The winner was Hope Lange (a good actress but not deserving of an Emmy.) If anyone deserved an Emmy it was Elizabeth Montgomery who was nominated five times for "Bewitched" and nominated for TV Movies "Lizzie Borden," "A Case of Rape," and "The Awakening Land," not to mention her first Emmy nomination for The Untouchables in the eary 60's. Today, its okay to nominate Betty White (who I love) for every stupid thing she does. Betty got an Emmy nomination for Off Thier Rockers as Best Reality Show Host (PLEASEEEEEEE) and she won an Emmy for "The Pet Set" a daytime show as Best Hostess. Betty White getting the SAG Award for Hot In Cleveland was one of the biggest jokes. The show is terrible. Mary Tyler Moore was another Emmy darling winning two during the 73-74 season for Best Comedy Actress and Actress of the Year. Actress of the Year was a new category. The following year the category was dropped because it was just plain stupid. They pitted Mary Tyler Moore against Michael Learned of "The Waltons." Mary won. Mary Tyler Moore got way too many Emmy nominations: two for The Dick Van Dyke Show (and she wasn't the lead in the show/she was a supporting character and seven nominations for her own show. I think Lucy was the one who got a backlash for winning a 4th Emmy in 1967-68. Lucille Ball should have won her third Emmy for the first season of "The Lucy Show" and Vivian Vance should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress. In 1962-63 Lucille Ball's big comeback resulted in one Emmy nomination for Best Actress In A Comedy. Lucy was runner-up to Shirley Booth of "Hazel." But what really gets me mad was that Lucy & Vivian (supporting actress) was shut out of the race during the 1963-64 season. The nomineesfor Best Actress in A Comedy were Irene Ryan (Beverly Hillbillies), Mary Tyler Moore (Dick Van Dyke), Shirley Booth (Hazel), Patty Duke (Patty Dyke Show) and Inger Stevens (The Farmer's Daughter.) Mary won.

The Actress of the Year and similar categories existed in 1973-74 because the Emmys had planned to cut back their awards like they did back in the bad old days of the early 1960's and not award by genre (comedy, drama). Several promenient stars announced plans to boycott the awards because of this decision (including I believe Mary Tyler Moore) so the traditional comedy and drama categories were quickly tacked back on, trouble is everybody knew who the winners of THOSE were in advance since the winner had already been announced as advancing to the "actress of the year" and the like category. It was a big mess that year and as I seem to recall (wasn't even a teenager then) only the winners showed up since the nominees already knew they had lost.

As for Betty White, I say give her all the Emmy nods and awards she can handle!! I don't think she - or Mary Tyler Moore - have received too many Emmy awards or nominations, even though Lucy didn't receive enough. I suspect the problem there is a lot of people even in the industry thought Lucy won far more Emmys than she did - there weren't any books on Emmy history before the 1980's - and that might have hurt her chances in later years.

Honestly, my big Emmy problem with their handling of Lucy is not concerning her later shows but the shameful way they failed to honor I LOVE LUCY as the landmark comedy that it was, treating it as just another sitcom when it should have dominated the Emmys in wins for years on end like other sitcoms would in more recent decades.

The Actress of the Year and similar categories existed in 1973-74 because the Emmys had planned to cut back their awards like they did back in the bad old days of the early 1960's and not award by genre (comedy, drama). Several promenient stars announced plans to boycott the awards because of this decision (including I believe Mary Tyler Moore) so the traditional comedy and drama categories were quickly tacked back on, trouble is everybody knew who the winners of THOSE were in advance since the winner had already been announced as advancing to the "actress of the year" and the like category. It was a big mess that year and as I seem to recall (wasn't even a teenager then) only the winners showed up since the nominees already knew they had lost.

As for Betty White, I say give her all the Emmy nods and awards she can handle!! I don't think she - or Mary Tyler Moore - have received too many Emmy awards or nominations, even though Lucy didn't receive enough. I suspect the problem there is a lot of people even in the industry thought Lucy won far more Emmys than she did - there weren't any books on Emmy history before the 1980's - and that might have hurt her chances in later years.

Honestly, my big Emmy problem with their handling of Lucy is not concerning her later shows but the shameful way they failed to honor I LOVE LUCY as the landmark comedy that it was, treating it as just another sitcom when it should have dominated the Emmys in wins for years on end like other sitcoms would in more recent decades.

One thing that always bothered me is that they didn't honor her with the governor's award when she was alive, instead of posthumous. She would've thought that was the greatest honor.

One thing that always bothered me is that they didn't honor her with the governor's award when she was alive, instead of posthumous. She would've thought that was the greatest honor.

