Lucy and Jack Benny present Emmys to Valerie Harper and Ed Asner (1970)

Not sure if this has been posted before or is in the Valerie thread, but I'll share it anyways. Enjoy! 

Regardless, glad you posted it HERE, could watch that all day.  What was it about Lucy and those damned low shoes, they're not elegant, I understand when she worked with small shrimps but here?

Lucy is gracious considering Gale Gordon was one of the nominees. You don't see any disappointment on her face when she announced the winner as Ed Asner. How wonderful it would have been for her to give it to Gale. If Gale had been nominated for the two seasons before this one with weaker competition, he might have gotten it. You can't argue with the choice of Asner, but then again Ed was not hampered with some of the lame scripts Gale was required to make something out of in those early Here's Lucy years.

Lucy didn't seem to have any sentimental attachment to "Wildcat". I wonder if she remembered Valerie in the chorus. Valerie appears several years later on a Dinah Shore talk show with Lucy and Carol Burnett but they can't get Lucy to say much about Wildcat. Funny, this Emmy show and Wildcat are only 10 years apart, but seem like a lifetime.

Do I recognize that dress from another occasion or HL episode? Seems familiar. And I never noticed her shoes. Nice of her not to tower over jack Benny. Wasn't this the Emmy show where she allegedly got the call about Desi Jr. being in an accident? She was chided by critics for hogging the microphone ( or am I confusing this one with her co-presenting with Groucho Marx?)

Lucy is gracious considering Gale Gordon was one of the nominees. You don't see any disappointment on her face when she announced the winner as Ed Asner. How wonderful it would have been for her to give it to Gale. If Gale had been nominated for the two seasons before this one with weaker competition, he might have gotten it. You can't argue with the choice of Asner, but then again Ed was not hampered with some of the lame scripts Gale was required to make something out of in those early Here's Lucy years.

Lucy didn't seem to have any sentimental attachment to "Wildcat". I wonder if she remembered Valerie in the chorus. Valerie appears several years later on a Dinah Shore talk show with Lucy and Carol Burnett but they can't get Lucy to say much about Wildcat. Funny, this Emmy show and Wildcat are only 10 years apart, but seem like a lifetime.

I think she considered Wildcat her big Broadway chance and she thought it was a flop, although it ran longer than many shows and she got a hit signature song from it too.

Neil:  Any chance you have the DATE of the Dinah show Lucille, Carol and Valerie were guesting?  Thanks if you do.  Loving you, JK

I can only give you a range based on my having access to a 1/2" open-reel b/w video tape recorder, a behemoth that weighed about 100 lbs. and required it's own special monitor (with rabbit ears!!) to record programs. For Lucy things, I would lug those two contraptions home under the guise of recording something educational. I did record this Dinah show but couldn't hang on to the 1/2" videotape as they were $20 each for an hour.....

So my guess is that it would have been spring or fall of 1976 or winter of 76/77 (not during summer school break). HC probably knows for sure. I remember it as being a very interesting show, mainly because Lucy seemed to be in a bit of a foul mood. Valeria Harper, carol Burnett and maybe Gale.

The Dinah! show aired November 16, 1976. It was to promote CBS Salutes Lucy. It's actually one of my favorite Lucy interviews. Carol and Gale were surprise guests. Valerie was also supposed to be a surprise, but she bumped into Lucy earlier in the week and, not realizing it was a surprise, told her she as going to be on the show. Lucy's "foul mood" moment was Dinah trying to have this long drawn out conversation about Wildcat. Valerie was talking about the out of town tryout and said she couldn't remember if they went to Boston in addition to Philadelphia. Lucy said she didn't remember either. Dinah won't let it go and keeps asking about it and Lucy responds, "Who the hell cares?" The line becomes a running joke throughout the show. Dinah later says that they had to kill time because Carol wasn't ready backstage. Lucy is reluctantly coaxed into singing "Hey, Look Me Over!" and she ends up performing it with enthusiasm. Lucy actually seems to be very happy in the company of Carol, Gale, and Valerie.

I've noticed this about Lucy on talk shows. Try to have a conversation about details to a story that really have no value to the story and she gets that, does this really matter attitude. I'm on her side when I have seen it, just get on with the story. More of that directness she was known for.

I've noticed this about Lucy on talk shows. Try to have a conversation about details to a story that really have no value to the story and she gets that, does this really matter attitude. I'm on her side when I have seen it, just get on with the story. More of that directness she was known for.

I love her attitude too but this is where a lot of the "Lucy was a cranky beatch" stories stem from.  I'm kinda the same way and everyone thinks I'm a beatch too.  lol

Ever see the one with Joan Rivers when Lucy is incredulous at Michele Lee going on and on about what she stole from this White House dinner?  Love it!

The Dinah! show aired November 16, 1976. It was to promote CBS Salutes Lucy. It's actually one of my favorite Lucy interviews. Carol and Gale were surprise guests. Valerie was also supposed to be a surprise, but she bumped into Lucy earlier in the week and, not realizing it was a surprise, told her she as going to be on the show. Lucy's "foul mood" moment was Dinah trying to have this long drawn out conversation about Wildcat. Valerie was talking about the out of town tryout and said she couldn't remember if they went to Boston in addition to Philadelphia. Lucy said she didn't remember either. Dinah won't let it go and keeps asking about it and Lucy responds, "Who the hell cares?" The line becomes a running joke throughout the show. Dinah later says that they had to kill time because Carol wasn't ready backstage. Lucy is reluctantly coaxed into singing "Hey, Look Me Over!" and she ends up performing it with enthusiasm. Lucy actually seems to be very happy in the company of Carol, Gale, and Valerie.

Wish YOU had reviewed every one of her shows, instead of Fiddlesticks.  That was awesome, felt like I just saw it, thanks. 

Archived