Famous Episodes You Don't Personally Care For

The opposite of the "Unpopular episodes you love and why" thread. Are there any of the really famous, super popular episodes that some people may not like all that much?

I know I've said this elsewhere, but I'm not crazy about Lucy's Italian Movie. It's just never done all that much for me. The grape stomping sequence is brilliantly executed, but the show as a whole has never quite clicked with me. I can't quite explain it. Part of it has to do with me not really liking the whole European arc to begin with. I just feel the show was losing track of itself by that point. But that's me.

I can't really think of any other I Love Lucy examples. For Here's Lucy, I'm not wild about Lucy Meets the Burtons. Yes, I can understand why that episode was such a huge deal, and it is certainly a good one, but it isn't the be-all-end-all of the series for me the way it is for so many people.

Anyone else or am I just going to get lynched? ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of the opposite of the "Unpopular episodes you love and why" thread. Are there any of the really famous, super popular episodes that some people may not like all that much?

I know I've said this elsewhere, but I'm not crazy about Lucy's Italian Movie. It's just never done all that much for me. The grape stomping sequence is brilliantly executed, but the show as a whole has never quite clicked with me. I can't quite explain it. Part of it has to do with me not really liking the whole European arc to begin with. I just feel the show was losing track of itself by that point. But that's me.

I can't really think of any other I Love Lucy examples. For Here's Lucy, I'm not wild about Lucy Meets the Burtons. Yes, I can understand why that episode was such a huge deal, and it is certainly a good one, but it isn't the be-all-end-all of the series for me the way it is for so many people.

Aside from the scene between Lucy and La Wickes, I am not a big fan of The Ballet. Although I do like Job Switching, I can't think of anything that is as overrated as that particular installment.

As for The Lucy Show, so many people praise Main Street USA up the wazoo... I don't get it.

Aside from the scene between Lucy and La Wickes, I am not a big fan of The Ballet. Although I do like Job Switching, I can't think of anything that is as overrated as that particular installment.

As for The Lucy Show, so many people praise Main Street USA up the wazoo... I don't get it.

Job Switching is NOT overrated, it's hilarious from start to finish and instead of Lucy having her one blockbuster comedy scene, she has two on this particular episode.  Even the other three are able to shine for once.  Feel the same way about The Ballet though, although comedienne Lily Tomlin lists it as her all time fave.

I like "Job Switching," but I think the funniest scene is between Ricky and Fred in the kitchen. The whole show is superbly well-written. But that scene is my favorite. Never been enthusiastic about "Bon Voyage" -- not enough interaction between Lucy and the others. And the only pregnancy shows I'm crazy about are "Lucy Hires An English Tutor" and "Lucy's Showbiz Swan Song." 

I agree about "Lucy Meets the Burtons." (Is there any other episode from HERE'S LUCY that's "famous"?) Well, since this seems to be a well-liked one around here -- I don't think "Lucy Is N.G. As An R.N." is anything more than adequate. 

I like "Job Switching," but I think the funniest scene is between Ricky and Fred in the kitchen. The whole show is superbly well-written. But that scene is my favorite. Never been enthusiastic about "Bon Voyage" -- not enough interaction between Lucy and the others. And the only pregnancy shows I'm crazy about are "Lucy Hires An English Tutor" and "Lucy's Showbiz Swan Song." 

I agree about "Lucy Meets the Burtons." (Is there any other episode from HERE'S LUCY that's "famous"?) Well, since this seems to be a well-liked one around here -- I don't think "Lucy Is N.G. As An R.N." is anything more than adequate. 

Ok fine, i'll get TWO ropes.  LOL!  Amazing though how our opinions can differ so much, I walk out of the room when that kitchen scene with Ricky and Fred plays, so fake and overdone.  But the chocolates I've seen a thousand times and am quite ready for ten thousand more.

I don't get why I'm supposed to like Lucy Dates Dean Martin so much. I think it's one of the better ones of season 4 but it's not in my personal top 20 or 30 I'd bet for the Lucy Show. After I found out Lucy loved the episode I rewatched it with a fair mind and still don't get the adoration. It's okay but nothing special.

I also don't think LA at Last was a stand-out episode. I like it well enough, but I prefer a few others from the California series more.

I agree about Job Switching. I've always liked that episode but I've never loved it. It's based on the second part of a MFH two parter. The first installment inspired Equal Rights, an episode I vastly prefer and which I find highly underrated.

I've also never been wild about The Operetta. Another overrated installment if you ask me. Cute but not stellar.

I don't get why I'm supposed to like Lucy Dates Dean Martin so much. I think it's one of the better ones of season 4 but it's not in my personal top 20 or 30 I'd bet for the Lucy Show. After I found out Lucy loved the episode I rewatched it with a fair mind and still don't get the adoration. It's okay but nothing special.

I also don't think LA at Last was a stand-out episode. I like it well enough, but I prefer a few others from the California series more.

Maybe because you weren't THERE at that time, Dean was a legend and Lucy never looked lovelier, the script was just excellent, she wasn't an idiot like in so many other badly written episodes etc etc etc. 

The opposite of the "Unpopular episodes you love and why" thread. Are there any of the really famous, super popular episodes that some people may not like all that much?

I'm with you Brian, actually.  The block scene is of course, near genius but as for the build up to it, the best word I can come up with is "Mehhh"!  :D

Thanks for braving the inevitable brickbats.  But it's like I've said before: to each their own! :lucyhmm:

I agree one hundred percent.   It seems THE episodes they always talk about... are the ones I watch the least!  It's not that I HATE them,,, I just don't find them to be the STOP THE WORLD FANSTASTIC as I have heard.  (Lucy Does A TV Commercial excepted).  I think I would like the Taylor/Burton episode MORE if it had MORE Taylor!!!

Stop tying nooses (neece?) and share your thoughts. Just The Ballet?

There's nothing wrong with The Ballet or any of the 179 others, I love all of them and find the comments here picky and overly negative.  All right, Drafted and that's it.  And for her other series, the ones with animals. 

There's nothing wrong with The Ballet or any of the 179 others, I love all of them and find the comments here picky and overly negative. All right, Drafted and that's it. And for her other series, the ones with animals.

It's not that I feel anything is wrong with them. I just don't love some of them as much as other people do. And I question why some of them are as hugely popular as they are while others tend to get overlooked.

You don't question anyone criticizing Drafted even though that happens to be one I enjoy. But you don't see me getting bent out of shape over your feelings on it do you?

It's not that I feel anything is wrong with them. I just don't love some of them as much as other people do. And I question why some of them are as hugely popular as they are while others tend to get overlooked.

You don't question anyone criticizing Drafted even though that happens to be one I enjoy. But you don't see me getting bent out of shape over your feelings on it do you?

Hey, when people start finding fault with Job Switching, L A At Last and the Dean Martin Lucy show, I no longer want to discuss any of this, ok?  LOL!

The Ballet is one of my personal top favorites. I think the top episodes are all wonderful. They are some of the strongest of the series so they aren't considered overrated to me. Vitameatavegamin, Kramers Chocolate Factory, and Lucy soaking up lukel color keeps the series alive!

Archived