They treated her like shit after "Life With Lucy." Remember all those articles about her being too old to be back on TV? She didn't get the respect from the public that she deserved in the last 3 years of her life, I feel.

Gale admitted himself that his blustering pomposity was a one note samba, maybe if they'd have made his character more likable, or given him better material to work with, he would have.

Maury Thompson was convinced Gale never won due to the one-note material writers tended to give him, plus his tendency to start out at full tilt and never vary it up much. Perhaps had he been given more versatile material he would've won, but writers knew his forte and played to it nonstop. He was a thorough professional and did whatever was given to him, even if it didn't help him out much career wise. But he did some great stuff with Lucy and it was brilliantly executed.

They treated her like shit after "Life With Lucy." Remember all those articles about her being too old to be back on TV? She didn't get the respect from the public that she deserved in the last 3 years of her life, I feel.

I completely agree with you although I have more anger toward the critics who couldn't wait to throw rocks at a icon than the public who did at least tune in for the first show but all that bad press was too much to overcome. Also have never liked Rosanne Barr because of her stunt talking about hating Lucy circa 1988 even though she meant "Lucy Ricardo" (she was bitching about Lucy being afraid of Ricky's temper, begging for five dollars, stuff like that) it was just an ugly way to make it clear her show was not going to be like old school tv housewives.

I know. Such a shame, she deserved so much more. I'm just glad her last appearance was with Mr Hope and she received a wonderful standing ovation.

But she could've got that governor's award 10 years prior to her death. She deserved it, Lucy is the first lady of television!

Would I be correct in stating that after reading these posts people really ONLY like Here's Lucy simply because Lucy is in it? Otherwise you all think it's pretty ordinary overall?

Yes, in my opinion.

Even more so than in THE LUCY SHOW, the writers did Lucy wrong. She deserved better. If anything, that's why she never won. But, it is what it is. And people watched, like we do, because any Lucy is good Lucy.

However, the Lucy/Harry relationship is a definite improvement over the Lucy/Mooney relationship. And since the series is generally substandard, it has the opportunity to surprise you with little moments of hilarity. (I feel similarly about RHODA.)

A couple of brilliant episodes including, off the top of my head: "Lucy, The Fixer" and "A Date For Lucy."

Lucille Ball deserved to win an Emmy for Here's Lucy, especially during seasons three and four. The Academy probably felt that by 1969 Lucille Ball had received enough (13 Emmy Nominations, 4 wins and the title of First Lady of Television) but it's still not fair. The nominees for Best Actress In A Comedy during 1971-72 season were Sandy Duncan (Funny Face), Mary Tyler Moore and Jean Stapleton. I can't believe the Academey overlooked Lucy for Sandy Duncan. Her show was a hit because it was placed right after All in the Family and right before Mary Tyler Moore on Saturday night. She got the nomination because she had surgery on one of her eyes and had to end the show during mid-season. She returned the following year with The Sandy Duncan Show which was cancelled before mid-season. I thought Lucy should have won during the third season of Here's Lucy (1970-71), but instead of nominating Lucy the Academy acknowledges the writers and Gale Gordon for the Burton episode. They nominate Mary Tyler Moore, Jean Stapleton and Marlo Thomas (That Girl) for Best Actress. In my opinion Mary Tyler Moore was overrated. The show was good but the supporting cast made it funny. Marlo Thomas was a good comedienne but her show was never a hit in the ratings and by the fourth season the show was really getting tired with Ann Marie and Don holding hands. It's funny because Lucille Ball received three Golden Globe nominations for Here's Lucy in 1969, 1970 and 1971 for Best Actress In A Comedy/Musical Series for "Here's Lucy". She was definitely worthy of an Emmy nomination.

The writing for "Here's Lucy" wasn't the greatest but because of Lucy and Gale the shows were funny and still hold up until today. The first five seasons of "Here's Lucy" were the best. Out of the 24 episodes produced each season I would say that there were about 4 shows (in each of the first five seasons) that were terrible; especially the jungle shows. Season six is the worst season of "Here's Lucy". Lucy did season six because she was persuaded by Fred Silverman of CBS, but you can tell here heart really wasn't in it. She should have quit at the end of season five. There are only four good episodes during the first half of season six. The second half of "Here's Lucy" gets much better. I think "Here's Lucy" was very underrated because Lucy did some of her best work in this show. During the 1968-69 and 1969-70 seasons "Laugh-In" was the number one show but Lucy still remained in the Top 10 at number 9 (1968-69) and number 6 (1969-70), and in 1970 "Here's Lucy" topped "Laugh-In" - Lucy was number 3 and CBS's highest rated show and "Laugh-In" fell out of the Top 10. I am one of Lucille Ball's biggest fans and I also believe that if a TV show is bad people are not going to watch no matter who you are - i.e. Life With Lucy - I watch only four out of the eight shows that aired and couldn't take it. My point is that "Here's Lucy" was a pretty good sitcom and if people didn't like it they would have changed the channel as they did with Life With Lucy. I am so tired of reading stories by old men like Maury Thompson and Herbert Kenwith putting the show down. They were just bitter because of Lucy's star status and her enduring longevity.

