Lucy introductions

LooseLucy

I was just wondering, how were each of you introduced to Lucille Ball & her body of work? Forgive me if this topic has been overdone but, I always really enjoy hearing others stories as to how they became interested in the lady herself. I am aware that the vast majority first saw I Love Lucy but, who turned you on to that? Was it from the very early stages of your life or did you become aware only after growing a bit older?

My personal story begins with a gentleman who has been my great aunt's neighbor for his entire life. She and I would take walks to and from his home when his elderly mother lived with him and we would pay her a visit quite often. When he wasn't at work, he would sometimes sit in the living room while my aunt and his mother would be chatting and he'd pop in a VHS of I Love Lucy. At the time, I was three and completely unaware of what this 'new' show was but, I recall being completely enthralled because it wasn't in color and I always took notice of the pretty lady who was most often on the screen. (I had a thing for pretty ladies from a very young age. I remember coming home from Kindergarten & describing my teacher down to her hair color and how long it was. That is not meant to be taken the wrong way. I just appreciated an aesthetically pleasing woman when I saw one. Anyway....) He soon realized apparently, that I was taking a great interest in the show as well because, before long, he was allowing me to borrow three tapes at a time which had multiple episodes on each one. I would keep them for a week or so and return them begging for more. I remember when he sold them or something and how devastated I was and hence, the search and insatiable interest took form. Through Lucy, my love for classic film & television has expanded and evolved greatly other the past 22 years. I'm an avid film fanatic but, all of that love & appreciation stems from a child's fascination with the "lovely lady in the pretty dresses that's always gets in trouble even when she's just trying to be nice." My four year old description, by the way.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad was away a lot when I was growing up, so when he came home on the weekends one of the things we enjoyed doing together was watching I Love Lucy on Nick At Nite. I was about 11 or 12 at the time. From there I got Michael McClay's ILL book and did a report on Lucy my senior year of high school. And that's basically been that way now for 15 years. Can't really explain why I'm so fascinated by her but I am. Just think she's so awesome. ;)

I Love Lucy used to be shown on the ABC (Channel 2) here in Australia every evening from memory after the 6pm news. I used to VCR is and become obsessed with it and then got the episode guide book (can't remember what it was called) and one day they showed an episode out of order and I called up Channel 2 to find out what's going on and if they will show the one they missed LOL! Then they showed Here's Lucy as well a couple of years later but NEVER saw The Lucy Show on free to air TV. I actually don't believe that has even been shown here in Australia. It's either ILL or HL. Only saw TLS on DVD. Don't even think I ever saw that on VHS!

First ever Lucy movie I watched was The Long Long Trailer and then Mame from recollection.

My parents had their television on and Lucy was on it. It was "The Lucy Show' on Monday nights and "I Love Lucy" in the daytime. In the late 1990's and early 2000's I started buying reduced priced "I Love Lucy" and "The Lucy And Desi Comedy Hour" episodes in the video stores. I had a friend send me tapes of "The Lucy Show" that were shown on "Nick At Nite". Next I was buying the public domain episodes of "The Lucy Show".

I was always one to love classic television. I loved Andy Griffith from a young age then it became I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched in early elementary school. Then while sitting at home one night my parents had this thing on called the I Love Lucy 50th Anniversary. I thought it was fasinating. Then 2 weeks later I was flipping through the channels on my Grandma's TV and I saw the words I Love Lucy, the same title in what I saw a couple weeks before. So I decided to watch it. The episode was Fred and Ethel Fight. I laughed so damn hard at this lady in black and white. They had a 4 episode marathon, then came Lucy Fakes Illness, I became officially in love.

Lucy captured my soul. I wanted to be Lucy Ricardo, her humor and her beauty. I remember being able to recognize the love between Lucy and Ricky. I don't think I ever found out they were married, I just assumed. But for the first couple years I felt like Lucy was a getaway for me from the bullying at school until I got bullied for that too. I refrained myself from watching it because of how cruel people became about it. The only thing that made me smile.

