Lucy's Rings

Luvsbway

Let’s talk about Lucy’s Rings. I’ve become rather obsessed over them lately and need to break down some observations and questions I’ve had.

That big aquamarine ring:

Lucy in her book refers to this as her engagement ring. Well since we all know they eloped it would not technically be an engagement ring, but since she got jipped out of one by eloping, I’m assuming Desi gave her one to make up for that. This ring you see Lucy wear very much in the 1940’s. I’ve sort of become obsessed in trying to find it in movies and photos. The Technicolor Tessie Life spread has her wearing it along with it showing up in the dressing room scene in Duberry. From what Lucy writes in her book this ring was stolen from a hotel room break in, in what I’m thinking is sometime in 1949/50.

This leads into another ring I see her wear frequently in the 1950s. Around the ILL Hollywood episodes time frame you see her wearing a ring similar to this aquamarine ring and I think I have been able to figure out from a few color photos that it might also be aquamarine. So maybe she had a copy made of the original? If so the band is slightly off from the original, which lends credibility to it being a different ring. If it is a copy I wonder when she actual got it. The posed photo from Forever Darling time that is at the beginning of the 60th Anniversary ILL book shows it pretty well.

Wedding Rings:

We all know the story that Lucy and Desi got married so fast that they had to get a ring from Woolworths. This is described as a brass ring. In Desi’s book he says about how Lucy always wore that ring and it got thinner and thinner. Lucy in her book mentions more about it. It always sat in her jewelry box alongside all her other big, expensive pieces of jewelry. Does this mean she did or did not wear it? Desi mentions that he gave Lucy a platinum ring for their second wedding. So my questions are: Did Lucy quickly get a ring to replace the brass one as her more permanent wedding ring? Did she wear the platinum one once she got it? If you look at a lot of photos (and some really good shots in movies) where you can see the aquamarine ring, about half the time you can see Lucy is wearing another ring (I’m assuming wedding ring) under it. This ring always looks to be gold. I also assume that anytime 1940-1960 when a character Lucy was playing should have a wedding ring on, it was her wedding ring. The only departure I remember off hand is Long, Long Trailer when Lucy has on a more traditional band with a diamond on. In the Dark Corner the whole movie she never has a ring on the wedding ring finger (character she plays is not married), except for one shot. In the back of the cab as she is watching for White Suit, Lucy has her left hand on the back of the seat. She clearly has what looks to be a wedding ring on. Probably since she was so out of it for this movie she forgot to take her ring off. On ILL, Lucy almost always had a plain wedding band ring on. On rare occasions you may see her substitute with another ring. I’ve only been able to catch an episode or two with no ring, and these weren’t the later years. For shows like Marriage License and Building a BBQ, do you think they used a prop ring since Lucy needs to have it off? I wouldn’t trust using my real one. Also contrary to what Lucy says in Building a BBQ, it did not have diamonds half-way around. In color photos of the 1950’s Lucy’s ring always showed gold in photos. So going back to the platinum one (which I assume is silver in color) then she is wearing a different ring?

The wedding ring saga once Lucy marries Gary has many more questions from me? Lucy on screen at this time is playing less married characters. For those that she is, I see many variations to the rings she wears that make me come to the conclusion they are prop rings. So I turn to real life photos, interviews, etc… where Lucy would be wearing her own jewelry. I can never find a consistent ring on her the whole time she is married to Gary. The closest I come is a larger gold ring with a black stone. What did her wedding ring look like? To come from 20 years of consistently wearing one with one husband, how come she never wore one with the second? I’ve never noticed Gary with one, but I know some guys are not big ring wearers, even my husband goes times not wearing his either for comfort, or to not snag it in a computer.

Now on to Desi’s wedding ring:

I never heard about them picking up a ring for him at Woolworths on that famous morning. When did he get his? From what I have been able to piece together either his was engraved or the St. Christopher medallion he always wore was engraved. I do see him in many photos 1941ish-mid 50’s wearing a wedding ring. About mid 50’s he starts wearing his on the chain with the St. Christopher medallion. This is easily spotted on ILL from time to time. Wearing the ring on the chain plays into the story of it getting lost in the ocean in Hawaii and since one of those two items was engraved the couple who found it knew who it belonged to, to be able to return it to Lucy backstage at Wildcat. Wonder how that scene played out with the people who found it. Not too many people with those names to have to run a missing item ad. Recently there was an early 90’s interview with Desi Jr, posted on the Lounge that mentioned the ring being returned to Lucy story. What I did not know is that Desi had a copy made. To have a copy done so late in a failing marriage says something.

While we are on the topic of rings, lets just throw in some of my observations on Viv. She was always a faithful wedding ring wearer too. Once she marries John Dodds I notice her ring more. In some very early Lucy Show episodes she is seen wearing it. For every guest appearance after that, through Here’s Lucy and on she has her wedding ring on. It’s very distinctive so I know it. Catch it in color sometime, it’s a thicker silver band, with a darker blue band going around the middle.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let’s talk about Lucy’s Rings. I’ve become rather obsessed over them lately and need to break down some observations and questions I’ve had.

Lucy in her book refers to this as her engagement ring. Well since we all know they eloped it would not technically be an engagement ring, but since she got jipped out of one by eloping, I’m assuming Desi gave her one to make up for that. This ring you see Lucy wear very much in the 1940’s. I’ve sort of become obsessed in trying to find it in movies and photos. The Technicolor Tessie Life spread has her wearing it along with it showing up in the dressing room scene in Duberry. From what Lucy writes in her book this ring was stolen from a hotel room break in, in what I’m thinking is sometime in 1949/50.

This leads into another ring I see her wear frequently in the 1950s. Around the ILL Hollywood episodes time frame you see her wearing a ring similar to this aquamarine ring and I think I have been able to figure out from a few color photos that it might also be aquamarine. So maybe she had a copy made of the original? If so the band is slightly off from the original, which lends credibility to it being a different ring. If it is a copy I wonder when she actual got it. The posed photo from Forever Darling time that is at the beginning of the 60th Anniversary ILL book shows it pretty well.

I'm not sure if the one from the 50s is a copy or the original, but just to add one more fact into your dossier, IIRC Lucy either gave or left this ring to Zo, who still has it to this day.

Wedding Rings:

We all know the story that Lucy and Desi got married so fast that they had to get a ring from Woolworths. This is described as a brass ring. In Desi’s book he says about how Lucy always wore that ring and it got thinner and thinner. Lucy in her book mentions more about it. It always sat in her jewelry box alongside all her other big, expensive pieces of jewelry. Does this mean she did or did not wear it? Desi mentions that he gave Lucy a platinum ring for their second wedding. So my questions are: Did Lucy quickly get a ring to replace the brass one as her more permanent wedding ring? Did she wear the platinum one once she got it? If you look at a lot of photos (and some really good shots in movies) where you can see the aquamarine ring, about half the time you can see Lucy is wearing another ring (I’m assuming wedding ring) under it. This ring always looks to be gold. I also assume that anytime 1940-1960 when a character Lucy was playing should have a wedding ring on, it was her wedding ring. The only departure I remember off hand is Long, Long Trailer when Lucy has on a more traditional band with a diamond on. In the Dark Corner the whole movie she never has a ring on the wedding ring finger (character she plays is not married), except for one shot. In the back of the cab as she is watching for White Suit, Lucy has her left hand on the back of the seat. She clearly has what looks to be a wedding ring on. Probably since she was so out of it for this movie she forgot to take her ring off. On ILL, Lucy almost always had a plain wedding band ring on. On rare occasions you may see her substitute with another ring. I’ve only been able to catch an episode or two with no ring, and these weren’t the later years. For shows like Marriage License and Building a BBQ, do you think they used a prop ring since Lucy needs to have it off? I wouldn’t trust using my real one. Also contrary to what Lucy says in Building a BBQ, it did not have diamonds half-way around. In color photos of the 1950’s Lucy’s ring always showed gold in photos. So going back to the platinum one (which I assume is silver in color) then she is wearing a different ring?

The wedding ring saga once Lucy marries Gary has many more questions from me? Lucy on screen at this time is playing less married characters. For those that she is, I see many variations to the rings she wears that make me come to the conclusion they are prop rings. So I turn to real life photos, interviews, etc… where Lucy would be wearing her own jewelry. I can never find a consistent ring on her the whole time she is married to Gary. The closest I come is a larger gold ring with a black stone. What did her wedding ring look like? To come from 20 years of consistently wearing one with one husband, how come she never wore one with the second? I’ve never noticed Gary with one, but I know some guys are not big ring wearers, even my husband goes times not wearing his either for comfort, or to not snag it in a computer.

Now on to Desi’s wedding ring:

I never heard about them picking up a ring for him at Woolworths on that famous morning. When did he get his? From what I have been able to piece together either his was engraved or the St. Christopher medallion he always wore was engraved. I do see him in many photos 1941ish-mid 50’s wearing a wedding ring. About mid 50’s he starts wearing his on the chain with the St. Christopher medallion. This is easily spotted on ILL from time to time. Wearing the ring on the chain plays into the story of it getting lost in the ocean in Hawaii and since one of those two items was engraved the couple who found it knew who it belonged to, to be able to return it to Lucy backstage at Wildcat. Wonder how that scene played out with the people who found it. Not too many people with those names to have to run a missing item ad. Recently there was an early 90’s interview with Desi Jr, posted on the Lounge that mentioned the ring being returned to Lucy story. What I did not know is that Desi had a copy made. To have a copy done so late in a failing marriage says something.

