Lucyilove's Scrapbook

Lucyilove

Inspired by Neil's wonderful thread of pix and information from his Lucy "box", I've decided to start my own thread of a few pages from my nearly 30-year-old Lucy scrapbook, 100 11x14 pages filled with clips of Lucy from the late 1930's into the first decade after her death. I started this book around 1984 after a few years of saving clippings of Lucy from magazines and newspapers. I also obtained clips in the mail, many from an elderly lady who apparently clipped every star photo from 60s/80s magazines she had ever owned, had them sorted by star, and sold them at the bargain price of $3 for 100 of assorted sizes plus postage. She commented to me once I was the only person who had ever bought Lucy clips from her (shame on you older fans! :lucyhorror: though I'm sure if you'd known about this little goldmine you'd have wiped her out in no time. I myself was just out of my teens and just getting into collecting so I actually wasn't that rabid a buyer from her, just a hundred or two every few months although I ended up with hundreds of pix of Lucy from her I imagine she had thousands, don't know why I ever stopped buying them.) I also would buy vintage clippings from the 1940's and 1950's from a lady who sold them at various prices, ranging from a quarter to a small piece to perhaps $3 for a full page portrait or complete article. These clippings were sent on approval with prices written on the back as well as the original magazine title/date. Of course I bought everything she sent me. I particularly loved these as they were mostly movie related and I've mentioned before I love Lucy the movie star as much as Lucy the tv icon. Have no idea what happened to these ladies but they have my eternal gratitude and really launched me into Lucy collecting land.

Here's the cover to the scrapbook (red of course), I think Claude may have seen the cover photo before (a giant picture from I think Star magazine that I laminated onto the scrapbook cover all those years ago).

lucy300.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a very rare photo exclusive to the New Orleans paper with a writeup from 1988 remembering the day when the ILL cast came down amongst us ignant Sutherners Claude dislikes so much for a charity ball (though perhaps he is a bit more in sympathy toward us hillbilly cousins from Louisiana :lucyhehe: .) Also a vintage review of THE DARK CORNER from Photoplay in 1946.

lucy301.jpg

Here's a very rare photo exclusive to the New Orleans paper with a writeup from 1988 remembering the day when the ILL cast came down amongst us ignant Sutherners Claude dislikes so much for a charity ball (though perhaps he is a bit more in sympathy toward us hillbilly cousins from Louisiana :lucyhehe: .) Also a vintage review of THE DARK CORNER from Photoplay in 1946.

lucy301.jpg

I'm so sorry, the O N L Y thing i dislike about "some" Southeners is their total ignorance of reality and their hatred of people of color. AND anybody who's different.

Edie & Desi & Lucie & Larry & Lucy & Gary

lucy302.jpg

I have always loved that photo of all of them together, only Desi jr is missing. Your photos are just beautiful. I had many scrapbooks like that and when money was a problem, i would just tear out the picture i found in a magazine, sometimes the whole page, of Lucy has my allowance only got me so far.

The big photo, a favorite, was a magazine page that I had taped on my bedroom wall in the early 1980's (and re the caption to the scalped clipping, somehow I think Lucy was still the most famous even with Gary's performance in LENNY :lucydaze: )

lucy303.jpg

You see what i mean about how often this woman was photographed in her lifetime? Thousands and thousands of photos. I especially love seeing the rare ones of course but every photo brings back a memory. I was such an idiot to throw away all of mine but as i keep saying, what man in his twenties would move from apartment to apartment and take all this stuff with him when at one point for many years, none of her shows played on tv and we didn't have them all on tape as we did once vcrs finally cam out in the early eighties. Of course this was French Canada and she was all but forgotten here for decades.

You see what i mean about how often this woman was photographed in her lifetime? Thousands and thousands of photos. I especially love seeing the rare ones of course but every photo brings back a memory. I was such an idiot to throw away all of mine but as i keep saying, what man in his twenties would move from apartment to apartment and take all this stuff with him when at one point for many years, none of her shows played on tv and we didn't have them all on tape as we did once vcrs finally cam out in the early eighties. Of course this was French Canada and she was all but forgotten here for decades.