Oh my, a person after my own heart, couldn't have said it better myself, thanks for that.

Wow! That was a great post to read and very informative! I didn't realise that Lucy was nominated for 3 Golden Globe nominations! That does make me feel somewhat better I guess knowing that she was AT LEAST nominated in some sort of award ceremony.

But the Globes don't carry the CACHET that the Emmys or Oscars do though, only 80 senile old foreigners who can be bought very easily, at least back then they could.

Completely disagree about Sandy Duncan and FUNNY FACE. She was a sensation on that show and extremely popular - it really looked like Sandy was going to be the 70's "new Lucy" like Carol Burnett seemed to be the 60's "new Lucy" (all the while the original of course was still going strong in both decades with her popularity unthreatened by up and comers.) Sandy was very popular with kids at the time with that series and the Disney picture MILLION DOLLAR DUCK. I don't know why CBS didn't just revive FUNNY FACE when she was well enough to return to work instead of creating a new show which strangely just didn't jell for her. Sandy deserved that Emmy nomination though and didn't get nominated for being ill. Sentimental Hollywood ain't, that's for sure, well at least not toward female stars.

Also Can't agree with your comment if a show is bad people won't watch it, look at all the highly rated popular crap of the last three decades. HERE'S LUCY wasn't bad but Lucy had set the bar so high with I LOVE LUCY and to a lesser degree with THE LUCY SHOW it's not surprising the Emmys chose to ignore her third series for the current "hip" crowd of Mary, Jean, Bea, and Valerie. She probably would have got a few HL nominations though if the category the Emmys had kept their nominee counts at five instead down to three during those years.

Right on babe, about everything you said!

Perhaps someone can enlighten us about the Emmy nominating rules. For Comedy Actress, sometimes there's 3,4 or (in 67-68) 5. I would assume there hasn't to be a certain number of total votes before you're nominated.

The fact that the winners in the top series acting categories in 66-67 and 67-68 caused a bit of a stir. There was talk of changing the Emmy rules to prevent repeat winners. I think Lucy's 68 win caused an unfair backlash against her, especially since the favored nominee Paula Prentiss was so fresh and new and Lucy was considered an old war horse who had won her share, as if she should step aside for someone younger. Of the 4 66-67,67-68 repeat winners, 2 won again in 68-69 and the other winner Bill Cosby's show I Spy had been canceled, so really only Lucy suffered.

1966 to 1970 were NOT good years for comedy on television, evidence by the nominees (winner listed first)

Best Comedy Actress:

1968-69 Hope Lange, Barbara Feldon, Diahann Carroll, Marlo Thomas, Eliz Montgomery

1969-70 Hope, Marlo, Liz

IMO the most glaring omission is the exclusion of the only two women (besides Lucy) who gave us actual COMEDY; Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard of the Mothers In Law. Especially Kaye who I appreciate much more since getting the MIL DVDs last year. She brings much needed energy and a uniqueness that should have been rewarded---with more work at least. Granted MIL was not ground-breaking comedy and could be a bit creaky at times, but you can't fault the two leads.

Nothing against any of these fine women, I would have picked Marlo over Hope. I loved Liz in the early years of Bewitched but by this time the show was already tired (and had 3 seasons to go!) and Liz was mugging and overacting. Hope was appealing but G&Mrs.Muir did not tax anyone's talents. One Emmy maybe, but TWO??

Best Comedy:

68-69 Get Smart, Bewitched, Family Affair, Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Julia

Was GS in its 4th and final NBC year that good? I would guess not. G&Mrs.M had an intriguing concept but it was not one that made for a good series. however it did give us Reta Shaw. Charles Nelson Reilly had the bulk of the comedy in a Mrs. Kravitz like role. Family Affair: REALLY?, I don't know what the fuss was about Julia other than a "colored woman" (which is what Julia called herself in the first episode) was the star of a show. It dealt, very superficially, with race issues so was considered 'relevant', but a comedy? "Julia" faded very quickly after its first high-profile season.