But I remember the first thing I recieved was The Funny Life of Lucy part 1 & 2 and then a couple volumes of season one I think that was in 2002. I remember constantly looking up Lucy facts at that time on the internet too, I didn't play games. I expanded my knowledge of the woman, Lucille Ball. The best thing I ever did. Made my love of theatre, comedy, strength, and belief of true love stronger. I've been a Lucy fan for half my life and I plan on continuing until death do us part. Unless Lucy airs in heaven! :)

My dad was away a lot when I was growing up, so when he came home on the weekends one of the things we enjoyed doing together was watching I Love Lucy on Nick At Nite. I was about 11 or 12 at the time. From there I got Michael McClay's ILL book and did a report on Lucy my senior year of high school. And that's basically been that way now for 15 years. Can't really explain why I'm so fascinated by her but I am. Just think she's so awesome. ;)

Taylor - not familiar with McClay; title of book, please. Thanks.

Simply put:

My granddaughter, now 23, was born on Lucille's birthday;

I read some local p.r.; told her; little did I know she was a WILD 'I Love Lucy' fan; she was 9-10 then.

I took her to Museum and trolley ride around Lucy sites; and when a great picture came from my camera

of her facing Lucille in the Museum, I had it put in the newspaper, (bragging rights section for grand-

parents or parents);

Took photot to the Gift Center to see if I could get it autographed by Lucie Arnaz coming in to town for a fundraiser; She did;

I began volunteering, nearly full-time at the old Gift Center for 5 years

Lucille became an obsession for me when the then, Exec. Dir., asked me to find one thing per day from

books written by her and from the internet to fill up a whole year, to run on the Center Website upcoming

the following year

By the time I had found 366 things and filled the YEAR, I had PAGES on many of the other days!!!!

I was addicted!

Eight years-plus a few months later, I am editing what will be a very large diary of Lucille Ball and company,

and I've barely scratched the surface

She grew up in Celoron with my father and aunt (same grade); my father two years older; there is no way

they didn't know each other, since she hung at the Park; he at the pool hall across the street.

I can't remember the title but it had every episode of ILL listed, etc. Maybe someone else knows.

It's a creative title: I Love Lucy

Or formally, "I Love Lucy: The Complete Picture History of the Most Popular TV Show Ever"

The first time I can remember saying my favorite tv shows was ILL was in 6th grade. Around this time in the summer and after school I would stay at my grandparents. A network that was a precursor to Comedy Central was showing the Lucy Show. I watched these every afternoon. I believe it was in the summer at some point that I started watching ILL in the morning on our local Fox affiliate. So I do believe my first memorable watching of Lucy was TLS.

At this point I am a mild fan. The Home Movies airs when I am in 8th grade and that was it for me. I had to find out everything about this woman. I went to the bookstore to see if they had any Lucy books and picked up Desilu. What a great book to be the first. I read it 3 times in a row.

About this time we went on vacation to LA. I spent 2 hours in the Lucy tribute at Universal. I think I made my dad go buy more film.

Throughout high school Lucy is starting to be shown on Nick at Night and I tape a bunch of stuff. I start collecting things. I spend my study halls in the library requesting old magazines to read articles. I look through books that may have Lucy mentions.

I got my first computer and AOL account when I was 16 and entered the Lucy fandom world. I joined the old Bolis mailing list and met my first fans and started to learn all kinds of Lucy things.

My first event was Lucy Fest in Jamestown when I was 17. It was the year the museum opened. My first convention followed when I was 18 in 97’

Ever since then things have progressed in that I have been to Jamestown many more times, the LA convention again in 99. As I got older, moved out and made money I started to buy more collectibles (I prefer vintage) and made a room in my house for the collection. I’ve also amassed a large collection of shows/appearances on VHS over the years from tape trading with so many fans. With DVD I’ve converted what is not available and bought what is.

I think I came into the fan world at a very good time. I regret not liking Lucy when she was alive but I was a kid in the 80’s. The 90’s were a great time for so much being done about Lucy. Books, festivals, conventions, the internet, ebay, etc… I think my mom thought it was all a passing fad when I was younger. Over 20 years later I’ve proved her wrong.