While we are on the topic of rings, lets just throw in some of my observations on Viv. She was always a faithful wedding ring wearer too. Once she marries John Dodds I notice her ring more. In some very early Lucy Show episodes she is seen wearing it. For every guest appearance after that, through Here’s Lucy and on she has her wedding ring on. It’s very distinctive so I know it. Catch it in color sometime, it’s a thicker silver band, with a darker blue band going around the middle.

Geez, do you have a book coming out on all this? LOL! All i ever noticed was that she was a typical LEO and always wore these gigantic flashy rings. Didn't Lizzie's diamond look great on that beautiful manicured hand of hers? Anyhoo, off the top of my head, all i can add is that Desi felt bad she wore that cheap Woolworth's type ring so he had the ring COVERED in platinum and that's the one she wore, same one, different covering.

But i'll be looking at her rings from now on on her shows and in the movies. How about her other jewels? They had that robbery on Roxbury, hence the bringing in those wrought iron gates, and Lucy said Desi replaced every piece of jewellery she had lost. Then there was the hotel one you mentionned. I once noticed the necklace she wore at her Friar's Club tribute was worn by Lucie somewhere. Then there were those famous earrings, the two giant diamonds in each ear came from Desi? I assume the two giant hanging ones from Here's Lucy were from gary? The diamond necklace she wore for the Stone Pillow Joan Rivers interview was also from gary i presume?

Thanks, Brock for the information to the whereabouts of that ring. Does anyone know what other significant pieces of jewelry were left to family members? I’m pretty sure someone posted on the Lounge a long time ago that Lucie has the wedding rings, but then I would figure that one of the kids would, it usually ends up that way.

I've seen her wear the ring that's on her finger in this photo (listed on eBay) many times. Anyone know this history of it? Seems like no matter what she was wearing or the event she was attending, the ring was there. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUCILLE-BALL-stunning-beautiful-at-home-close-up-portrait-photo-8x10-RARE-/110987380079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d75d056f

(sorry for adding the link, could figure out how to upload a photo)

Claude, do you remember where you heard the story of having the original ring replated? That’s one story I never came across. So she really did wear the cheap dime store ring for close to 9 years?

As for other jewelry in the Brady book it mentions one of the first pieces Desi bought for Lucy was a watch pin. My best guess is that she wears this in A Girl, A Guy and A Gob in the scene where she is taking late night dictation in the office. She even checks the time on it.

I've seen her wear the ring that's on her finger in this photo (listed on eBay) many times. Anyone know this history of it? Seems like no matter what she was wearing or the event she was attending, the ring was there. http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d75d056f

I believe that is the ring during the Gary era I was referring to. It's the only one that has any sort of re-wear that I can figure out.

I've seen her wear the ring that's on her finger in this photo (listed on eBay) many times. Anyone know this history of it? Seems like no matter what she was wearing or the event she was attending, the ring was there. http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d75d056f

(sorry for adding the link, could figure out how to upload a photo)

Oh yeah, i remember that one, one of the most beautiful rings she had. And you're right, she did wear it often.

Claude, do you remember where you heard the story of having the original ring replated? That’s one story I never came across. So she really did wear the cheap dime store ring for close to 9 years?

As for other jewelry in the Brady book it mentions one of the first pieces Desi bought for Lucy was a watch pin. My best guess is that she wears this in A Girl, A Guy and A Gob in the scene where she is taking late night dictation in the office. She even checks the time on it.

Nope, sorry Shel, but as bad as my memory is, i do know for a fact that Lucy said that Desi had it covered in platinum because it was such a cheap ring. I'm pretty sure it was one of the various Lucy biographies.

I believe when Lucy said I had it in the jewelry box for years that just means she hasn't worn it in years and it still remains there. But I do not doubt she wore the hell out of it.

Great thread idea!

Seems like I remember reading something about a charm bracelet, or something, with all Desi's records re-created on the bracelet? Was I dreaming that? I suppose Lucie has that in her jewelry box. Anyone? JK

I wonder if that gigantic necklace she wore at the A Star is Born premiere has been turned into a chandelier at Lucie's house.

I believe her A Star is Born premiere jewelry popped up a few times on Here's Lucy. Here's a picture of, I think, Lucy wearing it in "Lucy and Jack Benny's Biography." She also wore this in "Lucy, the Wealthy Widow."

tumblr_lxqsicgY1b1qe4w1ko3_250.gif

JBB.png

I believe her A Star is Born premiere jewelry popped up a few times on Here's Lucy. Here's a picture of, I think, Lucy wearing it in "Lucy and Jack Benny's Biography." She also wore this in "Lucy, the Wealthy Widow."

tumblr_lxqsicgY1b1qe4w1ko3_250.gif

O M G , the chandelier was G R E E N ????? Now you see, this is typical Lucy, it looked sensational with the dress she had at the premiere but looks awful on the Here's Lucy show BECAUSE it doesn't go with a dress that's competes with it.

Archived