69-70 My World and Welcome To It, Courtship of Eddie's Father, Room 222, Bill Cosby Show, Love American Style

The one-season My World was 'innovative' in that it incorporated James Thurber drawings within the show, but I don't remember ever seeing it. Bill Cosby's first sitcom would have been my pick. In this one he played a PE teacher in this laugh-track-less sitcom perfectly suited to his talents. (By the time of "the Cosby Show" I found him very hard to take). It too fell out of ratings and Emmy favor the next year and was gone after its 2 seasons and I'm not sure why. The other 3 entries, all on ABC, made me cringe. Room 222 was hip and relevant, but a comedy? I don't remember it as such. Courtship and LoveAm: BLEEEHH!

Here's Lucy for all its shortcomings was as good or better than the other nominees in this comedy desert. And more importantly, Lucille Ball's performances were on a par with any of the nominees, because (with the possible exception of Marlo), these ladies simply read their lines, ably but uninspired, because their series gave them no outlet for an actual comedy performance, though Liz aimed for one, but missed!

Good God do i LOVE your posts, you were there, so WE KNOW what happened back then. What bugs my ass though is the fact that the Academy never did learn their lesson, they're still giving too many awards to the same goddamned people and shows, year after year.

Marlo Thomas was not nominated for an Emmy during the 1968-69 season. It was just Hope Lange, Barbara Feldon, Diahann Carroll and Elizabeth Montgomery. The winner was Hope Lange (a good actress but not deserving of an Emmy.) If anyone deserved an Emmy it was Elizabeth Montgomery who was nominated five times for "Bewitched" and nominated for TV Movies "Lizzie Borden," "A Case of Rape," and "The Awakening Land," not to mention her first Emmy nomination for The Untouchables in the eary 60's. Today, its okay to nominate Betty White (who I love) for every stupid thing she does. Betty got an Emmy nomination for Off Thier Rockers as Best Reality Show Host (PLEASEEEEEEE) and she won an Emmy for "The Pet Set" a daytime show as Best Hostess. Betty White getting the SAG Award for Hot In Cleveland was one of the biggest jokes. The show is terrible. Mary Tyler Moore was another Emmy darling winning two during the 73-74 season for Best Comedy Actress and Actress of the Year. Actress of the Year was a new category. The following year the category was dropped because it was just plain stupid. They pitted Mary Tyler Moore against Michael Learned of "The Waltons." Mary won. Mary Tyler Moore got way too many Emmy nominations: two for The Dick Van Dyke Show (and she wasn't the lead in the show/she was a supporting character and seven nominations for her own show. I think Lucy was the one who got a backlash for winning a 4th Emmy in 1967-68. Lucille Ball should have won her third Emmy for the first season of "The Lucy Show" and Vivian Vance should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress. In 1962-63 Lucille Ball's big comeback resulted in one Emmy nomination for Best Actress In A Comedy. Lucy was runner-up to Shirley Booth of "Hazel." But what really gets me mad was that Lucy & Vivian (supporting actress) was shut out of the race during the 1963-64 season. The nomineesfor Best Actress in A Comedy were Irene Ryan (Beverly Hillbillies), Mary Tyler Moore (Dick Van Dyke), Shirley Booth (Hazel), Patty Duke (Patty Dyke Show) and Inger Stevens (The Farmer's Daughter.) Mary won.

My GOD! Post like this one keep me alive and Mikidiki, i had no illusions or love for this new thread but it has become one of my all time favorites for the many brilliant responses it has spawned. I just love it when people state TRUTHS even if some people will get their undies wrapped in a knot.

Guess what! LOL

(Where did Gale say this?)

I read in a BOOK, not the Enquirer, that he confided that to a co worker on the set, i forget if it was moron thompson or someone else. I SWEAR to you that he said that about himself. That he blew up so fast and so rigorously that he had nowhere to go afterwards.

During the 70's there was no set count. There could have been five nominees. CBS knew Funny Face was not a well produced show and they were having problems with the series, especially the supporting cast. It was only a hit because it followed All in the Family. They didn't bring it back the following year because they knew it was a very weak show and they produced an even more horrible show for Sandy known as The Sandy Duncan Show. Valerie Harper was great in Rhoda but only during the first two seasons. She did deserve to win during the first season (1974-75) of Rhoda. But seasons three thru five (season five only lasted half a season) were terrible and the ratings reflected it. After Rhoda and Joe split the show just dropped out of the Top 20. In its' last season it was (I believe) in 79th place in the ratings. Beatrice Arthur who I thought was good in Maude only received one Emmy and deserved at least another, but Maude was another "Rhoda" the ratings after the fourth season dropped and it was cancelled during season six. The show was never a hit in syndication or on DVD. I tried to watch a rerun of Maude recently and it's just not funny it's too topical like All in the Family. I believe it was Jean Stapleton who made All in the Family a funny show. When I watch a rerun today she is the only character that still makes me laugh.

