CBS, December 25, 1959

snowpeck

This a great piece of timeline history. This was original run on Christmas night. Despite Lucy and Desi's on-screen loving looks, Lucy would file for divorce only 2 months later. "Sun Valley" was rerun around Christmas. Lucy and Desi did new Christmas themed wrap-arounds. I thought that was 1959, but may have been 1958.

Have you noticed that whenever Lucy name is announced during opening credits, the emphasis is on the 2nd syllable?

This a great piece of timeline history. This was original run on Christmas night. Despite Lucy and Desi's on-screen loving looks, Lucy would file for divorce only 2 months later. "Sun Valley" was rerun around Christmas. Lucy and Desi did new Christmas themed wrap-arounds. I thought that was 1959, but may have been 1958.

Have you noticed that whenever Lucy name is announced during opening credits, the emphasis is on the 2nd syllable?

Love the billing "Lucy's Other Guests"! :marionstrong:

Weird though to see Carole wearing the "smock" thing LR wore when she told RR she was ...enciente. :lucyhorror:

Thanks for posting - was pretty busy that year; Christmas, and all; my absentee boyfriend was 'home' from Korea; hadn't seen him in a cuppla years, and getting ready for my senior year at school; Christmas excitement; many festivities; was the year I was destined to meet someone NOT IN MY DESTINY!! Join the crowd; my daughter, now 45, had one like him in her young years; never has married, and now, I fear, will have no children...sad, very sad, that someone comes in and slips back out of our lives. Enough of that....

In any event, had NOT seen this Revue; was wondering about Carole's attire, as well.... Loving each of you reading this, JK

Love the billing "Lucy's Other Guests"! :marionstrong:

Weird though to see Carole wearing the "smock" thing LR wore when she told RR she was ...enciente. :lucyhorror:

Yea I know, Carole looks good in it too!! But, its so sad she can't find it anymore she said in an interview for TLS season 1 or 2, i forget which. If she did find it and sold that, I could only imagine how much it would go for.

Yea I know, Carole looks good in it too!! But, its so sad she can't find it anymore she said in an interview for TLS season 1 or 2, i forget which. If she did find it and sold that, I could only imagine how much it would go for.

At the panel for the Hollywood Museum Lucy Exhibit, Carol talked about that garment too. She said, "First it was brown with black trim not teal like you see on the merchandise and those stupid dolls." "I wore it to death until it fell apart." Now I wonder if she sold it or not?

• 2 weeks later...

I love how in the opening scene Lucy said Desi knows everything as she leaves him to talk to Hedda and keeps interrupting. It is hilarious the look on her face as she said “Where was I going?' I love the cameos and Lucy nervousness. I like how Bill said: “Don't think of me as Bill Frawley think of me as Fred Mertz” and laughs nasty as he tells Lucy she can't go backstage. Her wishing the kids good luck and crossing her fingers is so sincere. I love the opening number “We Want to Be By You.” It is so catchy and perfectly staged like any 1950s musical. I love the next avant garde dance number. I enjoy the comedy/dance bit "I'm Only Happy When I am Singing the Blues." The Summertime is cute and nostgolic but it seems out of place with the modern musical numbers. I love the end when Lucy looks so proud as the kids sing a great number "Let's Make Believe It's Christmas Eve." I love how Viv and Bill interact in this show and I can't help notice Desi's glaces at the beautiful women. However, Lucy trying to get onstage to produce is overdone and akward. I don't enjoy that at all.

Wow, pretty harsh! Lucy vets Schiller & Weiskopf, directed by sitcom veteran Claudio Guzman (I Dream of Jeannie).

:peachonthebeach:

I thought Lucy took the 'directed by' credit. Or was it Desi? The story goes that Lucy was having trouble with her directorial debut and Desi offered to 'pull this thing together' and Lucy snapped "go ahead!" Never heard of this Claudio Guzman.

I think the script is OK, the non-revue parts anyway. The 'kids' may be talented but the revue is a little under-whelming, except for Carole, the obvious favorite: with all those people, including that other comedienne, Carole gets two numbers, while many are just in the opening and closing.

I incorporated some of this revue into my Carole highlights DVD. The openings to three segments and the 'finale' are included here.

I thought Lucy took the 'directed by' credit. Or was it Desi? The story goes that Lucy was having trouble with her directorial debut and Desi offered to 'pull this thing together' and Lucy snapped "go ahead!" Never heard of this Claudio Guzman.

I think the script is OK, the non-revue parts anyway. The 'kids' may be talented but the revue is a little under-whelming, except for Carole, the obvious favorite: with all those people, including that other comedienne, Carole gets two numbers, while many are just in the opening and closing.

I incorporated some of this revue into my Carole highlights DVD. The openings to three segments and the 'finale' are included here.

Wow! That's an awesome video! <3 it!

Yeah, another great compilation Neil. Hey, whatever happened to her two midget boys by the way? You know,the ones from the worst Here's Lucy ever made. It made Mooney the Monkey seem Emmy worthy.

Watch almost any IDOJ after the first season (1965-66) -- Gene Nelson directed most of those -- as Guzman, a la Bill Asher for Bewitched -- directed a preponderance of the episodes thereafter (1966-70). :)

Archived