Oh yes absolutely, she was all over the press 1975-1989 even if she didn't work very much anymore. A lot of these 70s clips are from the Rona Barrett magazines of that era and she was in those probably as much as Barbra Streisand or Robert Redford or Farrah Fawcett or any of the famous "young" movie and tv stars of the day. I don't know if it was Rona or one of her editors who put Lucy in so many of those mags but I'm sure the fact that those Lucy covers (in her sixties!) sold very well and led to more of them. (And you know I was teasing you about the Southern remark, I definitely get the humor in your posts and believe you get mine :hlLOL:)

Oh yes absolutely, she was all over the press 1975-1989 even if she didn't work very much anymore. A lot of these 70s clips are from the Rona Barrett magazines of that era and she was in those probably as much as Barbra Streisand or Robert Redford or Farrah Fawcett or any of the famous "young" movie and tv stars of the day. I don't know if it was Rona or one of her editors who put Lucy in so many of those mags but I'm sure the fact that those Lucy covers (in her sixties!) sold very well and led to more of them. (And you know I was teasing you about the Southern remark, I definitely get the humor in your posts and believe you get mine :hlLOL:)

Rona was a very good friend of Lucy's. I always thought Lucy befriended these people to get all the dirt on her contemporaries, LOL!

Cool picture. I love how both Lucy and Desi are looking away from each other lol. Do you know when and where this photo was taken?

No but I'm pretty sure it was published in the Star tabloid as they often had great candid photos like this in it. Star was the classy tabloid of the 1980's, good pictures and stories on the stars rarely "dirt". They're still around but they are more like their notorious peer The National Enquirer from what I can tell of the covers (I haven't bought a tab in ages since I could care less about reality "stars").

I think Lucy and Desi looking opposite directions is just a fluke in the photo, nothing to read into it. There's lots of pix of Lucy and Desi smiling together from the 70s and 80s and even Desi seeming very buddy-buddy with "Barry Norton".

LOL! Funny you should mention that because after I made that comment and logged off I thought to myself "Damn, I forgot to +1 the photos"! (I just did it then)

I was just joking as I had just read your "+1" thread, honestly, I don't really pay much attention to the whole +1 thing although like Claude I will leave them for posts I like a lot. I definitely don't want to see this great site become one of those like IMDb or Amazon where people can get crazy with competitive "helpful/unhelpful" voting, fortunately nothing like that has ever occurred here to my knowledge, as far as getting myself getting +1 nods, I feel like Jane Wyman's great comment when she won a Golden Globe in the 1980's for Falcon Crest, "I'm a little too old to be happy about this sort of thing but old enough to be grateful."

No but I'm pretty sure it was published in the Star tabloid as they often had great candid photos like this in it. Star was the classy tabloid of the 1980's, good pictures and stories on the stars rarely "dirt". They're still around but they are more like their notorious peer The National Enquirer from what I can tell of the covers (I haven't bought a tab in ages since I could care less about reality "stars").

I think Lucy and Desi looking opposite directions is just a fluke in the photo, nothing to read into it. There's lots of pix of Lucy and Desi smiling together from the 70s and 80s and even Desi seeming very buddy-buddy with "Barry Norton".

First off, im with you on reality stars. I don't know why anyone would be interested in them. As for Desi and Lucy looking away from each other, I wasn't really reading to much into it. It just looked kinda funny. I do wonder what was really going on in their minds whenever they would see each other after the divorce. I remember one photo of Lucy,Desi, and Gary together at a Hollywood Bowl benefit of some kind in the 1970's. The look on Lucy's face was priceless. :marionstrong:

First off, im with you on reality stars. I don't know why anyone would be interested in them. As for Desi and Lucy looking away from each other, I wasn't really reading to much into it. It just looked kinda funny. I do wonder what was really going on in their minds whenever they would see each other after the divorce. I remember one photo of Lucy,Desi, and Gary together at a Hollywood Bowl benefit of some kind in the 1970's. The look on Lucy's face was priceless. :marionstrong:

At this stage, i would think Lucy was more concerned with Edie, did she look ok next to her? And Desi was feeling the exact same thing with Barry Norton.

Yeah, Desi was a better actor than most people gave him credit for, LOL!

Totally agree. No one is going to convince me that they were "friends". Sorry not buying it. :MrsRichardCarlson: I do think that Lucy and Edie were fond of each other. Though I remember Kay Ballard once said that Edie had a hard time since "in her heart she knew Lucy was the first love of his life and Edie was the second". One thing about about this whole Lucy,Desi,Gary and Edie love triangle ,or whatever you want to call it, everyone seemed to love Edie. Im sure since Desi's drinking and hard living only got worse ,until the very end of his life, Edie had some really difficult times. Poor woman.

Archived