Moments on any Lucy show that make you cringe

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This dialogue in the I Love Lucy episode, The Camping Trip:

(((Lucy and Ricky arm in arm entering the living room from their bedroom)))

Lucy: Oh, Ricky, it's so wonderful having you around this morning. Didn't you like it?

Ricky: I sure did honey. 

Lucy: Oh, I sure did. I wish you could do it more often.

Ricky: uh ... will you let go of my arm long enough to put my coat on?

Lucy: Oh, sure.

This moment didn't make me cringe per se but it was a surprise considering that the network censors were so strict to anything sexual at the time.

When Lucy goes "WEEEEEEELLLL, I'm your Vitavittyviggyvat girl!" The way she says "girl" really annoys me. 

And some of the canned laughter that they use over and over, which is very noticable. Someone once said "the same people probably come back to see other tapings and laugh the exact same way!" One annoying laugh is in "The Ricardos Switch Apartments" when Lucy takes Ricky's coat over to the overstuffed closet. I think that's the first time we ever hear it. 

In TLS and HL however, you never hear the same laugh twice. Except for maybe this faint chuckle towards season 5. Here is where you can hear it. When Lucy and Harry have that "do you know what you just said" convo in "Memoirs," you can hear it in the pause just before Lucy says "Now ya made me forget." It's a faint chuckle which can be heard on many 70s sitcoms. I think even the Brady Bunch. 

Not cringeworthy but it always stands out to me. In Paris when Lucy says she is going to have Maurice come up here and make love to her right in front of Ricky. Now it didn't mean back then what it does know, but it makes me giggle to think of that scene.

I was interested to see when that term changed meanings and it was mid to late 60s.

I don't know why.. but last night watching the Little Ricky Gets A Drum episode... I was struck by LUCY'S false eye lashes... or her whole eye make up in that episode.. especially in the beginning... she looked.     well she looked like...       oh hell  she looked like a cheap whore... there I said it.  So many episodes of Lucille with flattering eye makeup/false eye lashes and for some reason this particular episode just stuck out to me as an example when her eye make up didn't flatter her.... and it really bothered me.. I guess I will never be able to enjoy this episode as I once used to... lol...   In fact the ONLY moment in the episode that I really like is when Viv slings that carpet sweeper around to the beat of the drum and yells.. .FRED... FRED?!... FRED FRED FRED!!!

I don't know why.. but last night watching the Little Ricky Gets A Drum episode... I was struck by LUCY'S false eye lashes... or her whole eye make up in that episode.. especially in the beginning... she looked.     well she looked like...       oh hell  she looked like a cheap whore... there I said it.  So many episodes of Lucille with flattering eye makeup/false eye lashes and for some reason this particular episode just stuck out to me as an example when her eye make up didn't flatter her.... and it really bothered me.. I guess I will never be able to enjoy this episode as I once used to... lol...   In fact the ONLY moment in the episode that I really like is when Viv slings that carpet sweeper around to the beat of the drum and yells.. .FRED... FRED?!... FRED FRED FRED!!!

Geez, "cheap whore"?? Really? Sacrilege!  :HALKING:

Every time I see someone saying how bad it was for Ricky to SPANK her, I cringe and lately as I watch the show and see how Ricky was a maniac who would rant and scream at her that he wanted to kill her or others saying they feared for her, i'm thinking isn't this WORSE? Lucy married to a chris brown type?

Its the spanking on TOP of those things that makes Ricky have some undertones one doesn't want to contemplate. I much prefer the episodes where he and Lucy play as equals rather than adversaries. Adds needed warmth to the character.

When Lucy goes "WEEEEEEELLLL, I'm your Vitavittyviggyvat girl!" The way she says "girl" really annoys me. 

:lucyhorror: Ok now you're really pushing it going after the most iconic bit in Lucy's career with the possible exception of the candy factory and probably the most famous tv episode of all time.   I think this opinion will be rather unpoopular.  And you probably pop out parties too!! :lucysmirk:

I myself could joyfully watch every section of this segment every day of my life and laugh hard every time!! :ill:

One of my alltime favorite episodes is Ethel's Home Town yet I still grimace at how Lucy, Fred, and Ricky deliberately set to wreck Ethel's performance, it just seems too mean, why not let Ethel have her little day in the sun in her hometown?  Of course the payoff is beautiful and a wonderful finale, still I don't like it as it's going on and it just seems particularly ungallant for Ricky to be part of it;  best friends can fight, spouses can fight, but being malicious to your wife's friend or friend's wife seems going too far.

Its the spanking on TOP of those things that makes Ricky have some undertones one doesn't want to contemplate. I much prefer the episodes where he and Lucy play as equals rather than adversaries. Adds needed warmth to the character.

I think even the most devout ILL fan has to say Ricky goes too far sometime and I'm sure that moment in the Hollywood episode where Lucy accidentally smacks Ricky one in the face, thinking it's the mannequin, has to be a secret guilty pleasure for most Lucy lovers.  (And probably a unspoken personal favorite bit for the Redheaded actress, too :lucyhehe: )

Lucy as the Japanese gardener in the Lucy Show.

I don't get the chedderchester list at all, but yes, this particular scene indeed does make me cringe.  I would be mortified if any of my Asian friends ever caught me watching that.  It's the Asian equivalent of a white person in blackface.

I would add to this list: Lucy acting out for Ethel how Ricky beats her in "The Black Eye," and Kim and her boyfriend singing "I've Got Love" on the "Kim Moves Out" episode of HL.  Don't get me wrong. I love to hear Lucie Arnaz sing, but not that rendition of that song.

Also, the scene in "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" where Ricky deliberately, and gleefully, tries to electrocute Lucy.

I believe it is in the introduction to Kim Moves Out, Lucie says she had no business singing that song. I found that pretty funny and one of those things that seems like a good idea when you are in your early 20s you regret later.

Yes, I remember her saying that and I appreciate it.  I don't feel so bad that it bugs me knowing it bugs her, too.  But that has irritated me for at least 30 years.  And that bad part, whenever I think about that scene, I start hearing that song playing over and over in my head -- like right now! -- and it drives me crazy!

Yes, I remember her saying that and I appreciate it.  I don't feel so bad that it bugs me knowing it bugs her, too.  But that has irritated me for at least 30 years.  And that bad part, whenever I think about that scene, I start hearing that song playing over and over in my head -- like right now! -- and it drives me crazy!

Interesting how people perceive things differently. It's been a while since I've seen that episode but I remember enjoying the song at the time. I thought it was one of her better musical moments. I'll have to re-watch it and see if I interpret it differently now, knowing how Lucie feels.

Archived