Lucyilove's Scrapbook

Lucyilove

Totally agree. No one is going to convince me that they were "friends". Sorry not buying it. :MrsRichardCarlson: I do think that Lucy and Edie were fond of each other. Though I remember Kay Ballard once said that Edie had a hard time since "in her heart she knew Lucy was the first love of his life and Edie was the second". One thing about about this whole Lucy,Desi,Gary and Edie love triangle ,or whatever you want to call it, everyone seemed to love Edie. Im sure since Desi's drinking and hard living only got worse ,until the very end of his life, Edie had some really difficult times. Poor woman.

I know, i lived with an alcoholic father and i know how they can be, there are books saying that Desi was impossible in his later years, slamming doors, screaming matches, getting angry at what he THOUGHT had been said by this one or that one, and poor Edie, who was a neighbor of theirs before, hence Lucy liking her and she seemed to be the total opposite of Lucy or Desi, all quiet and unassuming. That's why everybody loved her, she put up with everything and was always quiet about it all. This poor woman was married to a millionnaire and had a life of luxury, she divorces her hubby and married Desi who has like two million he got from Lucy for his share of Desilu and he burns it all in no time, hence going through it all instead of just living on the interest which is what A REAL GENIUS would have done. Then again, you can see that it's in their childhood history. Lucy had been poor, so her whole life she scrimped and saved to make sure she was never in that position again. And Desi who was rich as a kid, was given everything, so i think he spent his whole life trying to get it all back. I did love however how both of them gave to others their whole lives.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the remark i made about Desi being a good actor was twofold, yes, he was being a hypocrite, as Gary was, pretending to get along for Lucy's sake . . .but as i watch him on I Love Lucy reruns lately, i do see what Lucy saw back then, he WAS a good actor, natural and all, his line readings are very good, but all we remember are his bugged out eyes and facial contortions that were too exaggerated but he only did those to be her straight man and make her wild comedy antics funnier in their set up.

I know, i lived with an alcoholic father and i know how they can be, there are books saying that Desi was impossible in his later years, slamming doors, screaming matches, getting angry at what he THOUGHT had been said by this one or that one, and poor Edie, who was a neighbor of theirs before, hence Lucy liking her and she seemed to be the total opposite of Lucy or Desi, all quiet and unassuming. That's why everybody loved her, she put up with everything and was always quiet about it all. This poor woman was married to a millionnaire and had a life of luxury, she divorces her hubby and married Desi who has like two million he got from Lucy for his share of Desilu and he burns it all in no time, hence going through it all instead of just living on the interest which is what A REAL GENIUS would have done. Then again, you can see that it's in their childhood history. Lucy had been poor, so her whole life she scrimped and saved to make sure she was never in that position again. And Desi who was rich as a kid, was given everything, so i think he spent his whole life trying to get it all back. I did love however how both of them gave to others their whole lives.

desc

I think Desi WAS a genius. But many of the bad decisions he made later in life was fueled by his drinking and his self-destructive attitude. Drinking can really enflame a lot of bad habbits. Very sad. I watched Lucie's interview on the Archive of American Television a few weeks ago. The only thing she said that had me shaking my head was when she said Edie knew how to handle her father. Im sure Edie was a wonderful woman and Desi was very lucky to have her but "handle him". No. I don't think anyone could handle him at that point.

desc

I think Desi WAS a genius. But many of the bad decisions he made later in life was fueled by his drinking and his self-destructive attitude. Drinking can really enflame a lot of bad habbits. Very sad. I watched Lucie's interview on the Archive of American Television a few weeks ago. The only thing she said that had me shaking my head was when she said Edie knew how to handle her father. Im sure Edie was a wonderful woman and Desi was very lucky to have her but "handle him". No. I don't think anyone could handle him at that point.

Well, yeah, Edie knew how to handle him all right, she had to look the other way like so many other Hollywood wives and say nothing while her husband screwed anything in a skirt. :MrsRichardCarlson:

Well, yeah, Edie knew how to handle him all right, she had to look the other way like so many other Hollywood wives and say nothing while her husband screwed anything in a skirt. :MrsRichardCarlson:

And he ran through all of the money. Yeah she could handle him all right. :marionstrong: Maybe Lucie meant that she was a calming influence on her dad. I guess she didn't have a temper like Desi and Lucy. She must have been a saint. Much as I love and admire Desi I could never put up with it. I love how Lucie always rewrites the fact that Edie and her first husband Clement were NOT divorced when she started seeing Desi. Didn't Clement have people following them?

And he ran through all of the money. Yeah she could handle him all right. :marionstrong: Maybe Lucie meant that she was a calming influence on her dad. I guess she didn't have a temper like Desi and Lucy. She must have been a saint. Much as I love and admire Desi I could never put up with it. I love how Lucie always rewrites the fact that Edie and her first husband Clement were NOT divorced when she started seeing Desi. Didn't Clement have people following them?