I started watching lucy when I was a little girl. I saw I Love Lucy for the first time when I was 9 or 10. I instantly loved it and every about her.By the time I was a teenager, I bought her first series on DVD. I then started collecting her dolls and some clothing. That was mild compared to getting her portrait on my forearm in 2011. I saved up for a long time just to get it! The world is so crazy and scary. Watching her in any capacity calms me down and makes me crack up. I will forever be obsessed with the Queen of Comedy!

I was five when I went downstairs to my grandparents and watched them go crazy laughing at Lucy, so I was hooked in 1955, the show started in '51, but TV came to Canada in '52, we got cable right away and that meant getting the US stations which showed Lucy, for some reason I remember discovering The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour as it played every summer when I was out of school. From that I eventually graduated to Lucy 18 times a week. ILL three times a day and The Lucy show 3 times a week, of which one was the French version. On top of that I enjoyed Lucy and became her biggest fan by watching everything she did, movies, game shows, guest appearances on other people's shows and talk shows and commercials, anything she did, I was HOOKED big time.

Hi Loose Lucy, & welcome! :)

When I was young my mom would serve herself & us kids dinner before my dad got home from work. There was a small TV on the counter & I Love Lucy reruns were on at 6:00PM. We watched her show every weekday. When I was a teen I found the book "Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel" in my moms bookcase (hard to miss with that big yellow cover!) When the big bookstores opened I started reading more & more about Lucy, plus picked up misc DVDs here & there.

It wasn't until I bought & watched the complete ILL series when it first came out on DVD that I became the fan I am today. The bonus features were were a treasure trove of info, plus the set included all the Lucy-Desi comedy hours which I had never seen before. From there I actively searched out Lucy books I had not yet read, & DVD specials I hadn't seen. I remember really liking daughter Lucie's documentary about her parents. I saw The Lucy Show & Here's Lucy series for the first time when they were released over the past few years.

And then, thru some misc Lucy searching online, I found this site. Here, I don't have to try and explain why I like Lucy so much, because everyone feels the same way & understands :lucy1: .

I wish I had an interesting story of some big "Lucy" revelation, but I don't remember actually NOT being a fan. That being said, I have three possibilities for my earliest Lucy memories:

1) Sneaking off during day camp at some fitness club when I was about three or four trying to find a TV to watch "Ricky's Life Story" (I did!)

2) Staying home sick from pre-school one day, sitting on the couch watching "The Indian Show"

3) My dad installing our first satellite dish and my brother excitedly calling me into the basement to say he found Lucy in COLOUR!!! (Lucy, The Camp Cook)

I wish I had an interesting story of some big "Lucy" revelation, but I don't remember actually NOT being a fan. That being said, I have three possibilities for my earliest Lucy memories:

1) Sneaking off during day camp at some fitness club when I was about three or four trying to find a TV to watch "Ricky's Life Story" (I did!)

2) Staying home sick from pre-school one day, sitting on the couch watching "The Indian Show"

3) My dad installing our first satellite dish and my brother excitedly calling me into the basement to say he found Lucy in COLOUR!!! (Lucy, The Camp Cook)

Oh yeah, reminds me of the week I ditched school to see Lucy on Password five days in a row, she was playing with her FRIENDS, so I figured Hope, Berle and so on, but it was Mary Wickes and Dick Patterson among many others. Didn`t we all watch Lucy whenever we were sick, she was the best medicine ever!

I was always one to love classic television. I loved Andy Griffith from a young age then it became I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched in early elementary school. Then while sitting at home one night my parents had this thing on called the I Love Lucy 50th Anniversary. I thought it was fasinating. Then 2 weeks later I was flipping through the channels on my Grandma's TV and I saw the words I Love Lucy, the same title in what I saw a couple weeks before. So I decided to watch it. The episode was Fred and Ethel Fight. I laughed so damn hard at this lady in black and white. They had a 4 episode marathon, then came Lucy Fakes Illness, I became officially in love.

Lucy captured my soul. I wanted to be Lucy Ricardo, her humor and her beauty. I remember being able to recognize the love between Lucy and Ricky. I don't think I ever found out they were married, I just assumed. But for the first couple years I felt like Lucy was a getaway for me from the bullying at school until I got bullied for that too. I refrained myself from watching it because of how cruel people became about it. The only thing that made me smile.

