Love the Banner Art!

tjw

Thanks, Brock, for the wonderful banner art...

That moment in "Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest" is one of my all time favorites... I remember when it aired the first time. It was such a bittersweet moment to have Lucy and Bill together again...(I was a bit heartbroken that Bill's character was not the one that came to the apartment later to help with the delivery. At least Herb got the nod.) The closing credits ("And our own Bill Frawley") has to be one of the nicest credit-lines ever aired...

And then, of course, Bill died a few months later... Was always so happy to have had one last show with them together...

Thanks again, Brock...

That moment in "Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest" is one of my all time favorites... I remember when it aired the first time. It was such a bittersweet moment to have Lucy and Bill together again...(I was a bit heartbroken that Bill's character was not the one that came to the apartment later to help with the delivery. At least Herb got the nod.) The closing credits ("And our own Bill Frawley") has to be one of the nicest credit-lines ever aired...

And then, of course, Bill died a few months later... Was always so happy to have had one last show with them together...

Thanks again, Brock...

I know, but for the BIG comeback, couldn't they have made the role just a teensy bit longer for him? :lucyblah::bill1::ido:

Thanks again, Brock...

By the way, the bored and talented webmaster is the one that has comments on all his wunnerful, wunnerful banners.

Thanks again, Brock...

Thank YOU, Tom, for putting together these wonderful DVDs -- without such pristine editions these banners would have been a mess!

I know, but for the BIG comeback, couldn't they have made the role just a teensy bit longer for him? :lucyblah::bill1::ido:

As much as love Bill's cameo in Horse Guest, I've always thought it would have been a great last moment between him and Lucy if he had the part of the tree salesman in Choirmaster. Perhaps Bill wouldn't have been up for a slightly longer role like that, but it would have been nice.

Thank YOU, Tom, for putting together these wonderful DVDs -- without such pristine editions these banners would have been a mess!

As much as love Bill's cameo in Horse Guest, I've always thought it would have been a great last moment between him and Lucy if he had the part of the tree salesman in Choirmaster. Perhaps Bill wouldn't have been up for a slightly longer role like that, but it would have been nice.

Yeah, i know he was very ill at the time so maybe they couldn't get insurance for him but only got him ON as he would have a two sentence part.

Question about this episodes for those who watched it the first time it aired (like Neil ;) ) -- was there any advance publicity that Bill would be on Horse Guest, or was it a complete surprise to home viewers?

I think at least one person was shocked to hear it announced, that's when Viv had her first stroke.

Question about this episodes for those who watched it the first time it aired (like Neil ;) ) -- was there any advance publicity that Bill would be on Horse Guest, or was it a complete surprise to home viewers?

Good question! I don't remember if I knew in advance of viewing or not... My TV GUIDEs for that year are all boxed up and in storage, but the CBS press release that I have for that episode announces that Bill is making a brief appearance in the episode.

Good question! I don't remember if I knew in advance of viewing or not... My TV GUIDEs for that year are all boxed up and in storage, but the CBS press release that I have for that episode announces that Bill is making a brief appearance in the episode.

I just found my TV GUIDE for the week of April 30, 1966 -- the week in which "Horse Guest" was repeated... The write-up about the episode in the Monday night listings does NOT include a mention of Bill's appearance. If memory serves, the listings for repeats were often verbatim of the listings for the first-runs, so there is a darned-good-chance "we" (the audience) did not know about Bill's appearance (at least from TV GUIDE). If the newspaper listings picked up the aforementioned CBS Press Release, however, those readers would have known... But it was not widely publicized...

I just found my TV GUIDE for the week of April 30, 1966 -- the week in which "Horse Guest" was repeated... The write-up about the episode in the Monday night listings does NOT include a mention of Bill's appearance. If memory serves, the listings for repeats were often verbatim of the listings for the first-runs, so there is a darned-good-chance "we" (the audience) did not know about Bill's appearance (at least from TV GUIDE). If the newspaper listings picked up the aforementioned CBS Press Release, however, those readers would have known... But it was not widely publicized...

I'm not sure, but i think it was all one big pleasant surprise. However, how could they advertize it when he had such a small part? People would have tuned in expecting this great guest star role and then blinked and missed it. It was only decades later, when we found out about the Viv/Bill feuding that he was only on because she was not on. :bill1::viv2:

Bill was actually mentioned in the TV Guide description for the initial airing. Herb Vigran and Bill Quinn aren't listed at all.

Regional TV Guides sometimes varied their descriptions of episodes depending on space, which may explain why Bill was listed in one and not another.

But Claude's right: you'd think CBS would have promoted the reunion for the ratings-grabbing angle. I'm sure that if there was the same situation today, they would.

Imagine if Vivian Vance, however unlikely, would have made a cameo in this episode--- backing out of the stall with Bill saying "There's your horse but it's looking a little bigger than.. (sees that it's Viv)..oh, no wonder!"

Regional TV Guides sometimes varied their descriptions of episodes depending on space, which may explain why Bill was listed in one and not another.

But Claude's right: you'd think CBS would have promoted the reunion for the ratings-grabbing angle. I'm sure that if there was the same situation today, they would.

Imagine if Vivian Vance, however unlikely, would have made a cameo in this episode--- backing out of the stall with Bill saying "There's your horse but it's looking a little bigger than.. (sees that it's Viv)..oh, no wonder!"

I'm not sure of course, but i vaguely remember our tuning in BECAUSE it had been promoted as Bill being on the show. I wish i could be sure, but it's there in the back of my mind, we were so thrilled to see him again after he had left My Three Sons because of health reasons.

I'm not sure of course, but i vaguely remember our tuning in BECAUSE it had been promoted as Bill being on the show. I wish i could be sure, but it's there in the back of my mind, we were so thrilled to see him again after he had left My Three Sons because of health reasons.

One reason CBS did not make a "big deal" out of Bill's appearance was because it was designed as a "cameo." In those early days, cameo appearances were normally unannounced little surprises, in which big or notable stars appeared unexpectedly in tiny roles... When Lucy herself appeared in a "Sgt. Bilko" episode in 1959, she did not get any credit on the show at all. Her name is not listed in the printed on-screen credits, and she is not mentioned by the announcer -- who mentions a zillion other actors who appeared in the show...

Those of us who, at least at that point, lived out in the sticks were lucky to get a TV signal at all, let alone a good TV Guide.

Come to think of it... In those days, when one subscribed to TV Guide, one often did it through a local lad who had a "TV Guide route," similar to paperboys who delivered the newspapers. Once a week, our guy would peddle through the neighborhood and leave us our TV Guide. Am not sure if we paid by the week, month, or what... but we got our magazines without a mailing label or without being damaged in the post... Eventually, the magazine did away with this option, and we had to subscribe through the mail -- but whenever there was a certain redhead on the cover (or any other interesting cover art), I managed to buy a second copy at the local newsstand...

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Where did you get such clear publicity photos? I love the one with Lucy and the sax.

Poor Lucy, what a sad way to end her career. 1986 just was not a good year for her. The show could've been way better if Desi wasn't dying and if it had better writers/producers/acting.

and her voice sounded like a bullfrog by this time.

Where did you get such clear publicity photos? I love the one with Lucy and the sax.

Poor Lucy, what a sad way to end her career. 1986 just was not a good year for her. The show could've been way better if Desi wasn't dying and if it had better writers/producers/acting.

and her voice sounded like a bullfrog by this time.

Getty Images has a surprising amount of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived