LUCY MEETS THE STARS PHOTO THREAD

Lucyilove

Great shot! Who is the woman cuddling up to Harpo?

4946.jpg

SEPTEMBER 11, 1943 Gathered for a press conference at the Hotel St. Moritz are stars of the Hollywood War Bond Cavalcade, headed by James Cagney, who made appearances at the big bond rally in Madison Square Garden. , Reat (l. to r.) James Cagney, Lucille Ball, Fred Astaire, Greer Garson, Paul Henreid, Judy Garland, Betty Hutton, Harpo Marx, Marjorie Stewart, , Front (l. to r.) Sergt. Barney Ross, Kay Kyser, Mickey Rooney, Rosemary La Planche.

SEPTEMBER 11, 1943 Gathered for a press conference at the Hotel St. Moritz are stars of the Hollywood War Bond Cavalcade, headed by James Cagney, who made appearances at the big bond rally in Madison Square Garden. , Reat (l. to r.) James Cagney, Lucille Ball, Fred Astaire, Greer Garson, Paul Henreid, Judy Garland, Betty Hutton, Harpo Marx, Marjorie Stewart, , Front (l. to r.) Sergt. Barney Ross, Kay Kyser, Mickey Rooney, Rosemary La Planche.

Oh wow, another Lucy connection, i too have stayed at the St Moritz, LOL!

"The Doris Day Show" season 4 opener with guest star Lucille Ball

When Doris Martin moves to San Francisco, she scours every branch of the Westland Bank in search of her friend Lucy Carmichael who heads up the California branch of the "Parents Without Children" support group.  Doris learns her son Tod has adopted the name "Itchy Martin" and joined the Hell's Angels, so (after expanding her Lucy-search to Los Angeleeze) Doris and Lucy don leather to infiltrate the club hangout. 

Cop: James Flavin.. Harley Salesman: Sid Gould. "Motorcycle Mama" (club's housemother): Eva Pearson.

157.JPG

"The Doris Day Show" season 4 opener with guest star Lucille Ball

When Doris Martin moves to San Francisco, she scours every branch of the Westland Bank in search of her friend Lucy Carmichael who heads up the California branch of the "Parents Without Children" support group.  Doris learns her son Tod has adopted the name "Itchy Martin" and joined the Hell's Angels, so (after expanding her Lucy-search to Los Angeleeze) Doris and Lucy don leather to infiltrate the club hangout. 

Cop: James Flavin.. Harley Salesman: Sid Gould. "Motorcycle Mama" (club's housemother): Eva Pearson.

Lucille Brought her OWN crew, and co-stars from her OWN show???????????????

Lucille Brought her OWN crew, and co-stars from her OWN show???????????????

In my fantasy world, anything can happen.  I'm surprised nobody pointed out the childless Lucy Carmichael in California (65-68) and childless Doris Martin in San Francisco (71-73) couldn't have crossed paths, but I could make this a Lucy Show with Day as guest star (and call it "Lucy Makes Doris's Day").   I was wondering whether anyone would get my "joke" about Doris searching for Lucy Carmichael in San Francisco banks, because many source books related Lucy's move from Danfield to California as San francsisco instead of LA and contend she got the bank job right away.   

For two years, Here's Lucy and Doris Day filled the CBS Monday 9 to 10pm hour.  At the time of its debut in 1968, Doris was still a huge movie star, only a couple years past her high water mark, and I think the anticipation around CBS was that she would eventually replace their crown jewel should Lucy decide to retire.  Nobody lauded much praise on "TDDS" and in its first year (Tuesday at 9:30 followed still high-rated Red Skelton), it ranked #30.   Ratings soared when moved to Monday at 9:30, peaking at #10 in the 69-70 season*, benefiting greatly by the lead-in "Mayberry RFD" (my theory is that dull-as-dishwater Mayberry put people to sleep and "Que Sera Sera" woke them up but they were too groggy to GET UP --yes, that's what we had to do---to change the channel).   For its 2 years following HL, TDDS was #23 for 71-72 (HL:#10) and then dropped out of the top 30 the next, ending its 5 year run.  Doris's contract was for 5 years, so did she or CBS end it?  TDDS was such a pastiche piece of fluff, nobody missed it.  Doris's talents were squandered.

Too bad the HL/DD hour didn't do some cross-over episodes like "Golden Girls" and "Empty Nest".  The common thread is that as widows, their late husbands were never mentioned** and after their kids got in the way of plots were done away with.  At least there was SOME explanation, however fleeting, on The Lucy Show.  When Doris became a career gal in San Fran, there was no mention of what happened to her boys and eventually she is referred to as MISS Martin. Maybe Doris couldn't face her sons after they discovered that "Grandpa" Denver Pyle was only 2 years older than mother Doris; and that their late father was actually their older brother, depriving Doris of an Emmy-worthy confession scene as the boys take turns slapping her face (ala "Chinatown"): "He was your brother" (slap) He was your father" (slap)  "He was your  brother AND your father!"

*for one glorious season 69-70, CBS's entire Monday night schedule filled the top 15: Gunsmoke #2, Here's Lucy #6, Mayberry #4, Doris #10 and Carol Burnett #13, the highest rankings for each series EXCEPT HL which bounced back the next season in the #3 spot. the first time since 56-57 that a Lucy series was CBS's highest rated show.

** All we know about "George" (as in "Life Without...") Carmichael is that he was on to Lucy's manipulative tricks and he banged the side of that crummy TV.

• Like 1

In my fantasy world, anything can happen.  I'm surprised nobody pointed out the childless Lucy Carmichael in California (65-68) and childless Doris Martin in San Francisco (71-73) couldn't have crossed paths, but I could make this a Lucy Show with Day as guest star (and call it "Lucy Makes Doris's Day").   I was wondering whether anyone would get my "joke" about Doris searching for Lucy Carmichael in San Francisco banks, because many source books related Lucy's move from Danfield to California as San francsisco instead of LA and contend she got the bank job right away.   

For two years, Here's Lucy and Doris Day filled the CBS Monday 9 to 10pm hour.  At the time of its debut in 1968, Doris was still a huge movie star, only a couple years past her high water mark, and I think the anticipation around CBS was that she would eventually replace their crown jewel should Lucy decide to retire.  Nobody lauded much praise on "TDDS" and in its first year (Tuesday at 9:30 followed still high-rated Red Skelton), it ranked #30.   Ratings soared when moved to Monday at 9:30, peaking at #10 in the 69-70 season*, benefiting greatly by the lead-in "Mayberry RFD" (my theory is that dull-as-dishwater Mayberry put people to sleep and "Que Sera Sera" woke them up but they were too groggy to GET UP --yes, that's what we had to do---to change the channel).   For its 2 years following HL, TDDS was #23 for 71-72 (HL:#10) and then dropped out of the top 30 the next, ending its 5 year run.  Doris's contract was for 5 years, so did she or CBS end it?  TDDS was such a pastiche piece of fluff, nobody missed it.  Doris's talents were squandered.

Too bad the HL/DD hour didn't do some cross-over episodes like "Golden Girls" and "Empty Nest".  The common thread is that as widows, their late husbands were never mentioned** and after their kids got in the way of plots were done away with.  At least there was SOME explanation, however fleeting, on The Lucy Show.  When Doris became a career gal in San Fran, there was no mention of what happened to her boys and eventually she is referred to as MISS Martin. Maybe Doris couldn't face her sons after they discovered that "Grandpa" Denver Pyle was only 2 years older than mother Doris; and that their late father was actually their older brother, depriving Doris of an Emmy-worthy confession scene as the boys take turns slapping her face (ala "Chinatown"): "He was your brother" (slap) He was your father" (slap)  "He was your  brother AND your father!"

*for one glorious season 69-70, CBS's entire Monday night schedule filled the top 15: Gunsmoke #2, Here's Lucy #6, Mayberry #4, Doris #10 and Carol Burnett #13, the highest rankings for each series EXCEPT HL which bounced back the next season in the #3 spot. the first time since 56-57 that a Lucy series was CBS's highest rated show.

** All we know about "George" (as in "Life Without...") Carmichael is that he was on to Lucy's manipulative tricks and he banged the side of that crummy TV.

I still say YOU should have written for them, your imagination is just boundless.

One correction: "Gunsmoke"'s #2 ranking in 69-70 was not its highest ranking ever, but the highest in its 8 years as CBS's Monday lead-off show.  In its original Saturday night 10pm slot, it ranked #1 for four straight years 1957 to 1961.  "Gunsmoke" is one of the very few series that bounced back after being moved from its long-standing time slot to a brand new day and time.  "Gunsmoke" was on the chopping block at the end of the 66-67 season after a respectable 12 year run.  Its last minute reprieve by Bill Paley denied us a 4th season of "Gilligan's Island"---not sure that was a bad thing.

One correction: "Gunsmoke"'s #2 ranking in 69-70 was not its highest ranking ever, but the highest in its 8 years as CBS's Monday lead-off show.  In its original Saturday night 10pm slot, it ranked #1 for four straight years 1957 to 1961.  "Gunsmoke" is one of the very few series that bounced back after being moved from its long-standing time slot to a brand new day and time.  "Gunsmoke" was on the chopping block at the end of the 66-67 season after a respectable 12 year run.  Its last minute reprieve by Bill Paley denied us a 4th season of "Gilligan's Island"---not sure that was a bad thing.

Wasn't there some brouhaha also about Lucy getting Gunsmoke off the air and she didn't want to be held responsible for that so she made sure CBS knew she wouldn't be hated by Gunsmoke fans.  I think it might have been when they went on from 7:30 to 8:30 to be changed when the shows now started at 8.