But I remember the first thing I recieved was The Funny Life of Lucy part 1 & 2 and then a couple volumes of season one I think that was in 2002. I remember constantly looking up Lucy facts at that time on the internet too, I didn't play games. I expanded my knowledge of the woman, Lucille Ball. The best thing I ever did. Made my love of theatre, comedy, strength, and belief of true love stronger. I've been a Lucy fan for half my life and I plan on continuing until death do us part. Unless Lucy airs in heaven! :)

This, in particular, has really touched me. I understand where you're coming from as I, too, was a victim of extreme bullying all through my school career. Lucy became a beacon of light, an example of strength and perseverance in the face of hardship. I credit Lucy's example as being one of the main reasons that I am still alive today. Fortunately enough for me, Lucy was the only area in my life that actually seemed to make me slightly more interesting to my peers rather than just being an easy target. At one particularly low point, as I'm sure you must have felt, Lucy was the only friend I had. She's family and to this day, when nothing else can calm me, her voice does the trick, always.

Simply put:

My granddaughter, now 23, was born on Lucille's birthday;

I read some local p.r.; told her; little did I know she was a WILD 'I Love Lucy' fan; she was 9-10 then.

I took her to Museum and trolley ride around Lucy sites; and when a great picture came from my camera

of her facing Lucille in the Museum, I had it put in the newspaper, (bragging rights section for grand-

parents or parents);

Took photot to the Gift Center to see if I could get it autographed by Lucie Arnaz coming in to town for a fundraiser; She did;

I began volunteering, nearly full-time at the old Gift Center for 5 years

Lucille became an obsession for me when the then, Exec. Dir., asked me to find one thing per day from

books written by her and from the internet to fill up a whole year, to run on the Center Website upcoming

the following year

By the time I had found 366 things and filled the YEAR, I had PAGES on many of the other days!!!!

I was addicted!

Eight years-plus a few months later, I am editing what will be a very large diary of Lucille Ball and company,

and I've barely scratched the surface

She grew up in Celoron with my father and aunt (same grade); my father two years older; there is no way

they didn't know each other, since she hung at the Park; he at the pool hall across the street.

Oh my goodness, Lee! What a fabulous journey you've had!

I'm assuming you live in or near the Jamestown area then? I've always loved the drive to get there from my former home in PA. Very scenic and in Ridgway, PA they have (or had, don't know if it's still there) an old fashioned ice cream parlour which I always made a point of visiting coming both ways. Anyway, I'm very interested in writing, having kept a journal for most of my life. I dabble in poetry, stories, mostly nonfiction. I don't know how much you're allowed to talk about your editing and such seeing as it hasn't been released yet but, I would certainly love to hear more about that if you ever feel like talking extensively about it!

I was five when I went downstairs to my grandparents and watched them go crazy laughing at Lucy, so I was hooked in 1955, the show started in '51, but TV came to Canada in '52, we got cable right away and that meant getting the US stations which showed Lucy, for some reason I remember discovering The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour as it played every summer when I was out of school. From that I eventually graduated to Lucy 18 times a week. ILL three times a day and The Lucy show 3 times a week, of which one was the French version. On top of that I enjoyed Lucy and became her biggest fan by watching everything she did, movies, game shows, guest appearances on other people's shows and talk shows and commercials, anything she did, I was HOOKED big time.

Claude, is it safe to say that you are the most seasoned fan among us?!

I, too, am interested in ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that Lucy has ever taken part in. Actually, one of the most interesting things, for me, that you shared with me at one point, was 'Lucy Calls the President.' Having lived in Georgia for a few years, I took a liking to Jimmy Carter based upon his humanitarian work worldwide and I just thought it was neat that the two came together, in a way.

This, in particular, has really touched me. I understand where you're coming from as I, too, was a victim of extreme bullying all through my school career. Lucy became a beacon of light, an example of strength and perseverance in the face of hardship. I credit Lucy's example as being one of the main reasons that I am still alive today. Fortunately enough for me, Lucy was the only area in my life that actually seemed to make me slightly more interesting to my peers rather than just being an easy target. At one particularly low point, as I'm sure you must have felt, Lucy was the only friend I had. She's family and to this day, when nothing else can calm me, her voice does the trick, always.