Good gravy marie, another post like that and i may come. :lucythrill:sorry about that, i meant i'll get really excited like that lady having dinner in When Harry Met Sally.

I guess we're just going to "agree to disagree" since I was a huge fan of Bionic Woman, and Lindsay Wagner, loved her and her work and I don't begrudge her her awards either.

Well, i DO, that supposed actress in that horrible show beating out the great Sada Thompson for FAMILY gave me a mild heart attack when i watched the Emmys that year, LOL! :lucydisgust:

I have to respectfully disagree, as I think Bea Arthur / Maude was one of the funniest ladies / shows in televsion history. Topical, yes; dated, perhaps, but particulary in the midway point of the shows run, after Vivian and Arthur married and the maid was primarily Mrs. Naugatuck, the cast "jelled" and produced some of the funniest and most memorable episodes of the series.

I do agree that Ms. Arthur indeed well-deserved at least one more Emmy statue (if not more), regardless of whom she was up against. But at least she won one for the role, which is more than many equally-deserving actors did for their respective roles in their series. :lucyshy:

Always worshipping at her feet, aren't ya? Those huge, big, snowshoe type gigantic ugly feet, LOL! I kid, i kid, i love Bea. Her big cloddhoppers, not so much. LOL!

I don't think these shows and nominees were bad at all, enjoyed them all (except for Room 222 which I didn't watch) some more than others: My World and Welcome to It was terrific, loved The Ghost and Mrs. Muir although I haven't seen either show in 40 years so I don't know how they would play now. Julia was ok and Dinahann Carroll was very appealing on it, not a taxing role but certainly many another later tv star got nominated largely because their show was popular and sometimes even won (Tom Selleck best actor???) loved Barbara Feldon on Get Smart, a well-deserved nomination, always loved Marlo and Elizabeth, they were excellent on their shows, if the scripts often weren't that good, well that's true for Here's Lucy as well. Hope Lange probably had an Emmy edge with her previously established reputation as an actress on film and stage but I thought she was wonderful as Mrs. Muir and deserved at least one Emmy win. I would agree though that the nominees essentially were no better than Here's Lucy - or The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, The Andy Griffith Show, The Doris Day Show, Petticoat Junction, and other popular shows of the day (and some semi-popular shows like The Mothers-in-law or The Debbie Reynolds Show) it's just, as has been noted, they had a more youthful or hip edge that made them more appealing to Emmy voters.

They always went for the sophisticated ones too, hence Hope getting two and Lucy got her two in this period as she was now the lady executive, running Desilu, did you see how sophisticated she looked for her third Emmy? For the fourth she went back to glamor and glitz.

I agree totally with your first part, not the second and definitely you're right about the third part. Mr or Mrs Wilson is correct when stating that giving Miss White, whom i adore also, two Emmys for that pet show and hosting that shitty Off Your Rockers is just sheer nonsense! But at least, unlike Lucy, they are showering her with awards while she's still working hard.

EXACTLY, now they're making up for that fact with the way they treat lovely Betty White, wish they'd done that for Lucy.

Maury Thompson was convinced Gale never won due to the one-note material writers tended to give him, plus his tendency to start out at full tilt and never vary it up much. Perhaps had he been given more versatile material he would've won, but writers knew his forte and played to it nonstop. He was a thorough professional and did whatever was given to him, even if it didn't help him out much career wise. But he did some great stuff with Lucy and it was brilliantly executed.

Just sayin! I just knew it was moron.

I completely agree with you although I have more anger toward the critics who couldn't wait to throw rocks at a icon than the public who did at least tune in for the first show but all that bad press was too much to overcome. Also have never liked Rosanne Barr because of her stunt talking about hating Lucy circa 1988 even though she meant "Lucy Ricardo" (she was bitching about Lucy being afraid of Ricky's temper, begging for five dollars, stuff like that) it was just an ugly way to make it clear her show was not going to be like old school tv housewives.

Yeah, that was it was annoying to me to have her paired with Lucy for that Barbara Walters special AND having her make any comments "Lucy wise" at the show's horrid 50th anniversary celebration.

Archived