Yes, thru the years, Desi had more followers than Billy Graham.

The big photo, a favorite, was a magazine page that I had taped on my bedroom wall in the early 1980's (and re the caption to the scalped clipping, somehow I think Lucy was still the most famous even with Gary's performance in LENNY :lucydaze: )

lucy303.jpg

I wished I could have seen Lucy's A Chorus Line spoof since I love her musical number and good looks. It is amazing to think of these annual performances now lost. I love how they called Lucy and Gary Hollywood's most comfortable couple. They did seem like two good friends that enjoyed being together though I will agree that the passion was more with Desi.

No but I'm pretty sure it was published in the Star tabloid as they often had great candid photos like this in it. Star was the classy tabloid of the 1980's, good pictures and stories on the stars rarely "dirt". They're still around but they are more like their notorious peer The National Enquirer from what I can tell of the covers (I haven't bought a tab in ages since I could care less about reality "stars").

I think Lucy and Desi looking opposite directions is just a fluke in the photo, nothing to read into it. There's lots of pix of Lucy and Desi smiling together from the 70s and 80s and even Desi seeming very buddy-buddy with "Barry Norton".

I would love to see more pictures of Desi and Lucy and even Edie and Gary together from this period. Edie seems to be so unknown compared to the other three.

I wished I could have seen Lucy's A Chorus Line spoof since I love her musical number and good looks. It is amazing to think of these annual performances now lost. I love how they called Lucy and Gary Hollywood's most comfortable couple. They did seem like two good friends that enjoyed being together though I will agree that the passion was more with Desi.

Yeah, that would have been great to see, Lucy doing A Chorus Line, it's such a great number too! AND, no singing, all dancing, so nobody could take pot shots at her voice. :lucycoy:

Yeah, that would have been great to see, Lucy doing A Chorus Line, it's such a great number too! AND, no singing, all dancing, so nobody could take pot shots at her voice. :lucycoy:

No one can deny she was a class A dancer. Her dance numbers were done so precise and she kept till the end her chorus figure and dancing ability.

No one can deny she was a class A dancer. Her dance numbers were done so precise and she kept till the end her chorus figure and dancing ability.

True, like Dietrich, she kept her beautiful legs all the way to the end, kept her figure too, you're right and she rehearsed so much that she made those little dancing numbers look great too. At The Oscars, she got her last show biz thrill by giving the crowd OUTSIDE, when she left, a glimpse of thsoe beautiful legs, lifting up her skirt higher and higher with each cheer of the crowd, i think it validated her, she got a standing O from the ritzy crowd inside and now, going home, one last hurrah in front of her fans who cheered wildly, had to make her feel great.

• 2 weeks later...

lucy309.jpg

Hawking lipstick in the 1940's, an early postmarriage nightclub date with Desi, the Arnazs with Ida Lupino and one of her husbands, Lucy now wins a 1960's readers mag poll for "Best Female Star", and her Kennedy Center Honors ad from TV Guide (complete ad not shown).

lucy308.jpg

Back by popular demand (man those crickets are loud!!) two Lucys and their first husbands at Lucie 2's first wedding plus Lucille Flor and Her Two Husbands

Are you kidding me with this? I L O V E all the pics you've given us, they are reminders to me of the ones i used to have. Lucy never looked lovelier later in life than at her daughter's wedding. Lovely outfit too.

lucy309.jpg

Hawking lipstick in the 1940's, an early postmarriage nightclub date with Desi, the Arnazs with Ida Lupino and one of her husbands, Lucy now wins a 1960's readers mag poll for "Best Female Star", and her Kennedy Center Honors ad from TV Guide (complete ad not shown).

Yeah, i laughed out loud at a quote attributed to Desi where he said LUCY DIDN'T DO COMMERCIALS. For a lady who didn't do any, she sure has loads in her resume. Love that tribute to the Kennedy Center honorees at the bottom especially.

Downhome Lucy: mid 1970's Hollywood charity costume party, plus clips from country music mags on her 1978 CBS special in Nashville including pic from the show with country diva Lynn Anderson, plus city diva Liza Minnelli with her dad Vincente and Desi Boy.

lucy310.jpg

Downhome Lucy: mid 1970's Hollywood charity costume party, plus clips from country music mags on her 1978 CBS special in Nashville including pic from the show with country diva Lynn Anderson, plus city diva Liza Minnelli with her dad Vincente and Desi Boy.

lucy310.jpg

Yeah, i wonder if the Cabaret picture is from the Oscars or Golden Globes.

Archived