You nailed my feelings exactly. Every problem whether bullying, suicidal thoughts, family issues, depression, anxiety, or anything she always gave me a purpose to keep going. Not only through the laughter but her strength as a person.

I remember the most surreal dream I had was one that involved her. I believe every dream has a hidden meaning. I was also told and taught in the dream world that the deceased will come to you to provide strength and support, if there is a spirtual connection there. But the dream has to be vivid. I believed this even before this incident.

But anyways I was at the point of deep depression. In the dream I am sitting in my room and Lucille walks in and sits at the foot of my bed. I instantly start telling her my problems and she walked me through them. I am also one of those people to bottle everything inside and not tell anyone about my deepest thoughts. But every single problem I was facing was talked between us. To me she wasn't a celebrity, she was sort of a guardian angel in the dream. I remember every detail of that dream.

Was there a spirtual connection in there? You may say I'm crazy but I feel like there was one. This is the only dream I can say everything word for word, how the room felt, how she looked, how the room was, every detail. This is one thing I never really have told anyone just because of how real it felt.

Also let's just say that dream saved my life.

Yes, Annaleigh's post WAS touching, as was your reply, add me to the bullying club, I was a big nosed skinny gay kid, so you can imagine what I went through, I even had to pay off a bully for years. So, yes, Lucy was always the light at the end of the tunnel.

Claude, is it safe to say that you are the most seasoned fan among us?!

I, too, am interested in ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that Lucy has ever taken part in. Actually, one of the most interesting things, for me, that you shared with me at one point, was 'Lucy Calls the President.' Having lived in Georgia for a few years, I took a liking to Jimmy Carter based upon his humanitarian work worldwide and I just thought it was neat that the two came together, in a way.

I have always been a huge fan of The Carters, best President you ever had, too decent for the job I guess, the only President to do even better work outside the job. Well, Clinton too for that matter.

You nailed my feelings exactly. Every problem whether bullying, suicidal thoughts, family issues, depression, anxiety, or anything she always gave me a purpose to keep going. Not only through the laughter but her strength as a person.

I remember the most surreal dream I had was one that involved her. I believe every dream has a hidden meaning. I was also told and taught in the dream world that the deceased will come to you to provide strength and support, if there is a spirtual connection there. But the dream has to be vivid. I believed this even before this incident.

But anyways I was at the point of deep depression. In the dream I am sitting in my room and Lucille walks in and sits at the foot of my bed. I instantly start telling her my problems and she walked me through them. I am also one of those people to bottle everything inside and not tell anyone about my deepest thoughts. But every single problem I was facing was talked between us. To me she wasn't a celebrity, she was sort of a guardian angel in the dream. I remember every detail of that dream.

Was there a spirtual connection in there? You may say I'm crazy but I feel like there was one. This is the only dream I can say everything word for word, how the room felt, how she looked, how the room was, every detail. This is one thing I never really have told anyone just because of how real it felt.

Also let's just say that dream saved my life.

You sound like AussieLaura here, wish to God I could have the kind of vivid dreams you describe, just never happens to me. Yet I would want that so much. I see it's not just bullying we have in common, but anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts too. GUESS THEY ARE ALL TIED IN SOMEHOW!

Yes, Annaleigh's post WAS touching, as was your reply, add me to the bullying club, I was a big nosed skinny gay kid, so you can imagine what I went through, I even had to pay off a bully for years. So, yes, Lucy was always the light at the end of the tunnel.

That's kinda weird so many people here at problems with bullying as a child. I did too and I also had a very lonely childhood at home so Lucy was an escape for me too.

You sound like AussieLaura here, wish to God I could have the kind of vivid dreams you describe, just never happens to me. Yet I would want that so much. I see it's not just bullying we have in common, but anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts too. GUESS THEY ARE ALL TIED IN SOMEHOW!

I have Lucy dreams once in a while but the only vivid one I remember is her giving me a lecture about something in her Desilu office. She was seated behind the desk and giving me advice about something. Can't remember what LOL.

Archived